Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

What do the two assist levels mean? I don’t have a bike to experiment with yet but the Specialized site just gives the default percentages of assist as one number per mode. Can someone explain the two, as in Eco = 35/50 …
A number of other threads with detailed info, but basically the first number is the percentage of assist (vs the max assist level) and the next is the max power compared to the max power of the bike. So in that case you would have 35% of the max assist level (depending on rider input) but the power would top out at 50% of the max power of the bike.

As I said, search around for a more detailed description with example computations.

What do the two assist levels mean? I don’t have a bike to experiment with yet but the Specialized site just gives the default percentages of assist as one number per mode. Can someone explain the two, as in Eco = 35/50 …
In other worlds 35% of the available power up to 50 complete turns of the crank by your pedal power per minute . On a class 1 any % of assistance falls off drastically above that Candance : Definitely at 60 : Cadence in case you don't know is the number of complete revolutions you can do on a pedal per minute . Like a clock from 12 back to 12 . With class 3 you would have assistance closer to the 60 and a larger percentage as assistance goes up . If you can get a class 3 get one . You probably won't use or need the extra 70% of the time. But when you do you'll be glad you have it

First number is how much power you’ll get for each watt you output. In the 35/50 example 1 rider watt is matched with 0.35 watts from the motor.
I don't think that's correct since that would mean that the most assistance you could get at 100% would be1 watt from the motor per 1 watt by the rider. The Vado does a lot better than that -- about "4 x You" as they say with the SL about half that.

Vado SL and Assistance Levels

Vado SL is very different to its older brother, Vado. Because of its low weight and low power motor, it does not like headwind or uphill rides (because it is indeed more a bike than an e-bike). Of course, riding in adverse conditions requires using more of assistance. I have found a motor setting making Vado SL even more natural and not requiring frequent assistance level changes:

If you ride at, say, 35% of Support and 35% of Max Motor Power, you'll notice even a small incline makes riding the SL harder. I have set the Eco level to 35/70%. Suddenly, my Bike became very very natural and easy to ride. It's because you naturally start pedalling harder on small inclines. Now, the leg power amplification stays the same (35%) but the motor is allowed to use more juice when it is needed. Practical outcome: Easy and natural ride, still low battery consumption.
I gave your settings a try. I will probably give it another ride or two to decide but in the mean time, you will notice the name I have it in Mission Control's Presets:
Screenshot_20210703-141725-.png

I don't think that's correct since that would mean that the most assistance you could get at 100% would be1 watt from the motor per 1 watt by the rider. The Vado does a lot better than that -- about "4 x You" as they say with the SL about half that.
I agree that the SL is not 1 for 1 match to rider power. The SL is advertised as 1.8 x you. So for 100 W of rider power, the assistance at 100/100 settings would be 180 W. The 180 W is mechanical power and Blevo or Mission control would display the electrical power required by the motor. The motor/electrical efficiency probably varies alot thru cadence and power spectrum. For settings of say 33assist/33peak power, 100 W rider power would result in 100*1.8*.33=60 W of mechanical assist. That is less than the 80W (33% peak power of 240 W max) so all is well. Like Stefan says, when rider power goes up, the peak power setting becomes more important. @ 300 W rider power, 300*1.8*33=180 W. With peak power level of 33%, the motor assist is limited to 80 W.

While I find the 1.8 x rider power seems to roughly hold for my "normal" range of eco/sport settings, I find that 100/100 turbo does seem to be almost binary. Usually Mission Control or Blevo will display 300 W motor power (electrical) when in turbo mode, even when rider power is 100 W or less. 100 W x 1.8 *100% implies only 180 W mechanical assist. Is it because efficiency drops so low or something else? I can be significantly below 100 W as well and still be seeing 300 W report on motor power. It definitely feels like more power assist than it should for these lower rider power levels.

Last edited:
I don't think that's correct since that would mean that the most assistance you could get at 100% would be1 watt from the motor per 1 watt by the rider.
There’s nothing wrong with that, but you’re right. I’m wrong. I found the Mission Control manual PDF. It includes a table showing how much rider effort is matched by the bike.

At 100%, Turbo, 100 watts of rider power gets 200 watts of bike power. Fifty percent is a “1x multiplier.” Thirty percent is a 0.6x multiplier, which I find confusing. “Additive” is a better word. Total power at 30% would be 1.6x rider power.

From the manual: Mission control support setting defines the multiplier factor the engine use as to Rider Effort input. (100% = 2 for SL 1.1).

Last edited:
Rincon, would you please add a link to the mission control pdf you found that gave you the table of power contribution? The docs I found give different info and what you found doesn’t make mathematical sense to me. For instance, specialized says the Vado sl and creo are “2 of you”. To me, that means the bike will add power necessary to double the riders input (assuming the support level is set to 100%). If the rider supplies 100 watts then ‘two of him’ would be 200 watts. To get that, the motor needs to supply 100 watts. If what you read is true and the motor adds 200 watts to the riders 100, that makes 300w, which is “three of you” for the bike (2x for the motor, giving the bike 3x) it seems like they would advertise it this way and the faqs and limited docs I found indicate what I described above. Please link to the pdf you found, I’m interested in understanding just how the system works.
thanks!

To me, that means the bike will add power necessary to double the riders input (assuming the support level is set to 100%). If the rider supplies 100 watts then ‘two of him’ would be 200 watts.
That’s what I thought. 1:1 watts at 100%. Makes sense to me. Others in this forum thought otherwise. The documentation explicitly states the otherwise view. I also find it confusing.

I’m going to Google for you and see if I can find the documentation. I have a copy, but not the original link. The forum won’t allow me to include a pdf.

Please link to the pdf you found, I’m interested in understanding just how the system works.
Looks like the PDF I have was updated for the new TCU and the table is gone. Here’s a screen capture of part of the table. Follow Mode 19 across. It is 100/100 showing a 1:2 rider to motor ratio.

3ABC9678-0CBD-438F-B707-756AA808D05F.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the explanation of @Nubnub, as it is exactly what I'm thinking. Most of you understand these matters very well.

If 1.8x is actually the 100% assistance, and 240 W is the actual 100% max mechanical power, everything is easy to understand. I gave my Vado SL a test of maxing the motor out and taking the readout from BLEvo:
  • 303 W was the max power drawn from the battery
  • 240 W is the rated peak power of the SL 1.1 motor
  • 240/303 = 0.79, or 79% efficiency.
The efficiency figure makes a lot of sense to me, as similar measurement gave 78% efficiency for my 1.2s motor equipped "heavy" Vado. (The efficiency at max power can be lower that it is anywhere else on the motor's performance curve).

I like the explanation of @Nubnub, as it is exactly what I'm thinking. Most of you understand these matters very well.

If 1.8x is actually the 100% assistance, and 240 W is the actual 100% max mechanical power, everything is easy to understand. I gave my Vado SL a test of maxing the motor out and taking the readout from BLEvo:
  • 303 W was the max power drawn from the battery
  • 240 W is the rated peak power of the SL 1.1 motor
  • 240/303 = 0.79, or 79% efficiency.
The efficiency figure makes a lot of sense to me, as similar measurement gave 78% efficiency for my 1.2s motor equipped "heavy" Vado. (The efficiency at max power can be lower that it is anywhere else on the motor's performance curve).
Couldn't resist... :)

When I purchased my 4.0 SL last year, Specialized's website and docs advertised the 1.1 motor assist as 1.8 times you. I noticed the updated website does now indicate 2 times you. I wonder if this is a real change or just marketing rounding/enhancing or possibly a result of the motor firmware updates? So I set my Turbo mode to 100 assist/ 35 peak power. I speculated that if the motor assist was 2x then a biker power of 120 would max out the motor assist @ 84 W mechanical. If the motor assist was 1.8 x then a biker power of about 133 W would max out the assist. Results were inconclusive ;). As expected the Blevo motor assist display maxed out at around 120-124 W implying around 84/120 = 70% efficiency. This was true for cadence ranges from 70 to the 90's. It was also true for biker power displayed from less than 100 W to > 133 W.

Another thread in another forum for the Levo motor about understanding support vs peak power in Mission Control has some interesting input from specialized rider care. I think the TLDR takeaway from all this was summarized by someone there as lower assist if you want more exercise and/or more range. Lower peak power if you want less fun :) and/or more range. Thread is at: https://www.emtbforums.com/communit...-in-mission-control-app-v2-0.4038/#post-65562

I noticed the updated website does now indicate 2 times you. I wonder if this is a real change or just marketing rounding/enhancing or possibly a result of the motor firmware updates?
I'm sure that's only marketing talk. Same, full power Vado certainly is not "4x You" even for the strongest 1.3 motor (it is 380%).

I picked up my Vado 4 SL last Friday and wanted to share my impressions of the bike. I'm an avid cyclist and relatively fit at 5'10" and 145lbs. I'm pretty much a solo rider with few group rides. The exercise part of riding is something I enjoy but really - I just love riding bikes anywhere and everywhere and spend a lot of time doing it.

I have to start by saying the Vado Sl should come with a disclaimer that it's Cyclist Crack - like the drug. Because ever since I test rode the bike in a parking lot - I've had a huge eBike smile (tm) on my face. This bike is absolutely incredible in every way. The riding experience is like you have the wind at your back or maybe going downhill a bit even when you're going up. It's everything that's fun about biking without having to stand up and pound the pedals on every up-hill. But that's the crazy part. I still work - plenty. My heart rate goes up and I expend great amounts of effort if I want to. After I finish a ride I still feel rewarded regarding cardio. I just feel exhilarated but not spent. Hard to describe. And switching between the support levels is seamless. Yeah, I motor up the hills in turbo but I might feel like sweating and go eco. And the bit of extra weight of the motor and battery actually give the bike a nice strong feel to the ride. I'm comfortable going down big hills at higher speeds on this bike then say my 23mm tire, racing bike.

And I'll keep going. I think it's incredible that Specialized (according the LBS) has a 4 year warranty on the motor without regard to mileage. And I know Specialized will back it up and be there.

Lot's of other little things. Brakes are super. Haven't missed a shift. Motor quiet with just a bit of whir to know it's working. This bike is fun but challenges me. And there's no mode on the bike that is so powerful and fast that it doesn't feel like a bike. And that's exactly it. In the end - it's a bike. I tried some of the higher torque bikes and just didn't feel true to cycling. And I need that.

Finally, I think it's a bargain at $3600USD. Aluminum feels light and responsive. Beautiful frame and paint too IMO. I'm able to take 3 water bottles or an extra battery. It's only 30 something pounds and can be easily car-racked. The lights are awesome too! I mean - the thing has a computer in it. It talks to my phone. It has a power meter. It can go over 50 miles on a charge. It's just the absolute greatest idea and execution. Bravo Specialized!!

Finally - back to CRACK. Sometimes I'm riding and I'll be in ECO - huffing and puffing and feeling good. But then I see the approaching hill. Yeah - I can make it but keep looking over at the mode switch and a little voice inside my head is like - 'You know you want it. Just a press of the button and your legs will feel that slight push of the motor and invigoration... must resist. :)'. But it's all awesome and I feel 20 again and run it right up the hill with a huge grin. And then - oh yeah, another road I never went down because the pavement was rough or too many hills. With my Vado SL - I can go anywhere. And maybe that's the real beauty of this engineering marvel.

It's charged again. Here we go.

Last edited:
Great writeup, @BioWheel ! I'm currently holding for a SL 5.0 to arrive but have been riding a regular Vado 4.0 since early last year. The SL was attractive to me because the regular Vado feels overpowered at times and I'm more in your boat for riding level and fitness. Now you're making it even harder for me to keep waiting! 😏

I picked up my Vado 4 SL last Friday and wanted to share my impressions of the bike. I'm an avid cyclist and relatively fit at 5'10" and 145lbs. I'm pretty much a solo rider with few group rides. The exercise part of riding is something I enjoy but really - I just love riding bikes anywhere and everywhere and spend a lot of time doing it.

I have to start by saying the Vado Sl should come with a disclaimer that it's Cyclist Crack - like the drug. Because ever since I test rode the bike in a parking lot - I've had a huge eBike smile (tm) on my face. This bike is absolutely incredible in every way. The riding experience is like you have the wind at your back or maybe going downhill a bit even when you're going up. It's everything that's fun about biking without having to stand up and pound the pedals on every up-hill. But that's the crazy part. I still work - plenty. My heart rate goes up and I expend great amounts of effort if I want to. After I finish a ride I still feel rewarded regarding cardio. I just feel exhilarated but not spent. Hard to describe. And switching between the support levels is seamless. Yeah, I motor up the hills in turbo but I might feel like sweating and go eco. And the bit of extra weight of the motor and battery actually give the bike a nice strong feel to the ride. I'm comfortable going down big hills at higher speeds on this bike then say my 23mm tire, racing bike.

And I'll keep going. I think it's incredible that Specialized (according the LBS) has a 4 year warranty on the motor without regard to mileage. And I know Specialized will back it up and be there.

Lot's of other little things. Brakes are super. Haven't missed a shift. Motor quiet with just a bit of whir to know it's working. This bike is fun but challenges me. And there's no mode on the bike that is so powerful and fast that it doesn't feel like a bike. And that's exactly it. In the end - it's a bike. I tried some of the higher torque bikes and just didn't feel true to cycling. And I need that.

Finally, I think it's a bargain at $3600USD. Aluminum feels light and responsive. Beautiful frame and paint too IMO. I'm able to take 3 water bottles or an extra battery. It's only 30 something pounds and can be easily car-racked. The lights are awesome too! I mean - the thing has a computer in it. It talks to my phone. It can go over 50 miles on a charge. It's just the absolute greatest idea and execution. Bravo Specialized!!

Finally - back to CRACK. Sometimes I'm riding and I'll be in ECO - huffing and puffing and feeling good. But then I see the approaching hill. Yeah - I can make it but keep looking over at the mode switch and a little voice inside my head is like - 'You know you want it. Just a press of the button and your legs will feel that slight push of the motor and invigoration... must resist. :)'. But it's all awesome and I feel 20 again and run it right up the hill with a huge grin. And then - oh yeah, another road I never went down because the pavement was rough or too many hills. With my Vado SL - I can go anywhere. And maybe that's the real beauty of this engineering marvel.

It's charged again. Here we go.
Excellent review!

You see, @BioWheel, I'm not (and won't be) a fit person. I'm an ailing person. After a metric century on a hot day, and with 40% of off-road ride on the SL, I'm spent. Yet, Vado SL is such a wonderful e-bike I would be riding it tomorrow again!

Your observations are so true... I can hardly believe Specialized could design such an excellent e-bike and -- in addition -- set a reasonable price on it!

Friends,
I need to say something.

I love my full power, 45 km/h Vado, too. Because it never lets me down; and I can zoom on long trips with my young and strong friends. It can also haul quite big cargo, so I can supply the whole riding group with tools and drinking water on our trips. It is amazing when I actually accelerate uphill with the big Vado.

Vado SL is very different. It makes you a regular cyclist. You'll never feel a Superman while riding the SL. Roadies will always take you (or, me) over. But that weakness, that imperfection of the SL is its beauty. Because you are a cyclist riding a bike, and you cannot do everything you want but rather everything you can with Vado SL.

Yes, I needed to walk the SL up a difficult single-track climb; Walk Mode works perfectly. I could ride up a steep sand dune (with solid undergrowth) in Turbo mode on the SL. With some effort. The point is: I love it. Because I know I am not a superhuman but I love to feel as a cyclist, not a motorcyclist. Vado SL has enabled me to become a cyclist again.

And I love it.

Last edited:
Back