Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

63.5% currently but I concede šŸ« 
The current price of the Bennies is 90 EUR, while Stamp 7 Large are EUR 115 (Germany). 78% :) I could even see Stamps for 105 euro!
Just the OEM Pathfinders at this time. I might go with tubeless Pathfinder Pros next year, possibly 42s, but want to fully understand what I'm getting into with a tubeless setup before taking the plunge. Some recent articles on things like maintaining the sealant level, etc., have put me off a bit.
If you do not swap for winter tyres, go tubeless and never look back. The greatest thing is you can ride at greatly reduced inflation, so you could experience true comfort in rough terrain. And you need to replenish the sealant every 6 months only.

I'm surprised the 42 mm tyres fit inside the fenders...
But just barely. I found that if I pump the tires up to 60 psi it does start to rub - probably against the seat stay or rack/fender bolt heads. I'm planning to remove the fenders for the summer - just not sure if/how I want to try to keep the rear light salvageable. Right now it seems disconnect the power and clean cut the wire will be the way to go. There's this thing called a Tail gator that includes an accelerometer to allow the (battery within the unit) rear light to function as a brake light as well.

Thanks in large part to the input here, Iā€™m now a member of the Turbo Vado SL club. I used to ride my Specialized Crossroads hybrid (analog) bike, but lost interest and lost stamina over the last 20 years. Planning a move to a less busy environment with a lot of beachside and low-traffic forest roads and paved paths made me want to get back into biking, but with some assistance.

The decision to pick a Vado vs. a Como was easy for me coming from a Crossroads (I prefer a slightly forward posture), so the big choice was the regular Vado vs. SL. One one side I thought, Iā€™m paying a lot for a new bike, so why not get as much ā€improvedā€ power vs. my non-electric? The lighter weight of the SL was a big selling point, but so was realizing that getting exercise is the reason I want to get back on a bike. On a test ride I found it was easy to feel that the Vado SL was a normal analog bike; it didnā€™t feel like it was pushing me along, I just felt a little stronger. The Sport mode was great, and I think Iā€™ll save the Turbo for hills. As I gain stamina, I I hope to use Eco more. That feeling of a ā€œnormalā€ bike that gives me some added stamina/strength made me decide that the SL was better for me than a regular Vado.

My old helmet was too old, so I got a Specialized Echelon II (very comfortable!) and my dealer recommended the Arbus Bordo 6100 lock as a ā€œcoffee stopā€ lock. Not something Iā€™d use for anything other than when I need to pop into the market or coffee shop during the daytime. He likes it because itā€™s easy to mount on the frame and therefore itā€™s always with you.

Next, Iā€™m looking at a Hafny left-hand mirror and Iā€™m leaning towards the M903 shape (probably the silver mirror), and some type of Apple AirTag holder ā€œjust in case.ā€ I can fit the bike in my Civic Hatchback with the front wheel on, but if I want to go somewhere with my wife and I may look at a car rack bike holder. I have Thule Evo bars for standup paddle boards, so Iā€™d just need the bike holder add-on.

My garage door as a background isnā€™t very exciting, so as soon as possible Iā€™ll get new pictures by Spanish Bay or the Lone Cypress on the Monterey peninsula.

Attachments

• 820AFE9F-C914-4055-B7B6-5FD92F1E0C5E.jpeg
    820AFE9F-C914-4055-B7B6-5FD92F1E0C5E.jpeg
    529.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Thanks in large part to the input here, Iā€™m now a member of the Turbo Vado SL club. I used to ride my Specialized Crossroads hybrid (analog) bike, but lost interest and lost stamina over the last 20 years. Planning a move to a less busy environment with a lot of beachside and low-traffic forest roads and paved paths made me want to get back into biking, but with some assistance.

The decision to pick a Vado vs. a Como was easy for me coming from a Crossroads (I prefer a slightly forward posture), so the big choice was the regular Vado vs. SL. One one side I thought, Iā€™m paying a lot for a new bike, so why not get as much ā€improvedā€ power vs. my non-electric? The lighter weight of the SL was a big selling point, but so was realizing that getting exercise is the reason I want to get back on a bike. On a test ride I found it was easy to feel that the Vado SL was a normal analog bike; it didnā€™t feel like it was pushing me along, I just felt a little stronger. The Sport mode was great, and I think Iā€™ll save the Turbo for hills. As I gain stamina, I I hope to use Eco more. That feeling of a ā€œnormalā€ bike that gives me some added stamina/strength made me decide that the SL was better for me than a regular Vado.

My old helmet was too old, so I got a Specialized Echelon II (very comfortable!) and my dealer recommended the Arbus Bordo 6100 lock as a ā€œcoffee stopā€ lock. Not something Iā€™d use for anything other than when I need to pop into the market or coffee shop during the daytime. He likes it because itā€™s easy to mount on the frame and therefore itā€™s always with you.

Next, Iā€™m looking at a Hafny left-hand mirror and Iā€™m leaning towards the M903 shape (probably the silver mirror), and some type of Apple AirTag holder ā€œjust in case.ā€ I can fit the bike in my Civic Hatchback with the front wheel on, but if I want to go somewhere with my wife and I may look at a car rack bike holder. I have Thule Evo bars for standup paddle boards, so Iā€™d just need the bike holder add-on.

My garage door as a background isnā€™t very exciting, so as soon as possible Iā€™ll get new pictures by Spanish Bay or the Lone Cypress on the Monterey peninsula.
Welcome to the club. The SL is a fantastic bike.

I know the Mirrycle is popular, but I donā€™t want to cut the grip end on my new bike and I didnā€™t think the Mirrycle has a bar-mount option like the Hafny.

Last edited:
You can drill a hole in the grip instead :)
I love Ergon grips as these include bar-end plugs that can be removed.
Thatā€™s what I did. The Ergon grips are basically the only mod Iā€™ve made that I consider mandatory. I got the GP3s so i should have another hand position since my right hand tends to get tingly.

Attachments

• A21BC9CE-2F30-4BF8-820B-7E32F79C1920.png
    A21BC9CE-2F30-4BF8-820B-7E32F79C1920.png
    163.9 KB · Views: 111
Thatā€™s what I did. The Ergon grips are basically the only mod Iā€™ve made that I consider mandatory. I got the GP3s so i should have another hand position since my right hand tends to get tingly.
Ergon grips look like a great upgrade as I have some arthritis and extra hand cushion/support/positions could help (and would also allow a bar-end mirror). The GP4s might be more to my liking, but Iā€™ll also have to decide on small vs. large. My hand is approx. 7 1/4ā€ from the bottom of my palm to the tip of my middle finger; Iā€™ve always considered my hands to be on the small side but I donā€™t know if thatā€™s true for their grip sizing. Too many choices!!!

I have to say I'm probably the one person that doesn't like those grips. I find them too restrictive. Think about it - you don't always rest your whole hand on the grips. Sometimes you only use part of your hand and the Ergon takes that away. And even the little bit extra weight on the end of the bars to me - still makes control a little bit more squirely. (Pretty technical description huh). :)

I think the stock SL grips are perfect. Thank goodness we have so many choices for different riders.

I have to say I'm probably the one person that doesn't like those grips. I find them too restrictive. Think about it - you don't always rest your whole hand on the grips. Sometimes you only use part of your hand and the Ergon takes that away. And even the little bit extra weight on the end of the bars to me - still makes control a little bit more squirely. (Pretty technical description huh). :)

I think the stock SL grips are perfect. Thank goodness we have so many choices for different riders.
Specialized grips for Vado SL are very similar to Ergon GP1 (the ones without the bar-ends).

I do not completely agree with the
you don't always rest your whole hand on the grips. Sometimes you only use part of your hand and the Ergon takes that away.
or I cannot understand what you say. With a properly angled bar-end of the Ergon GP2, you just rest the "mount of Venus" of your palm onto the beautifully carved recess between the bar-end and the grip; and your two small fingers delicately keep the bar-end from the outside. Let me tell you about my experience:

I rode for many months with GP3 on one e-bike and the GP2 on another; I decided I liked the GP2 better. Then I bought Innerbarends 411 to find out I was riding for 95% (I thought) of my ride time in the Innerbarends. Why would I need the bar-end then? (I thought). Eventually, I ended up with that setup:
  • Ergon GP2 and Innerbarends 411 (Vado)
  • SQlab 710 grips and integrated Innerbarends 410/402 with no bar-ends (Vado SL)
Just to find out that I keep reaching for the non-existent bar end on my Vado SL :) I have deprived myself of a very important hand position option!

Last edited:
Specialized grips for Vado SL are very similar to Ergon GP1 (the ones without the bar-ends).

I do not completely agree with the

or I cannot understand what you say. With a properly angled bar-end of the Ergon GP2, you just rest the "mount of Venus" of your palm onto the beautifully carved recess between the bar-end and the grip; and your two small fingers delicately keep the bar-end from the outside. Let me tell you about my experience:

I rode for many months with GP3 on one e-bike and the GP2 on another; I decided I liked the GP2 better. Then I bought Innerbarends 411 to find out I was riding for 95% (I thought) of my ride time in the Innerbarends. Why would I need the bar-end then? (I thought). Eventually, I ended up with that setup:
  • Ergon GP2 and Innerbarends 411 (Vado)
  • SQlab 710 grips and integrated Innerbarends 410/402 with no bar-ends (Vado SL)
Just to find out that I keep reaching for the non-existent bar end on my Vado SL :) I have deprived myself of a very important hand position option!
Grip your Ergon's. Now move your hand's out a little. That's right - you can't.

Should you want a wider grip, can you push the Ergon extensions down? Granted that would defeat their ā€œextraā€ grip, but it seems like it would allow a different change (to a wider grip).

I personally prefer the Specialized grips on my Vado to the recently installed Ergons GP1s on my Peugeot. I feel the rubber is softer on the stock ones.

Sure you can. Thatā€™s what I use those extension for in the first place. Anyway, you can always get the Ergon grips wilt the nub.

Attachments

• 29AA7CD1-D3D4-4031-A804-246309906F02.png
    29AA7CD1-D3D4-4031-A804-246309906F02.png
    722.6 KB · Views: 104
Ergon GP2 and Innerbarends 411 (Vado)

Ergon GP2 and Innerbarends 411 (Vado)
@Stefan Mikes What mounting arrangement do you use? On my SL, the left side has the grip, then the remote, then the brake lever. On the right the sequence is grip, brake, shifter. Which side of the left-side remote do you put the bar end? On the right side, does it make it more difficult to reach the shifter when you're on the regular grip?

Back