Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

I saw some youtube videos where Airtag was placed below Saddle, inside stem and inside top tube while measuring the distance for iPhone find my phone to detect/direct you to the bike location. He concluded that inside stem and inside topbar was 70-80% loss of signal between iPhone and Airtag. However below saddle worked the best with 30+ft detection and giving exact direction to find bike location.

I had put below saddle but its too obvious so I flipped the bike, opened the motor cover (1 screw) and put the Airtag close to that small hole (drain?) in black motor cover. I get 30+ft coverage in finding the bike and it has served well so far. View attachment 129431

that’s where mine is, almost. very securely taped to the inside of that cover - but there are only a few spots it’ll fit. it’s not visible through the hole on my creo.

i wonder if being inside the top tube of a carbon bike would suffer the same signal loss?

Thanks for your replies everyone I happen to have a spare AirTag from a multipack I bought they’ve been great to help us find keys when in a rush after my 3yo has hidden them somewhere (aka I’d put them somewhere stupid).

@Sefutau2020 thanks for your thoughts I’m keen on a bike I need to ride and push to try and really improve my fitness (and drop a few kgs) hence I’m hoping the SL will assist in making me ride when I otherwise wouldn’t.

@rochrunner it appears in Australia we are only able to get EQ models so I’m stuck here.

@Badders sorry to hear your bike was stolen that’s horrible. Sounds like you have a 5.0 with Mastermind - I’m struggling to justify $1800 for the security feature and $400+ a year for insurance regardless of 4.0 SL or 5.0 SL. I emailed specialized who told me there is no way that now or in the future to change a 4.0 to have mastermind - I suspect 2023+ models may have it. The reply I got was “Our SL range of bikes are still in their first generation of the system. This new Mastmind TCU came along with the new generation 3 Levo bikes. As the SL range has not moved towards the second generation of the design yet, it still is using parts designed for the generation 1 system.”

Great spot @waghmare.

My LBS’s reopen today so keen to see what email replies I get to my questions.

Hello everyone from Melbourne Australia 🇦🇺 ! I'm proud to say it's taken 4 days in between work and juggling my 3 year old but I've made it through the 76 pages of content!

It seems a bit neive of me to ask in a post like this if you think this bike is incredible (as built) as there has been plenty of discussion of modifications 😆 I'm hoping go keep mine stock.

It's wonderful and inspiring to hear of people of all ages and different medical conditions out and about thanks to there trusty SLs.

I'm in my late thirties and on the heavier side about 105kgs - keen to convert my commute on the train (round trip) of approx 1.5 hours into the same or less time doing a 17.5 km ride each way/35 km round trip which sounds like it may be achievable with some assistance. The ride on my non ebike is about 2:10.

I’m trying to choose my LBS (now I have learnt what that means :) ) there are 2 contenders - I’ve emailed each to try and get myself across the line! I’m right on the edge of saying yes to a 2022 turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ.

@Stefan Mikes many thanks for all your contributions to this post and the forums I feel as if I have gotten to know you!

My outstanding items are

- Price - it’s a huge outlay so trying to secure a good deal some other retailers have them on sale the moment

- Insurance - do you have it? Do I need it? Ky current insurers for home contents won’t cover it

- rack/kids seat/rear light - tried to work with Specialized and Thule to resolve this but couldn’t - they’ve both concluded in need to work with LBS - I need a rack that can take the OEM rear light but also hold 25kgs in the most light structure possible so I can carry my 16kg 3yo on a bike seat 🤞

- lighting - I’ll take all your advice on board but will need better lighting for the end of my ride at this time of year the path on the last 4kms home is essentially pitch black

- Trek! Have just launched a 2023 bike I stumbled upon at a shop near work the other day https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bikes/hybrid-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/fx/fx-2/p/35850/ it’s $3499 whereas the Vado SL 4.0 EQ rrp is $6000 here… worth a look? Thoughts? Yes he’s rear hub motor
- Other brands for the price - did anyone look at Bianchi, Cannnondale, Cannon? Is there other brands/models I should look at?

- great idea about hiding AirTag in frame! Keen to hear how anyone has done it? If so how?

- I had not been looking at the 5 as I am fortunately young enough to still take the bumps - but am intrigued by the Mastermind control with security built in - is it good or a gimic - the extra $1800 is a big stretch for me - not sure it’s worth it? But I am terrified of bike theft disclaimer I do work in and love tech…

- Does the 4 SL EQ have the ability to have a front rack installed?

- 300 charge cycles is mentioned - can someone please explain this to me? Surely the bike will not only charge 300 times from empty? Any info appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading my post and for everything you’ve all shared.

Wish me luck! I think im sold!? 😱
Hello from USA. I did serious research before spending thousands of dollars and believe the Vado 4.0 SL EQ is well worth the price.
Specialized offers a discount for your first online sale, so buying bike online and having your local LBS assemble it should save you some money.
I think the bike as sold is awesome. The standard front and back lights are bright, but agree they can’t be too bright!
Haven’t bought additional insurance, but I don’t ever let it out of my sight. Like a frisky puppy.
I believe I saw post saying front panniers are no problem, but I have no experience with a child seat. Some think back rack should hold bit more weight.
Finally, I believe 300 battery charges is correct, many many years for a casual user like me and my LBS quoted a price of US $1,000 for new battery installed.
My 2 1/2 cents. Good luck out there.

Hello from USA. I did serious research before spending thousands of dollars and believe the Vado 4.0 SL EQ is well worth the price.
Specialized offers a discount for your first online sale, so buying bike online and having your local LBS assemble it should save you some money.
I think the bike as sold is awesome. The standard front and back lights are bright, but agree they can’t be too bright!
Haven’t bought additional insurance, but I don’t ever let it out of my sight. Like a frisky puppy.
I believe I saw post saying front panniers are no problem, but I have no experience with a child seat. Some think back rack should hold bit more weight.
Finally, I believe 300 battery charges is correct, many many years for a casual user like me and my LBS quoted a price of US $1,000 for new battery installed.
Thanks PDX Sid! great to hear from the US.
Specialized in Australia are sold out of basically everything so I have to buy from a LBS (3 stores, each only have 1 in my size and colour) I have managed to get 10% off secured at one of them so far.
Great to hear you think the bike it worth the cost I don't know how well the USD price is compared to AUD.
I think I will definitely supplement at least the front light.
I tried to find that post - but haven't managed to yet.
After the 300 charges is the battery just degraded? but could still work but with less capacity?

After the 300 charges is the battery just degraded? but could still work but with less capacity?
In the US, the battery is warranted for 2 years (to >80% of new capacity). I have recently passed 2 years
with less than 200 charge cycles on both the main and range extender batteries. The main is at 300 Wh capacity and the range extender is at 152 Wh. So both are at about 95% health as reported by blevo battery monitor. Of course mission control app reports both batteries at 100% health.

What discount Specialized offers?

It seems a bit neive of me to ask in a post like this if you think this bike is incredible (as built) as there has been plenty of discussion of modifications 😆 I'm hoping go keep mine stock.
Kris, you can absolutely ride your future Vado SL with stock components. Let me explain why I bought an SL 4 instead of 5 and why I felt modifications seemed necessary for me.
  • SL 5.0 is equipped with FutureShock 1.5/carbon fork and superior drivetrain. I used a part of the price difference to buy full RedShift ShockStop system instead. As my daily rides do not involve significant climbs, I am satisfied with the less expensive 10-speed drivetrain. I have even chosen a smaller cassette with more equal gear spread as "the cadence is the King" in my case.
  • I used the rest of the price difference for buying a Range Extender as I need to be pedal-assisted at all times
  • I am a fan of good tyres. Hence, I chose Specialized Pathfinder Pro as superior gravel tyres.
  • Vado SL is my daily e-bike. I would do everything to make it as much comfortable and perfect as possible. Hence the choice of SQlab Innerbarends for long hours of pedalling.
(Some of us are just fanboys of modifications) :)
I'm in my late thirties and on the heavier side about 105kgs - keen to convert my commute on the train (round trip) of approx 1.5 hours into the same or less time doing a 17.5 km ride each way/35 km round trip which sounds like it may be achievable with some assistance. The ride on my non ebike is about 2:10.
I started with e-biking at 107 kg :) My longest Vado SL ride has been 116 km in 5 h 41 min (moving time). And yes, I had a Range Extender on the bike (136% of batteries consumed). FYI, the average assistance level was 55/55%. The average speed was 20.4 km/h.
I’m trying to choose my LBS (now I have learnt what that means :) ) there are 2 contenders - I’ve emailed each to try and get myself across the line! I’m right on the edge of saying yes to a 2022 turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ.
Good choice. Provided it is not much raining where you live, you could safely remove the front mudguard from the bike (but keep the rear one for the rack and tail-light).
@Stefan Mikes many thanks for all your contributions to this post and the forums I feel as if I have gotten to know you!
Glad to be of help!
My outstanding items are

- lighting - I’ll take all your advice on board but will need better lighting for the end of my ride at this time of year the path on the last 4kms home is essentially pitch black
If your way home is indeed pitch black, you might consider -- for example -- one of Knog (Australian) or Lezyne or CatEye (such as CATEYE AMPP 1100) headlights.
- Trek! Have just launched a 2023 bike I stumbled upon at a shop near work the other day https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bikes/hybrid-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/fx/fx-2/p/35850/ it’s $3499 whereas the Vado SL 4.0 EQ rrp is $6000 here… worth a look? Thoughts? Yes he’s rear hub motor
A no-name hub motor, 250 Wh battery, and no connectivity? Your money. For me, Trek has totally lost its sense of direction. Nowadays, they offer:
  • Bosch E-Bikes, older system
  • Bosch E-Bikes, Smart System
  • Fazua motors
  • No-name hub motor
  • A TQ motor.
If this won't make the company go belly-up someday, I would be very surprised.
Specialized offers only two systems: Brose and Mahle, and the brand owns both systems... Including the electronics, which is served by a single app called Mission Control. With full connectivity and ANT+.
- Other brands for the price - did anyone look at Bianchi, Cannnondale, Cannon? Is there other brands/models I should look at?
Most of other brands is either Bosch E-Bike (the older system) or Mahle X35 hub-drive motor, It's your money.
- I had not been looking at the 5 as I am fortunately young enough to still take the bumps - but am intrigued by the Mastermind control with security built in - is it good or a gimic - the extra $1800 is a big stretch for me - not sure it’s worth it? But I am terrified of bike theft disclaimer I do work in and love tech…
You would not be happy to look between your knees to read data from Mastermind TCU :) The older TCU is great because it allows you using a 10 EUR wonder app called BLEvo. Giving you far more information Specialized ever wanted to show you. The new Mastermind killed BLEvo.
- 300 charge cycles is mentioned - can someone please explain this to me? Surely the bike will not only charge 300 times from empty? Any info appreciated.
A "charge cycle" is based on pumping fresh 320 Wh into your main battery. Partial charges are calculated. Whenever the sum of partial charges of the battery reached 320 Wh, a full "charge cycle" is being recorded. Having said the above: I have been riding my Vado SL 4 for 13 months. I have ridden for 5869 km. The main battery got 67 full charge cycles, and it is currently at 94% health, that is, storing 302 Wh instead of 320. This information comes from BLEvo, which shows the facts Mission Control would rather hide from you (MC always reports 100% health). With my rate of riding, I expect reaching the 300 charge cycles in 4 years and 10 months since the purchase, or will ride for some 26000 km. Not bad. Note: I use Range Extenders too, and these make the use of the main battery less profound.
Wish me luck! I think im sold!? 😱
Yes you are. As long as you stop considering silly alternatives :)

Last edited:
Guys,

I have bought a Specialized Tailwind pannier for my Vado SL.

1658223382075.png

Verdict:
Specialized is not Ortlieb, and the American brand could not just copy Ortlieb patented solutions. The attachment points and removing the pannier from the rack with a single hand movement is close to what Ortlieb do offer. However, the position of all hooks must be fixed with a Phillips screwdriver, meaning the pannier is effectively set up for a single rack model. (With Ortlieb, you can make adjustments on the fly between different racks).

The access to the Tailwind inside is limited (it is hard to peek inside to inspect the contents). However, the Tailwind has two great features:
  • It is perfectly fit to the small triangle of the SL rack (!!!)
  • It is indeed aerodynamic.
It is waterproof, too (but all Ortlieb panniers are waterproof as well).

I intend to use the Tailwind as the sole pannier for my adventure SL rides.

P.S. The pannier has a nicely made cut to accommodate the rider's heel. The techie who installed the Tailwind on my Vado SL attached the pannier to the wrong side of the rack...

Last edited:
Thanks PDX Sid! great to hear from the US.
Specialized in Australia are sold out of basically everything so I have to buy from a LBS (3 stores, each only have 1 in my size and colour) I have managed to get 10% off secured at one of them so far.
Great to hear you think the bike it worth the cost I don't know how well the USD price is compared to AUD.
I think I will definitely supplement at least the front light.
I tried to find that post - but haven't managed to yet.
Yes. The official Specialized Vado manual says the Vado battery will have 75% power after first 300 charges. Still going!

I’ve seen the 15% discount popup also. However, I did not think it applied to bikes. I could be wrong though…Didn’t matter to me, as the website didn’t have anything available, and I found what I wanted at a 2021 model-year discount from a dealer.

May, 2022. Like I noted, it was an ad that popped-up on my iPhone when I was on Specialized.com thinking of buying their Mode helmet. Ezra confirmed that company discount at [email protected]. Don’t believe discount was just aimed at me. And again, it was for first online buy only.
I bought shoes with that discount (returned, too small, big feet suck and you have a 47 and half the brands make it a 48), and I think it was not for bikes.

Edit: found the mail, I got 10% on equipment only

I'm getting a customary 10% discount on expensive Specialized products in the brand owned store. For instance, it was 10% on my Vado SL, and it was 7.2% on the Tailwind pannier I bought there yesterday. For instance, the pannier was listed at 700 PLN online but I paid 650 in store.

1658252354740.png

Last edited:
Finally took a gravel ride on my new Pathfinder Pro's, performed quite well. I was pleasantly surprised how well they rolled on pavement (tarmac) . No resistance that was noticeable. Picture is in Salida, Colorado. gravel road up 'S" mountain.

20220716_165734.jpg

20220716_171403.jpg

Back