Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Good point. I may try it again. I just have a go-to saddle that I use on my bikes. I'll keep with that until my bum doesn't hurt then try and switch back to the bridge.

I’ve found that, for me, positioning is key to butt comfort; height (in relation to handlebars), angle, and fore/aft. But, yes, I’ve given up on some seats and replaced them. I believe it also helped when I added a Redshift seat post to my previous ebike, to eliminate some of the “chatter”. Oh yeah, and padded shorts!

Also. I did wish I had another gear when I was going downhill. Wasn't even that steep and ran out of gear. Not a huge deal, but wanted to go faster.

Also. I did wish I had another gear when I was going downhill. Wasn't even that steep and ran out of gear. Not a huge deal, but wanted to go faster.
How fast do you want to go? I have the 11 speed step-through and had no problem hitting 31mph down a hill of about 6-8% grade, and I wasn't in the highest gear.

My answer to eliminating the butt ache was to dramatically lower the handlebars (including a Redshift stem slammed -6 degrees). That shifted my body weight from the saddle toward the bars. Now, Vado SL is the most comfortable of the e-bikes I own.
Note: I ride for longer distances and cannot afford my butt hurting.

How fast do you want to go? I have the 11 speed step-through and had no problem hitting 31mph down a hill of about 6-8% grade, and I wasn't in the highest gear.

I guess I would have liked the front chain ring to be a 46t or higher, rather than a 44t.

I guess I'm used to my quick carbon 2, that has a 50t large ring and 11 rear.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. One last thing. There is a small reflector above the front light. It just seems to hang loosely and sit in top of the light. I can move it up and down easily with my fingers. The bracket seems to be as tight as it goes, and holds the light plus the reflector.

Is it supposed to be that way, or did they put it together wrong?
I have the Vado SL 4.0 EQ stepthrough which I got in April. Here are a couple of photos of the reflector on my bike which is attached to the handlbar. Probably redundant given the front light is always on. But it isn't in the way and doesn't bother me.

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpeg
    IMG_0371.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0372.jpeg
    IMG_0372.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 137
The sidewall on the tire of my Vado SL 5.0 suggests 50 to 80#s. Coming from a road bike I kept at 105#, I opted for 70. Not a terrible ride. But recently dropped it to 50 - incredible difference. Much nicer ride on rough (not cobblestone) roads. Even on smooth roads, seems better. Choice was based on referral to https://www.renehersecycles.com/tire-pressure-calculator/ by a friend. Not looking for a suspension seat post. : )
I lowered the pressure to 50psi today and noticed a significant comfort improvement. It would be great if some of the more experienced riders on the forum were to read the rene herse cycles study you referenced as it seems to contradict common belief about correct psi and risks of flats.

Got this bag to replace my top tube bag, because I didn't want to cover the TCU. Someone else recommended the Burrito bag from Roadrunner. I got the mini from Lead Out instead. Seems to be more waterproof and I liked the design a little better. Has good straps and a cord that I put around the head tube to keep it pulled down. Here are some pics. Between this bag and my salsa anything bracket/bag. I think I've got everything I need. Still not sure what to put on the water bottle braze-ons on the top tube.
20220509_134522.jpg
20220509_134533.jpg
20220509_134721.jpg

It Is Not Only The Brakes That Matter

Following a bad crash of my friend who did an OTB when confronted with a big unleashed dog running in the front of her e-bike, I have become paranoiac re e-bikes and dogs.

On last Sunday, I was riding over local bike path for quite a distance, suburban. Occasionally, I could meet another cyclist or a pedestrian there. At one moment, I spotted an elderly woman with a little leashed dog. I dramatically slowed down to see the doggie's reaction. Despite of the leash, the dog rushed towards my VSL!

The Tektro hydraulic brakes (excellent they are indeed!) are not the hero of this short story.

It was the Pathfinder Pro tyres. They got -- as to say -- "glued" to the pavement. No slippage. No awful squeak. The bike just stopped. What tyres these are!

I had something like that happen years ago. Dog ran across in front of my bike. Got caught in my front wheel. Dog flipped around and I went over the front of my bike onto the pavement. We both ended up mostly ok. Dog owner was apologetic. I felt bad for her dog. I'm always leary about dogs on leashes now.

I came back from my ride a couple days ago sold on the Microtune feature both for utility and battery savings. Overall, I rode 30 miles and used 13% battery. Well, that's actually not accurate since I rode 12 continuous miles out to our destination with the motor entirely off just to see how it compared to the bike I've used on that route for several years. The conclusion on that was that there was little difference, especially since our group tends to ride at only 12-14mph. And still, I did ride with assist for 18 miles and used only 13% of the battery.

Not counting the initial 3 miles that I rode in Eco, the 15 mile return trip was done with Microtune on flat trails (11 miles paved) and into a bit of a breeze. I found Microtune very easy to use, and could bump the assist up and down easily to match the conditions, as opposed to having it in one of the standard modes that might be more than I needed at times.

Note 1: The TCU display changes to show the percentage when using Microtune. However, the Mode field on the Garmin doesn't know about this and what it does is display the normal 1, 3, or 5 depending on the range of the assistance, For instance, at 10%-30% it displays "1" ("Eco"), then at 40%-60% it displays "3" (Sport), etc. Maybe this can be fixed in the future.

Note 2: I can confirm that, when set to 10%, the motor does switch off when the pedaling effort is light. I configured one of my TCU screens to show the bike's motor and electric power. When pedaling easy at the 10% Microtune level, the bike is quiet and the display shows 0 for both power readings. Pedal a little harder and the motor comes in with about 12-14W added. So the bike is not going to bother assisting at some miniscule amount that wouldn't do much for you anyway!

I came back from my ride a couple days ago sold on the Microtune feature both for utility and battery savings. Overall, I rode 30 miles and used 13% battery. Well, that's actually not accurate since I rode 12 continuous miles out to our destination with the motor entirely off just to see how it compared to the bike I've used on that route for several years. The conclusion on that was that there was little difference, especially since our group tends to ride at only 12-14mph. And still, I did ride with assist for 18 miles and used only 13% of the battery.

Not counting the initial 3 miles that I rode in Eco, the 15 mile return trip was done with Microtune on flat trails (11 miles paved) and into a bit of a breeze. I found Microtune very easy to use, and could bump the assist up and down easily to match the conditions, as opposed to having it in one of the standard modes that might be more than I needed at times.

Note 1: The TCU display changes to show the percentage when using Microtune. However, the Mode field on the Garmin doesn't know about this and what it does is display the normal 1, 3, or 5 depending on the range of the assistance, For instance, at 10%-30% it displays "1" ("Eco"), then at 40%-60% it displays "3" (Sport), etc. Maybe this can be fixed in the future.

Note 2: I can confirm that, when set to 10%, the motor does switch off when the pedaling effort is light. I configured one of my TCU screens to show the bike's motor and electric power. When pedaling easy at the 10% Microtune level, the bike is quiet and the display shows 0 for both power readings. Pedal a little harder and the motor comes in with about 12-14W added. So the bike is not going to bother assisting at some miniscule amount that wouldn't do much for you anyway!
So do you feel like you would use Microtune, or stick with the 3 levels?

Alright, I hate to sound like an idiot (again)… but what in the Nation is Microtune? I am new to this Specialized world and haven’t encountered that one yet.
This is an exciting feature of the new Mastermind controllers. Simply speaking, you can adjust assistance as you ride using the handlebar remote.

For casual riding around town I'd stick with the basic levels (I turn Eco mode down quite a bit), but for longer rides when I want to control my exertion, etc., I'll definitely use Microtune.
I'm jealous! The Microtune would be a perfect feature for myself on group rides. Depending on the conditions, my buddies can ride pretty fast or slower. The Microtune would allow me riding at exactly the same speed as they, which is not easy for me with the preset assistance levels.

Some users could handle that on older Turbo e-bikes using BLEvo and O-Sync remote: The point is O-Sync is not to be bought here nowadays.

I should have known… more money! I still haven’t gotten around to the Road Remotes yet, but they are certainly on the menu. I am finding I may not even need a range extender for the Creo… I ride it a lot of the time unassisted, and when riding at Eco and watching the pedal stroke, you can keep the drain way down. Big climb comes, all bets are off, but all things considered, with my usual rides being under 40 miles, I don’t think I need one.

We do have a 50 mile Tour de Cure coming up, but a friend sags us around that anyway, and we can always stop at a convenience store and plug into the car for a few quick electrons if things are getting low.

Back