Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

@Kris Mason The last couple of years have been unpredictable as far as model introductions are concerned due to the aftereffects of the pandemic and related supply chain shortages. My SL 5.0 was not available -- at least here in the States -- until the early part of 2022. I put down a deposit in December and finally got the bike at the beginning of March. The manufacturers usually build bikes in large batches and I would guess that all the bikes that are considered "2022" models have already been built, so by September you might see announcements of "new" or "upgraded" models that will be available late in the year or early next year.

It's always a crap shoot. I bought my 2020 Vado 4.0 in March 2020 and in April or May the SL models were introduced, giving me immediate buyer's remorse since I knew right then that the SL was the bike that I'd been looking for...
@rochrunner thanks for your speedy reply - sorry about your missing out on an SL by such a short amount of time. Supply seems to be a huge issue still. A major Specialized LBS said they have more Vado SLS on order not estimated to arrive until 2023 - wether or not that’s fact or hearsay we will have to wait and see!

Thanks @rochrunner do you know roughly this year which month the 22 became available? My concern is I buy the 22 (4.0 SL EQ) and then weeks later a 23 (4.0 SL EQ) with say a Mastermind TCU launches and or other upgrades? Or will 23s not likely launch until 2023 given release dates of the 21 and 22 models I’ve tried to find them online but cannot
Yes. The 2022 SL was first listed for sale on Spec’s website on January 30 2022.

See page 2 of this thread: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/2022-turbo-vado-sl-specs.44215/page-2#post-501500

I think the stock rims on the 4.0 are not tubeless ready
That is correct - but seems like some people have been able to retape and fit tubeless ready tires:

I did try dry mounting my sworks pathfinders onto the 4.0 rims. While it seated ok it was not holding higher pressures for very long. Audibly it was leaking everywhere around the rim. Didn't try to isolate if it was thru the spoke holes or not - tho I suspect that was the case. Nor did I examine the rim tape very carefully. After reading the above thread I am tempted to retape and give it another try. The pathfinders do dry mount on my Tero rims no problem and will hold air for several hours. Pretty sure that they will be fine if I add sealant. Eventually I will ditch the inner tubes, add sealant and give tubeless a try on the Tero.

Is anyone using a handlebar bag with their Tubo Vado’s? If so, what are you using and what are you doing about the front light?
I have a leadoutgear mini burrito bag. Fits my phone, wallet, and a multi tool and a snack. It straps on the handlebars. There is a strap for the stem area too, but I don't use that part.

I did it! Shes getting a rack upgrade and will be ready next week! Thanks
4BAC00F6-B152-477A-A7A8-628453098282.jpeg
30AD0448-9BFC-423D-A287-7D37020EBC2B.jpeg
everyone!

I've had my Vado SL since March, done 1750km. Dropped it into my LBS for a new chain, he says I need a new cassette too.
Seems a bit soon?

Not in the right order, the lower Vado came today, the upper one 2021, the Creo 2020.
At the moment our only bikes apart form two foldable ones for short distance to carry in our small car for vacations.

Attachments

• signal-2022-07-30-192058_002.jpeg
    signal-2022-07-30-192058_002.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 111
Just thought I'd share what I picked up today - I'm very happy with it. Carrying my 16kg toddler up hills is a breeze, I've had the rear rack upgraded to a topeak (by my LBS) one to increase carrying capacity to 25kg, the size (L) is also much better than my old bike (unsure of size likely a M and different brand) the new bike gives us both more room.

Added some bottle cages, hid an Apple airtag under one the cages with a black plastic case (I got on Amazon) plus some security bolts and it blends in beautifully.

Thanks very much again to everyone for helping with my questions - actually looking forward to my Monday morning work commute!

Has anyone had issues with rear guard being out of alignment (photo attached) suspect it's possibly
0828BBA4-963B-4204-9E64-829BCEE5E874.jpeg
because of the rack change? I've gently bent it overback to centre after taking the photo.

Attachments

• 31715AB3-9344-42E6-8739-45465B6F47CA.jpeg
    31715AB3-9344-42E6-8739-45465B6F47CA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
  • 529D6F3D-1561-4436-9D03-270651642FE1.jpeg
    529D6F3D-1561-4436-9D03-270651642FE1.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 77DF52AA-8F5B-4E26-B458-3DB2D84016FE.jpeg
    77DF52AA-8F5B-4E26-B458-3DB2D84016FE.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Just thought I'd share what I picked up today - I'm very happy with it. Carrying my 16kg toddler up hills is a breeze, I've had the rear rack upgraded to a topeak (by my LBS) one to increase carrying capacity to 25kg, the size (L) is also much better than my old bike (unsure of size likely a M and different brand) the new bike gives us both more room.

Added some bottle cages, hid an airbag under one the cage with a black plastic case plus some security bolts and it blends in beautifully.

Thanks very much again to everyone for helping with my questions - actually looking forward to my Monday morning work commute!

Has anyone had issues with rear guard being out of alignment (photo attached) suspect it's possibly View attachment 130660because of the rack change? I've gently bent it overback to centre after taking the photo.

oooooh nice.

what is the weight limit for the rack mount version of that seat? i have the frame mount version, and my little one is getting a bit too big for it. i wonder if it would work up to the 25kg that the rack supports?

Hey @mschwett

I got this rack https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/318-BABYSEAT-II-RACK-(DISC)

The extensions for the rack I'm not sure which ones they used id have to check with my LBS but happy to if you want - I can send you some more photos. It's not 100% perfect right up close but gets my kid on my bike safely!

This seat it weighs 3kg and can hold a kid up to 22kgs

Sooo I forgot to charge my battery after weekend riding with my daughter and had strong headwinds on the way to work (hoping for tailwinds on the way home) so I used turbo quite a bit this morning trying to speed up my commute.

I am already getting a quote for a charger to leave at work!

Looking for some guidance if I use smart control

I have 40% battery left - last 5kms of my ride are the hardest

I thought I can not use power most of the way and only use for the end of try smart assist

- set distance ride 20km (it’s about 17.5)
- set elevation to 100m (my highest)
- set climb response to 25m (it only goes 0 or the next iteration is 25m)
- battery to maybe 5% at the end - I have a big hill at the end want to make sure it doesn’t die before

Any suggestions? Or does this sound logical?

Also - wondered what happens if I hit power up and down buttons on the bike during the ride if I get stuck on a hill? Will this clash with smart control or do they work together? I haven’t found a good explication if you set smart assist and go or if you can set smart assist and go plus use some extra up and down adjust between low/sport/turbo as needed?

Thanks so much

Kris

Kris,
Don't read. Just jump down to the asterisk*
I have 40% battery left - last 5kms of my ride are the hardest

I thought I can not use power most of the way and only use for the end of try smart assist

- set distance ride 20km (it’s about 17.5)
- set elevation to 100m (my highest)
- set climb response to 25m (it only goes 0 or the next iteration is 25m)
- battery to maybe 5% at the end - I have a big hill at the end want to make sure it doesn’t die before

Any suggestions? Or does this sound logical?
It sounds about right. Just notice the Elevation is actually the Elevation Gain. With several small hills on your route the Elevation Gain will accumulate. Regarding the Climb Response, please set it to 0. It means Smart Control will increase assist as soon as a climb has been detected (otherwise, you have to make the Elevation Gain of 25 m without extra assistance).
Also - wondered what happens if I hit power up and down buttons on the bike during the ride if I get stuck on a hill? Will this clash with smart control or do they work together? I haven’t found a good explication if you set smart assist and go or if you can set smart assist and go plus use some extra up and down adjust between low/sport/turbo as needed?
Hitting the + button on your remote will get you into Turbo immediately. Not sure how it works on the latest version of Vado. On the older versions, the Turbo boost in Smart Control is applied for a relatively short time (after several seconds it gets back to the Smart Control) and needs to be repeated until you have climbed to the top. Perhaps it works better on the Mastermind system!

Smart Control is conservative. It will initially offer you a little of assistance. When the system can see your battery charge is aplenty, the assistance will be gradually increased. You might be disappointed or delighted with the SC performance (it is yet to be seen in your case!) In the situation of riding out with 40% full battery, use of SC is reasonable though.

Let me do some math: Your battery is 710 Wh (right?) 5% is the unusable charge (36 Wh). Your 40% charge is 710 * 0.4 = 284 Wh, of which 284 - 36 = 248 Wh is usable. Your distance is 17.5 km, making the possible consumption figure of 14 Wh/km. Please be informed I was using only 12.6 Wh/km on my older Vado test ride in Turbo mode! I do not encourage you to try in Turbo but I can bet you would safely make your trip in the Sport mode :)
--------------
*) I have completely forgotten your Vado is a 25 km/h machine. Except steep hills, even low assistance will get you at 25 km/h. No need for Turbo! Meaning, your 40% of the big battery should last for eons... 17.5 km on the flat is nothing for a 25 km/h e-bike! (My Vado is a 45 km/h e-bike and uses far more of the battery juice!)

Last edited:
Back