Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Did another 15 mile family ride after work today on the new Vado 5.0 IGH. Finally sunny and 62-64 F. Stopped to share an ice cream on the way.

We parked at our LBS to start our trip. My 21mm pedal extenders came in so my clown feet could fit properly on the pedals. Figured I’d put them on before the ride. Unfortunately, the new Vado pedals don’t have wrench flats. They tighten with an Allen key behind the crank arm. So I upgraded sooner than planned.

Picked up a new set of Specialized Bennies Platform Pedals. So much better than the stock sandpaper style nylon pedals. Even better that my feet finally fit!

8DD14F66-F85E-4679-97BF-0018222C1EF7.jpeg

Unfortunately, the new Vado pedals don’t have wrench flats.
Many premium pedals don't have wrench flats. Using the 6 or 8 mm hex wrench allows you changing pedals as easily as changing your shoes! :) As I and brother pretty often swap our e-bikes (and he rides clipless!), pedal replacement has become my best mastered bike chore :)

What is your shoe width (inches or mm)?

Many premium pedals don't have wrench flats. Using the 6 or 8 mm hex wrench allows you changing pedals as easily as changing your shoes! :) As I and brother pretty often swap our e-bikes (and he rides clipless!), pedal replacement has become my best mastered bike chore :)

What is your shoe width (inches or mm)?
In US it’s size 13 width 4E. If this table is accurate that is a EU size 48 with a width of 13.2 vs standard width is 11.2.

Shoe sizes are annoying but it’s an Extra Wide.

Edit - I also get why they use that style and think it’s convenient. Just not in my specific use case. When I was pedaling before, if my foot was in a comfortable spot I was either hitting the crank all the time or had 1/3 of my foot hanging off the pedal.

In US it’s size 13 width 4E. If this table is accurate that is a EU size 48 with a width of 13.2 vs standard width is 11.2.

Shoe sizes are annoying but it’s an Extra Wide.

Edit - I also get why they use that style and think it’s convenient. Just not in my specific use case. When I was pedaling before, if my foot was in a comfortable spot I was either hitting the crank all the time or had 1/3 of my foot hanging off the pedal.
You still didn't tell me what the width of your shoe was ;) Greater than 4.5"?

Mine's the Flatbed trailer.
Hi Escaped Ape-
I bought an axle for my 2022 Vado through the Roberts Axle Project website, to pull a little Schwinn cargo trailer.

Their website has a pretty thorough listing of various bikes and the axle specs associated
with them.

Attachments

• 8F9DD7D1-D3EC-45DB-86CA-8074EA8808A5.jpeg
    8F9DD7D1-D3EC-45DB-86CA-8074EA8808A5.jpeg
    541.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
That's When You Need To Replace A Derailleur Cable In Your Vado...

1651189311491.png

The derailleur cable in my Vado got worn. That is, it started to tear at the derailleur attachment point. The original cable housing might be reused (or not). Replacing the cable with its housing requires dismantling the e-bike to re-route the cable inside the frame!

View attachment 121658
The derailleur cable in my Vado got worn. That is, it started to tear at the derailleur attachment point. The original cable housing might be reused (or not). Replacing the cable with its housing requires dismantling the e-bike to re-route the cable inside the frame!

I hope it works out for you and by the way how are things going in your area
Also in you experience would the IGH system on Vado 5 work for some trail riding I can’t travel with 2 bikes so thinking the Vado is best choice for multiple uses

View attachment 121658
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 How much is that costing you?
Isn't this a relatively new bike?

how are things going in your area
Business as usual although slower.

Also in you experience would the IGH system on Vado 5 work for some trail riding I can’t travel with 2 bikes so thinking the Vado is best choice for multiple uses
I do not want to give advices, so only my personal thoughts here:
If you look to proper MTBs, all of them are chain/derailleur. IGH is less efficient and it is heavy. A field repair of a tyre with the IGH is more complicated as well. In my opinion, IGH e-bikes excel in the urban environment, especially as commuters (no dirt, no maintenance).

Now, riding a heavy (and little suspended) e-bike is doable on easy trails. I ride forest fire-roads with my Vado pretty often. As long as the trail is really easy, no issues. It it becomes more difficult (like, tree-roots, sand, damaged trails) then I regret I rode into the forest... Meet a fallen tree blocking your route and you're done!

1651194514897.png

I was so irritated with that obstacle I used my superpowers to lift the Vado and carry it over the tree! (Not recommended).

To be absolutely honest: My Vado SL 4.0 with Redshift ShockStop suspension and removed front fender fares 100x better in the forest than the heavy Vado! (And you can lift the SL easily). Currently, I try to limit my "big" Vado rides to sealed roads and gravel only.

How much is that costing you?
A "thank you".

Isn't this a relatively new bike?
30 months, 13,000 kilometres.

Business as usual although slower.

I do not want to give advices, so only my personal thoughts here:
If you look to proper MTBs, all of them are chain/derailleur. IGH is less efficient and it is heavy. A field repair of a tyre with the IGH is more complicated as well. In my opinion, IGH e-bikes excel in the urban environment, especially as commuters (no dirt, no maintenance).

Now, riding a heavy (and little suspended) e-bike is doable on easy trails. I ride forest fire-roads with my Vado pretty often. As long as the trail is really easy, no issues. It it becomes more difficult (like, tree-roots, sand, damaged trails) then I regret I rode into the forest... Meet a fallen tree blocking your route and you're done!

View attachment 121666
I was so irritated with that obstacle I used my superpowers to lift the Vado and carry it over the tree! (Not recommended).

To be absolutely honest: My Vado SL 4.0 with Redshift ShockStop suspension and removed front fender fares 100x better in the forest than the heavy Vado! (And you can lift the SL easily). Currently, I try to limit my "big" Vado rides to sealed roads and gravel only.

A "thank you".

30 months, 13,000 kilometres.
Thanks my wife wants the como 5 but she won’t be doing anything other ten gravel bike trails at the most so just trying to decide which way to go for me

Agree with Stefan. Currently have the IGH 5 and an analog MTB. I’m happier chain style off-road.

I’m braver than I am skilled on the MTB. I don’t need something heavier to manage. I fell sideways off an obstacle last weekend from about 5’ up and landed on my side and it deflected my knee inwards and sprained my knee. I don’t think I tore anything because it’s sore, not painful. And I can still walk fine (just using a brace anyway to help healing). I’d probably be having surgery right now instead if it was an eBike.

I digress. If I had to pick one bike for multiple uses, and you’re set on Specialized, I may do something like a Levo SL. Similar reason why Stefan prefers lifting the Vado SL (only 38 lbs). And much better suited for a trail.

Thanks my wife wants the como 5 but she won’t be doing anything other ten gravel bike trails at the most so just trying to decide which way to go for me
Oh. If it’s just Gravel that’s probably fine. You just have to be ok with the noise from the fenders.

Edit - I’ve ridden my Vado 5 through a gravel parking lot to get around a flooded spot on a paved trail (slow speed to not kick stones up into paint) but it rode just fine. I also have the Kinekt seat post, so the bumps weren’t bad at all.

Oh. If it’s just Gravel that’s probably fine. You just have to be ok with the noise from the fenders.

Edit - I’ve ridden my Vado 5 through a gravel parking lot to get around a flooded spot on a paved trail (slow speed to not kick stones up into paint) but it rode just fine. I also have the Kinekt seat post, so the bumps weren’t bad at all.
Thanks both of you for the information

I’m braver than I am skilled on the MTB. I don’t need something heavier to manage. I fell sideways off an obstacle last weekend from about 5’ up and landed on my side and it deflected my knee inwards and sprained my knee. I don’t think I tore anything because it’s sore, not painful. And I can still walk fine (just using a brace anyway to help healing). I’d probably be having surgery right now instead if it was an eBike.
Sorry to hear about your accident! Get on well soon!

1651197171909.png

I was very lucky on one of my recent solo forest rides. My big Vado has no real suspension, and it is very easy to crash unexpectedly (it is easy to lose the traction). Fortunately, my fall was soft and well controlled! (Always wear the helmet!)

1651197546782.png

On the other hand, I have been participating in many gravel group rides and as long as it was not true off-road, my Vado fared very well there.

Back