Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

I wish I lived closer to you. The SL system is the same for Vado SL or Creo. My brother riding a LEV ANT+ capable Giant e-bike and using the 530 only connects the E-Bike Sensor to get all the parameters!
You do know that planes still come to Sea-Tac Airport. That way you visit and then leave when the daily rain strikes!

I heard the Specialized Turbo Vado SL rides and handles like a regular bike, but with the added power of the motor, it's motor is nearly silent, and provides enough power to make riding up hills a breeze.
I've got the Creo and while the motor makes some hills trivial, there are still HILLS that require quite the expenditure of effort but less effort that no motor assist. And there are one or two hills I've decided not to tackle for fear that the motor might cut out or even possibly be damaged.

Actually, there might be a fourth option: choose a different route. :)
Come on BEC. Sometimes there is no "different route". There are areas where you absolutely need a full power, mountain-worthy e-bike.

1650586738120.png

I do not think Vado SL would be an appropriate e-bike for that ride.

Come on BEC. Sometimes there is no "different route". There are areas where you absolutely need a full power, mountain-worthy e-bike.

View attachment 120844
I do not think Vado SL would be an appropriate e-bike for that ride.

I agree, completely. Since I can only have one bike, I have to make believe the more challenging rides don’t exist. Yet another parameter of my e-bike quest a few years ago.

There are different opinions on that. The SL motor is audible. It is quiet for me, terribly noisy for other riders.

For a fit and strong rider, yes. Not for me and my bad legs. There is a 10% short hill in my larger neighbourhood, and I struggle over there. On the other hand, the user such @Rás Cnoic has replaced the chain-ring in his Vado SL with a 38T one, and is reportedly zooming over British hills :)

100% true.
I wouldn’t say ‘zooming’ over the hills Stefan, but certainly not stopping to admire the view half as much as I used to!

I've got the Creo and while the motor makes some hills trivial, there are still HILLS that require quite the expenditure of effort but less effort that no motor assist. And there are one or two hills I've decided not to tackle for fear that the motor might cut out or even possibly be damaged.
great point - while the motor makes some hills easier, there are still some that are tough to get up. And it's important to be careful with the motor, since it can be damaged if used too much.

I heard the Specialized Turbo Vado SL rides and handles like a regular bike, but with the added power of the motor, it's motor is nearly silent, and provides enough power to make riding up hills a breeze.

Definitely handles a lot like a regular flat-bar road bike, or fitness bike. Just a bit heavier. Very similar.

It is not silent. The Vado and Como are almost silent. The SL makes noise that nearly everyone tunes out a minute or so into riding. If you're riding in a city, you may barely even notice it. If you are riding on a nice, quiet path next to a wildlife sanctuary, it may annoy you.

Agree with others on the hills. It's a fitness e-bike. It can help most people climb 5-9% gradients without exhausting yourself. Most people. Get steeper than that, for a sustained period of time, and even in 1st gear you might find it just doesn't have enough power. If you are worried about that problem, just buy the Vado (not SL). It's a lot heavier, doesn't handle quite as well (but better than you think) and has noticeably more power. But it also lacks things the SL has. You really need to buy both. I think of the Vado is a bike to replace your car. The SL is an all-round bike. Fitness. Fun. Commuter. Gravel. You name it. Get on it, and ride anywhere, and have fun doing it. To me at least.

great point - while the motor makes some hills easier, there are still some that are tough to get up. And it's important to be careful with the motor, since it can be damaged if used too much.
I worked for quite a while in a tier 1 Specialized dealer bike shop. Believe me, you could ride the Vado SL in turbo mode uphill all day, and the motor isn't going to get damaged. I never saw, or heard of this, from anyone, anywhere. I haven't even heard of anyone living somewhere like Phoenix overheating one, though I suppose it's possible, let alone causing any damage.

I never saw, or heard of this, from anyone, anywhere. I haven't even heard of anyone living somewhere like Phoenix overheating one, though I suppose it's possible, let alone causing any damage.
There is a thermal protection system in place.

I worked for quite a while in a tier 1 Specialized dealer bike shop. Believe me, you could ride the Vado SL in turbo mode uphill all day, and the motor isn't going to get damaged. I never saw, or heard of this, from anyone, anywhere. I haven't even heard of anyone living somewhere like Phoenix overheating one, though I suppose it's possible, let alone causing any damage.
My question is what happens if the hill is too steep? I have the aluminum Creo and I weigh too much. I can press my legs quite a bit but eventually, if the hill is very steep, something has got to give (as they say). Will the motor just stop? And then I need to prepare for that or I could fall over.

My question is what happens if the hill is too steep? I have the aluminum Creo and I weigh too much. I can press my legs quite a bit but eventually, if the hill is very steep, something has got to give (as they say). Will the motor just stop? And then I need to prepare for that or I could fall over.

what will happen is you’ll go slower and slower, with the contribution of both the motor and your legs dropping in terms of absolute power (since the rotational speed is drifting towards nothing but torque isn’t increasing much) until you aren’t going fast enough to stay balanced, at which point you put a leg/foot down. motor will not be damaged.

your ego might be, or if you’re clipped in you might fall over and scrape your leg or derailleur a bit. ask me how i know 😂😂😂

what will happen is you’ll go slower and slower, with the contribution of both the motor and your legs dropping in terms of absolute power (since the rotational speed is drifting towards nothing but torque isn’t increasing much) until you aren’t going fast enough to stay balanced, at which point you put a leg/foot down. motor will not be damaged.

your ego might be, or if you’re clipped in you might fall over and scrape your leg or derailleur a bit. ask me how i know 😂😂😂
How do you know? o_O

The ego was extinguished quite some time ago. Although, all the mirrors at physical therapy are not helping in the least!

Back