Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

When I changed the chain ring to a 42, I went with a Deckas. They are on Amazon for $25. It comes with new bolts. They have a lot of good reviews.

It was a very simple swap... maybe 15 minutes. I did not need to lengthen my chain. I did need to remove the chain guide, but never had an issue of the chain coming off thanks to the narrow-wide teeth on the new chain ring (make sure to slot your chain links on the correct narrow or wide teeth).

screenshot_20230908_061745_amazon-shopping-jpg.162213

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230908_061745_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230908_061745_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 641
  • 20220422_185754.jpg
    20220422_185754.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 76
Not so fast! What would you do to the rear tail-light and related wires? Garmin Varia? It is all tightly integrated!
I spoke to a shop yesterday who confirmed it can be done, i.e. all unplugged, safely. If I proceeded, my plan would be to disintegrate it, plastic bag all the parts, store it in a loft for safe keeping until I resale the bike down the road. Its possible I might like the option of riding in the rain and lights for dusk evening rides too, so if the bike does not feel like a slug (if/when I get one) perhaps I'd get myself straight about leaving it all on the bike and just enjoy it in stock form. This forum and replies is definitely helpful in thinking it through. Thanks!

When I changed the chain ring to a 42, I went with a Deckas.
Thanks for sharing this @giantkn10. Something easy to swap like this is more attractive than replacing front and rear both. Sorry if I missed it, and when you mentioned a chain guide, I'm assuming you did this on a Vado maybe. Just to reconfirm, is it a Tero or Vado for this chain ring swap, and what year model is the bike?

Thanks for sharing this @giantkn10. Something easy to swap like this is more attractive than replacing front and rear both. Sorry if I missed it, and when you mentioned a chain guide, I'm assuming you did this on a Vado maybe. Just to reconfirm, is it a Tero or Vado for this chain ring swap, and what year model is the bike?
Tero 5.0

If I proceeded, my plan would be to disintegrate it, plastic bag all the parts, store it in a loft for safe keeping until I resale the bike down the road.
Come on... Are you getting rid of something such vital for your road safety as the Garmin Varia? :) I removed the front fender from my Vado SL (it was causing issues offroad) but kept the rear thing.
Decisions... decisions... I wonder why you had the impression Tero handled badly on your demo ride?

Come on... Are you getting rid of something such vital for your road safety as the Garmin Varia? :) I removed the front fender from my Vado SL (it was causing issues offroad) but kept the rear thing.
Decisions... decisions... I wonder why you had the impression Tero handled badly on your demo ride?
Disclaimer: I only tested 3.0 in Tero, not 5.0, so my feedback might be limited. On the road, the Tero 3.0 for me was a little bit sluggish compared to my own Sirrus X 5.0 and the Vado 4.0 I demoed. I suspect two reasons for starters, types of tires - knobby vs street 50/50 hybrid, and taller 29'er vs. shorter and snappier 27.5 size wheels. I guess this would be expected. My former Santa Cruz and former Specialized '29er bikes did not act as responsive (on the paved street) as the Vado 4.0 I rode and the current Sirrus X 5.0 Carbon I own. Not bad, just different - not as fun for me on the street I guess. We could say the reverse about Tero on the dirt too I guess, i.e. tires/wheel size, perhaps. To be sure, I really need to ride 5.0 Vado and 5.0 Tero back to back. Not sure I'll get that chance any time soon in my NorCal region.

Disclaimer: I only tested 3.0 in Tero, not 5.0, so my feedback might be limited. On the road, the Tero 3.0 for me was a little bit sluggish compared to my own Sirrus X 5.0 and the Vado 4.0 I demoed. I suspect two reasons for starters, types of tires - knobby vs street 50/50 hybrid, and taller 29'er vs. shorter and snappier 27.5 size wheels. I guess this would be expected. My former Santa Cruz and former Specialized '29er bikes did not act as responsive (on the paved street) as the Vado 4.0 I rode and the current Sirrus X 5.0 Carbon I own. Not bad, just different - not as fun for me on the street I guess. We could say the reverse about Tero on the dirt too I guess, i.e. tires/wheel size, perhaps. To be sure, I really need to ride 5.0 Vado and 5.0 Tero back to back. Not sure I'll get that chance any time soon in my NorCal region.
The Vado is a Highway Star or a Roadrunner :) It becomes a little bit of a nuisance on the dirt ;) My Vado is not the current Vado, and I could still successfully participate in off-road group rides on the Vado but in my honest opinion Vado is NOT an off-road e-bike :)

The Vado is a Highway Star or a Roadrunner :) It becomes a little bit of a nuisance on the dirt ;) My Vado is not the current Vado, and I could still successfully participate in off-road group rides on the Vado but in my honest opinion Vado is NOT an off-road e-bike :)
Good points and definitely where my thinking is stuck. I called today and there are no available new 5.0 Vados in my region next 90-120 days.

Oh well - This sort of cuts me loose to look around for potential alternatives. I find it hard to understand how my local incycle (specialized backed, owned) stores can do well with sales people, lights on, limited Spec local and regional inventory. Hope they can catch up again in 2024.

Oh well - This sort of cuts me loose to look around for potential alternatives. I find it hard to understand how my local incycle (specialized backed, owned) stores can do well with sales people, lights on, limited Spec local and regional inventory. Hope they can catch up again in 2024.
I went for more discussion in your own thread!

My new (to me) Tero 5.0 is here! Labor Day sale at Pros Closet for only $2499. I never shop at Pros Closet, but I couldn't pass it up. I will say my whole experience with them was great.

Only 285 miles, looks and rides like new. I had a Tero 5.0 last year but the size L was a little too small (I'm 6'2"). This XL feels just right.

I brought it to the local specialized dealer today to get checked out and get the software update to Class 3. The tech said it was actually 4 updates behind. He said everything was as good as new on it and I got a hell of a deal.

After the update I went on a little test ride around the parking lot and had no problem getting up to 25mph. I planned on changing the front ring to a 42 or 44 like my last Tero, but now I don't know if I will. I guess I need to go for a long ride to decide.

I usually put a Redshift seat post on all of my bikes for the slight suspension. I've never been one for using a dropper post. Maybe I'll hold off on the swap and see if I use the dropper or see if I want a little bit of suspension.

My other two normal installs are a Jones loop bar with a slight rise, and an Axiom Cycling Gear Streamliner Disc DLX Rear Bike Rack.

I've used that rack on every bike I've owned the past 3 years. From EMTBs to gravel bikes. It fits everything and I like how it sits back a bit so your heels don't hit your bags.

The only thing I would change about this bike is the color. I don't hate this color, but I don't love it either. All other turbo bikes come in multiple colors, so why not the Tero 5.0? Matte black should be an option on all bikes IMO.

20230913_184247.jpg

First of all: Big congratulations on your deal!
I've never been one for using a dropper post.
It is useful. For instance, I had to ride through a patch deep sand recently (on a Levo SL). It was virtually impossible for me to safely ride through it with the full length of the seat-post. On the second attempt (I was testing the Levo SL for sand-riding capability), I dropped the seat halfway, and could securely ride through the sand. Also, downhill rides are fun if you totally drop the seat, stand on the pedals and move your butt above the rear wheel ;) Getting on and off the bike with the seat dropped just means comfort.

$2500 for a Tero 5, I’d say you hit that one out of the park. Nice rig!
I couldn't believe they had the exact bike I wanted at such a low price. It was $2999 before the sale, and I would have bought it for that price.

I was about to buy a Scott Strike full suspension for $3000. I decided to check local Facebook, Craigslist, pinkbike, etc one last time for any new deals. Facebook kept showing me Pros Closet labor day sale ads, so I checked them out and there it was. Perfect timing. It was meant to be.

First of all: Big congratulations on your deal!

It is useful. For instance, I had to ride through a patch deep sand recently (on a Levo SL). It was virtually impossible for me to safely ride through it with the full length of the seat-post. On the second attempt (I was testing the Levo SL for sand-riding capability), I dropped the seat halfway, and could securely ride through the sand. Also, downhill rides are fun if you totally drop the seat, stand on the pedals and move your butt above the rear wheel ;) Getting on and off the bike with the seat dropped just means comfort.
I do like it for mounting/dismounting. But I still don't use it during riding. I just don't think about using it. Also, the slight wiggle in the seat triggers my biking OCD 🤪. I'll give it another week, but I think I'll be swapping with the Redshift stem.

I do like it for mounting/dismounting. But I still don't use it during riding. I just don't think about using it. Also, the slight wiggle in the seat triggers my biking OCD 🤪. I'll give it another week, but I think I'll be swapping with the Redshift stem.
Yes, you can do it.
However, there should be no "slight wiggle" in the seat with the dropper post! (Something is wrong with yours?)

The thing that strikes me immediately about most Specialized bikes is the battery integration is top notch. You can hardly tell that the Tero has a huge battery capacity inside.

Going back to the first page of this thread with the Vado from a few years ago, that’s kinda what most current e-bikes look like. Nothing wrong with it at all, just impressive that they found ways to hide it so well.

The thing that strikes me immediately about most Specialized bikes is the battery integration is top notch. You can hardly tell that the Tero has a huge battery capacity inside.

Going back to the first page of this thread with the Vado from a few years ago, that’s kinda what most current e-bikes look like. Nothing wrong with it at all, just impressive that they found ways to hide it so well.
I do agree. My older Vado 6.0 looks quite obsolete now :)

Back