Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

It's OK @rochrunner. We are shooting the video anyway. And 9:00 CET is the only time available to me and Jacek.

Regarding my spoken English, I speak the language easily in case I have at least a single English speaker as my audience (face to face or on the other end of the line). My English dries up whenever I have to speak to a camera though.

I'm not interested with the air fryer: French fries are not my favourite meal. My more direct issue is that having lost my house to the fire, I have no space to store N+1 e-bikes. My Trance E+ is with my brother; he also keeps my Lovelec in the storage as a guest e-bike. My "big" Vado lives inside my car. And I keep Vado SL in my social care flat I live in.

The First Metric Century With My Vado SL

Some stats:
  • 106.5 km (66 mi) ridden in 5 hours 10 minutes net, giving average speed of 20.6 km/h (12.8 mph); my Vado SL is limited to 25 km/h. I could reach 31 km/h on my own leg power on the flat.
  • Average assistance: 57%
  • 134% of combined batteries consumed.
  • Energy consumption: 3.92 Wh/km (6.3 Wh/mi)
  • My own contribution with pedalling: 53%
I was producing far higher leg power than it was on more powerful e-bikes, and I got as sweaty as never before. Now, I feel mental pain to return riding full power e-bikes!

Note: @Rás Cnoic is right. You need to swap the 44T chainring with the 38T for riding in hilly area!
Metric century while nipping out for a biscuit! That's a fantastic start. Pretty clear that even if you feel you weren't working hard on the big brother powerful Vado, you were actually laying down a great foundation. All those long rides, all those hours of spinning, hours of your leg muscles getting into shape through frequent use, all adds up and allows you now to have honest to goodness fast sweaty fun on the SL! Now just give up the fags and you'll be unstoppable ;)

Am I Captain Obvious?
@rochrunner?
No, and thanks for posting this. I have mounted my bikes like that on occasion but found the dismount awkward at best. Even leaning the bike requires you to sort of hop out to the side. It also depends on the actual height of the top bar since frame designs differ as to the slope of the top bar -- not sure if the Vado SL is lower than typical or about average.

As for the gearing discussion, one attraction to me for the 5.0 is the 11-50 cassette that would give me a 44-50 lowest gear: quite sufficient for anything I'll encounter even with assistance off! Since I'm a hill-climbing wimp (don't enjoy suffering like serious "roadies" seem to do) my carbon road bike has a 46/30 crankset as opposed to the common 50/34. With my 11-34 cassette I again have a very favorable 30-34 lowest gear, which allowed me to make it up the steep hills on a group bike tour a couple years ago that had some of the older participants walking their bikes or calling in the support van! The downside is that the bike will "spin out" at 46-11 on the steeper downhills, but I really have no business going 30+ while wearing typical summer riding kit!

That's still the way I do it (and I do use SPD cleats), but will admit that it's not real comfortable on the Vado 4 since I do sometimes hit the trunk bag with my foot (due to the longer wheelbase?) and have worried about losing my balance and falling, which seems more likely on such a heavy bike. Thus the plan to get the step-thru SL.
Am I Captain Obvious?
@rochrunner?

Bravo! I’m going out in a little while and will try it. I can swing my leg over the seat, even with a trunk bag, though I have to tilt the bike a bit to do that. But it’s not easy and as I get older it may get harder. So time to practice what may be an easier way.

Thanks for being obvious.

Am I Captain Obvious?
Ok Captain, tell us the secret, what size of frame are you on? Mine is L, top tube is 815mm by the specifications. I wasn’t born an egret or a crane so I can’t get that high. I don’t have the bike yet so I can’t try. I do have a 70 cm high dresser, and my wife caught me trying to hoist my leg over the top. Wasn’t one of my more graceful moves.

My last bike had a fairly high seat, which I had no problems with mounting. The basket was higher than the seat though and sometimes after a ride I didn’t have the energy or coordination or whatever it takes to dismount over the basket. So I don’t think I’ll be putting a basket on this - a single left side mounted pannier style cargo bag should be fine.

Sometimes I think I bought too big of a frame, but the tube just matches my inseam length and is about an inch below my package so I guess it will be OK. I tested the frame with flat driving shoes on , I’ll be wearing tactical boots for riding, which have almost a 20mm higher sole.

There’s also the trick of lowering the bike height relatively by standing on a high square curb but some ppl don’t have that readily available perhaps.

Ok Captain, tell us the secret, what size of frame are you on? Mine is L, top tube is 815mm by the specifications. I wasn’t born an egret or a crane so I can’t get that high. I don’t have the bike yet so I can’t try. I do have a 70 cm high dresser, and my wife caught me trying to hoist my leg over the top. Wasn’t one of my more graceful moves.

My last bike had a fairly high seat, which I had no problems with mounting. The basket was higher than the seat though and sometimes after a ride I didn’t have the energy or coordination or whatever it takes to dismount over the basket. So I don’t think I’ll be putting a basket on this - a single left side mounted pannier style cargo bag should be fine.

Sometimes I think I bought too big of a frame, but the tube just matches my inseam length and is about an inch below my package so I guess it will be OK. I tested the frame with flat driving shoes on , I’ll be wearing tactical boots for riding, which have almost a 20mm higher sole.

There’s also the trick of lowering the bike height relatively by standing on a high square curb but some ppl don’t have that readily available perhaps.
I've use the curb or similar height difference. But for a few months. I used my oak tree (I've got ten planted in the parking strip). I would wheel the bike over to it and use it as support to mount. Out in the field (as it were), I would find lampposts or fences or similar to dismount and mount. For some reason, I became a bit more limber in the last year and stopped needing the external support. But I do still use care as I don't want to lose my balance. Also, as noted, replacing the rear luggage on a rack with a hanging and therefore, lower pannier has removed that obstacle or interference.

In the olden days when road bikes all had horizontal top tubes, the way to measure frame size was to straddle the bike flat-footed on the ground. If the top tube just barely cleared your crotch it was considered to be your size. Newer designs with the sloping top tubes shot down that "fitting" method.

For comparisons of "standover height" (basically the height you'd be stepping over) here are the specs for the Large size:
Vado 833mm
Vado SL 815mm
Vado SL ST 655mm

My current Crosstrail hybrid is close to the SL in standover, so I'll give Stefan's technique a try the next time I take it out. But the ST is still the more attractive, especially since I can't be sure what lies ahead physically as I continue to age.

Ok Captain, tell us the secret, what size of frame are you on?
Mine is size M.

Our group had a 140 km ride today. On that occasion, Jacek let Justyna ride our Trance E+ size M. Justyna is not a short person (she could ride my full Vado without changing the seat height), and she used the dropper post on Trance E+. She normally rides quite a big XC bike with straight top tube. She could not mount Trance E+. I described my technique to her, and she suddenly could ride the e-MTB!

Last edited:
But the ST is still the more attractive, especially since I can't be sure what lies ahead physically as I continue to age.

I wasn’t aware of the ST design until after I had bought my bike, but sadly it’s not offered in Japan anyway. Perhaps eventually the next bike would be like that. In the meantime now, my job is to see if I can accumulate enough miles to wear out this Vado SL.

Oddly my last bike had a similar frame to the ST and I had problems doing the step-through on it. I could easily mount the bike with the basket, dismounting, especially with groceries onboard or after a long ride, was the real issue.

Attachments

• FD7254CF-213D-409D-A390-8BB43C8C70BA.jpeg
    FD7254CF-213D-409D-A390-8BB43C8C70BA.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 194
I wasn’t aware of the ST design until after I had bought my bike, but sadly it’s not offered in Japan anyway.
Vado and Como SL ST models will be available in Europe only in the coming December. It shouldn't be different for Japan.

I liked the diamond frame of my Vado SL as it is pretty small, and I can use the space in the front triangle for many purposes (you cannot do that with an ST).

when you say more than 100% of combined batteries consumed do you mean you recharged mid ride?
I mean using the Range Extender, a 160 Wh battery in the shape of water-bottle. Main battery (320 Wh, or 100%) and the RE (160W, or 50%) give 150% at the ride start. The best scenario is setting "discharge both batteries at the same rate". It is hard to get that "150%" is actually your "total 100%" when you make range considerations. BLEvo app with its excellent Range Estimate helps a lot!

retty clear that even if you feel you weren't working hard on the big brother powerful Vado, you were actually laying down a great foundation. All those long rides, all those hours of spinning, hours of your leg muscles getting into shape through frequent use, all adds up and allows you now to have honest to goodness fast sweaty fun on the SL!
How true Ras! If I bought an SL as the first e-bike, I would be greatly disappointed. (Similarly to one elderly EBR Forum poster who spent all his savings to buy an SL, and to discover the bike didn't satisfy his needs, especially regarding the e-bike's power).

Riding thousands of kilometres on full power Euro e-bikes gave me endurance, strength, confidence and experience. Now, I'm riding my SL as a person fully aware why I have chosen Vado SL as my fourth e-bike to become my everyday ride! I'm aware of its strong and weak points. The short SL experience (a single metric century so far) made me work harder on the full power Vado as well. Sunday's long group ride proved I contributed with 5 percentage points more, that is, with 19% progress. Unbelievable?

How true Ras! If I bought an SL as the first e-bike, I would be greatly disappointed. (Similarly to one elderly EBR Forum poster who spent all his savings to buy an SL, and to discover the bike didn't satisfy his needs, especially regarding the e-bike's power).

Riding thousands of kilometres on full power Euro e-bikes gave me endurance, strength, confidence and experience. Now, I'm riding my SL as a person fully aware why I have chosen Vado SL as my fourth e-bike to become my everyday ride! I'm aware of its strong and weak points. The short SL experience (a single metric century so far) made me work harder on the full power Vado as well. Sunday's long group ride proved I contributed with 5 percentage points more, that is, with 19% progress. Unbelievable?
Believable! Knowing what to expect from an ebike is one of the biggest challenges when purchasing your first one.

There are so many threads about the test rides vs. brands and models available to test vs. Internet bikes that can’t be tested. It’s why EBR is such a valuable resource. It’s the forums and folks who contribute as you do that help us understand our options and narrow our range of choices so a test ride can be worthwhile.

What interests me is that in about a year of riding you are in good enough shape to buy the SL ... that you didn't even think you could ride a year ago. Pretty quick progress, I say.

Back