Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

The change in the settings can be done as you ride with Mastermind e-bikes because there is an easy sequence of keystrokes on the remote to do that (MicroTune).

With older Vado (to change assistance on the fly) you need either to:
  1. Have a smartphone running BLEvo on your handlebar and do the changes with your finger, or
  2. Install O-Synce and control BLEvo with O-Synce as a remote. The smartphone can be kept in your pocket.
Otherwise, it is necessary to stop the bike, produce the phone from the pocket, do the assistance change and continue riding.
Thanks, that was a bit of Blue Tooth Tech we didn't see coming included.
Next is Valet Pkg app, get to the store,, go park & charge yourself.
And while in the rack, no wireless charging off others.

Turbo Como 5 IGH 2022
I have had my new Como 5 for 3 weeks or so now and really love it! Amazingly smooth and quiet and very fast!! Only one thing I will be changing out at the first service - shorter cranks. Although I try to lift pedals into turns, there are occasions where you want to pedal out of a turn and if its on a slope I have occasionally had pedal strike. Still leaning all the features in the apps and all the automatic gear adjustments, but it is amazing tech.
Truly this is one if the nicest designs seen yet. Saved to gallery. It's almost too sexy, as in the Austin Martin class of hydraulically forced body designs.
Cheers

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'd sneak him
into bedroom - all wrapped in fleece comforter, reading it bedtime stories
of how bikes used to be single speed, coaster brakes, deep sugar sand & schitt...

Cheers

Not bad for $10 and five minutes effort....

Garmin Varia Seat Rail mount installed in place of the reflector on my Vado 4.0. Quarter turn mount was already installed this way.

For neatness I'll trim the left side as that section is superfluous, and while the right-most screw goes through one of the reflector bracket holes the other two span either side of the bracket. I may fashion an overlay bracket if it seems this doesn't hold in place as it stands, or I may raise it up and drill a corresponding hole in the bracket above the reflector holes.

View attachment 132487

Trimmed the mount, drilled a hole in the bracket for the middle screw, and back together.

Nice and clean.

D343511B-E55C-43DF-9D09-E9C722623E3D.jpeg75C4CCB1-11E9-47B3-AD47-729547923339.jpeg6EECFEDE-A7DF-40BB-A551-FF3CF703C3DE.jpeg

That's such a nice looking rack - but I was not aware of this Radar device - Sure wish I had it on the cruiser.

Garmin Varia RTL515, Cycling Rearview Radar with Tail Light,​

Visual and Audible Alerts for Vehicles Up to 153 Yards Away​

The rack is stock on the Vado. I removed the reflector and modified the bracket to accept the Garmin mount.

Varia radar is a great complement to a mirror, particularly when riding on the road vs a path. I set it to flash the light, and when it detects a vehicle it changes the flash pattern briefly to help alert the driver to the bicycle's presence.

Edit - much as I like the Spanniga Glow integrated tail light, I do feel that flashing lights actively draw drivers attention better in daytime mixed sun/shadow lighting than a static light does.

Last edited:
The rack is stock on the Vado. I removed the reflector and modified the bracket to accept the Garmin mount.

Varia radar is a great complement to a mirror, particularly when riding on the road vs a path. I set it to flash the light, and when it detects a vehicle it changes the flash pattern briefly to help alert the driver to the bicycle's presence.

Edit - much as I like the Spanniga Glow integrated tail light, I do feel that flashing lights actively draw drivers attention better in daytime mixed sun/shadow lighting than a static light does.
Absolute - even on cruisers, we tested the flashing headlight while perched on the bridge to see
in rush hour traffic when he was seen. Easily a good 1/4 mile, and On Two Wheels,, there's nothing that's safer than flashing daylight lamp to have on, or sure enough, they'll merge right on top of you.
Cheers

How It Started / How It's Going...

Abus 5755L key-retaining. Essentially the 5750 mentioned by Specialized but in the XPlus key vs the Plus key.

Ended up ordering from Amazon.de and received it in the US in under a week.

This *just* fits, there's approx 1mm clearance to the inside of the rim. Had to drop the rear wheel to install it, but didn't need to remove the fender.

View attachment 132531View attachment 132532View attachment 132533
Are you using both bolt holes without modification? I ordered a 5750L because that was all I could find, but it won't line up with both holes. I do love the 100mm chain with it, it just barely fits my 22' 4.0. I can fit one of the holes, but I love the cafe lock concept. Thanks!

It was close, but my 5755L fit my size M 2022 Vado 4.0 mounts with no modifications. I ordered from Amazon.de for delivery to US via DHL because I wanted the key retaining version.

A Story of Recent Days... :D

Or, when you had just replaced your chain on the Vado to discover it was slipping on the two smallest cassette cogs... (Requiring you to find, order, and then re-install these cogs on your e-bike to avoid buying the whole expensive new cassette; these cogs are not easy to find!)

Or, when you had just labouriously treated your Vado SL with a wax based lube to discover that that chain was also stretched but you had no replacement at the ready...

:D

I've gone to the wax side. I was using the straight dry lube with MoS2 and don't think it was doing the job. I cleaned the chains in solution then put a magnet to it. All the stuff that came off was magnetic. It doesn't attract dirt at all but it must be burnishing the metal or something like that. All the crud in the bottom was magnetic. So straight paraffin wax it is. I feel better playing in it also.

Also going to get a bench mount repair stand. I have the Feedback portable which works good but the heavy bike on the tripod has tried to tip one too many times. Works good with the lighter bikes and I like it but with the heavy bikes when I get to tugging and pulling and forget the stand configuration it can tip.

Probably got 20-30 miles on the waxed chain and really liking it. Makes for a nice shine on the concrete floor when it's worked in properly.

Have couple thousand miles on the Vado now. Checked the brake pads and they look good, wearing evenly with probably half the pad left. This is with the 200mm rotors. I think with the larger rotors you don't have to scrub as much and saves the pads.

It was close, but my 5755L fit my size M 2022 Vado 4.0 mounts with no modifications. I ordered from Amazon.de for delivery to US via DHL because I wanted the key retaining version.
I gave it a whirl tonight. I can confirm the 5750L also fits the 22 Vado 4.0 perfectly with no modifications needed to the lock. I was thinking the screw head might have been too wide, but it was just right.

Attachments

• 20220930_193633.jpg
    20220930_193633.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Also going to get a bench mount repair stand. I have the Feedback portable which works good but the heavy bike on the tripod has tried to tip one too many times. Works good with the lighter bikes and I like it but with the heavy bikes when I get to tugging and pulling and forget the stand configuration it can tip.

FWIW my Vado 4.0 is quite stable on my Park Tool PCS 10.3 work stand. Rated for 80lb. IMHO it’s one of those buy-once-cry-once tools.

Here's what I did. Ordered the park tools bench mount bike repair stand, then decided that only solved part of the problem. The chair lift came out of a handicap van and had it on craigslist for $100 just to get rid of it and no bites so thought hey, part of the problem solved right there. It rotates, forward/reverse, and lifts. But it wasn't quite enough, then decided on the atv lift which was cost the most but it can have multiple purposes. The whole thing is kind of an investment in the future. The como step thru is the hardest to mount in a stand because the seatpost has to be used and with all the attachments has a bit of weight. I think this will solve that problem somewhat.

Attachments

• 3A199C99-D87B-4ACE-A4B6-8E7DA29ACE6A.jpeg
    3A199C99-D87B-4ACE-A4B6-8E7DA29ACE6A.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 151
The park tool had the female threads on the jaw cross threaded, like not centered then another set of threads over the top of them, made the mating of the two pieces kind of trial and error. I notified them and like the great company they are they are sending a replacement.

Here's what I did. Ordered the park tools bench mount bike repair stand, then decided that only solved part of the problem. The chair lift came out of a handicap van and had it on craigslist for $100 just to get rid of it and no bites so thought hey, part of the problem solved right there. It rotates, forward/reverse, and lifts. But it wasn't quite enough, then decided on the atv lift which was cost the most but it can have multiple purposes. The whole thing is kind of an investment in the future. The como step thru is the hardest to mount in a stand because the seatpost has to be used and with all the attachments has a bit of weight. I think this will solve that problem somewhat.

Now THAT is some redneck engineering! :D

Local shop has one of these bad boys...

I was going to replace the pads on the 5.0 but the pads were too thick for the aftermarket 203mm discs so I put the old ones back in. They were probably 1/2 used, pretty evenly as I check adjustment about every chain relube. This was the front and for some reason I was getting the dreaded squeal sound after I put them back in. After a couple days of that I reasoned that I had not changed anything but maybe put the pads back in reversed, so I reversed them again and what do you know? It worked! No more squeal.

Back