Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

It’s certainly possible to change the country and thus some limitations in some corporate software but it’s not available outside official channels (e.g., you’re changing countries and you go see your official specialized store) and given the penalties for the professional who would do that in many countries if the bike doesn’t apply local laws, nobody will do that unlawfully

Yes, it's basically possible, but LBC is breaking the rules. Not to disparage my country, but law enforcement is not its forte.

In any case, first I will try to see if I can with medium support (on flat ground) to hit 30km/h, it would be great....

Currently with vado 6.0 with support 35% I reach a speed of 30km/h, which I consider the ideal speed for my needs, and that is my goal.

Hello everyone,
Tomorrow I'm picking up Vado 5.0 2023 red tint color used for a short time, like new.
I am wondering if it is possible to unlock the support level via software. EU model from 25km/h to 45km/h.Thx
You might have to speak nicely to your retailer, maybe a bribe with a few beers :) - but If you say it is only used on off-road private bike tracks I don't see why it cant be changed?

You might have to speak nicely to your retailer, maybe a bribe with a few beers :)
1707976888405.png

You probably don't know that every Specialized e-bike is registered in a global database. When a dealer connects Turbo Studio to an e-bike, the application checks in which world region the e-bike was distributed. The dealer is simply unable to perform any action that is not allowed for a given WSBC e-bike, in particular, changing the speed restriction in a given area is impossible. Igor and I have owned a Vado 6.0, which is a European "moped" with a speed restriction of 45 km/h. For example, the dealer cannot change the wheel circumference for this model, because it is a property of the type of this e-bike, and it is read-only.

but If you say it is only used on off-road private bike tracks I don't see why it cant be changed?
In Europe, things are different. "E-bike" is defined by European law as a type, equated with traditional pedal bikes. There is no loophole here.

The European law defines a bicycle as "a vehicle not exceeding 0.9 meters in width, propelled by the muscular power of the person riding the vehicle, while it is permitted to equip a bicycle with an electric drive activated by pedals, powered by a voltage of no more than 48 volts with a rated continuous power of no more than 250 watts, the output of which decreases gradually and drops to zero after exceeding a speed of 25 km/h".

That's it. There is no word about where the bicycle can be ridden, private property or a public road. That's why e-bikes are allowed in any European national park where pedal bicycles are allowed. If you want to hamper with your own e-bike, yes, you can illegally do it and ride it on your own property but then say bye-bye to your warranty.

1707979026449.png

1707979050518.png

If the dealer hampered with the e-bike themselves and would get caught, they would also lose their dealership. The top photo: A Specialized LBS in 2019. Bottom: No Specialized LBS in 2023, as they tried to play games with the mother company :)

Igor could of course derestrict his Vado himself but then he would take the consequences of doing so.

Last edited:
Stefan, thank you for your effort, everything is clear to me...
It is frustrating that the bike has the ability and we are limited.
Igor, if you really must, consider a PearTune "tuner" dongle.
For myself, I have got as much experience as now I accept the 25 km/h restriction, and learned riding slower :)

There was a ride that became an eye-opener for me. A nice cyclist talked to me and said: 'Stefan, you are spoilt with the electric assistance. Any of us learned riding a bike slowly and only then the physical form improved, allowing us riding faster. It is no shame if your average speed for a ride is below 20 km/h!" That made me thinking. What I did was riding long trips with gradually reducing the assistance. Now, I'm riding my Vado 6.0 at just 20/20% assistance if the weather permits it. It gave me the single battery range of 100+ km with the average speed still at 21 km/h. I actually stopped taking spare batteries with me, making my e-bike relatively lightweight and aerodynamic. Low assistance makes it easy on the battery and motor, too.

When it comes to my Vado SL, I often ride it unassisted to improve my shape. Ya, that took me over 3 years to understand the speed is not everything! (It is still fun, though!)

Of course, I also ride SL with 35% support and improve my fitness.

I ride this Vado 6.0 (new 5.0) in urban areas (ie on the road together with vehicles), so sometimes it takes me a while to develop a speed of >30km/h.

Hey everyone, a new Tero 3.0 owner checking in from Bentonville, Arkansas, USA. I purchased my bike in early December during the massive sale, and I have put nearly 300 miles on it in January and February. Thanks to @Stefan Mikes, @Ben J, and everyone else for the really valuable information here. The price vs the Tero 5.0 was the biggest decision point for me, and I decided I didn't need the bigger battery or motor for twice the cost. If I didn't have access to such amazing trails, I'd be on a Vado. If I had the budget, a Haul would probably be in the quiver too.

The Tero 3.0 is a daily commuter (~7mi/11km roundtrip), a gravel bike, a leisure bike, an errand bike, and my bike to get me onto green mountain bike trails. Eventually it'll also be used to take my 18 month old son to the local parks in a kid carrier. I live in an area where I have access to quite a bit of different infrastructure for bike commuting and mountain biking plus a really family friendly environment, and I needed a bike that could do a little bit of everything for me while I figure out my specialty or if I'll even have a specialty. It lets me have a ton of fun while also getting a decent amount of exercise at the same time.

I was gifted a coolcave pannier and the EQ kit, and both have been excellent for the commute. As I rode more trails, I took the front fender off but left the front light. I'll be picking the bike up from the LBS today after upgrading from the 9 speed to a 12 speed and swapping out the 36T chainring for a 42T. I wanted some more speed, but I didn't want to sacrifice my climbing ability. I feel like I've created a Frankenstein that fits my budget but gives me similar performance as the more expensive Tero 5.0.

Thanks again for the informative posts. A dropper post and new tires might be in my future, but I think I'm sorted to just ride for quite a while. I'll post a picture when I pick it up today!

Edit to attach photo

Attachments

• Tero.jpg
    Tero.jpg
    824.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
There are rumors of a speed limit change in Europe. If this were true in the end, would specialized update the limit or just tell you to buy the new bike with the new speed limit ?

Is any Rosenberg plug charger compatible with turbo batteries ? I would need a second charger at work and would like to buy it a bit cheaper than the specialized one.

There are rumors of a speed limit change in Europe. If this were true in the end, would specialized update the limit or just tell you to buy the new bike with the new speed limit ?
IIRC they updated the speed limiting for Turbo Teros after a law change in the US.

Definitely not something that Bosch would ever do. You buy a new bike!

Any source?
Bear in mind that even if the Euro Parliament changes the bill, it takes all member states' parliaments change the Road Code of respective countries, and it is legally a tricky situation for Specialized.

IIRC they updated the speed limiting for Turbo Teros after a law change in the US.
No, they updated the speed limit by firmware not because of any law change but because the US federal law allows Class 1 and 3. It was just a Class change within the existing law. I agree updating the speed limit by firmware is perfectly doable for Specialized.
Definitely not something that Bosch would ever do. You buy a new bike!
Yes, Bosch has locked itself because of the brand's legal paranoia. Even Bosch cannot change the speed limit for motors already manufactured for a given world region...

Is any Rosenberg plug charger compatible with turbo batteries ? I would need a second charger at work and would like to buy it a bit cheaper than the specialized one.
I would not even consider such an unsafe action :) Possible outcome:
  • Battery fire
  • Damage to the e-bike system
  • Loss of the warranty.

Last edited:
I wasn’t talking about cheap Ali express alternatives but alternatives from Brose or Shimano

Brose might do but bear in mind the whole electronics around the Brose motor is Specialized.

I wouldn't do it anyway. You'd save a little to lose a lot.

If anyone in the U.S. is looking for a great deal on a slightly used Turbo Tero (only700 miles), I just listed mine for sale. Only selling to fund a new project bike.

I'm also selling my salsa warbird. Whichever sells first I will keep the other.

My wife recently purchased a Vado 4.0, and we're itching to take the bikes with us when we head of out town. Does anyone here have either a Kuat NV 2.0 or a 1Up Heavy Duty 2" car rack and experience hauling a bike with front fenders? Would you please share your experience? I think either of those would work for our bikes, but I'm a little worried about her front fender. I see where I can get a pad from 1Up to cushion the fender. We've also looked at the Kuat Piston Pro which has a option to deal with the fender, but we are tabling that depending on the feedback on the Kuat NV 2.0.

My wife recently purchased a Vado 4.0, and we're itching to take the bikes with us when we head of out town. Does anyone here have either a Kuat NV 2.0 or a 1Up Heavy Duty 2" car rack and experience hauling a bike with front fenders? Would you please share your experience? I think either of those would work for our bikes, but I'm a little worried about her front fender. I see where I can get a pad from 1Up to cushion the fender. We've also looked at the Kuat Piston Pro which has a option to deal with the fender, but we are tabling that depending on the feedback on the Kuat NV 2.0.
I have NV base and it works great, you can buy some tie downs just in case, and strap the front down, I have never had problem with my bikes and the rack but when I head up to the mountains long distance, I strap them just in case.

Back