Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Question for the SL riders/owners.

I have found both a 2022 SL 5.0 and SL4.0. The price difference on the Specialized website is $1,250 USD. Is the price difference with it in your opinion?

I have found both a 2022 SL 5.0 and SL4.0. The price difference on the Specialized website is $1,250 USD. Is the price difference with it in your opinion?
5.0: Carbon fork, FutureShock stem, a better drive-train.
Exceptionally for me, I chose the 4.0 when I was buying mine because I spent the price difference for customization -- to fully make the SL "my bike". And a Range Extender fit in my budget, too. Otherwise the 5.0 is an excellent e-bike for people who can afford it.

I specifically bought the 4.0 also. I didn't want the future shock since I had it on a Sirrus X and prefer the ShockStop stem. I also don't need or want racks or bags (I prefer backpack). I would prefer the 12-speed drivetrain but 11 is working fine so far.

Oh, I also liked the color better 😁

Last edited:
I've got the 5.0 but didn't really have the option of the 4.0 as they were even more difficult to find at the beginning of the year. However, I've no regrets about the purchase. Whether it's worth the price difference is questionable. I don't think the carbon fork makes a whole lot of difference (when compared to non-carbon bikes I've ridden). The FutureShock stem is neat, infinitely preferable to the other types of suspension forks I've seen for road use. I've got mine on the medium spring and am going to try a stiffer setting as it bottoms out rather more than I'd like. I like the top bar display (another difference), and prefer it to things hanging off the handlebars. It's there to read if I need it, which I generally don't. I changed the chainring for a smaller one (38T) on account of the hills and am delighted with the improvement. I find it easier to maintain the right cadence and it improves my climbing. The 12-speed is good because it covers a wide range without excessive 'jumps' between them. The same thing in 10-speed might feel 'notchy', though Microtune might be able to compensate?

Not sure if you're thinking of the EQ version or not. I've got the EQ. I've yet to use the rack, but am pleased with the guards. Unfortunately the rack is used to support the rear guard.

The same thing in 10-speed might feel 'notchy',
Yes, it does. Specifically for that reason, I replaced the original cassette with Shimano CS-M771 (11-36T), 10-speed. This cassette is missing the granny gear (so it is not recommended for the hills) but the higher gears are nicely and equally spread.
Not sure if you're thinking of the EQ version or not. I've got the EQ. I've yet to use the rack, but am pleased with the guards. Unfortunately the rack is used to support the rear guard.
There is a good thing about the rear mudguard/fender in the EQ: It supports the tail-light. Users of the non-EQ version have to struggle with the tail-light being integrated with the saddle. It makes using anything else than a Specialized saddle difficult, and you are also limited as to the selection of any suspension seat-post. For the practical terms, only a 27.2 mm Kinekt 2.1 seat-post with a hole drilled (to route the tail-light wires) could be used. Popular Redshift ShockStop seatpost cannot be used for the non-EQ.

The EQ front mudguard/fender is useful during the wet season but is a pita if one wants to ride in the forest, as the mudflap attracts small objects making the wheel blocked often. I remove the front guard for the warm season.

Actually ... there's another thing that's good about the rear rack. It conveniently hooks over the top of the bike stand I use, making the bike almost wobble free and vertical. Very convenient for doing minor maintenance tasks.

PXL_20220312_093007839.jpg

It's also a useful place to tuck your gloves when stopping for a coffee or to look at the view ...

@Stefan Mikes could you expound on this a little? No granny gear, but how do the others change? Might this be a good change for flat Florida? I probably never need the top or bottom, so a closer spread would be nice.
This is a Deore XT cassette, Dan. It comes in three flavours (32 or 34 or 36T the largest cog size).
The gearing (36T) is 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36T. As you can notice, the 6 higher gears (6-10th) are equally spread. It makes your cadence pretty constant on longer rides.

As I said, the standard 44T chainring combined with the 36T lowest gear let me climb a 10% grade incline in SL Turbo mode. And of course, Deore XT is a higher groupset. The beauty of that cassette is you can get on a pretty high speed with tailwind with the 11T sprocket, and climb moderate hills with the 36T. That specific cassette was recommended to me by several EBR Forum members, (especially @TS25) when I was considering the replacement of the drivetrain to 11-speed. It saved me a lot of money and effort!

This is a Deore XT cassette, Dan. It comes in three flavours (32 or 34 or 36T the largest cog size).
The gearing (36T) is 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36T. As you can notice, the 6 higher gears (6-10th) are equally spread. It makes your cadence pretty constant on longer rides.

As I said, the standard 44T chainring combined with the 36T lowest gear let me climb a 10% grade incline in SL Turbo mode. And of course, Deore XT is a higher groupset. The beauty of that cassette is you can get on a pretty high speed with tailwind with the 11T sprocket, and climb moderate hills with the 36T. That specific cassette was recommended to me by several EBR Forum members, (especially @TS25) when I was considering the replacement of the drivetrain to 11-speed. It saved me a lot of money and effort!
So your SL 4 came with a 10-speed drivetrain. My cassette is a Sunrace 11speed, 11-42t. Was this a change for the new model year?

I’ve never changed gearing in any of my bikes so I’m reading up on it…

Was this a change for the new model year?
Yes. Shimano seems to be in a big trouble now, not being able to deliver the gear in big quantities. Therefore Specialized had to swap for SRAM and Sunrace. Your 11-speed drivetrain is SRAM NX. The 11-speed system ensures more equal gearing spread. Sunrace cassettes are believed to be heavy, though.

Back