Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

I’ve been coming back to getting the shock stop since I’m riding much more gravel and the bumps hurt my elbows and shoulders. For my current setup, I have an extended that raises the handlebars 3 or 4 inches. My new specialized dealer LBS says, and I’ve come to agree, that the extender makes steering wobbly and thus dangerous.

They suggested removing the extender and going with the 30 degree Shockstop instead. So far I have two issues with this idea. One, won’t the new handlebar position expand the reach so I might have issues with saddle position? In other words, this could have a negative effect on fit.

The other issue is the 31.8 mm model won’t be available until late summer. If then.
A 30 deg stem decreases reach by a very significant amount, though probably not quite as much as a 3-4 inch riser does. It might not be as far off as you think. Check out this visual stem calculator:

Crankbrothers stamp 1 and five ten mtb shoes ordered. Saw a YouTube video where guy throws the fiveten from 3 feet in air and it snaps right onto stamp1 like a magnet. Sold.

Changed the futureshock from black to blue (light) spring.

Phone: Both mission control and Strava are big battery drainers to successfully use iPhone on single charge for long rides. Looking at MagSafe high capacity (10k mAh battery charger so I can save the ride. It would have been good if mission control saved the ride using mastermind data when app/phone is down. Better yet give one USB out for keeping phone charged.

Reach: Bit of discomfort on upper middle back so doing a bike fit to see if it can be addressed. SQLab inner bar ends ordered as well.

Very positive week with 22VadoSL5; did 170 miles this week.

Futureshock springs:
Blue: light
Black: medium (default)
Yellow: Hard

I am liking the blue/light; it makes a bit of noise though. Don’t know if it had to do with but if lubricant applied around spring for default that I replaced.

20mm travel was plenty for road/gravel for now. And I am sticking with default seatpost in rear with brooks as didn’t feel much of the bumps. I have habit of using natural air suspension with adjustable travel bh just lifting myself up on saddle during bumps :).

Hers is mtb single/double track Thrilla ride today!

Attachments

• DF43B6C4-6C4A-469C-BE92-8D802DFB1153.jpeg
    DF43B6C4-6C4A-469C-BE92-8D802DFB1153.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 91
  • B6250197-4C67-4C8D-A666-54D410C0247A.jpeg
    B6250197-4C67-4C8D-A666-54D410C0247A.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 0A780B62-588C-45B2-86DC-144558180128.png
    0A780B62-588C-45B2-86DC-144558180128.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 97
  • FD3863DE-B3A6-41EE-85B9-8A1DB10A3A1A.jpeg
    FD3863DE-B3A6-41EE-85B9-8A1DB10A3A1A.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 99
Ok. First time riding over 30ish miles today(on any bike). Did a little over 50 miles, with 1800 ft elev gain. 4 hours. Really proud of getting this distance. It was 60 degrees F when I left. 90 when I returned. So the heat was getting to me.

Things I noticed. One water bottle isn't enough. Ended up stopping and refilling once. Luckily there was a place to refill about halfway.

Things that hurt me after about 30 miles: My Butt was super sore. Feet were getting a little numb. Left glute where I have nerve damage was starting to cramp up. I'm a big dude, so losing weight would surely help

I have a few different shoes. Going to try my wider MTB shoes next time. Not sure if there is anything I can do about my butt. Already wearing padded shorts. Tried a lot of seats and this one seemed the most comfortable to me. Can't really do anything about the glute either.

For the bike itself. Seemed to work great over that distance. I rode almost the whole way in Eco 30/30. Pushed it up to sport on some hills. I had a out 45% battery left after 42 miles. So I pushed it into sport/turbo for the last 8 miles because it was getting hot. Felt like the battery could have made it 70-80 miles on Eco/sport for me.

A 30 deg stem decreases reach by a very significant amount, though probably not quite as much as a 3-4 inch riser does. It might not be as far off as you think. Check out this visual stem calculator:
Thanks for the information and the link. Very reassuring. Now I just have to wait for the back order situation to resolve in a month or two. Then I can try it out.

Ok. First time riding over 30ish miles today(on any bike).
Things that hurt me after about 30 miles: My Butt was super sore…

Not sure if there is anything I can do about my butt. Already wearing padded shorts.
If you have the stock Spec saddle, look into a SQ Labs saddle. They are “custom fit” to your body. I couldn’t recommend them more highly.

If you have the stock Spec saddle, look into a SQ Labs saddle. They are “custom fit” to your body. I couldn’t recommend them more highly.
The custom fitting bench/station in the video looks cool, but figuring out the right fit at home doesn’t seem very easy for getting an accurate measurement.

Even though the stock saddle has generally worked well for me, I’ve been having issues with perineal pressure so I’ve decided to take your advice. I just found the chromoly 611 Ergowave saddle on sale for $60 at REI in a size that should work for me. I can pick it up tomorrow so we shall see. Thanks for the tip.

Reach: Bit of discomfort on upper middle back so doing a bike fit to see if it can be addressed. SQLab inner bar ends ordered as well.

I’ve been having the same problem with my Creo, so I went into my LBS for a fitting session a few days ago. I expected to see changes made on the front end. Instead he raised my seat, and changed the angle. He said I may still need changes on the front end, but felt the seat position was more likely the problem and wants me to try that first. We’ll see, as I’ve been out of town and haven’t ridden with the changes yet, but it felt good on the trainer.

Oh, and I tried out a new saddle, the Specialized “S-Works Power with Mirror”. It’s expensive, but very comfortable, so I bought it. Hopefully I’ll still like it after actually using it. 🙂

EDIT: BTW, my saddle was a 155mm, and he measured me as needing a 143. Thus, why I was looking at the new saddle.

Last edited:
It’s actually quite simple and accurate. Give it a try… or not.
Good to know. I’ve just got my VadoSL5, so I’m going to give the stock saddle more time. If I decide to upgrade, this will be high on my list to check out. Thanks.

….

Oh, and I tried out a new saddle, the Specialized “S-Works Power with Mirror”. It’s expensive, but very comfortable, so I bought it. Hopefully I’ll still like it after actually using it. 🙂

great saddle. i’ve had both the power mirror and power romin on my creo. the romin was a better fit for me (narrower) but both are amazing!

keep in mind it has elliptical carbon rails… hopefully the shop hooked you up with the clamp you need!

great saddle. i’ve had both the power mirror and power romin on my creo. the romin was a better fit for me (narrower) but both are amazing!

keep in mind it has elliptical carbon rails… hopefully the shop hooked you up with the clamp you need!

I edited my previous post to mention that he also measured me as needing a smaller saddle (143mm vs 155), thus the reason for looking at it in the first place. I guess my fat butt isn’t related to bone structure. 😂

My previous saddle also had carbon rails, so no problem with the clamp, but thanks for mentioning it just in case.

I edited my previous post to mention that he also measured me as needing a smaller saddle (143mm vs 155), thus the reason for looking at it in the first place. I guess my fat butt isn’t related to bone structure. 😂

My previous saddle also had carbon rails, so no problem with the clamp, but thanks for mentioning it just in case.

nice. i actually think most men need the narrower saddle!

nice. i actually think most men need the narrower saddle!
Hmmm….Sell the bike with the larger saddle, so they can sell the smaller as an add-on more frequently. Pretty sneaky. 🤔 Of course, todays supply chain issues could be the real reason. Or, the “wrong” opinion won out. Who knows. 🤷‍♂️

Hmmm….Sell the bike with the larger saddle, so they can sell the smaller as an add-on more frequently. Pretty sneaky. 🤔 Of course, todays supply chain issues could be the real reason. Or, the “wrong” opinion won out. Who knows. 🤷‍♂️
actually, on many specialized bikes the smaller bikes come with the wider saddle.

E802F2CC-CED5-46C6-9EA7-EA2CE1AD18D8.jpeg

0A16537C-756F-415A-B9D1-089EE4117B17.jpeg

I agree the stock Vado 4.0 saddle is a bit harsh and unforgiving. So I bought a Specialized Body Geometry Comfort Gel saddle for $50. Huge improvement. Strongly recommended.

Back