Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

QUICK QUESTION for the knowledgeable among you all. Have seen a cheap nearly new Deore M4100 11-46 10 speed cassette. My Vado SL 4.0 has the stock Deore 11-42 10 speed one. Any reason why I can't swap them over & give myself 4 precious extra teeth for the hills?! Chain length?

And while I'm on here, anyone know what length is the KMC e10 chain on the Vado SL 4? Is it 122 links or 138? Need to look at replacing my chain before the winter.

Thanks gang.

And while I'm on here, anyone know what length is the KMC e10 chain on the Vado SL 4? Is it 122 links or 138? Need to look at replacing my chain before the winter.
You need exactly 120 chain links for the 44T chainring and 42T in the cassette for Vado SL. If you swap the cassette for 46T granny gear, you would need 122 chain links. However, I am not sure whether your existing derailleur would accommodate the 11-46T cassette (the derailleur shall be SGS -- long cage -- and am not sure what I have in my Vado SL).

Last edited:
You need exactly 120 chain links for the 44T chainring and 42T in the cassette for Vado SL. If you swap the cassette for 46T granny gear, you would need 122 chain links. However, I am not sure whether your existing derailleur would accommodate the 11-46T cassette (the derailleur shall be SGS -- long cage -- and am not sure what I have in my Vado SL).
Thanks Stefan. That’s good to know re chain length. Just checked the shimano website & the Deore derailleur can handle cassettes up to 46 so in theory it should be ok. In theory. As I’ve swapped the chain ring for a 38T the original chain might be ok too; 44 + 42 (stock) versus 38 + 46

The jump up to the 46 is a pretty huge 37 to 46. Currently 37 to 42 and that jump seems to hesitate for ages so will be interesting.

I’ll report back once I try this. I’m just very curious to the motor’s response on the steep climbs. At 38/46 it should handle the gradient very well.

Took the bike out for a spin, only managed 18km, turned off the motor as was cycling slowly. Used a bit of assist to check how it was doing.
I could feel the difference compared to my Orbea (it has a dynamo) and was easy to pedal. I'm hoping to just stick to eco mode unless strong head wind or tired legs.

The 700x38c tyres was comfortable but caught it two minds about swapping it out, might actually wait till it shows wear or if it starts puncturing often.

20220820_102825.jpg

I lent my Vado SL to a close friend for a week (I'm setting off for a business travel early on Sunday). He is an experienced gravel cyclist who actually inducted me to the sport. I left the SL to him at 33/33, 50/50, and 100/100 assistance.

He instantly rode for 61 km playing with Eco, Sport, and Turbo, 25 km/h restricted or derestricted. His average speed was 27 km/h. For the first of the ride he rode in ECO restricted, then he started riding against headwind and was playing with assistance and the derestrictor. He returned with 13% of the main battery left.

He was absolutely delighted with the ride. He clearly mentioned a drop bar bike would perform better upwind (let him buy a Creo!) :) but the thing that made him exalted was the "fun factor" as he had a big grin on his face when riding. He said: "I'm too young for an e-bike yet (he's 40) but the thing let me decidedly ride faster with the same physical effort".

He will let his wife try the Vado SL, too. And I can see yet another e-biker in her soon! It always works that way...

That’s kind of you @Stefan Mikes

Go easy on us under 40s with SL’s! 😂 without my ebike there is no way I would have the a) time or b) energy to go to and from work 3-4 times a week on my 35km round trip. I am however incredibly motived to try and pedal past the motor cutout (25) I don’t have speedometer (don’t think I need on on the trails) and leave the iPhone with specialized app running in my backpack. The bike for me anyway is improving my fitness and gets me out when I otherwise wouldn’t ride!

I also go to the gym most lunch times and didn’t want the commute to stop me doing that! Enjoy your travels don’t miss your bikes too much!

My friend is shorter than I am. Surprisingly, the saddle height as set for me fit him ideally! I guess our legs are of equal length only his upper body is shorter.

I'm a bit late to the conversation here I'm afraid ... I've just got the bag shown in the photo from Amazon (UK) where it sells for about £20. There are broadly similar bags for about £14 if you look around; although the size is the same (2.4 litres - enough for a phone and lightweight jacket and a chocolate bar or two) they don't appear to be quite as well finished. The bag straps onto the handlebars (velcro and pretty secure) with an additional strap around the light bracket and cabling. The latter strap isn't tight and carries no weight. The zip claims to be waterproof but I have yet to test it.

View attachment 132225
As you can see, the light is clear of the bag and not obscured.

Hope this might be of some help :)

And now back to your normal service ...
Do you have the URL to the bag on the Amazon UK website?

Was your Como on warranty? How was the issue handled?
Indeed, and this didn’t put you off diving into a vado SL?

Unfortunately, I was several months out of the warranty. However, because I was interested in getting another ebike, they offered me a $500 credit if I bought it from that same shop. That seemed like a good deal. And to be honest, I had ridden my Como in turbo most of the time, didn't know the first thing about keeping the chain clean or other aspects of basic maintenance, rode it in all kinds of weather, etc. So I'm sure all that played a role. To be honest, I figured after the pandemic, I'd go back to taking the subway or bus, but I'm really an avid fan of biking now. So I'm looking to take care of my bike for the long haul.

I was hesitant to get another Specialized bike, but after reading a number of the reviews and watching some videos on YouTube about this bike, I felt it was a good bike for the price. And the test ride went really well. Felt like a regular bike compared to the heavy Como. In fact, I'm spending most of my commute in Eco mode except on a couple of steep hills where I use more power.

I didn't see any other bikes in the shop that were light enough and also available in a small size. The waiting list is long if you have to special order something not in the shop.

Hope I didn't make a mistake, but so far, so good!

I'm going to order a bike stand and the chain cleaner tool the mechanic recommended so I can treat this ebike better and hopefully, get a much longer life.

I’ve to express a little bit my disappointment about the Vado SL, at least about the European version limited to 25km/h.
While the limited Creo encourages you to pass 25km/h, the limited Vado SL does not or a lot less. At least for a “medium fit” rider like me the gain if it’s flat is often so small, that it’s not worth to push yourself. So instead of cycling 27km/h on your own you often prefer to be lazy with 26km/h and still with motor. While you ride with 29 or 30km/h on your own there with the Creo and would never think of going down to 26km/h.
This way for me the Vado SL is only a nice light eBike, but still has the annoying “25km/h wall” like other ebikes, maybe a little bit less terrible. With the Creo I feel nothing like this.
Of course this effect appears only with the European limited Vado SL versions. Also only for medium fit riders, really fit ones will pass 25km/h by far also on a Vado SL and weaker riders won’t pass 25km/h even on the Creo.

I’ve to express a little bit my disappointment about the Vado SL, at least about the European version limited to 25km/h.
While the limited Creo encourages you to pass 25km/h, the limited Vado SL does not or a lot less. At least for a “medium fit” rider like me the gain if it’s flat is often so small, that it’s not worth to push yourself. So instead of cycling 27km/h on your own you often prefer to be lazy with 26km/h and still with motor. While you ride with 29 or 30km/h on your own there with the Creo and would never think of going down to 26km/h.
This way for me the Vado SL is only a nice light eBike, but still has the annoying “25km/h wall” like other ebikes, maybe a little bit less terrible. With the Creo I feel nothing like this.
Of course this effect appears only with the European limited Vado SL versions. Also only for medium fit riders, really fit ones will pass 25km/h by far also on a Vado SL and weaker riders won’t pass 25km/h even on the Creo.
I’m in the USA so share the experience at higher speeds. I bought my Vado SL to be able to ride the longer distances my local routes require. Distances I couldn’t ride one my analog bike. I was riding that analog bike at average speeds of 12-14 mph. I ride the SL at 14-16. This is faster than most of my analog riding neighbors, so more than adequate.

I can go faster, but it does take lots of effort. Most of the time, more effort than I care to expend. I get enough cardio at my average speeds.

I guess my needs may differ from yours.

Back