Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

@Stefan Mikes What mounting arrangement do you use? On my SL, the left side has the grip, then the remote, then the brake lever. On the right the sequence is grip, brake, shifter. Which side of the left-side remote do you put the bar end? On the right side, does it make it more difficult to reach the shifter when you're on the regular grip?
As I'm in Helsinki Finland 🇫🇮 for five days, am afraid I cannot answer your question right now 😊

I have some Ergon grips, but have been using the Specialized grips. I do find there are less hand positions on the Ergon, because the flat part is wider. Once, I tried Ergon grips on my MTB. Didn't work well because on the downhill I didn't feel like I could grip the handlebars as firmly with the ergo type of grip and still be able to use my brakes.

FYI. I experimented some more on a long ride without a lot of hills. There was a 20-25mph wind the whole way, so I used Sport mode (65%) the entire time. I rode 31 miles, 702 ft ascent, and used up about 78% of the battery. This was on a paved bike path. I was a little worried I would run out of battery, but it seemed to last.

I am finding the 2022 VadoSL5 grips are really nice so didn't feel need to get Ergon GP1/GP2 yet.
However, those innerbarends that Stefan has; could work well for me given I tend to put my hands towards the middle of handlebar all the time when I get tired holding on the grips on wider side.

I am finding the 2022 VadoSL5 grips are really nice so didn't feel need to get Ergon GP1/GP2 yet.
However, those innerbarends that Stefan has; could work well for me given I tend to put my hands towards the middle of handlebar all the time when I get tired holding on the grips on wider side.
I discovered this as well today when I took a long ride on my road bike for the first time this year. My wrists and shoulders were much more comfortable than on my SL 5 and I realized that there were two factors at play: first off, the bars are a lot narrower, and when I'm riding with my hands on the brake hoods as I usually do, my wrists are turned toward the inside just like they'd be on inner bar ends! Since I'm having general issues with making some slight changes to my riding position on the SL, I'll definitely be looking at those bar ends in addition to whatever else I might decide to go with.

By the way, I guess I'd forgotten how much fun it is to ride that bike on a smooth asphalt bike trail! It weighs literally half what the SL does and is very responsive to changes in direction. I also liked getting back to a closer-ratio 2x11 drivetrain that lets me match speed to cadence a lot better. One change I might make soon is to move the Redshift Shockstop seat post from my old hybrid to the road bike since the SL looks like a complete replacement for the old trusty Crosstrail and I'll probably dispose of that bike.

I find that 2022SL5 is ready to drive without any changes given it has lock+alarm, futureshock, pathfinders (road+gravel), good grips.
Just came from 35mile drive across the lake mostly in off, echo with one hill needing sport and has 25% battery left so I am sure I can do 45-50mile rides.

Tomorrow I am going to take it to gravel so wish me luck as this would be first test to see how much of mtb genes VadoSL has:
- Thrilla in Woodenvilla (17.8 Miles, 80%Singletrack, 551' High, 27'Low, 1,369'Up, 1,372'Down, 3%Avg Grade (2°), 18%Max Grade (10°))
- Map: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4057064/thrilla-in-woodinvilla
- Video:

The mods I have planned are:
  1. [Needs] Topeak medium or large saddle bag with 700c spare, multitool, co2 cartrige/dispenser, mini pry bars and tire patches
  2. [Needs] 2x Cageless water bottles
  3. [Needs] Put phone mount adapter (male) on that garmin female mount in the center
  4. [Wants] SQLab 411 innerbarends and possibly tape the middle portion of handlebar for resting
  5. [Wants] Canecreek eeSilk or ST or Kinect suspension (want to preserve the rear lights on non-EQ)
  6. [Wants] Brooks B17 saddle

Last edited:
Tomorrow I am going to take it to gravel so wish me luck as this would be first test to see how much of mtb genes VadoSL has:
- Thrilla in Woodenvilla (17.8 Miles, 80%Singletrack, 551' High, 27'Low, 1,369'Up, 1,372'Down, 3%Avg Grade (2°), 18%Max Grade (10°))
I think you're going to miss having more of a suspension. Remember, the FutureShock has only 20mm -- < 1 inch -- travel and the rear is solid. I tried something similar last week and quickly discovered the limits.

I think you're going to miss having more of a suspension. Remember, the FutureShock has only 20mm -- < 1 inch -- travel and the rear is solid. I tried something similar last week and quickly discovered the limits.
Gravel or single track? Have tried some gravel and it seemed fine. Not as plush as my full suspension mtb, but seemed ok. Granted....I was only on gravel for 1/4 of the ride.

The Innerbarends intrigue me. Someone else try them, post a pic and I'll think about it :) I'd probably use them with the grips that come on the SL, or get all new.

I do have hand numbness issues. Carpel tunnel surgery on both wrists. Left probably needs a redo at some point.

I wonder too what the best position is for the grips. I currently have my grips so that flat part is angled in parallel with my hand/wrist position (45 degree) rather than flat. Supposedly carpel tunnel issues occur more often if you have your wrists bent when riding. Also trying to experiment with seat fore/after placement to reduce weight on arms vs seat.

1656112820066.png

I enjoy the set I have very much.

I discovered this as well today when I took a long ride on my road bike for the first time this year. My wrists and shoulders were much more comfortable than on my SL 5 and I realized that there were two factors at play: first off, the bars are a lot narrower, and when I'm riding with my hands on the brake hoods as I usually do, my wrists are turned toward the inside just like they'd be on inner bar ends! Since I'm having general issues with making some slight changes to my riding position on the SL, I'll definitely be looking at those bar ends in addition to whatever else I might decide to go with.

By the way, I guess I'd forgotten how much fun it is to ride that bike on a smooth asphalt bike trail! It weighs literally half what the SL does and is very responsive to changes in direction. I also liked getting back to a closer-ratio 2x11 drivetrain that lets me match speed to cadence a lot better. One change I might make soon is to move the Redshift Shockstop seat post from my old hybrid to the road bike since the SL looks like a complete replacement for the old trusty Crosstrail and I'll probably dispose of that bike.
Agree Roch - there's a different feel to a lighter bike than the SL. I take out my regular bikes from time-to-time and still get plenty of fun with them. I would say - I like the 'beefy' feel of the SL too though - in it's own way. Yeah, heavier and not quite as reactive but I'm less nervous and the SL transmits a feeling of sturdiness that I'm starting to prefer on gravel, road or really - anything. Great to have options!

6F6737C5-1500-421A-982A-AC6A6FBB9487.jpeg

The bar ends may look uneven in this picture; it’s just the angle of the camera.

D34F5B35-06A0-4DFD-B70C-53CCAEC0573B.jpeg

Sorry for upside-down tape measure.

I like where I have the bar ends positioned, but I believe you will often see photos of the SQLabs inner bar ends positioned right next to the handlebar grips.

They are mounted on a carbon flat bar (no rise) so it is a somewhat different configuration than a stock Vado.

You can pretty much set the innerbarends wherever you have space. I placed mine against the grips so I can easily operate the brakes while on the innerbarends. Sorry this is the only photo I have at the moment.

Attachments

• 646B161D-0716-4DD2-AA18-64D3935258F0.jpeg
    646B161D-0716-4DD2-AA18-64D3935258F0.jpeg
    864.7 KB · Views: 146
IMG_4844.jpg
IMG_4845.jpg

A couple of new mods to the Vado SL. An S-Works carbon riser handlebar and Roval seat post. I've temporarily gone back to the stock saddle from the Brooks but will likely switch back. I'm hoping the bar will reduce the vibration a bit. The seat post is a nice bit of industrial design but perhaps overkill on the
Vado...still, I'm happy with it!

@Stefan Mikes What mounting arrangement do you use? On my SL, the left side has the grip, then the remote, then the brake lever. On the right the sequence is grip, brake, shifter. Which side of the left-side remote do you put the bar end? On the right side, does it make it more difficult to reach the shifter when you're on the regular grip?
@rochrunner:
My left sequence: Mirrycle, SQlab grip 702, Innerbarend 402, brake lever, Specialized remote.
My right sequence: Grip, Innerbarend, brake lever, shifter, bell.

Tested & optimal :)

There is a rule about the Innerbarends: These need to be installed as close to the brake lever as possible because they are replacing drop-bar hoods and need to allow immediate braking. In my setup, the distance between the actual Innerbarend grips is 420 mm, or 16.5". The width of the drop-bar for road bike can be 380 mm, 400 mm, 420 mm or 440 mm. It is 420 mm with the innerbarends on my Vado SL. A perfect replacement for drop-bars. Who disagrees?

Last edited:
I’ll run mine where I please, and really don’t care about Stefan’s HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE rules or anyone else’s.

Gravel or single track? Have tried some gravel and it seemed fine. Not as plush as my full suspension mtb, but seemed ok. Granted....I was only on gravel for 1/4 of the ride.
It was single track, but actually smoother than many of our unpaved roads around here. We've had this discussion here before, but the term "gravel" means different things to different areas around the world. Our gravel/dirt roads are best traversed with a full suspension MTB and any attempt on them with what they typically sell as a "gravel bike", i.e. a variation on a drop-bar road bike, would be a difficult proposition! My Vados have done OK on them, but only by going slow, picking my lines if possible, and preferably riding them soon (but not too soon!) after the periodic gradings.

The constant pontificating gets a little tiresome.

Ironically I see I was posting in the SL section, a bike which I don’t own.

My mistake, apologies to all- carry on, please.

Back