Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

@Stefan Mikes impressive as always.

Here is my stats from the commute in - I’m impressed by your math!! And anxious about my battery life haha

You will see the elevation increase that will be in reverse for the battery and also attached speed separately - still think I can make it the whole way in sport?

28F79B9C-585C-4933-85EC-0B427B4F5E08.jpeg

Attachments

• CD3CA6E6-A953-4B09-BCDA-27797A95C32A.jpeg
    CD3CA6E6-A953-4B09-BCDA-27797A95C32A.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 116
The Sport could be even too much but you will get at work dry, haha!

Notice that even low assistance such as Eco gets you on 25 km/h pretty easily. If the assistance is too high, you will be riding on a choking motor: assistance up to 25 km/h then the motor cuts off, etc. Your sweet point (for the future rides) would be adjusting the assistance/max motor power at the level it keeps you riding at 24.5 km/h. You can expect enormous range with that setting!

P.S. I edited my earlier post.

@Stefan Mikes impressive as always.

Here is my stats from the commute in - I’m impressed by your math!! And anxious about my battery life haha

You will see the elevation increase that will be in reverse for the battery and also attached speed separately - still think I can make it the whole way in sport?

View attachment 130828
if i'm reading your chart correctly... there's a climb of about 85m over a distance of perhaps 8km for the second half of your ride home. although there are some ups and down, that's only an average grade of a percent or two. to go 25kph up a 2% grade on a vado SL doesn't take much more than 250 watts TOTAL, including your input. in a situation like the one you describe on a partially charged SL bike, i'd turn the assist off completely until i got to the hill, and then put it on eco or sport, get into a climbing gear, and take it at 20kph or so.

Oh no! I have overlooked the fact Kris was riding an SL e-bike (for some reason, I thought it was a big Vado)! The whole math I did was useless! Thank you Mark. It is still morning here.

Thanks @mschwett and @Stefan Mikes I rode somewhat conservatively and came home with 2 bars of battery still! Interesting (black images are from Specialized app) and (white ones are from it being shared to Strava)

You’ll note 50km/h + max speed which isn’t in the ride app… strange…. Max speed on ride app is 36.7!

Either way great news is I made it home! Battery still with capacity and turbo used for the hills I needed it on!

Bike is currently on charge :)

@Stefan Mikes managed the average of 23.5 but did seem to hit 25 loads of time. Welcome to any suggestions to tune/improve anything… if only my bike cut out at 40 instead of 25 😂

Attachments

• 6C59E1C1-C9CD-41D7-9878-4E1D743D06DB.jpeg
    6C59E1C1-C9CD-41D7-9878-4E1D743D06DB.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 304C7DC6-9216-4919-A3C0-D836F3C015A4.jpeg
    304C7DC6-9216-4919-A3C0-D836F3C015A4.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 124
  • BDDBFA92-B2DE-449A-999E-78502E7D6928.jpeg
    BDDBFA92-B2DE-449A-999E-78502E7D6928.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 95561C17-555D-4701-90FB-50587BD811BB.jpeg
    95561C17-555D-4701-90FB-50587BD811BB.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 118
  • B0E04615-A0ED-43AC-9B0C-74DB5DBCEC5C.jpeg
    B0E04615-A0ED-43AC-9B0C-74DB5DBCEC5C.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 123
Thanks @mschwett and @Stefan Mikes I rode somewhat conservatively and came home with 2 bars of battery still! Interesting (black images are from Specialized app) and (white ones are from it being shared to Strava)

You’ll note 50km/h + max speed which isn’t in the ride app… strange…. Max speed on ride app is 36.7!

Either way great news is I made it home! Battery still with capacity and turbo used for the hills I needed it on!

Bike is currently on charge :)
Kris, it is so good you made it! I'm setting off for one of my shopping rides soon. I will use the standard SL Sport mode (60/60%) and will precisely measure energy consumption on the route similar to yours.

Strava tells you lies regarding the max speed. The system is re-analysing your trip and doing own calculations. The max speed I'm getting in Strava is always wrong regardless of how the Vado SL data had been collected. Funnily enough, it never happens for my big Vado...

Kris, it is so good you made it! I'm setting off for one of my shopping rides soon. I will use the standard SL Sport mode (60/60%) and will precisely measure energy consumption on the route similar to yours.

Strava tells you lies regarding the max speed. The system is re-analysing your trip and doing own calculations. The max speed I'm getting in Strava is always wrong regardless of how the Vado SL data had been collected. Funnily enough, it never happens for my big Vado...
Safe ride - I want to see how the ride goes if I can use 100/100 turbo for all of my 17.5 x 2 = 35km ride - although I suspect the battery won’t last even though for much of the ride it will cut out as I naturally hit 25.
Plan is to ride as I like one way, then hopefully on the battery on the way home have a high % and try it or take my charger in my bag until I get one to keep at work

Last edited:
Safe ride - I want to see how the ride goes if I can use 100/100 turbo for all of my 17.5 x 2 = 25km ride - although I suspect the battery won’t last even though for much of the ride it will cut out as I naturally hit 25.
Plan is to ride as I like one way, then hopefully on the battery on the way home have a high % and try it or take my charger in my bag until I get one to keep at work
it actually should just about last - the SL battery is 320wh, which is 320 watts for an hour… the motor can draw a max of 300w (it provides around 240w of useful energy after losses to heat and noise.) the battery won’t go to zero, but 320wh and 300w is close enough to an hour. let’s say 20-25% of your ride ian’t quite at full power (because you’re not pedaling hard enough, or the speed is over 25), so it’s more like an hour and 15 minutes. if you average 20 kph for an hour and 15 minutes on turbo, pedaling hard enough to max the motor out 75% of the time, you’ll go 25km in that time while using most of the battery.

where this doesn’t align with your ride is the 240w of the motor for that time plus your own 120w of human input is 360w, which is way more than is needed to go 25kph, even up a 1% slope. so in reality the motor will cut out a lot more than my estimate above!

Mark,
I've just emulated a ride similar to what Kris had before. At 60/60% SL assistance (default for Sport on Vado SL) and with my sub 100 W legs as well as with the 25 km/h limiter, the motor used 4.19 Wh/km.

The useful charge in Kris' battery was (0.4 - 0.05) x 320 = 112 Wh. With the factor of 4.19 Wh/h he could have made a 112 / 4.19 = 26 km ride. No worries mate, she'll be right! 😊

Screenshot_20220801-164016_BLEvo.jpg

1659364947922.png

@mschwett: According to the precise speedometer of Wahoo and judging by lack of the motor noise, Vado SL (EU) cuts off at some 26 km/h.

Last edited:
Mark,
I've just emulated a ride similar to what Kris had before. At 60/60% SL assistance (default for Sport on Vado SL) and with my sub 100 W legs as well as with the 25 km/h limiter, the motor used 4.19 Wh/km.

The useful charge in Kris' battery was (0.4 - 0.05) x 320 = 112 Wh. With the factor of 4.19 Wh/h he could have made a 112 / 4.19 = 26 km ride. No worries mate, she'll be right! 😊

View attachment 130881

View attachment 130883
@mschwett: According to the precise speedometer of Wahoo and judging by lack of the motor noise, Vado SL (EU) cuts off at some 26 km/h.
of course, keep in mind that if one were pedaling harder, say 150-175w, the motor would also be working harder! more speed, more wh/km! although in this case the limiter will hold it to a reasonable consumption.

on a class 3 SL bike, pedaling at 150w human power in turbo on flat ground will extinguish the battery in a little over an hour, with a speed of about 40-45kph depending on aero factors.

of course, keep in mind that if one were pedaling harder, say 150-175w, the motor would also be working harder! more speed, more wh/km! although in this case the limiter will hold it to a reasonable consumption.
Realistically, pedalling harder would just mean going past the speed limiter and pedalling without power. Of course, the strong cyclist would then switch to 35/35% Eco... to get improbable range at the cost of lower speed.

The EU speed restrictor is a game changer.

I know you wrote about the same. Now please tell me what speed would a Vado SL rider get unassisted and inputting 150-175 W himself.

Kris was riding from his work home. Only 17.36 km.
P.S. He's 8 hours ahead of the Central European Time.
Yeah I got that part, sorry I was typing on the phone and it's not fun to quote from there. The 2x17.5 is from later on, and the following calculations are based on 25km. Or maybe I misread something, hope I didn't though.

Safe ride - I want to see how the ride goes if I can use 100/100 turbo for all of my 17.5 x 2 = 25km ride - although I suspect the battery won’t last even though for much of the ride it will cut out as I naturally hit 25.

Now I understand, Robert! It looks Kris made a typing mistake.
I can assure him: the minimum range on 100% Turbo is 36 km. Kris will get a higher range because he will go past 25 km/h instantly and will be pedalling unpowered. Or, the motor will be "choking" between assisted and unassisted modes. (SL Turbo on 25 km/h e-bikes is only to be used for climbing or against very strong headwind).

Realistically, pedalling harder would just mean going past the speed limiter and pedalling without power. Of course, the strong cyclist would then switch to 35/35% Eco... to get improbable range at the cost of lower speed.

The EU speed restrictor is a game changer.

I know you wrote about the same. Now please tell me what speed would a Vado SL rider get unassisted and inputting 150-175 W himself.

right, 25kph is really very low. as you probably guessed that’s about what 150w of human power gets you on a vado sl. so the really the motor ends up used for accelerating, climbing, and headwinds, or when the legs are very tired.

right, 25kph is really very low. as you probably guessed that’s about what 150w of human power gets you on a vado sl. so the really the motor ends up used for accelerating, climbing, and headwinds, or when the legs are very tired.
@mschwett exactly at the moment my goal is to have commute as fast as possible to maximise time at home with the 3 year old and beat what I could do using public transport! At the moment the kegs are always very tired 😂

Back