Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Be careful. I know the older Garmin Explore model had some issues with e-bike connectivity.
Yeah I have the old Garmin Edge Explore and it's fine except the power sensor does not connect. I posted about that a few dozen pages back and got help re the MC and Ride apps.

That aside it's really nice on the Vado SL. The original TCD mount is Garmin compatible too so it just fits right on.

There is a phenomenon related to the new Range Extenders I own which I do not like but can live with.
With any Range Extender, the assistance is greatly reduced when the RE energy level drops below 10%. With my original RE, everything worked as it should: as soon as the RE level dropped to 5%, my Vado SL was seamlessly switching to the Main Battery if I rode in the "Discharge the Range Extender first" mode.

With two new Range Extenders, the behaviour is not good. At 8 or 7%, the system is simply switched off, and my Wahoo reports a "battery low" error. I need to disconnect the RE and start the e-bike again to ride. Of course, the issue is not really relevant to "Discharge both batteries in parallel" mode.

As I am more dedicated to riding than to complaining (unlike one GU) :) I really don't care. Discharging the Range Extender first helps me balancing the number of charges among the Main Battery and three Range Extenders I own. (For long rides, I always choose discharging both batteries in parallel).

Now, a funny thing. On last Friday, I was on a ride to collect some bike gear from my brother, to buy some bike gear in a store, and eventually help a friend with my e-bike he's riding. After I completed all the chores, I was happily returning home. The return ride was against strong headwind, and it included an overpass. I could notice how slowly I was riding, especially up the overpass in the SL Turbo mode! Did my bad legs turn even worse?!

Oh. I failed noticing that the RE level dropped below 10% :D

I picked up my Vado 4 SL last Friday and wanted to share my impressions of the bike. I'm an avid cyclist and relatively fit at 5'10" and 145lbs. I'm pretty much a solo rider with few group rides. The exercise part of riding is something I enjoy but really - I just love riding bikes anywhere and everywhere and spend a lot of time doing it.

I have to start by saying the Vado Sl should come with a disclaimer that it's Cyclist Crack - like the drug. Because ever since I test rode the bike in a parking lot - I've had a huge eBike smile (tm) on my face. This bike is absolutely incredible in every way. The riding experience is like you have the wind at your back or maybe going downhill a bit even when you're going up. It's everything that's fun about biking without having to stand up and pound the pedals on every up-hill. But that's the crazy part. I still work - plenty. My heart rate goes up and I expend great amounts of effort if I want to. After I finish a ride I still feel rewarded regarding cardio. I just feel exhilarated but not spent. Hard to describe. And switching between the support levels is seamless. Yeah, I motor up the hills in turbo but I might feel like sweating and go eco. And the bit of extra weight of the motor and battery actually give the bike a nice strong feel to the ride. I'm comfortable going down big hills at higher speeds on this bike then say my 23mm tire, racing bike.

And I'll keep going. I think it's incredible that Specialized (according the LBS) has a 4 year warranty on the motor without regard to mileage. And I know Specialized will back it up and be there.

Lot's of other little things. Brakes are super. Haven't missed a shift. Motor quiet with just a bit of whir to know it's working. This bike is fun but challenges me. And there's no mode on the bike that is so powerful and fast that it doesn't feel like a bike. And that's exactly it. In the end - it's a bike. I tried some of the higher torque bikes and just didn't feel true to cycling. And I need that.

Finally, I think it's a bargain at $3600USD. Aluminum feels light and responsive. Beautiful frame and paint too IMO. I'm able to take 3 water bottles or an extra battery. It's only 30 something pounds and can be easily car-racked. The lights are awesome too! I mean - the thing has a computer in it. It talks to my phone. It has a power meter. It can go over 50 miles on a charge. It's just the absolute greatest idea and execution. Bravo Specialized!!

Finally - back to CRACK. Sometimes I'm riding and I'll be in ECO - huffing and puffing and feeling good. But then I see the approaching hill. Yeah - I can make it but keep looking over at the mode switch and a little voice inside my head is like - 'You know you want it. Just a press of the button and your legs will feel that slight push of the motor and invigoration... must resist. :)'. But it's all awesome and I feel 20 again and run it right up the hill with a huge grin. And then - oh yeah, another road I never went down because the pavement was rough or too many hills. With my Vado SL - I can go anywhere. And maybe that's the real beauty of this engineering marvel.

It's charged again. Here we go.
Great post - thank you keen to see if it would be the same for me at approx 235 pounds!

I am providing this information for anybody that may be considering investing in this model because I recently took the plunge and I figure those interested can sift through the data to find info helpful or applicable to them.

I am 58, 6’4” and weigh 215#. I have been riding bicycles for a long time, and still ride quite a bit. Mostly mountain biking and I try to get to a pretty good level of cycling fitness every year (I live in an area with winter so mtn biking is seasonal).

I bought this bike to commute to my work and back as often as practical. My goal is 2 – 3 times a week. I have commuted to work on a bike for years. But until recently my commutes were in the range of 5-7 miles each way. A few years ago I changed jobs and now my commute is 21-25 miles each way depending on the route. Fortunately, 15 miles of this is along a bike path. I had been taking the train down in the mornings and riding back in the evenings for the last few years. But recently I got to thinking that if I had e-assistance I might be able to ride both ways, shaving enough time off my commute to make it reasonable and taking better advantage of being mostly linked between home and work by a bike path.

Ok, enough background. About the bike and my experience. The bike is AWESOME. It is well designed and the geometry makes it a very fun and sporty bike to ride. Having the ride be fun is great because it will help keep me motivated to ride it to and from my work. This bike is very, very fun to ride and handles great.

I have panniers – Ortlieb back city roller classics. They work great with the EQ equipped rack. I upgraded to these bags from an old set of Novarras. The bike path is pretty lumpy in spots and the Novarras would sometime fly off the rack! The Ortliebs are the bomb and a great upgrade. I carry probably 20 – 30#s in the bags between work clothes and shoes, lunch, a liter of liquid drink, a laptop, tools, tubes, various cycling clothes to account for the cold in the morning, warm in the evening conditions. So it’s a heavy set up – but the bike rides great and I don’t notice the bags or the load at all. This is really the testament to how good this bike is. Even fully loaded, big person and heavy bags, this bike is a cruise and I do not feel the load and it doesn’t diminish the sporty, fun quality of the ride.

On my previous commuter – an Italian steel road bike forced reluctantly into commuting service - it would take me between 1:45 in ideal conditions and 1:55 more often to ride the 21 mile route. I have a pretty good and sustained climb at the end and getting through the urban leg of the journey was painfully long. With the Vado I do the same route in about 1:15 to 1:20. So you can do the avg. speed I get. I would love to shave more time off my pervious non e-bike time, but I don’t think that’s realistic.

I use turbo to get through the urban sections of the ride – the city at the start and the end of my commute between my neighborhood and the bike path. And I use turbo to get up the hills getting to my home. I am on the middle/sport level of assist the rest of the time. That level is plenty to go as fast I want or would like to on the bike path and I don’t feel like I am working hard, but I am definitely pedaling and not free wheeling along. Going to work which is downhill to start I have about 5 battery life indicator bars left, sometimes 4. Coming back I have about 3 bars left. So I charge at work for the ride back, which means I transport the charger – part of the weight in my bags.

If you are going to ride at night in unlighted areas you’ll need a much stronger headlight. This bike lets you reach speeds very easily that are too fast for the amount of light that the stock headlight throws. Not a big deal – having the right lights is something that everyone has to customize for their use.

I’ve read the back and forth on the fenders. If you are a commuter you know the blessing of a good set of fenders that stay in place and do their job. These fenders are great for that purpose. Yes there is the path debris that gets picked up and rubbed through/between tire and fender, but in my experience not significantly more than any other set of fenders, and frankly these work quite well. I always have fenders on my commuters.

In summary I am extremely happy with the bike and hope that things continue as they have started. I didn’t do a lot of test riding e-bikes before I went for this one. I rode a couple – mostly rentals, and I knew I didn’t want a big heavy e-moped type bike. Though very fun and they would make sense for the commute I am doing, I wanted to get more exercise from my commute than I would get by using something like the full Vado 4.0. I also wasn’t sure about committing to such a big vehicle, both for where to put it and for handling. The Vado SL level of e-assist is very good for my needs. There’s no way I could do 42-50 miles a day with the kind of weight I carry on my old bike for any extended period. It’s also very nice to have the e-assist in case of rough conditions like nasty headwinds heading home. All in all – I am super happy with this bike and best of luck to anyone considering taking the plunge!View attachment 106564

After reading 29/76 pages this is the post I’ve been wanting to find that I think will push me over the edge - my ride is 21 miles round trip and takes me about 2:10. I weigh in about 235 and this is what I needed to read!!! Thank you

Just fitted the new Ortlieb Quick Rack to my SL 5.0!

Really easy to fit/remove and there’s an option to add a mudguard if needed.

Attachments

• A82A7718-76A8-4CFE-860C-7A5CD38619FA.jpeg
    A82A7718-76A8-4CFE-860C-7A5CD38619FA.jpeg
    837.3 KB · Views: 131
That RTP Mountain Bike Trail looks sweet.

I am also finding the same utility of 22VSL5 where I can haul kids in a trailer to school in the morning, commute to work, pick up kids from school, go on a paved bike trail like "Lake Washington Loop", enter some gravel roads like "Redmond powerline" and even get into some single tracks once in a while like "Thrilla in Woodenvilla or Redmond watershed". And I leave my phone in pocket/backpack all the times given mastermind has everything I need to see during the rides. There was so much around my home that I never discovered in last decade.

I simply love the go anywhere nature of this bike with addition of futureshock, carbon fork, 1x12 10-50t and pathfinders. I am going to put innerbarends to see if I can lean forward bit more for paved rides but other than that its perfect combination of utility, speed, climb and workout.
@waghmare keen to hear how you tow your kids on what trailer? I am looking for options with my 3yo.

Thanks

Hello everyone from Melbourne Australia 🇦🇺 ! I'm proud to say it's taken 4 days in between work and juggling my 3 year old but I've made it through the 76 pages of content!

It seems a bit neive of me to ask in a post like this if you think this bike is incredible (as built) as there has been plenty of discussion of modifications 😆 I'm hoping go keep mine stock.

It's wonderful and inspiring to hear of people of all ages and different medical conditions out and about thanks to there trusty SLs.

I'm in my late thirties and on the heavier side about 105kgs - keen to convert my commute on the train (round trip) of approx 1.5 hours into the same or less time doing a 17.5 km ride each way/35 km round trip which sounds like it may be achievable with some assistance. The ride on my non ebike is about 2:10.

I’m trying to choose my LBS (now I have learnt what that means :) ) there are 2 contenders - I’ve emailed each to try and get myself across the line! I’m right on the edge of saying yes to a 2022 turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ.

@Stefan Mikes many thanks for all your contributions to this post and the forums I feel as if I have gotten to know you!

My outstanding items are

- Price - it’s a huge outlay so trying to secure a good deal some other retailers have them on sale the moment

- Insurance - do you have it? Do I need it? Ky current insurers for home contents won’t cover it

- rack/kids seat/rear light - tried to work with Specialized and Thule to resolve this but couldn’t - they’ve both concluded in need to work with LBS - I need a rack that can take the OEM rear light but also hold 25kgs in the most light structure possible so I can carry my 16kg 3yo on a bike seat 🤞

- lighting - I’ll take all your advice on board but will need better lighting for the end of my ride at this time of year the path on the last 4kms home is essentially pitch black

- Trek! Have just launched a 2023 bike I stumbled upon at a shop near work the other day https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bikes/hybrid-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/fx/fx-2/p/35850/ it’s $3499 whereas the Vado SL 4.0 EQ rrp is $6000 here… worth a look? Thoughts? Yes he’s rear hub motor
- Other brands for the price - did anyone look at Bianchi, Cannnondale, Cannon? Is there other brands/models I should look at?

- great idea about hiding AirTag in frame! Keen to hear how anyone has done it? If so how?

- I had not been looking at the 5 as I am fortunately young enough to still take the bumps - but am intrigued by the Mastermind control with security built in - is it good or a gimic - the extra $1800 is a big stretch for me - not sure it’s worth it? But I am terrified of bike theft disclaimer I do work in and love tech…

- Does the 4 SL EQ have the ability to have a front rack installed?

- 300 charge cycles is mentioned - can someone please explain this to me? Surely the bike will not only charge 300 times from empty? Any info appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading my post and for everything you’ve all shared.

Wish me luck! I think im sold!? 😱

Good morning from the USA. I've owned the Specialized Vado 4 SL and the Vado 4 (full power). Both of great e bikes, really well engineered. If I had to choose between the two, I would take the Vado 4. Why? Well....even though the Vado 4 is heavier, the 70 nm of torque make up for it. On some hills, the Vado 4 SL felt under powered. I never have to use Turbo mode on the full powered Vado, Eco and Sport are more than enough. I am 6'3 and of 250lbs. The Vado 4 charges very quickly too. I also have a 2022 Trek Allant 8s. This is also a great bike, and the power is crazy (85nm), but I am not a fan of the rack or the Cobi display. For the sheer enjoyment of riding and the total package, the Vado 4 is the bike to beat.

Quick comment on the AirTag (which I know little about). The first place I'd think of is to remove the TCU (single screw) and adhere it either to the inside of the top tube or maybe the bottom of the TCU? But will it work if it's shielded inside an aluminum frame? The reason I ask is that if for some reason I want to lock my car with the remote-entry key inside -- which it normally will not let you do -- I just have to wrap it in a piece of aluminum foil and put it in the console (I have another way of unlocking it from the outside without the key and used to do this so I didn't have to carry the bulky fob when running).

Also, the way the fender and rack are integrated on the Vado line would seem to make it difficult to use a 3rd-party rack. On the other hand, the non-EQ gives you a lot more options, and there are various 3rd-party options for fenders front and rear.

Hello everyone from Melbourne Australia 🇦🇺 ! I'm proud to say it's taken 4 days in between work and juggling my 3 year old but I've made it through the 76 pages of content!

It seems a bit neive of me to ask in a post like this if you think this bike is incredible (as built) as there has been plenty of discussion of modifications 😆 I'm hoping go keep mine stock.

It's wonderful and inspiring to hear of people of all ages and different medical conditions out and about thanks to there trusty SLs.

I'm in my late thirties and on the heavier side about 105kgs - keen to convert my commute on the train (round trip) of approx 1.5 hours into the same or less time doing a 17.5 km ride each way/35 km round trip which sounds like it may be achievable with some assistance. The ride on my non ebike is about 2:10.

I’m trying to choose my LBS (now I have learnt what that means :) ) there are 2 contenders - I’ve emailed each to try and get myself across the line! I’m right on the edge of saying yes to a 2022 turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ.

@Stefan Mikes many thanks for all your contributions to this post and the forums I feel as if I have gotten to know you!

My outstanding items are

- Price - it’s a huge outlay so trying to secure a good deal some other retailers have them on sale the moment

- Insurance - do you have it? Do I need it? Ky current insurers for home contents won’t cover it

- rack/kids seat/rear light - tried to work with Specialized and Thule to resolve this but couldn’t - they’ve both concluded in need to work with LBS - I need a rack that can take the OEM rear light but also hold 25kgs in the most light structure possible so I can carry my 16kg 3yo on a bike seat 🤞

- lighting - I’ll take all your advice on board but will need better lighting for the end of my ride at this time of year the path on the last 4kms home is essentially pitch black

- Trek! Have just launched a 2023 bike I stumbled upon at a shop near work the other day https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bikes/hybrid-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/fx/fx-2/p/35850/ it’s $3499 whereas the Vado SL 4.0 EQ rrp is $6000 here… worth a look? Thoughts? Yes he’s rear hub motor
- Other brands for the price - did anyone look at Bianchi, Cannnondale, Cannon? Is there other brands/models I should look at?

- great idea about hiding AirTag in frame! Keen to hear how anyone has done it? If so how?

- I had not been looking at the 5 as I am fortunately young enough to still take the bumps - but am intrigued by the Mastermind control with security built in - is it good or a gimic - the extra $1800 is a big stretch for me - not sure it’s worth it? But I am terrified of bike theft disclaimer I do work in and love tech…

- Does the 4 SL EQ have the ability to have a front rack installed?

- 300 charge cycles is mentioned - can someone please explain this to me? Surely the bike will not only charge 300 times from empty? Any info appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading my post and for everything you’ve all shared.

Wish me luck! I think im sold!? 😱
Insurance: I had a Trek Powerfly Sport EQ that I locked up outside a restaurant, Went in and came out 30 mins later and it had been stolen. I had insurance the first year, forgot to renew it the second year. Get insurance.

Air Tag: I hide the air tag deep in on the underside of the saddle as far as I can get it. Wrap the air tag in a little cling film then black duct tape it to the saddle.

TCU: See comment above regarding insurance. I turn the lock on EVERY time I step away from the bike in a public area. But it won’t stop the bike being stolen, just prevent someone from riding it with the motor working.

Insurance: I had a Trek Powerfly Sport EQ that I locked up outside a restaurant, Went in and came out 30 mins later and it had been stolen. I had insurance the first year, forgot to renew it the second year. Get insurance.
What type of a lock did you use on your Trek that was stolen, and was it cut? Locked to a secure spot? Time of day? I'm trying to judge if/how a bike is ever reasonably safe for going into a shop for a coffee or quick lunch.

What type of a lock did you use on your Trek that was stolen, and was it cut? Locked to a secure spot? Time of day? I'm trying to judge if/how a bike is ever reasonably safe for going into a shop for a coffee or quick luncIt

It was a Bontrager cable lock. Silver level I think. Not really suitable for that value of bike tbh. Yes it was cut. Locked to a bike stand next to the restaurant at about 4:30pm. This is in a city so there‘s a lot of people traffic. If you go into a shop for a coffee or lunch and you do not have constant eyesight of the bike and it’s in a city, you need a gold or diamond standard lock (if not two). I have a Hiplok tie lock for when I stop for a coffee and I have a constant view of the bike. any other time, it’s a D Lock diamond standard.

Here in Edinburgh the little rascals like to use battery angle grinders in broad daylight.

Air Tag: I hide the air tag deep in on the underside of the saddle as far as I can get it. Wrap the air tag in a little cling film then black duct tape it to the saddle.
I don’t understand what use an Air Tag would be, since according to a review I read the range is only ~800 ft. A thief would be that far away in no time.

I don’t understand what use an Air Tag would be, since according to a review I read the range is only ~800 ft. A thief would be that far away in no time.
800' (or more like 50') feet away from ANY iPhone, not just the owners.

Last edited:
I saw some youtube videos where Airtag was placed below Saddle, inside stem and inside top tube while measuring the distance for iPhone find my phone to detect/direct you to the bike location. He concluded that inside stem and inside topbar was 70-80% loss of signal between iPhone and Airtag. However below saddle worked the best with 30+ft detection and giving exact direction to find bike location.

I had put below saddle but its too obvious so I flipped the bike, opened the motor cover (1 screw) and put the Airtag close to that small hole (drain?) in black motor cover. I get 30+ft coverage in finding the bike and it has served well so far.
IMG_4095.jpg

Back