Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Thank you Marcela!
Same on my phone.

Art, you must have missed my Tero 3.0 demo ride & review :) My verdict is the following:
-- Don't go with the 3.0, it is too limited. Unless your budget is really limited; the 3.0 is still an excellent e-bike. I only hated the Suntour coil fork and smallish battery.
-- If I were to buy a Tero that would be the 5.0 EQ
-- If I were to buy a mountain e-bike that would be Turbo Levo Comp Alloy :) Or, a heavily discounted Turbo Kenevo! (My wet dream).

Fortunately enough, I have no storage space for any N+1! :D
Yep, missed it. May have been traveling w/o internet. So any Tero owners join the owners club thread after your review?

Everybody check your kickstand. Both my vado and Como were loose. Don’t think spec uses loctite on them.
My brother has loctited my Vado kickstand more than a year ago :)
Funnily enough, Vado SL kickstand holds "as is".

I lost my front TRP brake on the Sunday ride. Several turns of the adjustment screw brought things back to the normal. I need to see my brother for brake fluid flushing soon, though.

Today I lost a screw from my right shoe cleat. Made getting out a bit difficult. The shoe turns, the cleat is loose and turns and does not disengage. I seem to be having a string of THINGS!!!

Today I lost a screw from my right shoe cleat. Made getting out a bit difficult. The shoe turns, the cleat is loose and turns and does not disengage. I seem to be having a string of THINGS!!!
Safety issue Kahn! I’m recommending getting it fixed before using it again. You don’t need any injuries from a crash.

Safety issue Kahn! I’m recommending getting it fixed before using it again. You don’t need any injuries from a crash.
It is fixed and all cleats tightened. Luckily I easily found a replacement screw for the spd cleats.

But it also teaches me to look more carefully when something seems "not quite right." When I got back the other day, I was sure that I had a pebble or similar stuck in the shoe's ridges or even cleat area. There was this clicking sound when I walked. Now, in hindsight, it was a loose screw (not the one in my head) and not a piece of grit.

I don't need the rear light so it would be a matter of removal, at a minimum cutting and taping off the wires and sealing the hole where they come out.
I would like to use the rear light on my Racktime, switching from my seat. I cant seem to find an answer for the wiring to use for my como 5.0. Lbs doesn’t know either. The one sold on Racktime website is not available

I don't have a local LBS, but finally contacted a Specialized dealer that is a 3 hour round trip from me to check on availability. They said they didn't know if and when they would get a 2022 Vado. They did confirm they have a previous year crimson M/L Como 3.0 in stock listed for $2950. I'm not sure if they would come down on that price.

Last edited:
I moved all my Como stuff from the front rack to the rear rack I swiped off my Sequoia. Putting all that heavy stuff on the front tire really kills the handling. Thought about removing the pizza rack altogether as it’s not real aesthetically pleasing on the front end.

Also reinstalled the thudbuster, if you got it might as well use it. Then installed the granny bars again to compensate for the seat being further back then removed the granny bars as not being something.

Still liking the 36t chainring.

Pedal on. Spring is right around the corner.

edit--the step through is real nice when 'stuff' is hanging off the back and the added weight precludes leaning the bike over for mounting.

Last edited:
I don't have a local LBS, but finally contacted a Specialized dealer that is a 3 hour round trip from me to check on availability. They said they didn't know if and when they would get a 2022 Vado. They did confirm they have a previous year crimson M/L Como 3.0 in stock listed for $2950. I'm not sure if they would come down on that price.
Perhaps you might try order the e-bike at the Specialized web site and make use of the Specialized Delivery? (These new options are still unclear to me).

As Stefan suggests, maybe order the bike via the website? Looks like both Vado 4.0 and 3.0 are available in M & L sizes if you're not picky about color choice.

You can either pick up at your nearest Specialized dealer or the bike can be hand-delivered by a "Specialized expert". In both cases the bike would be fully assembled.

As Stefan suggests, maybe order the bike via the website? Looks like both Vado 4.0 and 3.0 are available in M & L sizes if you're not picky about color choice.

You can either pick up at your nearest Specialized dealer or the bike can be hand-delivered by a "Specialized expert". In both cases the bike would be fully assembled.
Of course, I really need test ride the 2021 Como and 2022 Vado to see if I like them and which feels right for me. I did find another Specialized dealer that is a 3 hour round trip in a completely different direction that actually has a 2022 Vado 4.0 in L in stock along with the same Como 3 as the other dealer, although the Vado is black, and I prefer the other 2 colors, and the Como is identical yet $300 more than the other dealer. There's a red and a white 2022 Vado 4.0 L that is more like a 7 hour round trip away.

I have both a como and vado. I don’t know how the current models compare to the older but prefer the como with a rear rack and without the granny bars and a thudbuster seat post. I’ve installed raised handlebars on the Vado also. So both bikes ride similar but prefer the como as it is still a little more upright. Also switched the 48t chainring for a 36 which works well and I don’t really give up any speed.

I have both a como and vado. I don’t know how the current models compare to the older but prefer the como with a rear rack and without the granny bars and a thudbuster seat post. I’ve installed raised handlebars on the Vado also. So both bikes ride similar but prefer the como as it is still a little more upright. Also switched the 48t chainring for a 36 which works well and I don’t really give up any speed.
I have a Como as well. What was the reason for changing the chainring to 36t? How does having the 36t benefit you?

Puts the chain closer to alignment with the chainring and I don't use assist all the time and rarely go faster than 20 mph. Though I'm thinking 38 or 40 might be better as I can be on the smallest sprocket pretty easy and with those numbers you can easily get into the upper 20 mph with the class 3. And I really don't think the motor can pull very well above about 26 mph with the 48t. If you calibrate the speedo you'll find it's usually off 2-4 mph and people think they're going up around 30 mph but that's not really happening.

If I change it out again I'll probably look for a 40t.

You see, Marcela. Presently (winter time) I'm quite happy with the 38T chainring on my Vado 5.0. Whenever I'm riding into hard terrain, I'm glad I can have such great torque on my rear wheel (the 48T was an overkill, and that was meant for fast commutes on pavement in the warm season, on the flat, preferably in Turbo mode). However, I tried a little race with a friend of mine as of today. I outspun myself! Perhaps I will replace the chainring with the 42 or 44t one in the Spring.

A Story Of An E-Bike KOM :)

1644830888266.png

Fancy a 7-km long, straight and wide gravel fire-road in a forest (that specific road of the Bolimów Forest is named "The Bike Freeway"). Fancy a 14 km/h wind blowing right in your face. I was on a big group ride on last Saturday. As I got relaxed too much, I missed the fact the leading group escaped! When I noticed that, I started chasing them on my Vado. Bear in mind, they were riding in the drops while my Vado is equipped with flat bars!

What a fun! I, for instance, overtook a guy riding a flat bar bike but he rode in aero-bars. I just just swished on his left! And I was on a good way to catch up with the leading pack, only I missed my way on the junction :)

An e-bike KOM has been a nice bonus :) I wouldn't be able to match the racers but no doubt my Vado gave me the edge :)

Another nice e-bike KOM of Sunday:
420 m sprint 2.2% grade uphill, 53 seconds, average segment speed of 28.6 km/h.
Oh, these full power Specialized e-bikes are mighty beasts!

@Marcela: I feel I must replace the 38T chainring with a 42T one. As good as the smaller chainring is, I'm losing on sprints with traditional roadies! :)

Back