Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Thanks for your replies everyone I happen to have a spare AirTag from a multipack I bought they’ve been great to help us find keys when in a rush after my 3yo has hidden them somewhere (aka I’d put them somewhere stupid).

@Sefutau2020 thanks for your thoughts I’m keen on a bike I need to ride and push to try and really improve my fitness (and drop a few kgs) hence I’m hoping the SL will assist in making me ride when I otherwise wouldn’t.

@rochrunner it appears in Australia we are only able to get EQ models so I’m stuck here.

@Badders sorry to hear your bike was stolen that’s horrible. Sounds like you have a 5.0 with Mastermind - I’m struggling to justify $1800 for the security feature and $400+ a year for insurance regardless of 4.0 SL or 5.0 SL. I emailed specialized who told me there is no way that now or in the future to change a 4.0 to have mastermind - I suspect 2023+ models may have it. The reply I got was “Our SL range of bikes are still in their first generation of the system. This new Mastmind TCU came along with the new generation 3 Levo bikes. As the SL range has not moved towards the second generation of the design yet, it still is using parts designed for the generation 1 system.”

Great spot @waghmare.

My LBS’s reopen today so keen to see what email replies I get to my questions.
You definitely enjoy the SL...good luck sir! All the best...

Finally took a gravel ride on my new Pathfinder Pro's, performed quite well. I was pleasantly surprised how well they rolled on pavement (tarmac) . No resistance that was noticeable. Picture is in Salida, Colorado. gravel road up 'S" mountain.

View attachment 129518
View attachment 129519
Can you pop into that liquor store to see if they have any Weller 12 yr old bourbon?

For after riding, of course…

Finally took a gravel ride on my new Pathfinder Pro's, performed quite well. I was pleasantly surprised how well they rolled on pavement (tarmac) . No resistance that was noticeable. Picture is in Salida, Colorado. gravel road up 'S" mountain.

View attachment 129518
View attachment 129519
Nice enjoying the SL. I’ll go Pathfinder when my rims come in. I think I remember that place en route to the Coors brewery :)

Finally took a gravel ride on my new Pathfinder Pro's, performed quite well. I was pleasantly surprised how well they rolled on pavement (tarmac) . No resistance that was noticeable.
I am all for Pathfinders Pro 2Bliss! When I swapped other tyres for PFPs, I also noticed significant decrease in the rolling resistance on the pavement. To the extent I could race with strong gravel cyclists on tarmac in Turbo mode! (They would have won if they wanted: that's another fact hehe).

I join "Polish gravel cycling" groups quite often. The "Polish gravel cycling" is for tarmac, gravel (of very varying quality), forest paths, mud, sand, crushed bricks, just name it. My mates of both sexes just zoom through hard terrain. I would say 75/75% assistance of Vado SL is something barely adequate just to follow them (80% would be right). Often, I need to save my ass by riding in full SL Turbo to just catch up with them!

(I probably repeat myself... Sorry for that).

The point is: With Pathfinders Pro, there has been no surface I could not safely ride. (The sand was tricky, true). I only regret my rims are not tubeless ready (and I don't want to try tubeless on regular rims). Cody, you "lucky dog"! :) THAT COLOUR OF YOUR VADO SL! I'm jealous!

1658300121145.png

Did anyone mention the light weight of Vado SL? In the picture, I'm getting ready to lift my Vado SL over that barrier (green helmet).

Last edited:
here she is, at around 1,300 miles.

I'm starting to get more flats, which leads to the obvious question -- tubeless, or not tubeless?

Has anyone gone tubeless with the 4.0?

Off topic, has anyone successfully mounted the 'pizza rack' on their vado SL?

Attachments

• gU_hARaDZccN3YkQlHUn63KpNra0KeVJARgf5O7JLAM-2048x1536.jpg
    gU_hARaDZccN3YkQlHUn63KpNra0KeVJARgf5O7JLAM-2048x1536.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 141
here she is, at around 1,300 miles.

I'm starting to get more flats, which leads to the obvious question -- tubeless, or not tubeless?

Has anyone gone tubeless with the 4.0?

Off topic, has anyone successfully mounted the 'pizza rack' on their vado SL?
Thinking about pathfinder pro 32 or 38c tubeless the moment I get my first flat. Riding in trails but the stock is going strong.

What pedals are they?

Kris, you can absolutely ride your future Vado SL with stock components. Let me explain why I bought an SL 4 instead of 5 and why I felt modifications seemed necessary for me.
  • SL 5.0 is equipped with FutureShock 1.5/carbon fork and superior drivetrain. I used a part of the price difference to buy full RedShift ShockStop system instead. As my daily rides do not involve significant climbs, I am satisfied with the less expensive 10-speed drivetrain. I have even chosen a smaller cassette with more equal gear spread as "the cadence is the King" in my case.
  • I used the rest of the price difference for buying a Range Extender as I need to be pedal-assisted at all times
  • I am a fan of good tyres. Hence, I chose Specialized Pathfinder Pro as superior gravel tyres.
  • Vado SL is my daily e-bike. I would do everything to make it as much comfortable and perfect as possible. Hence the choice of SQlab Innerbarends for long hours of pedalling.
(Some of us are just fanboys of modifications) :)

I started with e-biking at 107 kg :) My longest Vado SL ride has been 116 km in 5 h 41 min (moving time). And yes, I had a Range Extender on the bike (136% of batteries consumed). FYI, the average assistance level was 55/55%. The average speed was 20.4 km/h.

Good choice. Provided it is not much raining where you live, you could safely remove the front mudguard from the bike (but keep the rear one for the rack and tail-light).

Glad to be of help!

If your way home is indeed pitch black, you might consider -- for example -- one of Knog (Australian) or Lezyne or CatEye (such as CATEYE AMPP 1100) headlights.

A no-name hub motor, 250 Wh battery, and no connectivity? Your money. For me, Trek has totally lost its sense of direction. Nowadays, they offer:
  • Bosch E-Bikes, older system
  • Bosch E-Bikes, Smart System
  • Fazua motors
  • No-name hub motor
  • A TQ motor.
If this won't make the company go belly-up someday, I would be very surprised.
Specialized offers only two systems: Brose and Mahle, and the brand owns both systems... Including the electronics, which is served by a single app called Mission Control. With full connectivity and ANT+.

Most of other brands is either Bosch E-Bike (the older system) or Mahle X35 hub-drive motor, It's your money.

You would not be happy to look between your knees to read data from Mastermind TCU :) The older TCU is great because it allows you using a 10 EUR wonder app called BLEvo. Giving you far more information Specialized ever wanted to show you. The new Mastermind killed BLEvo.

A "charge cycle" is based on pumping fresh 320 Wh into your main battery. Partial charges are calculated. Whenever the sum of partial charges of the battery reached 320 Wh, a full "charge cycle" is being recorded. Having said the above: I have been riding my Vado SL 4 for 13 months. I have ridden for 5869 km. The main battery got 67 full charge cycles, and it is currently at 94% health, that is, storing 302 Wh instead of 320. This information comes from BLEvo, which shows the facts Mission Control would rather hide from you (MC always reports 100% health). With my rate of riding, I expect reaching the 300 charge cycles in 4 years and 10 months since the purchase, or will ride for some 26000 km. Not bad. Note: I use Range Extenders too, and these make the use of the main battery less profound.

Yes you are. As long as you stop considering silly alternatives :)
Thanks again @Stefan Mikes for all the information and making the community (global) on this forum.

Out of interest have you now lost some weight? I am hoping all the riding will help me to do so!

Would you upgrade the factory light (I believe Lezyne) is it hard? or add a supplementary?

I’d not heard of Knog I’ll check them out!

I’ll be looking to get a bag for the rack too - keen to hear how you go with the tailwind!
How does someone who only perhaps wants one decide between left and right! Haha

It does rain here (quite a lot) so I’ll probably keep the front guard given 1/3 of my commute is on unsealed surfaces often with puddles.

I think you’ve convinced me not even to ride the Trek im so far down the Specialized route haha.

I will check out BLEVO thanks.

Awesome info from you guys about the battery thanks so much everyone here I am thinking of I rode and charged everyday I’d need a new battery in a year!

Speaking of which when do you decide to charge? Is it ok to charge if it’s at 50%? Etc

So I have 3 shops in my city - 1 has it but is too far from home and will only do $5700, one sold the colour I wanted last week (and are 10kms more from home) only have the mint green (not for me) so my closets bike shop have agreed to match the price of another retailer interstate $5400! Hooray so I’ve said I’ll go and test ride the M and L again on the weekend and the pull the trigger!

So the final items before I can go ahead
1. I’ll need a water cage - any suggestions? (It’s just for water)

2. the other LBS that doesn’t have the colour I want suggested to upgrade the rack with either of these

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/318-BABYSEAT-II-RACK-(DISC)

Or

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product/835-UNI-EXPLORER-(DISC)

They are both lightweight and can hold the 25kgs I need for the Thule Yepp Nexxt Maxi I’m going to get https://www.thule.com/en-au/child-b...d-bike-seats/thule-yepp-nexxt-maxi-_-12080211

May need only one hole drilled to mount the guard/light but they said they will install for me if I can source the rack as they don’t sell them (but recommend them)

3. Light - one LBS even recommended a helmet light - “helmet fixed light from Exposure such as a Joystick or Diablo”

4. Test ride of M vs L - the large rode better last time a more upright position and less zippy for my commute

5. Insurance - I now have a few recommendations for insurance

6. Lock - I’ve got one I can use for now but would like one I can keep with the bikes that’s maybe better not that I’ll be leaving it anywhere but in a locked room upstairs at the office or securely at home.

7. Hide my AirTag under my saddle :)

8. Ride and smile

Looking forward to crushing my 35km round trip in as little time as possible.

I did have two more questions for the brains trust

1. Can you install a front rack? With the mudguard still in place? Does anyone have a photo/brand/model?

2. 2023 models - after emailing rider care today to ensure new models aren’t right around the corner - I got this reply “Unfortunately only a very few people employed at Specialized are privy to when bikes get released. We (the team I am in) only get told around a week prior to the bikes launch. I would perhaps look at some of the forums online, and see when the previous years models were released and use this as a guide.” Any ideas when the current 2022 model was launched and or compared to the 2021?

Thanks
Kris

I did have two more questions for the brains trust

1. Can you install a front rack? With the mudguard still in place? Does anyone have a photo/brand/model?

2. 2023 models - after emailing rider care today to ensure new models aren’t right around the corner - I got this reply “Unfortunately only a very few people employed at Specialized are privy to when bikes get released. We (the team I am in) only get told around a week prior to the bikes launch. I would perhaps look at some of the forums online, and see when the previous years models were released and use this as a guide.” Any ideas when the current 2022 model was launched and or compared to the 2021?

Thanks
Kris
For the models that have them, the MasterMind TCU was released for the 2022 model year. Not sure if anything on the other models changed, but the "new model" emphasis for '22 was on the non-SL Vado/Como line.

Out of interest have you now lost some weight? I am hoping all the riding will help me to do so!
Yes, I initially lost up to 17 kg (from 107 down to 90 kg) but later gained on weight to some 95 kg. The matter is obscured by my insulin resistance, so the workout I'm getting is not directly translatable to body weight matters.
Would you upgrade the factory light (I believe Lezyne) is it hard? or add a supplementary?
No, I would keep the Lezyne as is. It is a very good lamp with the top cut-off, not only perfect as a daily running light but also pretty good at night. And it consumes very little energy from the e-bike battery. The MTB headlights I mentioned are all powered from a built in rechargeable Li-Ion batteries and are not meant to be used full-power in the traffic. These are, however, excellent when it is pitch black around you.
I’d not heard of Knog I’ll check them out!
Knog is a renowned brand such as Lezyne, Cateye and several other. Check this out:
I’ll be looking to get a bag for the rack too - keen to hear how you go with the tailwind!
How does someone who only perhaps wants one decide between left and right! Haha
The thing making the Vado SL EQ rack rather special is it has a small triangle compared to bigger racks. I could, for example, use Ortlieb Vario (a pannier/backpack) so far because the Vario had no bottom hook (in its pannier role) but always felt stable on the rack. Tailwind is the first pannier I own that seems to be just made for the small Vado SL rack. It is not spacious though: Think you could fit three 1.5 litre Coca-Cola bottles inside and not very much else. However, it will fit two Range Extenders, all the tools I need including a spare tube, a mini-pump, a set of hex keys, chain-tools, two water bottles, sandwiches, a wallet etc. And it feels very stable on the rack.

I'm sure you can find many bags compatible with Racktime/Klickfix in the aftermarket.
It does rain here (quite a lot) so I’ll probably keep the front guard given 1/3 of my commute is on unsealed surfaces often with puddles.
The front mudguard is OK unless you try riding in the forest, as the guard tends to accumulate small twigs that can totally block the front wheel. No issues with the rear guard though.
Awesome info from you guys about the battery thanks so much everyone here I am thinking of I rode and charged everyday I’d need a new battery in a year!
You might think of buying a Range Extender (plus the SL RE Road Cable). It is possible to set Mission Control to "Discharge the Range Extender First". The Range Extender is good for 18 km of riding in full Turbo mode, and it is good for 42 km in the standard 35/100% ECO mode. You could be doing your commute on RE only, and only charge the RE. That would ensure great longevity to your main battery (you should use and recharge your main battery at times, too, just to keep it working and maintained). If you left your main battery at 80% charge or below (but more than 20%), it could live very long!
Speaking of which when do you decide to charge? Is it ok to charge if it’s at 50%? Etc
I gave an advice above. It is ideal to keep the main battery between 20% and 80% charge but I would not go anywhere if I did so. I charge my batteries to 100% after each ride because I don't know what would happen on the next day. Once, I was surprised by an emergency situation with my daughter who was taken to the hospital. The day extended to 68 km ridden here and there but my batteries were partly discharged exactly on the day before! (I always charge my batteries in advance since).
I’ll go and test ride the M and L again on the weekend and the pull the trigger!
Do the demo ride for sure!
So the final items before I can go ahead
1. I’ll need a water cage - any suggestions? (It’s just for water)
Specialized Zee Cage II. You will need one extra (Left) for the Range Extender (but Range Extender comes together with a proper Zee Cage II).
3. Light - one LBS even recommended a helmet light - “helmet fixed light from Exposure such as a Joystick or Diablo”
Your helmet shall be lightweight, safe, and well ventilated (it is the Oz, isn't it). Don't buy unnecessary gadgets.
4. Test ride of M vs L - the large rode better last time a more upright position and less zippy for my commute
You have to demo ride. I bought the size M while I feel I would be better off with the size L. I am not sure L would give you a more upright position but... The more upright you are riding the more of pain in the ass you would experience ;) In my opinion, the size L gives you more reach meaning a more sporty position which is absolutely recommended to ride a Vado SL.
8. Ride and smile
Absolutely!
Looking forward to crushing my 35km round trip in as little time as possible.
36 km is the round trip distance between where I live and my brother's company. It is so nice a ride I do it often just for pleasure!

I am all for Pathfinders Pro 2Bliss! When I swapped other tyres for PFPs, I also noticed significant decrease in the rolling resistance on the pavement. To the extent I could race with strong gravel cyclists on tarmac in Turbo mode! (They would have won if they wanted: that's another fact hehe).

I join "Polish gravel cycling" groups quite often. The "Polish gravel cycling" is for tarmac, gravel (of very varying quality), forest paths, mud, sand, crushed bricks, just name it. My mates of both sexes just zoom through hard terrain. I would say 75/75% assistance of Vado SL is something barely adequate just to follow them (80% would be right). Often, I need to save my ass by riding in full SL Turbo to just catch up with them!

(I probably repeat myself... Sorry for that).

The point is: With Pathfinders Pro, there has been no surface I could not safely ride. (The sand was tricky, true). I only regret my rims are not tubeless ready (and I don't want to try tubeless on regular rims). Cody, you "lucky dog"! :) THAT COLOUR OF YOUR VADO SL! I'm jealous!

View attachment 129546
Did anyone mention the light weight of Vado SL? In the picture, I'm getting ready to lift my Vado SL over that barrier (green helmet).
Thanks Stefan. I went with the PFP's based on your advice awhile back. As far as the weight of the SL, I easily lifted the bike the other day over several rail road tracks.

Thanks Stefan. I went with the PFP's based on your advice awhile back. As far as the weight of the SL, I easily lifted the bike the other day over several rail road tracks.
Hey Cody — Do you have any other recommendations for gravel rides around Salida? We usually go down there once a summer. Last year I rode my road bike up Poncha Pass but I'll probably take the Vado SL this time.

Is anyone using a handlebar bag with their Tubo Vado’s? If so, what are you using and what are you doing about the front light?

For the models that have them, the MasterMind TCU was released for the 2022 model year. Not sure if anything on the other models changed, but the "new model" emphasis for '22 was on the non-SL Vado/Como line.
Thanks @rochrunner do you know roughly this year which month the 22 became available? My concern is I buy the 22 (4.0 SL EQ) and then weeks later a 23 (4.0 SL EQ) with say a Mastermind TCU launches and or other upgrades? Or will 23s not likely launch until 2023 given release dates of the 21 and 22 models I’ve tried to find them online but cannot

@Kris Mason The last couple of years have been unpredictable as far as model introductions are concerned due to the aftereffects of the pandemic and related supply chain shortages. My SL 5.0 was not available -- at least here in the States -- until the early part of 2022. I put down a deposit in December and finally got the bike at the beginning of March. The manufacturers usually build bikes in large batches and I would guess that all the bikes that are considered "2022" models have already been built, so by September you might see announcements of "new" or "upgraded" models that will be available late in the year or early next year.

It's always a crap shoot. I bought my 2020 Vado 4.0 in March 2020 and in April or May the SL models were introduced, giving me immediate buyer's remorse since I knew right then that the SL was the bike that I'd been looking for...

Back