Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

I've been to Omaha a number of times and know what you mean about hills. In fact, we just returned a few hours ago from our weekend in Omaha attending the Berkshire meeting! And my late sister-in-law lived there for many years in the 90th & Blondo area. We were staying at a hotel around 120th & Blondo, and every time I drive along Blondo and similar roads I try to imagine what it would be like to be a cyclist (or runner) in that area: nothing but very steep ups and downs! Not bicycle-friendly in a number of ways. If I lived there now I'd have held onto my Vado 4.0, but the SL might still do the job.
Wow, what a what a small world. My wife likes to go to the Berkshire meetings every year. Too many long lines for me. Next time you come we should get together and go for a ride. We can ride up the steepest and 2nd steepest hills as they are only 1.2 miles apart. Very pretty rides north of Omaha up the bluffs along the Missouri river. Hopefully, I will have my e bike by then.

if you can ride up said hill yourself at say 4mph, you'll be able to ride up it two to three times as fast on a vado SL or creo SL. your power + 1.8 * your power = 2.8x your power.

looking around omaha and reading some online references to the hills, i don't see anything insanely steep (then again i live in san francisco so we may have a different frame of reference!). if you're going up at 4-5mph i'll hazard a guess that we're talking about a 6-8% slope max unless you're a very strong rider. go over to bike calculator http://bikecalculator.com/ and enter what you think the stats are, and switch between say 150w, which gets you up a 7% slope at 4.5mph, and 330w, which is what your effort plus a creo/vado would equal if you were contributing 120 watts (20% less than 150)... you'll be going 9.5mph. if your power drops to 100w, the motor power would drop to 180w, but you're still at 280w.... going over 8mph and doing a lot less work.

the SL bikes start to get iffy with grades in the 15-20% range, where the motor output is maxed out, and the total power of rider+motor is only enough to go 5mph or less. there are often unpaved roads this steep, but paved roads in the united states are really, really rarely that steep. the SL bikes sound like a great choice for you, and the beauty of them is that they're light enough to not make your own contribution less significant, and still a ton of fun to ride.

if you decide you want drop bars, the new versions of the EVO creos (expert and above) have 11-50 rear cassettes, stock 44t chainring but you can go a bit smaller. with that kind of gearing on a vado or creo plus the motor... i bet you can ride up anything paved in omaha.

That's a good point. According to Redshift the maximum insertion to the clamp is 90mm ( 3.54"). I'm 5'7 1/2 so I think I would be ok. My seat top is 26" from the center of the crank, I believe, (I'm not at home to measure). Here's a photo. Can anyone infer if I would be ok?
Nice looking bike. Ohhhhh. I did not know Bianchi offered their color to Specialized. ;)

I will be going to test ride the Creo sl (aluminum ) this afternoon. I don't think I want drop bars anymore but the test ride should give me a better feeling for how I would do on my steep hill with a sl 5.0. Will let you know how the test ride went.
That's my bike! I wanted the drop bars because of the extra hand positions even in the upright positions. Due to neck issues I am almost never in the drop position but move my hands around from the bars to the hood area. I'm more than a bit overweight and getting the Creo up some of our hills is definitely work or a workout. But that is what I wanted, some work, but also important was the overall weight of the bike. I have a few short flight of steps to get the bike into my house and HEAVIER was just not going to work.

Enjoy the test ride. Also, make sure you know how the power levels are/were setup. Mission Control can tune the motor to provide a different range of power in each of the three settings or actually, it could tune all three settings to MAXIMUM (or minimum). So you really do need to know if they've setup the bike to provide 100% at one or more of the three settings - Eco, Trail/Sport and Turbo.

I will be going to test ride the Creo sl (aluminum ) this afternoon. I don't think I want drop bars anymore but the test ride should give me a better feeling for how I would do on my steep hill with a sl 5.0. Will let you know how the test ride went.
With that dinner-plate-size sprocket on the rear I doubt there's an Omaha hill you can't conquer on an SL. It might take a while at the speed you'll go in the lowest gear, but with the assist you should make it. Hint: even when the motor is doing max assist, remember to shift down like you would if going on human power alone -- it makes it easier on the motor and draws less juice that way.

it makes it easier on the motor and draws less juice that way.
I was riding this morning and thinking about this ... why does cadence influence climbing so much? If you shift down and up the power to TRAIL or TURBO it's a lot easier to climb, rather than upping the power and simply stomping on the pedals without changing to a lower gear.

I'm sure there's a good technical reason involving physics and stuff ... :)

I was riding this morning and thinking about this ... why does cadence influence climbing so much? If you shift down and up the power to TRAIL or TURBO it's a lot easier to climb, rather than upping the power and simply stomping on the pedals without changing to a lower gear.

I'm sure there's a good technical reason involving physics and stuff ... :)
It's hard to simplify this without my over-simplifying it and getting jumped on by someone over a technicality, but (leaving the motor out of it) this is what's going on. Whether you shift to a lower gear or not, you will do the same amount of work (where "work" is defined in physics as moving a weight through a distance, i.e., you and your bike's weight up a vertical distance). "Power", on the other hand, is the "rate of doing work". So if some beefy guy rides in a higher gear and really mashes the pedals, he'll get to the top of the hill before the guy who is in a lower gear and spinning without having to apply as much force. At the top of the hill, they will both have done the same amount of work, but one of them will probably be more tired out by having exerted more power (burned more calories).

This also applies to e-bikes. Shifting to a gear with a higher cadence reduces the force (watts) that has to be applied to maintain a given speed, but of course there is an upper limit to cadence.

Nice looking bike. Ohhhhh. I did not know Bianchi offered their color to Specialized. ;)
I really like the Redshift suspension seat post smoothing out bumps on my Vado 4.0 SL EQ. Glad I bought it.
Not feeling a big difference up front with Redshift suspension stem. Something to chat with my LBS at 60-day bike checkup.
And I can’t leave without big note of thanks and encouragement to all the bikers who keep smiling and riding despite serious health issues. My RA knocked me out of a teaching career, but the hope is exercise of all kinds will give us a bit more time to enjoy the spring flowers — year after year.
(Oops — wanted this reply to Redshift posts. Newbie here. Sorry)

I really like the Redshift suspension seat post smoothing out bumps on my Vado 4.0 SL EQ. Glad I bought it.
Not feeling a big difference up front with Redshift suspension stem. Something to chat with my LBS at 60-day bike checkup.
And I can’t leave without big note of thanks and encouragement to all the bikers who keep smiling and riding despite serious health issues. My RA knocked me out of a teaching career, but the hope is exercise of all kinds will give us a bit more time to enjoy the spring flowers — year after year.
(Oops — wanted this reply to Redshift posts. Newbie here. Sorry)
Do you ride mostly road or trails?

ok...posted my question on what bike to buy in the other forum, but test road a Turbo Vado SL 5.0 this afternoon. Sold. Should be ready in a couple of days.

Test road the 4.0 around the parking lot. Feels like my old Cannondale Quick Carbon but with help. Really liked the fact that it was light, but still able to help me get up some hills when I would normally be hurting (back/leg issues). Looking forward to some longer rides soon!

Any accessories I should get? I have a Garmin 530 already and some bags from my old bike. I'm assuming I can just clip the 530 into that mount by the handlebars. Trying to decide which pedals to put on it. I'm all in on spd, and have some PD-M520 or PD-EH500, or something different.

Saw the post above about a suspension seatpost. Wondering if this is something I should consider with my bad back. I know full suspension on my mountain bike helps a lot. I'm a bigger guy 250lbs. Will a seatpost like that work for a heavier guy?

Last edited:
ok...posted my question on what bike to buy in the other forum, but test road a Turbo Vado SL 5.0 this afternoon. Sold. Should be ready in a couple of days.

Test road the 4.0 around the parking lot. Feels like my old Cannondale Quick Carbon but with help. Really liked the fact that it was light, but still able to help me get up some hills when I would normally be hurting (back/leg issues). Looking forward to some longer rides soon!

Any accessories I should get? I have a Garmin 530 already and some bags from my old bike. I'm assuming I can just clip the 530 into that mount by the handlebars. Trying to decide which pedals to put on it. I'm all in on spd, and have some PD-M520 or PD-EH500, or something different.

Saw the post above about a suspension seatpost. Wondering if this is something I should consider with my bad back. I know full suspension on my mountain bike helps a lot. I'm a bigger guy 250lbs. Will a seatpost like that work for a heavier guy?
I don’t own a Vado (recent Creo purchaser), so I can’t speak to the need for a suspension seatpost. However I did add a Redshift post to my Trek 9.9S, and the difference was huge, in that my lower back was getting killed without it and was very comfortable with it. Unfortunately, the Redshift website says there’s a 242 lb. limit. It’d be worth a call to Redshift to inquire further about that weight limit if you think it’s needed on the Vado.

I don’t own a Vado (recent Creo purchaser), so I can’t speak to the need for a suspension seatpost. However I did add a Redshift post to my Trek 9.9S, and the difference was huge, in that my lower back was getting killed without it and was very comfortable with it. Unfortunately, the Redshift website says there’s a 242 lb. limit. It’d be worth a call to Redshift to inquire further about that weight limit if you think it’s needed on the Vado.
Seems like the Vado SL 5.0 has a rear light integrated in the seatpost, so maybe it won't be possible without losing the light. I guess I'll try it without first.

Seems like the Vado SL 5.0 has a rear light integrated in the seatpost, so maybe it won't be possible without losing the light. I guess I'll try it without first.
I have a Redshift on my SL 5.0 and I did have to remove the light. But, as mentioned above, the Redshift is probably not the best option given your weight. You might look into the Kinekt suspension posts that have a number of alternate spring weights available. In addition, I think that they can modify the post for a hole that the wiring for the light can pass through (still a bit of cut-and-splice required to do it I think).

I have the PD-EH500 pedals and like them.

That's my bike! I wanted the drop bars because of the extra hand positions even in the upright positions. Due to neck issues I am almost never in the drop position but move my hands around from the bars to the hood area. I'm more than a bit overweight and getting the Creo up some of our hills is definitely work or a workout. But that is what I wanted, some work, but also important was the overall weight of the bike. I have a few short flight of steps to get the bike into my house and HEAVIER was just not going to work.

Enjoy the test ride. Also, make sure you know how the power levels are/were setup. Mission Control can tune the motor to provide a different range of power in each of the three settings or actually, it could tune all three settings to MAXIMUM (or minimum). So you really do need to know if they've setup the bike to provide 100% at one or more of the three settings - Eco, Trail/Sport and Turbo.
Just got back from the creo sl test ride. OK, I'll admit it. I'm still smiling from ear to ear. Oops, I forgot to ask about mission control settings.

With that dinner-plate-size sprocket on the rear I doubt there's an Omaha hill you can't conquer on an SL. It might take a while at the speed you'll go in the lowest gear, but with the assist you should make it. Hint: even when the motor is doing max assist, remember to shift down like you would if going on human power alone -- it makes it easier on the motor and draws less juice that way.
The hills around the bike shop weren't nearly as steep as the hills where I live are. I put the Creo sl into max assist and never needed the lowest gears. What a lovely machine. I'm pretty sure the turbo vado sl 5.0 will work great for my needs. The sales guy said it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get the bike in and built. I think I will put the 40t on front and some thinner tires, 32's or 35's. Still smiling a little.

I think the 2022 5.0 doesn't come with the TCD, correct? That's what the LBS said anyway. Any reason for me to get it with a Garmin 530? Seems like no.

Also anyone have a good lightweight lock that you use attached to frame? One of those cafe wheel locks? Just looking for something if I need to stop for a restroom/beer stop. 5-15 mins. Otherwise I guess I'll get a folding lock and put it in my bag.

I might be an isolated case but after having owned a Vado SL for a couple of months, I took a demo ride on the aluminium Creo and decided a drop handlebar e-bike didn't belong to my tale :) It could be probably fit to my body (especially, if the bike were selected in the proper size) but the main difference is I could make a Metric Century on my Vado SL in the third day of my ownership but was overly tired after riding of 57 km on Creo.

Any reason for me to get it with a Garmin 530? Seems like no.
No reason whatsoever. Your Garmin will be a perfect display once connected to the SL e-bike by ANT+.

Back