Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

What interests me is that in about a year of riding you are in good enough shape to buy the SL ... that you didn't even think you could ride a year ago. Pretty quick progress, I say.
Right. I even didn't think of it a month ago... Good that a demo ride was possible! From what I can see now, the only e-bikes available at Specialized Warsaw are Levos. Very expensive and the wrong area of the country.

Now that I ride The Bike, I can see how weak rider I am. Yet, it is so much fun to ride it, and I can just take the bike in my hand and walk out for a ride (I actually am on a ride right now!)

I've just been comparing my ride experience to heavy but fast Lovelec on the same route. It seemed it was taking ages to get where I am now (despite of the e-bike speed). The SL gives the impression you travel faster, even if it is slower. The ride time is about the same within 2 minute tolerance.

Right. I even didn't think of it a month ago... Good that a demo ride was possible! From what I can see now, the only e-bikes available at Specialized Warsaw are Levos. Very expensive and the wrong area of the country.

Now that I ride The Bike, I can see how weak rider I am. Yet, it is so much fun to ride it, and I can just take the bike in my hand and walk out for a ride (I actually am on a ride right now!)

I've just been comparing my ride experience to heavy but fast Lovelec on the same route. It seemed it was taking ages to get where I am now (despite of the e-bike speed). The SL gives the impression you travel faster, even if it is slower. The ride time is about the same within 2 minute tolerance.
2 minutes over what distance? Flat and calm ?

2 minutes over what distance? Flat and calm ?
5 miles. Flat with one overpass and a single tunnel. Weak headwind. If that were a smooth straight road, it could have been different. Here, it is bike paths and small town traffic that really limit your local rides.

That Priceless Feeling When You Are About To Negotiate The Stairs of An Underground Railroad Passage At A Train Station, And You Need Not To Worry About The Lift

FB_IMG_1624902372805.jpg

😃

What interests me is that in about a year of riding you are in good enough shape to buy the SL ... that you didn't even think you could ride a year ago. Pretty quick progress, I say.
There's alot of misunderstanding when it comes to how fit you get on an ebike . I didn't need one. I bought it so I can go 50 miles in the time it takes me to go 25 on a generic bike . My cardiologist told me that climbing a hill regardless of your age. That's so steep you are losing a steady pace . Is terrible for you vascular system. I'm speaking about those climbs where you put in so much effort that near the end your front wheel isn't staying completely straight .
Kinda like the guy who works out vs the Guy who Body Builds . Your body wasn't meant to work so hard you're popping veins .
My insurance carrier must agree. I get more health credit for spending 2 hrs on an E-bike vs a Generic . Plus I notice I haven't lost any stamina doing group rides using my Generic Bike due to riding an E-bike . Just because it's easier doesn't mean you aren't getting the same benefit . And often more .

There's alot of misunderstanding when it comes to how fit you get on an ebike . I didn't need one. I bought it so I can go 50 miles in the time it takes me to go 25 on a generic bike . My cardiologist told me that climbing a hill regardless of your age. That's so steep you are losing a steady pace . Is terrible for you vascular system. I'm speaking about those climbs where you put in so much effort that near the end your front wheel isn't staying completely straight .
Kinda like the guy who works out vs the Guy who Body Builds . Your body wasn't meant to work so hard you're popping veins .
My insurance carrier must agree. I get more health credit for spending 2 hrs on an E-bike vs a Generic . Plus I notice I haven't lost any stamina doing group rides using my Generic Bike due to riding an E-bike . Just because it's easier doesn't mean you aren't getting the same benefit . And often more .
Well, I might be popping a vein or two on some of our hills but I can definitely say the using an ebike in Seattle requires work. It is pedal-assist and if I don't pedal it is not going anywhere.

Am I Captain Obvious?
@rochrunner?

I am short at just 5"5" tall, so I got the small frame size on my Vado 3. However, even with the small frame, it can still be a challenge getting on and off, and I am unable to use a trunk bag as I will hit it trying to mount and dismount. I usually use a curb or lean the bike a bit to the side, but as already noted here by others, the bike is a bit heavy and you need to be sure you have solid footing before trying it so you don't lose your balance and fall on the ground with your expensive e-bike. That almost happened to me when I first tried to get on my bike, so I learned that lesson right away. :rolleyes: I am lucky though, because although I am older (63) and overweight, I have full range of motion in both of my legs. I will give your method a try, so thanks for the tip and thanks for the taking the time to make this video.

And by the way, your new SL looks great. I hope you have a long and happy experience with it! 👍

For me, I just wasn't riding my regular bike, so the e-bike was a motivator to get out and get exercise - and it has been. I now look forward to riding all around my little town early in the mornings on both Saturday and Sunday. Going early means it is still cool and there is very little traffic on the roads. To ensure I am getting a workout and not just letting the bike do all the work I try to maintain a steady 14mph (virtually all flat where I live in California's central valley) and I keep the bike in Eco, only using Sport when I am crossing the two busy highways that run through town (I cross each one twice). I don't use the traffic lights to stop traffic as I either go with traffic if there are cars going the same way I am or, if there is no traffic going my way, I just wait until it is safe and then shoot across. I then immediately drop it back to Eco once across and continue on my way. I do this regardless of the wind speed and direction because I want to build my strength and endurance. In fact, I have only ridden my bike in Turbo a couple times, and that was just to see how fast I could go with it.

For me, I just wasn't riding my regular bike, so the e-bike was a motivator to get out and get exercise - and it has been. I now look forward to riding all around my little town early in the mornings on both Saturday and Sunday. Going early means it is still cool and there is very little traffic on the roads. To ensure I am getting a workout and not just letting the bike do all the work I try to maintain a steady 14mph (virtually all flat where I live in California's central valley) and I keep the bike in Eco, only using Sport when I am crossing the two busy highways that run through town (I cross each one twice). I don't use the traffic lights to stop traffic as I either go with traffic if there are cars going the same way I am or, if there is no traffic going my way, I just wait until it is safe and then shoot across. I then immediately drop it back to Eco once across and continue on my way. I do this regardless of the wind speed and direction because I want to build my strength and endurance. In fact, I have only ridden my bike in Turbo a couple times, and that was just to see how fast I could go with it.
Since my legs are bad, I use 45% Eco for regular riding, 60% Sport for countering headwind, and 100% Turbo for uphill rides. (Halve these figures and you will see the equivalent assistance for full-power Vado 5.0).

It is interesting how the European 25 km/h (15.5 mph) speed limiter works (it is programmed brilliantly!) I observe my own and the motor power side by side in BLEvo. Upon reaching 25 km/h, the motor assistance gradually drops as you are riding past the limit: less and less power is delivered by the motor. At some 27 km/h, the assistance drops to zero, and the motor stops whirring. I have determined that the crank gets disconnected from the motor 100% when the motor doesn't work! My brother carefully analysed what happened to Giant/Yamaha SyncDrive Pro/PW-X2 motor in a similar situation: even if the motor is completely off, there is still a low hum from the motor area, indicating you are pedalling through motor gears. While there is no noise at all when the SL motor doesn't work. That confirms SL e-bikes can be ridden as regular bikes with no assistance.

25 km/h speed limit is low. It means that any European or Australian rider should fine tune their Assistance Levels to ride just at 25 km/h to get continuous motor assistance unless they want to pedal on own leg power only. In each case, use of energy from the battery is economical.

With 45% Assistance and 25 km/h limiter, 1 percent of battery is used for each 1 km ridden. Given the last 5% of the battery is unusable that gives the main battery range of 95 km. With the Range Extender, that would be 140 km, which is an impressive figure.

I wonder what would happen if I derestrict my SL. Perhaps buying a second Range Extender would be necessary? (Good REs are not that expensive as the large removable Vado/Como batteries!)

I meant "Good that Range Extenders are not..."
At the moment like much bike related items, they are hard to come by the USA. I've been on a few "email when stock is in" lists and have not heard anything. I did luckily acquire one about three months ago but drove about 40 miles to get it.

At the moment like much bike related items, they are hard to come by the USA. I've been on a few "email when stock is in" lists and have not heard anything. I did luckily acquire one about three months ago but drove about 40 miles to get it.
I have a lot of work to do to get in shape, but my long-term goal is to go on progressively longer rides as my strength and endurance build. Not bike touring or bike camping, but long enough rides that I would need a range extender, especially if I start riding in the Sierra foothills. I have the Vado 3 so it has the 460 battery, not the 604. However, that is still a ways off as I am just getting started. And, because I am still working, I can only ride on the weekend or when on vacation. And, I find that I am developing numbness in my hands at about 8 miles, so perhaps a Como-style neck and handlebar will be my first modifications. But, like everything else, there is nothing available right now.

Fitness Ride, or Joy of Low Speed Cycling

Tuesday saw me on a fitness ride in near neighbourhood. The area was almost empty of people or vehicles, as everybody watched England-Germany soccer match of UEFA Euro 2020 Championships. It was hot (30 C).

1625053422689.png

I could find new places I've never been to before, such as a small park with electronically controlled "fun-fountain." Also notice Selle Royal eZone saddle I dug from my lumber-box ;)

1625053660161.png

Near to the ride end, I discovered I rode unpowered for a quarter of my riding time! That was because of two different effects:
  • Riding unpowered intentionally. If you are already at speed and switch the assistance OFF, even a weak rider (as I am) can maintain constant speed unpowered, especially with tailwind.
  • If you get at the EU 25 km/h speed limit and try to ride past the limiter, the SL motor stops and disengages from the drivetrain. Such riding is recorded as "unpowered".
So: A quarter of my ride time was unpowered. My contribution rose to 65%, average leg power reached 100 W (average of pedalling and coasting!) 600 kcal burned at distance of 33 km (20 miles). Not bad as for 1 h 50 minutes ride, isn't it.

1625054075085.png

Wednesday morning: Swapped stock tyres with Schwalbe Smart Sam 37-622. I need to be able to ride on forest paths, too!

So: A quarter of my ride time was unpowered. My contribution rose to 65%, average leg power reached 100 W (average of pedalling and coasting!) 600 kcal burned at distance of 33 km (20 miles). Not bad as for 1 h 50 minutes ride, isn't it.

View attachment 91821
Wednesday morning: Swapped stock tyres with Schwalbe Smart Sam 37-622. I need to be able to ride on forest paths, too!
Yes, I was surprised how much of the ride was your own effort and also the small amount of battery usage. Was this using the main battery only or do you have a RE installed?

I'd also be interested in your impressions of those tires. If I have to get the EQ model, I'll want to change the tires soon to be better for unpaved surfaces. The Schwalbe tires look almost "too aggressive" to me and I'm wondering how they are on pavement with only a very narrow center ridge. And are they noisy on pavement? The Specialized Trigger tires of the non-EQ SL might be better suited to my riding.

Yes, I was surprised how much of the ride was your own effort and also the small amount of battery usage. Was this using the main battery only or do you have a RE installed?
Yes, main battery only, and the RE left at home. No point to carry the burden you don't need. Honestly, if I lived in, say, Southern California, I would have chosen the non-EQ version for sure for even more light weight.

It is an amazing bike, Doug.

I'd also be interested in your impressions of those tires. If I have to get the EQ model, I'll want to change the tires soon to be better for unpaved surfaces.
Mine came with Nimbus tyres. They are very good if you ask me, because I could even ride on them through a muddy forest path full of puddles. Gravel? Nimbus tyres are OK with that!

The choice of Smart Sams is my personal preference. These tyres are very special. The narrow central part of the tread is formed as a stripe made of very hard rubber. When you ride on a paved surface, only that part touches the ground, making the ride totally silent, and the rolling resistance is low. When you are cornering, the side knobs made of different (soft) rubber start working, increasing traction. In soft terrain (mud, shallow sand), entire tread starts working.

Here is my video demonstrating the sound of Smart Sams on pavement:

As far as I know, many traditional cyclists are very happy with Smart Sams; it is probably one of the best selling Schwalbe tyre models. These are not very expensive either.

What app is that ?
The data have been gathered by BLEvo, an Android and iOS app for Specialized Turbo e-bikes. A shiznit, albeit with poor interface. BLEvo has also exported the ride to Strava. The map was made in Mapy.cz, an excellent free Android & iOS bike route planner and GPS navigation map. I imported a Strava GPX to Mapy.cz, then inserted BLEvo data screens, making a collage.

Am I Captain Obvious?
@rochrunner?

Stephan very impressive : However most of these guys aren't going to be able to do this . Lets face it you're in much better shape then the average forum member . You can probably do the Swing over as well . I tried what you show in the video . I can do it , but swinging My leg over the seat is at least for me easier . Do you ever get your heal hooked on the cross bar ? My guess as a kid in Gym Class you were good at the High Hurdles ')

Back