Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Mission accomplished ... while inspecting the cassette it was clear that the 11T had never been unused. Swapping out the 44T for a 38T chainring unsurprisingly reduced the gearing throughout by about 15%, which effectively moves the most frequently used cogs on the cassette into the middle, and frees up a monster 38T x 50T which should enable me to climb anything*.
Not sure if there is no little misunderstanding here. Swapping the chainring to a smaller one indeed gives you the edge on climbing. However, it will use the small cogs more (not less) on the flat. Did I misunderstand anything?

I’ve spun out occasionally on 42/11 when I’ve been riding at high speed for a while and the conditions allow. My cadence is hitting 110 or higher. That means tail winds and a slight down slope. Usually in Sport assist. Hitting 32 mph plus. It doesn’t last because friction and fear slow me down. Also, at 74, I can’t pedal that hard for long.
31/32 is a pretty good top speed for a 38t so thats a great thing

Not sure if there is no little misunderstanding here. Swapping the chainring to a smaller one indeed gives you the edge on climbing. However, it will use the small cogs more (not less) on the flat. Did I misunderstand anything?
I think he meant the 11 tooth cog was never used. So he would still retain some high end gearing with the smaller chain ring on the previously unused 11 tooth cog. Agreed that the smaller chainring will cause the smaller cogs to be used more when not climbing.

However I would hesitate to fail to deny that I almost didn't misunderstand his post.

Apologies for the confusion ... the 11T had never been used. Now I've switched to a 38T chainring it might be.
There's nothing particularly flat around here, so I have more options when climbing and the majority of my riding will be focused a little more on the middle cogs at the back, so reducing the chain angles and wear. And I've got one lower gear for the really steep stuff. I'm not interested in powering down the slopes ... my knees would melt if I tried to pedal at 60 km/hr.

Apologies for the confusion ... the 11T had never been used. Now I've switched to a 38T chainring it might be.
There's nothing particularly flat around here, so I have more options when climbing and the majority of my riding will be focused a little more on the middle cogs at the back, so reducing the chain angles and wear. And I've got one lower gear for the really steep stuff. I'm not interested in powering down the slopes ... my knees would melt if I tried to pedal at 60 km/hr.
No doubt a wise decision of yours! We all should be grateful to @Rás Cnoic for his inspiration! He was one of the first Vado SL users in these Forums, and he kept me interested in the idea of getting such an e-bike for myself. (Although I didn't believe in the idea of the low-power, small battery, lightweight e-bike at that time yet).

Has anyone ridden singletrack or green trails on your SL (with proper tires of course)? If so, what did you think in comparison to an FS bike?
I have. Vado SL 4.0 EQ.
  • Redshift ShockStop suspension front & rear
  • Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss gravel tyres (or Schwalbe Smart Sam)
  • Front fender removed and replaced with an Ass Saver (the long mudflap of the original fender attracts small twigs and blocks the front wheel)
  • Innerbarends to imitate the hoods of a drop handlebar.
The riding experience was similar to riding a gravel bike in a similar terrain (pavement, gravel, a lot of green trails, and easy singletrack).

The comparison with an FS e-MTB:
  • You can 100% trust the FS e-MTB on singletrack and in very rough terrain. It is so good you can accelerate on gravel road full of potholes or washboard. (Your gravel cycling mates have to slow down in such environment).
  • The FS e-MTB is heavy. It is very difficult to lift it to carry it over obstacles found off-road (a fallen tree, for instance). It does not handle well on very tight corners on singletrack.
  • The FS e-MTB sucks on the pavement. It is slow and noisy.
  • The ride comfort of Vado SL modified the way I mentioned is almost as good as for the FS e-MTB
  • The traction on the Vado SL can fail sometimes (sand, for example). I had a crash when cornering in the sand. (Crashes are often experienced in gravel cycling off-road).
The Levo SL could be an alternative but it will be slow on the pavement, too. Only easy to lift.

Has anyone ridden singletrack or green trails on your SL (with proper tires of course)? If so, what did you think in comparison to an FS bike?
Very hard to compare I'd say. The riding style on both would be totally different. On an FS I'd bomb downhill with jumps and drop offs no real problem. On my Vado SL it's much more about controlling speed and picking a line and any serious drop off is a no go.

But with a dropper post and converting to 650b wheels with wider tyres, speed could definitely increase as I'd be in more control. That may well be a conversion I'll make in the future once I feel like dipping my hand in my pocket again. My explorations take me along roads, lanes, bridleways and occasionally muddy single track with rock gardens & drop offs. I can do it all now, but if steep downhill or rocky, control gets very sketchy. And safer to occasionally dismount and walk down obstacles. But because at least 60% of rides is on tarmac I don't want or need suspension. With the Vado Sl it's always going to be a compromise, but it's actually remarkable how 'off road' I can get with a bike marketed as city commuter or fitness e bike! It's a tough cookie. And the slack-ish geometry and long chain stays/low centre of gravity lend itself well to a stable off road platform.

I have. Vado SL 4.0 EQ.
  • Redshift ShockStop suspension front & rear
  • Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss gravel tyres (or Schwalbe Smart Sam)
  • Front fender removed and replaced with an Ass Saver (the long mudflap of the original fender attracts small twigs and blocks the front wheel)
  • Innerbarends to imitate the hoods of a drop handlebar.
The riding experience was similar to riding a gravel bike in a similar terrain (pavement, gravel, a lot of green trails, and easy singletrack).

The comparison with an FS e-MTB:
  • You can 100% trust the FS e-MTB on singletrack and in very rough terrain. It is so good you can accelerate on gravel road full of potholes or washboard. (Your gravel cycling mates have to slow down in such environment).
  • The FS e-MTB is heavy. It is very difficult to lift it to carry it over obstacles found off-road (a fallen tree, for instance). It does not handle well on very tight corners on singletrack.
  • The FS e-MTB sucks on the pavement. It is slow and noisy.
  • The ride comfort of Vado SL modified the way I mentioned is almost as good as for the FS e-MTB
  • The traction on the Vado SL can fail sometimes (sand, for example). I had a crash when cornering in the sand. (Crashes are often experienced in gravel cycling off-road).
The Levo SL could be an alternative but it will be slow on the pavement, too. Only easy to lift.
Thanks! Is the Redshift a worthwhile upgrade over future shock or neglible?

Very hard to compare I'd say. The riding style on both would be totally different. On an FS I'd bomb downhill with jumps and drop offs no real problem. On my Vado SL it's much more about controlling speed and picking a line and any serious drop off is a no go.

But with a dropper post and converting to 650b wheels with wider tyres, speed could definitely increase as I'd be in more control. That may well be a conversion I'll make in the future once I feel like dipping my hand in my pocket again. My explorations take me along roads, lanes, bridleways and occasionally muddy single track with rock gardens & drop offs. I can do it all now, but if steep downhill or rocky, control gets very sketchy. And safer to occasionally dismount and walk down obstacles. But because at least 60% of rides is on tarmac I don't want or need suspension. With the Vado Sl it's always going to be a compromise, but it's actually remarkable how 'off road' I can get with a bike marketed as city commuter or fitness e bike! It's a tough cookie. And the slack-ish geometry and long chain stays/low centre of gravity lend itself well to a stable off road platform.
This is awesome info, thank you! Specialized only seems to be missing the "XC" model that sits between the Vado, Tero, Levo and SL models.. though this seems by far the closest

Specialized only seems to be missing the "XC" model
That's the Tero.
  • XC: Tero (previous incarnation: Levo Hardtail)
  • Trail: Levo, Levo SL
  • Enduro, All-Mountain: Kenevo, Kenevo SL.
Thanks! Is the Redshift a worthwhile upgrade over future shock or neglible?
If someone already owns a FutureShock, there is no need to add the Redshift stem. It would be even counterproductive. The Redshift seat-post is greatly recommended for 27.2 mm seat-tube.

That's the Tero.
  • XC: Tero (previous incarnation: Levo Hardtail)
  • Trail: Levo, Levo SL
  • Enduro, All-Mountain: Kenevo, Kenevo SL.

If someone already owns a FutureShock, there is no need to add the Redshift stem. It would be even counterproductive. The Redshift seat-post is greatly recommended for 27.2 mm seat-tube.
Something similar to Treks e-caliber would be nice; maybe a Vado SL with limited rear suspension even

Something similar to Treks e-caliber would be nice; maybe a Vado SL with limited rear suspension even
It makes no sense to increase the weight of an e-bike meant to be super lightweight. You actually talk about something such as Tero SL (which might be yet designed). XC bikes are hardtails.

Trek e-Caliber is a lightweight Full Suspension e-bike. Turbo Levo SL is a direct competitor.

The exciting news is the Step-Through Vado SL shall appear in our market sometime in August. I'm strongly interested in buying Vado SL 4.0 EQ ST size M, White Sage colour!
Stefan, Did you ever buy the white sage Vado SL ST EQ? Because you talk so highly of your bike, I went to my LBS yesterday and looked at their inventory of Vado SL's. They only had two, a L and an XL. Both of which are way too big for me. I take a size S or M depending on the bike and the posture I am looking for. Maybe it's just as well, I've already bought my (self imposed) limit of ebikes for the year. Plus, I don't think I could even ride a bike without a suspension right now, the trails are so messed up. Lots of footprints, hoofprints, and ruts in the clay from riding while the clay was wet. I need to stay away from the LBS for now!!!

Mike...

My 101 km ride of today: Asphalt including cracked one. Terribly potty gravel. Cobblestone. Forest paths full of twigs, cones, sand and tree-roots.

Vado SL. Redshift front & rear. Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss at 3.0 bar (front), 3.40 (rear). And I was even not tired after my return.

FB_IMG_1651347583342.jpg

My 101 km ride of today: Asphalt including cracked one. Terribly potty gravel. Cobblestone. Forest paths full of twigs, cones, sand and tree-roots.

Vado SL. Redshift front & rear. Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss at 3.0 bar (front), 3.40 (rear). And I was even not tired after my return.

View attachment 121898
You forgot to include the photo of you sipping a beer after your ride! Ha!

Nice bike! So you did do it!!!

BTW, I've never tried redshift. That should be the next thing to try!

Mike...

Last edited:
BTW, I've never tried redshift. That should be the next thing to try!
Probably not necessary for your big Vado. Your suspension fork and wide tyres (especially ridden at lower inflation pressure) are excellent ride-softening aids. The Vado SL 5.0 comes with Specialized FutureShock stem. Redshift stem is greatly recommended for rigid fork e-bikes (flat and drop handlebars), such as Vado SL 4.0.

You forgot to include the photo of you sipping a beer after your ride! Ha!
Actually, I had a beer on the 25th kilometre :) It was excellent, perfectly hopped alcohol free Ale :)

Probably not necessary for your big Vado. Your suspension fork and wide tyres (especially ridden at lower inflation pressure) are excellent ride-softening aids. The Vado SL 5.0 comes with Specialized FutureShock stem. Redshift stem is greatly recommended for rigid fork e-bikes (flat and drop handlebars), such as Vado SL 4.0.

Actually, I had a beer on the 25th kilometre :) It was excellent, perfectly hopped alcohol free Ale :)
Stefan,

I would probably try it on one of my rigid bikes, like the Linus Felix e6100! that’s the one in my avatar!

I debated taking a beer with me, but decided that would get me into trouble… in more ways than one, so that has to wait until I get home!

Mike…

Last edited:

Back