Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

How It Started / How It's Going...

Abus 5755L key-retaining. Essentially the 5750 mentioned by Specialized but in the XPlus key vs the Plus key.

Ended up ordering from Amazon.de and received it in the US in under a week.

This *just* fits, there's approx 1mm clearance to the inside of the rim. Had to drop the rear wheel to install it, but didn't need to remove the fender.

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 4.05.02 PM.pngtempImagexsSS0s.pngtempImage8Z9HY3.png

How It Started / How It's Going...

Abus 5755L key-retaining. Essentially the 5750 mentioned by Specialized but in the XPlus key vs the Plus key.

Ended up ordering from Amazon.de and received it in the US in under a week.

This *just* fits, there's approx 1mm clearance to the inside of the rim. Had to drop the rear wheel to install it, but didn't need to remove the fender.

View attachment 132531View attachment 132532View attachment 132533
Nice To bad you have to do that . WHere I live people don't steal . Yet anyway lol

Nice To bad you have to do that . WHere I live people don't steal . Yet anyway lol
Truthfully, I don't know to what extent folks would or wouldn't steal in the places I might leave the bike briefly unattended here in suburbia...

... but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

A frame lock is simple and easy, and a plug in chain enhances the encouragement that the thief choose an easier target.

Truthfully, I don't know to what extent folks would or wouldn't steal in the places I might leave the bike briefly unattended here in suburbia...

... but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

A frame lock is simple and easy, and a plug in chain enhances the encouragement that the thief choose an easier target.
With technology being what it is . It probably won't be to long before they figure out a way to lockup the drive train or wheel using software .

With technology being what it is . It probably won't be to long before they figure out a way to lockup the drive train or wheel using software .
It does not help. An e-bike can be easily carried away. And no lock will stop a determined thief.

It does not help. An e-bike can be easily carried away. And no lock will stop a determined thief.
Yes, all locks can be defeated by a sufficiently determined and properly equipped thief.

Similarly a determined burglar can easily break into our homes.

Yet we still lock our doors.

Why? Because even though we cannot prevent all potential theft, we can easily take steps to encourage thieves to choose easier targets.

Choose the locking/security posture appropriate for one's environment. For some that may entail never leaving their bike unattended, and for others than may be just sufficient locking to make others bikes the more attractive target.

"Don't let Perfect be the Enemy of Good"

It cannot. The Gen 2 (Mastermind) is a completely new system.

As long as your e-bike works, no need for firmware update.

Actually, you can Microtune the Mastermind system using the handlebar remote as you ride

Replace the button battery in the display :)
This probably sounds dumb . Where do you find info on these things ? I see how I can use Mission control on my phone . Change my setting in each mode using the tune feature . Then save those presents by a specified name . With the ability to pick a preset from the phone before riding . However once I chose a preset -that's what the Bike will perform using . Unless I get on the Phone and change the preset from the Mission Control app. I don't see a way to change presets as I ride using the Set + - handle bar remote . It's limited to just scrolling . Based on my registered Serial number this is a 2020 Bike . Thanks in advance

My bike is. Creo, but AFAIK, you can’t change the assistance mid-ride on a 2020 model without a) using Mission Control, or b) using the BLEvo app.

Nice thing about the BLEvo app is you can purchase a remote (link to seller’s site from within the app) that will allow you to change the assistance in either 5% or 10% increments. I use it, and I’d not give it up easily.

My bike is. Creo, but AFAIK, you can’t change the assistance mid-ride on a 2020 model without a) using Mission Control, or b) using the BLEvo app.

Nice thing about the BLEvo app is you can purchase a remote (link to seller’s site from within the app) that will allow you to change the assistance in either 5% or 10% increments. I use it, and I’d not give it up easily.
THANKS . I have that app already and have used it to try eco in 5% on up . As well as play with the other end . 5% in eco seems to negate the excess bike weight . I used it last night to ride 10 miles . There were spots in the ride where it seemed I had no assistance at all . I had the total motor assistance at 35% . It's easy enough to play around with during a ride . You just have to stop and get the phone out . Again thanks for clearly that up . Much appreciated

THANKS . I have that app already and have used it to try eco in 5% on up . As well as play with the other end . 5% in eco seems to negate the excess bike weight . I used it last night to ride 10 miles . There were spots in the ride where it seemed I had no assistance at all . I had the total motor assistance at 35% . It's easy enough to play around with during a ride . You just have to stop and get the phone out . Again thanks for clearly that up . Much appreciated

Well, as I said (though perhaps not clearly), you don’t need to use your phone to change the assistance via BLEvo. You can purchase the O-Synce remote (about $75 USD) to control BLEvo, and step the assistance up or down while leaving your phone in your pocket or bag. The phone will even audibly inform you of the assistance percentage each time you press a remote button, if you wish.

Just a side note. I set My Vado 4 Eco at 5% and 35% . It worked good taking off but once I reached around 16 mph it was all me . So I changed it today to 100% factory default using the same 5%. I was able to get a good workout and still have extra support to 21 MPH and on hills . I went 23 miles and it still shows the battery is at full charge . I'm sure that will change when I turn it back on . Definitely extends the range though and like I said. You get a good workout

This probably sounds dumb . Where do you find info on these things ? I see how I can use Mission control on my phone . Change my setting in each mode using the tune feature . Then save those presents by a specified name . With the ability to pick a preset from the phone before riding . However once I chose a preset -that's what the Bike will perform using . Unless I get on the Phone and change the preset from the Mission Control app. I don't see a way to change presets as I ride using the Set + - handle bar remote . It's limited to just scrolling . Based on my registered Serial number this is a 2020 Bike . Thanks in advance
Mastermind e-bikes (Gen 2), that is all 2022 Vado/Como/Tero (Mastermind TCD) and selected SL e-bikes (Mastermind TCU) allow Microtune, that is, live adjustment of the assistance parameters as you ride. Specialized e-bikes of Gen 1 do not allow Microtune.

There is a possibility to use the BLEvo app and the O-Synce remote on the bar to emulate Microtune on older Spec e-bikes. (this is what rayray says).

Mastermind e-bikes (Gen 2), that is all 2022 Vado/Como/Tero (Mastermind TCD) and selected SL e-bikes (Mastermind TCU) allow Microtune, that is, live adjustment of the assistance parameters as you ride. Specialized e-bikes of Gen 1 do not allow Microtune.

There is a possibility to use the BLEvo app and the O-Synce remote on the bar to emulate Microtune on older Spec e-bikes. (this is what rayray says).
I'm not going to worry about it . I can do 30 presets . So if I want more or less assist . I can stop for 30 seconds and change it . Depending on where I am riding . Bike paths are nice and smooth . Country roads as I am sure you have experience are somewhat harder against rolling resistance . Thanks again

I'm not going to worry about it . I can do 30 presets . So if I want more or less assist . I can stop for 30 seconds and change it . Depending on where I am riding . Bike paths are nice and smooth . Country roads as I am sure you have experience are somewhat harder against rolling resistance . Thanks again
Of course you can. I have no other option either. My situation is different: I often ride in gravel groups and there is no notion of "stopping for 30 seconds" as the group is lost meanwhile. So I'm getting me an O-Synce in September. (No possibility to keep a smartphone on the bars with such kind of activity; I learned several expensive lessons).

Of course you can. I have no other option either. My situation is different: I often ride in gravel groups and there is no notion of "stopping for 30 seconds" as the group is lost meanwhile. So I'm getting me an O-Synce in September. (No possibility to keep a smartphone on the bars with such kind of activity; I learned several expensive lessons).
I pretty much ride the E-bike alone . That's why we got one for my wife . Group rides I use a regular non electric like everyone else . That bike is a Trek Hybrid that I put gravel tires on . Started with Byways and switched recently to WTB. I think it's called a resolve or something like that . Name escapes me at the moment . I bought them from a fellow rider who used them once and thought they were to hard to pedal on smooth roads .I'll check out that O-Synce . Thanks for the tip

I've put a little time on the Como mule, outfitted with panniers front and back. I've lowered the front panniers to the middle crossbar, think that helps handling and opens up the top pizza rack to hold something. Kind of wish now I hadn't trimmed it. Still liking the 36t chainring and don't see any reason to change it. Sometimes it is a little short on high speed runs but that is pretty infrequent. I think there is more power because of the leverage of the smaller chainring. I changed from the 11 spd to the 9 spd. I do not miss the 11 spd and really see no need for it, even loaded with groceries. The rear cog is a 12-36 and think it works well, there is another option of 11-36, I have no experience with this particular cog on this bike but I do not miss the 11t. I'm back to the thudbuster LT with the Brooks B67. I don't like that the thudbuster moves the seat back and I can't adjust it back to the original position but the ride makes up for that. The saddle is sprung also btw. The thudbuster has a 7 and 9 elastomer so it is on the stiff side. I'm 180#.

G'day.

I've had my 2022 Vado 4 for five months now and it's been a dream. After a year (and 3800 miles) with my Aventon Level, which is a fantastic bike for the price, I decided to move up to a mid-drive bike with a more interactive and versatile user interface. I particularly like the continuous cadence display on the main screen as that's my primary metric for getting the most out of my rides. I've put on about 1900 miles since last March and I've had no warranty-related issues at all, but several flat tires. I've recently installed Tannus Tire Armour as I ride alone in pretty remote areas, so hopefully that one issue will be mostly resolved (fingers crossed!). I did upgrade the saddle to another Specialized model that's a bit more padded. I also swapped out the grips for more ergonomic ones with larger flanges for palm support. Finally, I added an MIK-compatible trunk bag from Basil. While the Specialized literature says the rear rack is MIK-ready, I still had to buy the extra mounting adapter plate to mount the bag securely. I do ride frequently in auto traffic and have added a rear view mirror and clamp-on lights that have flashing capabilities. I do wish the lights provided by Specialized had the capability to operate in a flashing mode for more visibility during the day. I will note that the recent Mission Control app update caused some issues but they seem to have worked out. Specifically, when viewing My Rides the maps did not appear after the update. After fiddling around several times with Location permissions on my phone, the maps started to appear again. Not really sure if it was something I did or if another update came through automatically. In any case all is well and I'm looking forward to many more miles of great rides. Here's a pic overlooking the South Platte River north of Denver along one of my favorite routes.
Vado bridge.jpg

Majority of EBR Forum owners of Specialized e-bikes ride either a Turbo Vado or a Como. This is natural, as these two major models have been designed for an average cyclist. Turbo Levo and Kenevo are technical ride stuff, discussed on e-MTB fora. Creo is for road cycling fanatics :)

It is quite interesting American versions of Vado are in the majority Class 3 bikes, while the only speed Vado model for Europe is Vado 6.0. Does anybody own the 6.0? Canadians have to be content with the 32 km/h versions, unluckily. (The Australian have to be content with 25 km/h).

I'd like you friends to talk more about your experiences with your Specialized e-bikes, for good and for bad. Please post pictures if you like.

I fell in love with my 2017 Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0, which I bought in Autumn 2019. (I thought of buying a 2019 or 2020 model that would have stretched my budget too far). There are four components and a feature I am extremely happy with in my 2017 model:
  1. Rigid fork - (2020 update: married with Baramind BAM suspension handlebars; and the Kinekt 2.1 suspension seatpost)
  2. 29x2" Elektrak tyres (Autumn 2020: Replaced with Schwalbe Smart Sam 47-622 for some off-road capability while staying silent on-road)
  3. TRP Zurich brakes (the top of the class)
  4. 600 lm headlight and very strong rear light, illuminating the number plate as well. (2020 update: Following the overhaul from the BLOKS to the TCD-W display, the headlight was replaced by Specialized with a 1700 lm Supernova M99 Pro).
The feature is the beautiful grey colour.
View attachment 45130

When I first mounted the Vado, I was positively shocked with the bike's geometry. So sporty! What I love about my Vado is the agility and the acceleration, both being fantastic, especially in the Sport mode. It is a lot of fun to ride fast!

Now, it is your turn to brag about your Specialized e-bikes!
From video I viewed the other day, I'm so impressed, and that's not easy.
Every feature is so well integrated.
The hydro formed frame design is simply gorgeous. And the price seems to be about perfect. Only took
237 reviews to find the Holy Grail.
Cheers

Just so I understand -
is it saying changes in settings can't be done when moving?
Or just preferred operation.
Cheers

Just so I understand -
is it saying changes in settings can't be done when moving?
Or just preferred operation.
Cheers
The change in the settings can be done as you ride with Mastermind e-bikes because there is an easy sequence of keystrokes on the remote to do that (MicroTune).

With older Vado (to change assistance on the fly) you need either to:
  1. Have a smartphone running BLEvo on your handlebar and do the changes with your finger, or
  2. Install O-Synce and control BLEvo with O-Synce as a remote. The smartphone can be kept in your pocket.
Otherwise, it is necessary to stop the bike, produce the phone from the pocket, do the assistance change and continue riding.

Back