Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Dear Specy - I would like to see a 2023 S-Works VadoSL version. Carbon everything. Including wheelset, bars and post. Elec groupset. I'll go $10k USD and I'm confident I'm not the only one. Maybe offer some custom paint like Project One. The SL is a beast design. Let's get it to it's apex.

Dear Specy - I would like to see a 2023 S-Works VadoSL version. Carbon everything. Including wheelset, bars and post. Elec groupset. I'll go $10k USD and I'm confident I'm not the only one. Maybe offer some custom paint like Project One. The SL is a beast design. Let's get it to it's apex.
Why do I think your price suggestion is LOW!

just put a flat bar on the $14,500 creo SL! with wireless electronic shifting, not that hard to swap. there are flat bar and drop bar versions of the diverge, would be interesting to see how much the geometry differs and how much can be fixed with the stem.

flat bar eagle shifter will control the XPLR RD.

The Eagle AXS controller is also fully compatible with XPLR eTap AXS rear derailleurs if you are looking to build a flat bar bike with an XPLR geared drivetrain.

New user here and very happy with Vado SL 5.0.

Using it for 30mile roundtrip commute and it just seems to effortlessly flatten the route out, while still feeling like a normal bicycle.

Battery is fine, down to about 65% on way in, around 35% by time I get home - so far just been letting it sit in Turbo (in UK so assistance limited to 15.5mph)

Ride is a wee bit firm so am considering making some mods (seatpost, innerbarends etc) but will see how it goes.

Attachments

• 2DE1520A-3AF5-4E08-92AA-3F28BFB53A4E.png
    2DE1520A-3AF5-4E08-92AA-3F28BFB53A4E.png
    153.1 KB · Views: 132
New user here and very happy with Vado SL 5.0.

Using it for 30mile roundtrip commute and it just seems to effortlessly flatten the route out, while still feeling like a normal bicycle.

Battery is fine, down to about 65% on way in, around 35% by time I get home - so far just been letting it sit in Turbo (in UK so assistance limited to 15.5mph)

Ride is a wee bit firm so am considering making some mods (seatpost, innerbarends etc) but will see how it goes.
Lucky you with a 5.0! Where did you get this beautiful image from?

Good to hear you can do 48.2kms with one charge in turbo has given me some confidence to try my 35 km that I am assured my battery will last I have 35 km hour winds tomorrow so will see how that goes!

Photo of the bike @ynbniar?

Lucky you with a 5.0! Where did you get this beautiful image from?

Good to hear you can do 48.2kms with one charge in turbo has given me some confidence to try my 35 km that I am assured my battery will last I have 35 km hour winds tomorrow so will see how that goes!

Photo of the bike @ynbniar?
Image is from Garmin Connect App, ride recorded on Edge 530.

That’s fairly windy, I did see an additional 5-10% battery use riding in to a 25km hour wind on Turbo.

just put a flat bar on the $14,500 creo SL! with wireless electronic shifting, not that hard to swap. there are flat bar and drop bar versions of the diverge, would be interesting to see how much the geometry differs and how much can be fixed with the stem.

flat bar eagle shifter will control the XPLR RD.

Have considered this - not sure about geometry.

Can anything be done to soften the motor whine? I haven’t asked my LBS this question, but I find people on this forum to be more knowledgeable sometimes. Is there an upgrade motor that would fit and be quieter?

My local shop updated software and firmware and now Mission Control doesn’t record my rides? Any thoughts on why?

Can anything be done to soften the motor whine?
Go to the OFF mode or ride past the speed limiter :) Sorry, the SL 1.1 motor whine is the feature.

Related to the second question I cannot answer it. (I use Mission Control sporadically and never record my rides with it).

Can anything be done to soften the motor whine? I haven’t asked my LBS this question, but I find people on this forum to be more knowledgeable sometimes. Is there an upgrade motor that would fit and be quieter?

Earbuds and music. That's my setup. btw >The hub noise is a lot louder but folks don't seem to mind that - curious thing.

Eh, Karl! Are you one of those naughty cyclists who cannot hear my bell on a bike path? :)

P.S I was zooming the street nearby on my Vado SL to catch up with a guy riding his bike hand free, wearing sunglasses, ears covered with big headphones, and he was sipping beer as he rode. Was it YOU? :D

Thought I might hear a comment like this one - or not. :) No, I am keenly aware of bike bells, other riders, cars, etc... I'm old, volume of music on low. btw >> Show me one walker on any MUD trail that doesn't have earbuds on? They don't exist. So, do those folks hear me when I say 'passing to your left' or ring my SL bell?? And I'm still on the side of the SL motor not sounding bad at all. Earbuds or not.

Good news - I rode in today - turbo mode the whole way due to the very strong 30 - 50 km/h winds.
Total time 45 mins and 45 seconds
Average speed 24.7km/h
Battery still has 72% remaining
On my first ride, my LBS said it was fully charged - I suspect it was not!

The best bit of all it was a huge help with the weather conditions - I am loving my bike and achieving my goal of beating public transport! Unfortunately it was too early to be sipping a bear listening to some tunes!

I like the sound of the SL motor - good to hear when it is on (I am under 25) and when it is off (when I am doing all the work myself!)

1659484205061.png

1659484215339.png

1659484242351.png

Good news - I rode in today - turbo mode the whole way due to the very strong 30 - 50 km/h winds.
Total time 45 mins and 45 seconds
Average speed 24.7km/h
Battery still has 72% remaining
On my first ride, my LBS said it was fully charged - I suspect it was not!

The best bit of all it was a huge help with the weather conditions - I am loving my bike and achieving my goal of beating public transport! Unfortunately it was too early to be sipping a bear listening to some tunes!

I like the sound of the SL motor - good to hear when it is on (I am under 25) and when it is off (when I am doing all the work myself!)

View attachment 131034
View attachment 131035

View attachment 131036
Amen to everything you said. Except sipping bears. Could be dangerous even on SL. :)

On the subject of noise, Trek has a youtube comparing their newer light ebike acoustics vs unnamed full power and "popular" SL type bike. The latter sounds very much like my SL. And the difference between the full power bike and the popular bike seem similar to the difference between my Tero and the SL. Both my bikes are noticeably louder than the earlier model full power Vado I test rode a few years ago as well as the new Trek. While sensitivity to the motor noise is personal and subjective - the best I can say about my SL is that is not intolerable. The Trek video speaks to tonality and that is something I wish the SL had addressed. Even at same volume, lower pitch (whine) would make it far less objectionable to me. Hopefully further improvements in motor technology will lead to quieter or at least better sounding motors.

Back