Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Re my above posts about the battery, I have not had any problems after I looked at it. I believe expanding the female contacts in the battery that contact the male on the bike have resolved the blackout issue.

I did replace the kickstands on the Vado and Como 5. One had the plastic portion of the leg break. Replaced them both with a PDW power stance kickstand, part #545. Whatever you get you want the 40mm spacing on the fasteners. This kit provides the fasteners, though I don't know if they are soft or graded. I used cap head screws because I wanted something hard. I am not sure the ones I took off were the originals, but they were soft and the head and threads were no longer perpendicular because they kept coming loose. On the front fastener, M6 btw, you can go longer and put a lock nut on it, which I did. The rear fastener is very tight with the brake disc so it cannot extend too far past the threads in the kickstand.

@Eheller, don't hesitate! Giant FastRoad certainly is an excellent bike, yet it has even smaller battery than Vado 3.0 (375 vs 460 Wh). The torque perception could have been subjective as the Yamaha SyncDrive Pro sports the torque of 80 Nm and the Specialized Brose offers 90 Nm.

Regarding the battery it is good if you ask the dealer if the 460 and 604 Wh batteries are interchangeable (I can bet they are). All in all, you might need a spare (and a bigger) battery in the future, when your next budget allows it.

Note: The temperature in your area is now in some 40's. Bear in mind to charge the battery at the room temperature and expect far lower battery range than you will be able to get when temperature becomes higher than 55 F.

There was a point I forgot to discuss before: The motor. It is completely silent in Turbo Vado. I haven't ridden e-bikes with different make of the mid motor but I was watching YT videos and it is clear to me other brand motors are audible: they seem to whine. I will have to hear the Specialized Brose motor yet 🤣

You compared the riding positions Vado vs Como. Of course, the forward riding position helps faster riding. However, my tummy is rather large and I initially felt discomfort while riding my Vado. I got the steering tube extended by some 3" riser and spacers. Now, I ride more upright and more comfortable.

Waiting for your experiences, hopefully soon!
I have the Brose 90 NM motor in may Ride1Up and it too is completely silent. I appreciate that and the smooth power delivery more can I can explain, especially after having two bikes with whinie motors and bad power delivery.

Back