Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

I have a new Vado Sl 4.0 step-through with the SRAM 11 speed. Compared to my non electric hybrid 3 x 8 with Shimano Deore, the shifting is noisier, a bit of a clunk when downshifting, but no grinding. I haven't had a chance to see if it is the same with the motor off. I do ease off when shifting. I believe I read somewhere that SRAM were noisier than Shimano.
A question: I notice that sometimes my right heel is hitting the bottom of the crank arm so I have to pedal on the outer part of the pedal. I do have very wide feet, 4E shoes. Wondering what my options are. Do they make wider pedals as replacements? What about pedal extensions? And how difficult would it be to either add the extensions or get wider pedals on the Vado Sl? I'm not that handy. Thanks for any advice.

Crank Brothers Stamp 1 or 7 Large pedals. And Adidas FiveTen FreeRider Pro shoes (optional).

And how difficult would it be to either add the extensions or get wider pedals on the Vado Sl? I'm not that handy. Thanks for any advice.
Not difficult at all using a hex wrench from the back side of the crank arm, although it depends on how tight the mechanic installed them at the shop. The important thing to remember is that the left-side pedal uses left-hand threads, meaning that you loosen and tighten it opposite the usual direction. Basically, to loosen either pedal, turn the wrench to rotate toward the rear of the bike.

I have a new Vado Sl 4.0 step-through with the SRAM 11 speed. Compared to my non electric hybrid 3 x 8 with Shimano Deore, the shifting is noisier, a bit of a clunk when downshifting, but no grinding. I haven't had a chance to see if it is the same with the motor off. I do ease off when shifting. I believe I read somewhere that SRAM were noisier than Shimano.
A question: I notice that sometimes my right heel is hitting the bottom of the crank arm so I have to pedal on the outer part of the pedal. I do have very wide feet, 4E shoes. Wondering what my options are. Do they make wider pedals as replacements? What about pedal extensions? And how difficult would it be to either add the extensions or get wider pedals on the Vado Sl? I'm not that handy. Thanks for any advice.
I have rather large feet as well (EU 47), and went with the Specialized "Bennies" (posted a pic of them here https://electricbikereview.com/foru...incredible-e-bike-user-club.43468/post-519677 ). Crank Brothers make some fine stuff too, I don't think you can go wrong with those.

It is a most interesting write up, Robert! Thank you!
I cannot remember what you wrote on your fitness before. I would personally avoid riding my SL in such a hilly area
Well I'm 48 and used to be somewhat sporty. Nowadays - let's put it this way: I had to carefully pick the bike in regards to weight limits.
Some days I feel it would have been wiser to not go with the SL for the area I live in, but then I'm over the hill and switch off assist and the bike feels just like a normal (albeit heavy) roadbike. Feels good man.

My feet aren't that large, size 9, just wide. So these are significantly wider? I can't find dimensions on the stock pedals.
They are significantly wide. I can rest my feet in winter mountain hiking boots on them, too.

Stefan,
Do you feel the raised area in the middle of the pedals? The shoes I wear are flat on the bottom, so I like the idea of a flat pedal.

Stefan,
Do you feel the raised area in the middle of the pedals? The shoes I wear are flat on the bottom, so I like the idea of a flat pedal.
It is in fact concave (which is very good). There are traction pins (as in many modern platform pedals). These are good for any shoe (perhaps not the best for leather soles!) However, wearing MTB platform shoes (the FiveTens are perceived as the best ones in the market) makes your feet feel as if they were glued to the pedal. If I need to accelerate the e-bike, my feet start moving in the forward-backwards fashion (as opposed to upside-down) and my ebikes shoot forward like a rocket. Stamps (or other traction-pin) pedals with proper shoes feel as excellent as the clipless solution but you can remove your feet from pedals at any time, and orient them as you like.

I have a new Vado SL 4.0
and am looking for your recommendations for a monitor that will let me know things like speed, cadence, etc. does the specialized TCD work on the SL, and/or what are your preferred options. thanks!

I have a new Vado SL 4.0
and am looking for your recommendations for a monitor that will let me know things like speed, cadence, etc. does the specialized TCD work on the SL, and/or what are your preferred options. thanks!
Congratulations! The US$90 TCD (wireless) works perfectly on Vado SL 4.0. There are some little things that you should be aware of:
  • The TCD is totally independent of the bike. To turn it on, you need to press a button on the TCD. The display will remain on as long as the e-bike is on. It will go off soon after Vado SL is off. (It will keep your ride parameters, so you can continue monitoring your ride after the e-bike restart). You reset the TCD for a new ride by simultaneously depressing both buttons.
  • The backlighting works only briefly after you pressed a button on the TCD. The TCD will remain not backlit on your night rides, which is the weakest point of that display.
  • Depressing a button actually means pinching the bottom of the display (not the best design concept).
The good things are:
  • You will get all ride parameters you might be interested with in five configurable screens
  • TCD is equipped with a Garmin mount
  • The thing is inexpensive (which is very important)
  • The battery holds for at least a year.
The alternative way is using a bike GPS computer with so-called LEV ANT+ technology:
  • Garmin Edge 530, 830, or 1030+
  • Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt v2 or Roam (I truly recommend Bolt v2 even if I use the Roam).
All these bike GPS computers can connect to your Vado SL perfectly, using just a single E-Bike Sensor of these devices (we do not use the Cadence or Power Sensors; the E-Bike Sensor will do). You will get the same parameters as on the TCD but more nicely organized, and you will get the benefit of GPS navigation.
  • Garmin Edge 530 is button operated, and the 830/1030+ are touch-screen
  • Wahoo ELEMNT devices are operated by large solid buttons (good for gloves)
  • The Specialized TCD mount is a Garmin mount. Wahoo requires a separate mount.
  • These devices are insanely expensive.
I have standardized on Wahoo as I liked the device the most. I use Wahoo on both my big Vado 5.0 and Vado SL 4.0 EQ. I also own a TCD which I do not use.

Last edited:
Congratulations! The US$90 TCD (wireless) works perfectly on Vado SL 4.0. There are some little things that you should be aware of:
  • The TCD is totally independent of the bike. To turn it on, you need to press a button on the TCD. The display will remain on as long as the e-bike is on. It will go off soon after Vado SL is off. (It will keep your ride parameters, so you can continue monitoring your ride after the e-bike restart). You reset the TCD for a new ride by simultaneously depressing both buttons.
  • The backlighting works only briefly after you pressed a button on the TCD. The TCD will remain not backlit on your night rides, which is the weakest point of that display.
  • Depressing a button actually means pinching the bottom of the display (not the best design concept).
The good things are:
  • You will get all ride parameters you might be interested with in five configurable screens
  • TCD is equipped with a Garmin mount
  • The thing is inexpensive (which is very important)
  • The battery holds for at least a year.
The alternative way is using a bike GPS computer with so-called LEV ANT+ technology:
  • Garmin Edge 530, 830, or 1030+
  • Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt v2 or Roam (I truly recommend Bolt v2 even if I use the Roam).
All these bike GPS computers can connect to your Vado SL perfectly, using just a single E-Bike Sensor of these devices (we do not use the Cadence or Power Sensors; the E-Bike Sensor will do). You will get the same parameters as on the TCD but more nicely organized, and you will get the benefit of GPS navigation.
  • Garmin Edge 530 is button operated, and the 830/1030+ are touch-screen
  • Wahoo ELEMNT devices are operated by large solid buttons (good for gloves)
  • The Specialized TCD mount is a Garmin mount. Wahoo requires a separate mount.
  • These devices are insanely expensive.
I have standardized on Wahoo as I liked the device the most. I use Wahoo on both my big Vado 5.0 and Vado SL 4.0 EQ. I also own a TCD which I do not use.
I’ll add one to the list: garmin edge 130 plus. It’s garmin’s cheapest unit and mine works very well with my Creo. I paired it with the power and cadence sensors on the bike, then with my Varia radar-rear light. It displays rider power, cadence and all the basic speed and time units. Adding the ebike field extension to the garmin app gives a field on the display that shows battery level and assist level.

I’ll add one to the list: garmin edge 130 plus. It’s garmin’s cheapest unit and mine works very well with my Creo. I paired it with the power and cadence sensors on the bike, then with my Varia radar-rear light. It displays rider power, cadence and all the basic speed and time units. Adding the ebike field extension to the garmin app gives a field on the display that shows battery level and assist level.
I think the main difference is you had to pair the cadence and power sensors for the 130+ while you just need to pair a single E-Bike Sensor on the more expensive devices (a difference between ANT+ and LEV ANT+). I'm glad the 130+ works for you!

On my 1030+, I canNOT get cadence or power. I've paired with the "simple" e-bike sensor. Both of those fields remain blank. I get bike-battery-percentage, I get assistance level (1, 3, 5). I get speed and distance but those are probably from the gps aspect.

On my 1030+, I canNOT get cadence or power. I've paired with the "simple" e-bike sensor. Both of those fields remain blank. I get bike-battery-percentage, I get assistance level (1, 3, 5). I get speed and distance but those are probably from the gps aspect.
I wish I lived closer to you. The SL system is the same for Vado SL or Creo. My brother riding a LEV ANT+ capable Giant e-bike and using the 530 only connects the E-Bike Sensor to get all the parameters!

I heard the Specialized Turbo Vado SL rides and handles like a regular bike, but with the added power of the motor, it's motor is nearly silent, and provides enough power to make riding up hills a breeze.

it's motor is nearly silent,
There are different opinions on that. The SL motor is audible. It is quiet for me, terribly noisy for other riders.

provides enough power to make riding up hills a breeze
For a fit and strong rider, yes. Not for me and my bad legs. There is a 10% short hill in my larger neighbourhood, and I struggle over there. On the other hand, the user such @Rás Cnoic has replaced the chain-ring in his Vado SL with a 38T one, and is reportedly zooming over British hills :)

I heard the Specialized Turbo Vado SL rides and handles like a regular bike, but with the added power of the motor
100% true.

Back