Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

pads [...] near your elbows
This.

I have completed my Innerbarends test ride. Honestly, I could live without them. They are hard on palms, even in gloves! The width of handlebars for ride control becomes very narrow, making it less controllable. Still, I won't throw the SQlab into the dustbin. Not yet. I need a very long ride to determine the usefulness of the inner bar ends yet.

What I cannot understand are claims of several users that innerbarends are better than GP2/GP3. Not for me. I spend hours riding in GP2/GP3 bar ends to the utmost satisfaction.

This.

I have completed my Innerbarends test ride. Honestly, I could live without them. They are hard on palms, even in gloves! The width of handlebars for ride control becomes very narrow, making it less controllable. Still, I won't throw the SQlab into the dustbin. Not yet. I need a very long ride to determine the usefulness of the inner bar ends yet.

What I cannot understand are claims of several users that innerbarends are better than GP2/GP3. Not for me. I spend hours riding in GP2/GP3 bar ends to the utmost satisfaction.
I have had the Innerbarends on my Vado SL for a few months and the GP3 on my Turbo S. I also find I prefer the GP3 but I can see it would be personal preference. If I keep the Vado SL I will switch to the GP3.

This.

I have both the gp3 ends and the SQL inner ends and use them both. I use the gp3 more often but I like the SQL for the more aero times like into a headwind. They let me pull my elbows in and make it easier to hunch down than the outer ends. They did seem uncomfortable and small my first few rides but soon became much more comfortable. I push my hands forward against them and keep my fingers draped over the brake levers while leaning forward.

I find the width is similar to the hand placement I most often used on my road bike’s drop bars - on the bend that curves toward the hoods.

Stefan, I hope after a few more rides you find the SQ’s work for you. If not, maybe a creo is what you need!

I just purchased the SL 5.0 and am coming from a Cannondale Quick 2 Hybrid. I am noticing some back pain that i suspect is related to a slightly lower handlebar on the SL. It is not obvious to me when I switch from one bike to the other so I am only guessing that this is the issue. Has anyone raised their handlebar on a bike with the future shock? Can it be done? I know that there are some issues with raising the bar but if I understand correctly, it can be done. Correct me if I am wrong.
Hello @randyhat and Vado SL users. First post from a prospective buyer.
I'm considering a Vado SL 5 and currently ride a Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 from 2015. The frame geometry of this is not on Bike Insights. I've carefully measured all the relevant dimensions and compared the XL frame sizes (I'm 6' 1" or 186 cm tall). Most are broadly comparable - the stepover is identical and the wheelbase is within 2 cm (SL slightly longer).

However, the stack measurement is out by 70 mm (longer in SL). Stack is vertical line from BB to horizontal line from headset. This doesn't make sense considering how similar the rest of the frame appears to be. Reach is ver similar between two frames.

I have no way of trying the bike and have to order by mail (I live very remotely, probably 1000 miles roundtrip to nearest bike shop with stock).

Two questions:
  • Is my interpretation of frame sizes correct - should I be surprised if stack is different even if other dimensions are the same?
  • Is XL appropriate for a rider of my height? I'm right on the boundary between L and XL. Cannondale Quick in L was too small.
  • Can the mudguards / rack from the SL EQ be removed without a problem for balmy summer rides?
OK, that was three .... sorry ;)

Thank you from Scotland where it's currently raining ... but still looks beautiful.
David

David, some answers but not all:

If you plan doing gravel-cycling rides in the summer, I recommend you consider the non-EQ version of the 5.0. Let me tell you why:

I bought my SL 4.0 EQ mostly because that was available when I needed it. I soon found the mudguards of the SL had a very tight clearance to the tyre, and the (intentionally) long front mudguard flap was too long. When you're riding gravel on the EQ, the pebbles rattle inside mudguards. Little twigs get easily entangled in the front mudflap, and the front wheel gets blocked often (which could even be dangerous). Furthermore, the wheels get easily blocked by the mud between wheels and mudguards. For that reason, the non-EQ version is appropriate for your riding type.

For rainy weather, you can install temporary MTB mudguards, such as Ass Savers or SKS Blades. Same as you would do on your Cannondale.

Removing Vado SL mudguards and rack from the EQ is not easy. It is because the tail-light is integrated with the mudguard. (Removing the rear mudguard will remove the rack, too). Relocating the tail-light to the saddle rails is a serious DIY work. You would be therefore well off if you bought the 5.0 non-EQ. (You could even consider installing wider tyres!)
---------------
I'm not an expert on bike geometry. You should pay the attention to the Standover Height in the first place. Let me share my own experience again:

I am of proper leg length to ride the M size of Vado SL. Yet, only the L size was available for a demo ride. I took a risk and -- to my surprise -- I found I was comfortable on the L sized Vado SL. After I bought the M, friends were telling me I looked to big compared to the e-bike size. In fact, I had to replace the stem, and "slam it" (installing the stem in the flipped position) to extend my reach. I cannot draw conclusions for you, though.

1635324295486.png

1635324493114.png

Which comparison looks more convincing to you?

Last edited:
Hello Stefan ... many thanks. I won't be doing any gravel track riding. There are few in this part of the world and those that exist are nearly vertical ;) We have a lot of rain, hence the interest in a bike with mudguards ...however, I also like no 'guards if the weather is good.

Perhaps I should have also asked how easy is it to attach full mudguards to the non-EQ version of the bike? That would avoid the rewiring of the rear light. I have no interest in a rack and am unlikely to use it.

I'm not sure the 2020 Cannondale Quick is the same frame geometry at all (I think mine is a 2015 bike and it's no longer sold, or listed on BI - see photo).

PXL_20201015_103424996.jpg

The 2020 model has an aluminium frame rather than my full carbon frame and forks and the standover is about 2 cm less for the current model. I'll check the other dimensions.

That they're different would also fit with the first of the two images you embedded. The XL SL Vado has a standover of 84 cm (identical to my Cannondale as measured). However, the 2020 Quick you compare it to is shorter (both on paper and in the BI diagram).

As an aside, the Cannondale is a nightmare to attach mudguards to as the boltholes in the frame are oriented vertically, under the fork arch and under the bridge on the rear stays. I never managed to fit them and have several sets of unused mudguards gathering dust in the shed.

With thanks again ...
David

David,

By "gravel cycling" I understand riding in mixed terrain, that is, both paved and unpaved roads (not necessarily gravel ones). (The EQ version is the best for paved roads).

Installing mudguards... Not that easy. For the rear mudguard, Vado SL has two attachment points: a horizontal one very low at the back of the motor, and another at the rear triangle joint. Normally, the Vado SL rear mudguard is also supported by the rack in two attachment points. It means, there are only two attachment points that you could actually use (A and B).

1635331528411.png

1635331604463.png

With the front mudguard, the attachment point is a vertical hole under the fork arch.

For these reason I was suggesting blade mudguards attached to the fork, and to the saddle (or rear triangle) with zip-ties.

David,

By "gravel cycling" I understand riding in mixed terrain, that is, both paved and unpaved roads (not necessarily gravel ones). (The EQ version is the best for paved roads).

Installing mudguards... Not that easy. For the rear mudguard, Vado SL has two attachment points: a horizontal one very low at the back of the motor, and another at the rear triangle joint. Normally, the Vado SL rear mudguard is also supported by the rack in two attachment points. It means, there are only two attachment points that you could actually use (A and B).

View attachment 104815

View attachment 104816

With the front mudguard, the attachment point is a vertical hole under the fork arch.

For these reason I was suggesting blade mudguards attached to the fork, and to the saddle (or rear triangle) with zip-ties.
Thank you Stefan ... very useful. Looking at the frame images of the SL and the SL EQ it looks as though the rear dropouts of the former don't even have the upper bolt hole to take the rack. That certainly makes fitting 'guards (other than the type that have rubber straps for the seat stays) very difficult.

We only have paved roads here ... all the tracks (gravel and/or grass) are the vertical ones. There aren't many and they don't go particularly useful places. We also have paths. These are also vertical and there's no way to ride them on a bike (though I expect some people do).

David

We only have paved roads here ... all the tracks (gravel and/or grass) are the vertical ones.
If you don't mind the looks, get yourself the EQ then (good for the wet season for sure, I can confirm it!) Bear in mind mudguards and rack significantly add to the weight of otherwise very lightweight e-bike.

If you don't mind the looks, get yourself the EQ then (good for the wet season for sure, I can confirm it!) Bear in mind mudguards and rack significantly add to the weight of otherwise very lightweight e-bike.
On the other hand I'd suggest getting the non EQ version. I only put mudguards on my TV SL5 for the winter season when I prefer to stay clean and dry! Otherwise for the rest of the year I like the smoother lines and less encumbered look of the bare machine... Guards are available from Specialized and fit very well (though my rear guard is slightly non-standard as I was an early adopter last year - pic attached!)

Attachments

• IMG_20211027_162329.jpg
    IMG_20211027_162329.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 164
How do you support the back end of the mudguards @PennyFarthing ? I can see from Stefan's pics where they attach behind the bottom bracket and under the junction of the seat stays. However, your pic has a bridge at the seat stay junction, whereas Stefan's looks like it's brazed together as a filled-in triangle. The current pics on the Specialized website look like this as well - a filled-in triangle.

And just seen @Stefan Mikes follow-up Q ... I would be interested as well.

Thanks for all your help.
David

How do you support the back end of the mudguards @PennyFarthing ? I can see from Stefan's pics where they attach behind the bottom bracket and under the junction of the seat stays. However, your pic has a bridge at the seat stay junction, whereas Stefan's looks like it's brazed together as a filled-in triangle. The current pics on the Specialized website look like this as well - a filled-in triangle.

And just seen @Stefan Mikes follow-up Q ... I would be interested as well.

Thanks for all your help.
David
The guards are essentially 'Drytech's like this: https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/16635/2017-dry-tech-fender-set/
When I bought the bike I got my LBS to fit a pair, however due to size availability issues I ended up with guards that were a bit too wide. My LBS nibbled some metal off the front guard to make it fit between the forks, however this introduced a point of failure - so when metal fatigue struck I got the correct front guard. The rear clip that secures to the frame also succumbed to fatigue, hence my very effective tie-wrap and bit of old inner tube cushion!
https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/16635/2017-dry-tech-fender-set/
1635352294548.png

I just walked into my local Specialized store earlier this year and they sold me just a front mudguard for £20 which fitted perfectly [not sure I would have paid the price shown on the above link for a set!]. I assume I could have got a similarly priced rear, but as I'm still using what my LBS put on I'm fine for now. The stays fix into the provided holes in the frame and are held with tiny allen head grub screws. Front & rear shown, photography not the best due to cluttered & dark garage!
1635352862655.png
1635352907391.png

I'd advise discussing with a store before ordering guards to make sure you get the right sized/priced ones!

The guards are essentially 'Drytech's like this: https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/16635/2017-dry-tech-fender-set/
When I bought the bike I got my LBS to fit a pair, however due to size availability issues I ended up with guards that were a bit too wide. My LBS nibbled some metal off the front guard to make it fit between the forks, however this introduced a point of failure - so when metal fatigue struck I got the correct front guard. The rear clip that secures to the frame also succumbed to fatigue, hence my very effective tie-wrap and bit of old inner tube cushion!
https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/16635/2017-dry-tech-fender-set/
View attachment 104830

I just walked into my local Specialized store earlier this year and they sold me just a front mudguard for £20 which fitted perfectly [not sure I would have paid the price shown on the above link for a set!]. I assume I could have got a similarly priced rear, but as I'm still using what my LBS put on I'm fine for now. The stays fix into the provided holes in the frame and are held with tiny allen head grub screws. Front & rear shown, photography not the best due to cluttered & dark garage!
View attachment 104834View attachment 104838

I'd advise discussing with a store before ordering guards to make sure you get the right sized/priced ones!
I might have misunderstood you but Drytech mudguards is something I want to get rid of :) I hoped for some MTB mudguards.

Hello @randyhat and Vado SL users. First post from a prospective buyer.
I'm considering a Vado SL 5 and currently ride a Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 from 2015. The frame geometry of this is not on Bike Insights. I've carefully measured all the relevant dimensions and compared the XL frame sizes (I'm 6' 1" or 186 cm tall). Most are broadly comparable - the stepover is identical and the wheelbase is within 2 cm (SL slightly longer).

However, the stack measurement is out by 70 mm (longer in SL). Stack is vertical line from BB to horizontal line from headset. This doesn't make sense considering how similar the rest of the frame appears to be. Reach is ver similar between two frames.

I have no way of trying the bike and have to order by mail (I live very remotely, probably 1000 miles roundtrip to nearest bike shop with stock).

Two questions:
  • Is my interpretation of frame sizes correct - should I be surprised if stack is different even if other dimensions are the same?
  • Is XL appropriate for a rider of my height? I'm right on the boundary between L and XL. Cannondale Quick in L was too small.
  • Can the mudguards / rack from the SL EQ be removed without a problem for balmy summer rides?
OK, that was three .... sorry ;)

Thank you from Scotland where it's currently raining ... but still looks beautiful.
David
About the size Vado SL for you:
I am 6’3” and set the saddle height on my XL Vado SL 4.0 to 32”, measured from bottom bracket center, straight up the seat tube, to the top of the saddle. This puts it at about 1 cm short of the minimum insertion point. The stock 14 degree stem, along with the spacers under it, puts the bars at about the same height as my saddle. My ride position is perfect for me - I lean forward a little but not as much as I do on my Specialized Roubaix, which has a steep stem and max spacers.

Looking at your picture of your L Cannondale, your saddle height sure doesn’t make it look like it’s too small for you. The Vado SL feels like a big bike to me. My Roubaix is an XXL (61cm) and the fit is very comparable, with the XL VSL having a slightly shorter reach due to the flat bars slight backsweep vs drop bars forward bend.

Thanks @PennyFarthing ... I see them now :) ... they're also just about visible in a close look at the images on the Specialized website.

Thanks @Calcoaster ... my Cannondale is an XL ... the seat is at 30" using the same measurement you just quoted. The Cannondale is the right size for me (I think!). At least, it's comfortable to ride and I've done a lot of miles on it.

Most shops in the UK appear to be down to limited sizes only of the SL 5.0's with the 2022 model not yet available. Some are selling off old stock at a very slight discount. With new stock coming in it's possible one of the closer shops (only an 8 hour return trip!) might have something I could try, rather than guesstimating.

Very interesting that the Vado SL feels like a "big bike" @Calcoaster. Clearly I have some more thinking to do.

Another check on size is to use the Specialized bike sizing app. It's kind of a hidden link on the bike size pages. When you click on the size guide (chart) for a model there is a small link for "Retül is here to help. Find Your Size" that leads to the link below. It is a guide to double check your size. I was looking at on sale XL Creo's that were nominally my size but when I tried the app it suggested a Large. Test riding both determined the Large was correct.

Many thanks @Allan47.7339 ... I'd not seen that app. I've just done the measurement and put them in and it recommends an XL ... and further suggests that my saddle height should be 78.6cm from the BB. That's a couple of centimetres higher than my current saddle on the Cannondale. I'll take the measurements again when there's someone here to check my leg was at right angles etc., but it certainly suggests that the XL is the correct one.

Many thanks @Allan47.7339 ... I'd not seen that app. I've just done the measurement and put them in and it recommends an XL ... and further suggests that my saddle height should be 78.6cm from the BB. That's a couple of centimetres higher than my current saddle on the Cannondale. I'll take the measurements again when there's someone here to check my leg was at right angles etc., but it certainly suggests that the XL is the correct one.
Can you try the Vado SL before you actually buy it?

Not easily. I live in a very remote location. I'm an 8 hour return drive to the nearest large town (Edinburgh, Scotland) with a good bike shop. But they have none in stock - or apparently available from other branches. Many stores have already sold out of the 2021 model. One that has not is 450 miles away (about 9 hours by car). They do free delivery ;) .

I would expect the Edinburgh store to have 2022 stock in next year (sometime).

Back