Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

"A visceral reaction to laying a bike down flat on the ground "... me too.
As you know, no (derailleur) bike shall be laid down on the drive-side. I watched one of the Electric Mountain Bike Network videos, the one in which one Steve Jones (not the guitarist of Sex Pistols!) travelled over the Death Valley CA. At some moment, he had to swap the battery, and that happened at an ascent. Steve was so tired he dropped the Cannondale onto the drive-side... :D

It is the 220 mm "Road" cable. There are only two sizes: Road and MTB. The Road RE Cable is used on Vado/Como/Creo SL. The MTB Re Cable is for Levo and Kenevo SL, as these have very compact frames and need a shorter cable.

Your RE will come with a Zee Cage II (L) and a rubber band for fixing the Re Cable plug in place. Pay attention to a rotating slide at he bike side plug: When the slide is rotated to the right (counter clockwise), you can insert the plub into the socket. Rotating clockwise (down) secures the plug in the socket.

Also pay attention how the RE has been originally mounted inside the Zee Cage II.

Did you order the RE Y-Cable as well?

Besides, the Warsaw LBS got as many as 15 Range Extenders:
-- Is it OK if I buy two Range Extenders? -- I asked.
-- You may buy all fifteen of them! -- the salesman smiled -- We won't sell them for a year!
:)
I think you mean, "rotated" LEFT which is counter clockwise (unless you are a friend who always views from behind the clock - he's a bit odd). But I'm left handed and might be screwing this up!!!

And rotating right can sometimes offer resistance - make sure it is fully plugged in.

I think you mean, "rotated" LEFT which is counter clockwise (unless you are a friend who always views from behind the clock - he's a bit odd). But I'm left handed and might be screwing this up!!!

And rotating right can sometimes offer resistance - make sure it is fully plugged in.
I meant the slider points at three o'clock in the open position. And it is six o'clock in the closed position.
(Often falling into language traps!)

I did my first work on my new SL this morning, wherein I learned that I've lost a lot of mechanical dexterity over the years, but no problems in the end. The trickiest item to install was going to be the rack, so I did that first. This is the third bike that I've used this same model rack on since it's very light and "minimal", and the solid decking does pretty well as a rudimentary fender to keep mud off my back. Since the SL doesn't have the usual mounts on the seat stays, the tricky part was to mount it with a single, center-mounted strap using the existing screw on the seat stay bridge that I assume is for the fender on an EQ model. This required removing the rear wheel and gave me an appreciation for the design of that extra-long-cage 12-speed SRAM derailleur that has a really heavy spring to overcome when getting the wheel off. However, it went more smoothly than I expected and made for an overall nice installation.

In the photo below the support strap is viewed edge-on so you can't see it that well, but you can get the idea. By the way, that's a brand new Park 10.3 workstand that will be great for working on my e-bikes; way more stable than the old one that I had been trying to use.

2022-03-20 09.39.58.jpg

I did my first work on my new SL this morning, wherein I learned that I've lost a lot of mechanical dexterity over the years, but no problems in the end. The trickiest item to install was going to be the rack, so I did that first. This is the third bike that I've used this same model rack on since it's very light and "minimal", and the solid decking does pretty well as a rudimentary fender to keep mud off my back. Since the SL doesn't have the usual mounts on the seat stays, the tricky part was to mount it with a single, center-mounted strap using the existing screw on the seat stay bridge that I assume is for the fender on an EQ model. This required removing the rear wheel and gave me an appreciation for the design of that extra-long-cage 12-speed SRAM derailleur that has a really heavy spring to overcome when getting the wheel off. However, it went more smoothly than I expected and made for an overall nice installation.

In the photo below the support strap is viewed edge-on so you can't see it that well, but you can get the idea. By the way, that's a brand new Park 10.3 workstand that will be great for working on my e-bikes; way more stable than the old one that I had been trying to use.

View attachment 117274
That's the mounting point the shop used to mount my rack on my Creo.

Is there anything special to know about pulling the seatpost on the SL? Is it enough to just loosen that wedge piece without fully removing it? I seem to recall someone warning about accidentally losing some piece down the tube.

My SL came with the clamp and post out. I don't recall having any issues with installing the clamp. Just loosen the clamp bolt sufficiently that the wedge is loose, offer everything up, get the seat height correct and tighten it up. I think you'd need to undo the bolt a long way to lose the wedge.

Of course, you could always invert the bike if you were feeling very nervous ;)

Is there anything special to know about pulling the seatpost on the SL? Is it enough to just loosen that wedge piece without fully removing it? I seem to recall someone warning about accidentally losing some piece down the tube.
I’m one of those who lost the wedge down the tube. It’s an easy error. If, unlike me, you remember it’s a possibility, you won’t have a problem.

Meanwhile...
  • I might want to try Pathfinders on my Vado SL. I was cornering in the sand on Nimbus tyres and collapsed. The crash was very soft. Still.
  • The front fender has to go for the warm season! I managed to catch twigs between the fender and the tyre, effectively stopping the wheel rotation. Twice.
  • I intend to give all three Range Extenders to the LBS for the software update. I was using one of new Range Extenders in full to test new capabilities. The new RE -- upon getting discharged down to 8% -- was switching the e-bike off with a message "Battery Empty Error" on my Wahoo, even if the main battery was fully charged and ready for its turn at the RE 5% charge level. This happened for the same new RE on two different rides.

Meanwhile...
  • I might want to try Pathfinders on my Vado SL. I was cornering in the sand on Nimbus tyres and collapsed. The crash was very soft. Still.
  • The front fender has to go for the warm season! I managed to catch twigs between the fender and the tyre, effectively stopping the wheel rotation. Twice.
  • I intend to give all three Range Extenders to the LBS for the software update. I was using one of new Range Extenders in full to test new capabilities. The new RE -- upon getting discharged down to 8% -- was switching the e-bike off with a message "Battery Empty Error" on my Wahoo, even if the main battery was fully charged and ready for its turn at the RE 5% charge level. This happened for the same new RE on two different rides.

Was not aware that a RE battery could be updated - thanks Stefan - something else to think about when I finally take in my SL for latest firmware.

Was not aware that a RE battery could be updated - thanks Stefan - something else to think about when I finally take in my SL for latest firmware.
@Stefan Mikes do they need the entire bike for the RE update? I'm not sure about that. Because I also have two and one was on the bike when I had software updated. I really wish they would let us do these updates ourselves.

As long as you connect an RE to the bike and start Mission Control, Device Updates will show whether the battery really needs to be updated. Ironically, both new REs are up to date, and the old one is outdated but working flawlessly...

@Stefan Mikes do they need the entire bike for the RE update?
Of course it is only the RE to be updated. However, I will tell you the fact after I come back from the LBS tomorrow.

Meanwhile...
That's one reason I preferred the non-EQ. After your comments elsewhere about using both brakes, I assume you know to take it easy on using the front brake when cornering on sand or in the wet. :oops:
I was on a group trip with a lot of mud. The two people with fenders were bragging about staying clean, but then they started getting mud packed up under the fenders and were stopped until they could dig it out. Several times.

That's one reason I preferred the non-EQ. After your comments elsewhere about using both brakes, I assume you know to take it easy on using the front brake when cornering on sand or in the wet. :oops:

I was on a group trip with a lot of mud. The two people with fenders were bragging about staying clean, but then they started getting mud packed up under the fenders and were stopped until they could dig it out. Several times.
Hey, Doug. The EQ version offers great benefits if you live in a wet country such as Poland and ride all year round.
The rear, with the integrated rack and tail-light is good. No issue to replace the saddle and/or the seat-post.

The front fender can go for the warm season, it is easy.

Got my bike yesterday (photos to follow), they gave me the wrong cable for the range extender it seems. Before I run there to complain: the cable length is measured between the plugs, not the overall length including plugs, right? I have 160mm of "pure cable" between the plugs and the bike wants a 220mm cable I guess.

Only did a short lap through the yard yesterday, had other obligations with the wife later on.

Ronaan, congratulations in the first place! Pictures? Ride impressions?
Snagged a quick pic in a short home-office break; it's pretty much stock so far with the range extender cage and a lock installed.
I do have a racktime Odin to snap on, bought a Garmin Edge Explore from a friend, and from there we will see. Thinking about nicer pedals, the stock ones are pretty boring for a beauty like this.

IMG_5447.jpeg

they gave me the wrong cable for the range extender it seems
Called the shop and the guy said it was intentional because the longer cable bends funny so they usually give out the 160mm and rotate the range extender.

Bruh that's not how it's supposed to work. :rolleyes:

Getting it exchanged for the 220mm next time I'm in town.

Now I'm done with work and have to do some recreational chainsaw stuff, again I can't take it for a ride 😭

Snagged a quick pic in a short home-office break; it's pretty much stock so far with the range extender cage and a lock installed.
I do have a racktime Odin to snap on, bought a Garmin Edge Explore from a friend, and from there we will see. Thinking about nicer pedals, the stock ones are pretty boring for a beauty like this.

View attachment 117655
I like the fade colors.

That may be the road cable. Go on site and check their cables. But if it does not fit, it is wrong.

Back