Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

I know that. At 35/35 I expect to see it peak out at just over 100 watts and that would happen with about 140 rider watts. I get about 40 watts. At 200 rider watts I get about 70 watts.

I understand the algorithm to be 1.8 X rider power, up to the max. Setting, which at 35rider, 35 max power will be 100 watts or so. (Adjusted for electrical power)

ah - i missed the 40 watts. my creo definitely doesn’t behave that way when it’s on, for example, 10/100. i get 2 x .1 x riderPower. you can see it quite clearly in the chart i posted above.

as i noted at 10/10 i get no assist at all, so there’s definitely something else going on with the “max” setting. at one point i was theorizing that it also takes into account the TOTAL power including rider, so if you’re putting out a good amount of power yourself, it’ll do very little.

In turbo, even at 25/100, it wants to give me 300 watts with almost any pedal input.
There is nothing like Turbo. Eco, Sport and Turbo are just names of presets. You can set 25/100 in Turbo and it won't be Turbo anymore.
It is not possible that 25/100 in Eco or Turbo presets behaved differently!
One thought: Creo is expected to ride faster than Vado SL because of air drag. Perhaps you are getting less actual assistance because you're riding faster on the Creo?

There is nothing like Turbo. Eco, Sport and Turbo are just names of presets. You can set 25/100 in Turbo and it won't be Turbo anymore.
One thought: Creo is expected to ride faster than Vado SL because of air drag. Perhaps you are getting less actual assistance because you're riding faster on the Creo?
No, my observations are based on actual data from Blevo. On my Creo, turbo acts much differently that eco or sport. I can send you my Blevo csv file if you would like to see it. It shows that at the same rider input I get an extra 100 watts in turbo as compared to eco, even though both are set to the same assist and max. amounts.

No, my observations are based on actual data from Blevo. On my Creo, turbo acts much differently that eco or sport. I can send you my Blevo csv file if you would like to see it. It shows that at the same rider input I get an extra 100 watts in turbo as compared to eco, even though both are set to the same assist and max. amounts.
Jesus, and I thought I was being pretty racy and high tech when I used to clothespin playing cards to my spokes to make that loud motor sound. Somewhere along the line all this got a little bit complex.
It all tells me I deserve a long fitness ride on my Vado SL early in the morning. 35/100 Eco? :)
1651698498104.png

Vado SL, the big Vado, Trance E+: in that order this year.

1651698616936.png

Other people rode my "Fearless" for 500 km more :) The e-bike's name has the power: Whatever the situation is, I trust my Fearless will get me through any trouble! :)

Did my first short ride today lunch. Used the standard power profile. Tried Eco, sport and turbo. I guess the top button on the 2022 doesn't switch to turbo. It just toggles the tcu screen. I find out if you hold down the + button it allows you to go into a micro adjustment mode where you can increment or decrement the support by 10%, from 0 to 100%.

Already hate the seat. Changed out with my WTB Rocket. Annoyed that the rear light is attached to the seat already. For now I'm using 3m double-sided tape to hold the light to my WTB seat. Why do companies have to do proprietary crap like the light on the seat?

Also got stuck twice when I shifted into high and the chain got stuck between the derailleur and the cassette. Adjust the high screw at home so hopefully that's fixed. Also adjusted some positioning brake/shifter control so it was easier for me. A few bolts were looser than I liked also. Makes me a little concerned about the setup from the shop.

Oh yeah. One last thing. There is a small reflector above the front light. It just seems to hang loosely and sit in top of the light. I can move it up and down easily with my fingers. The bracket seems to be as tight as it goes, and holds the light plus the reflector.

Is it supposed to be that way, or did they put it together wrong?

Unassisted and Low Assistance Experiences

I had to cover pretty a distance on my Vado SL with two of my friends (of both sexes) yesterday. For various reasons, they are very slow traditional riders. As we rode with the tailwind on the pavement, I switched the assistance to OFF and rode unassisted, surprising myself my bad legs were better than theirs! In other situations (upwind, gravel/sand), I was using 20/20% SL assistance. As my "cruising leg power" is about 100 W, the motor was assisting me with 36 W, and the motor power cap was just 48 W!

The behaviour of the motor was surprising. With higher assistance, the motor produces a soft, continuous whine as I am pedalling. With the 20% assistance, the sound of the motor was intermittent as if the motor was giving me short continual "injections" of power but could not work continuously at the low assistance.

Anyone could notice that? @BioWheel: You seem to ride your VSL at low assistance. Observations?

I use the Specy defaults and my lowest power assist has only ever been ECO and the sound is just a purr - no issues.

Did my first short ride today lunch. Used the standard power profile. Tried Eco, sport and turbo.
Could you please open the Mission Control and tell me what the default parameters for the assist are?

I guess the top button on the 2022 doesn't switch to turbo. It just toggles the tcu screen.
Yes, yes, yes. However, Turbo is just two "+" clicks away from Eco! :)

I find out if you hold down the + button it allows you to go into a micro adjustment mode where you can increment or decrement the support by 10%, from 0 to 100%.
The greatest invention ever! I badly miss the feature on my older Specialized e-bikes!

Already hate the seat. Changed out with my WTB Rocket. Annoyed that the rear light is attached to the seat already. For now I'm using 3m double-sided tape to hold the light to my WTB seat. Why do companies have to do proprietary crap like the light on the seat?
That was the main reason I went with the EQ version. Not happy with the front fender (removed it and replaced with an Ass Saver) but the organization of the rear gave me freedom of choice for the seat-post and the saddle. Perhaps you could find some more permanent solution for the tail-light? Besides, all Specialized saddles are compatible. (Perhaps you could find one to meet your criteria?)

Also got stuck twice when I shifted into high and the chain got stuck between the derailleur and the cassette. Adjust the high screw at home so hopefully that's fixed. Also adjusted some positioning brake/shifter control so it was easier for me. A few bolts were looser than I liked also. Makes me a little concerned about the setup from the shop.
The rule that is observed in Europe is to visit the LBS after say 100-200 km ridden for obligatory "first warranty service", which is to be paid but inexpensive. I agree your LBS could have been careless. However, I still can remember my first e-bike bought from a decent Czech company. I had ridden that e-bike for a month planning a visit in my local bike shop for adjustments when a friend of mine managed to damage the derailleur... Which led me to the purchase of my Vado when I was waiting for the repair to be done :)

There is a small reflector above the front light. It just seems to hang loosely and sit in top of the light. I can move it up and down easily with my fingers. The bracket seems to be as tight as it goes, and holds the light plus the reflector.
A photo please?
I use the Specy defaults and my lowest power assist has only ever been ECO and the sound is just a purr - no issues.
Probably 35/100? That is not that low. In the 20/20%, the motor seems not to use the battery at all! (Probably almost not working).

Here is the photo. I looked at some stock photos and I don't see this on the internet photos. It's loose in the bracket. No way to tighten it, as far as I can tell. Maybe it's a new thing that someone decided we needed for safety?
Its
20220506_093641.jpg

Here is the photo. I looked at some stock photos and I don't see this on the internet photos. It's loose in the bracket. No way to tighten it, as far as I can tell. Maybe it's a new thing that someone decided we needed for safety?
ItsView attachment 122527
different markets have different requirements for reflectors; depending on how risk averse your LBS is they may or may not attach them all. i’ve bought 4 specialized bikes in the last year, some came with a bunch of reflectors front, rear, sides, wheels, pedals, etc per california law, some came with a bag of said reflectors unattached 😅

different markets have different requirements for reflectors; depending on how risk averse your LBS is they may or may not attach them all. i’ve bought 4 specialized bikes in the last year, some came with a bunch of reflectors front, rear, sides, wheels, pedals, etc per california law, some came with a bag of said reflectors unattached 😅
I can't recall how many of my bikes required me to dremel/file off "lawyer's lips" to allow quick release to actually quick release!

Oh yeah. One last thing. There is a small reflector above the front light. It just seems to hang loosely and sit in top of the light. I can move it up and down easily with my fingers. The bracket seems to be as tight as it goes, and holds the light plus the reflector.

Is it supposed to be that way, or did they put it together wrong?
It's supposed to be like that I think. My shop set the bike up well for me and it was exactly as you described. I've used a zip tie to attach it tight to the top of the light so it doesn't rattle.

Rode 14 miles yesterday. 27 miles today. Rode almost all ECO.

Today I had Eco@35/100. Went outbound until battery was at 60%. More uphill and 10-15mph headwind. Wanted to make sure I had enough to get back. Ended up getting back with about 40% left. Tried putting it in Turbo 100/100 for the last 3 miles. That was Fun! Future shock definitely helped with the crappy sections of road. Felt it but not as much.

Had to adjust my seat. Again Specialized with the seat post screw in the frame. So sleek, but wtf. Makes it hard to tighten with a multi tool. Over-engineered. Ah well. There is a good reason most bikes have the screw for the seatpost facing sideways!

Also looking at mileage remaining can be scary if you are going more uphill on the way out.

My butt hurts... Need to ride more. Only my 2nd ride this season. Rode this particular route faster and farther than I have before. Averaged 13mph. Don't feel like I'm going to pass out. Usually going 20-30 miles for me, I feel dead the rest of the day.

Had to explain the bike to my wife. I told her since our 23rd anniversary (silver anniversary) is tomorrow. Its an anniversary gift to myself. Silver Vader. I don't think she appreciated it.

Rode 14 miles yesterday. 27 miles today. Rode almost all ECO.

Today I had Eco@35/100. Went outbound until battery was at 60%. More uphill and 10-15mph headwind. Wanted to make sure I had enough to get back. Ended up getting back with about 40% left. Tried putting it in Turbo 100/100 for the last 3 miles. That was Fun! Future shock definitely helped with the crappy sections of road. Felt it but not as much.

Had to adjust my seat. Again Specialized with the seat post screw in the frame. So sleek, but wtf. Makes it hard to tighten with a multi tool. Over-engineered. Ah well. There is a good reason most bikes have the screw for the seatpost facing sideways!

Also looking at mileage remaining can be scary if you are going more uphill on the way out.

My butt hurts... Need to ride more. Only my 2nd ride this season. Rode this particular route faster and farther than I have before. Averaged 13mph. Don't feel like I'm going to pass out. Usually going 20-30 miles for me, I feel dead the rest of the day.

Had to explain the bike to my wife. I told her since our 23rd anniversary (silver anniversary) is tomorrow. Its an anniversary gift to myself. Silver Vader. I don't think she appreciated it.
BALEAF Men's Padded Bike Shorts Cycling Underwear 3D Padding Mountain Biking Bicycle Riding Liner Biker

Reading the messages on here over time its the saddle that seems to cause most problems for everybody. We all have different size bums I guess! For me, the specialized seat hurt for the first few weeks, but that's kind of always been my experience on a new bike so I tend to be patient and give it a good go. I kept tweaking the height (and yes that Specialized concealed seat post bolt is a real pain! Hate it.) and also over time and plenty of riding I just stopped noticing a problem. At this point with saddles (after numerous bikes), I give them time to bed in and only if I still have a problem after a good number of rides do I think of changing. With the light attached to the saddle on the SL 4 unequipped it was an added incentive to stick with the saddle as I really like the light there. Anyway now the saddle feels fine. I'd recommend to people to see how it goes over a few weeks/month, unless obviously the saddle is just complete agony. Your body changes as you ride, dormant muscles waking up etc, it all has an effect.

Back