Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I've changed the thread title to recognize the existence of Specialized Turbo Tero, as this model is based on the 2022 Vado frame. Any objections?

What was your decision about the chainring eventually @Marcela?
I can only tell you my 13t cassette cog has worn out in 2,000 kms with the 38T chainring. That's because I'm mostly staying in the 10th (of 11) gear with the small chainring. My Vado is at a mechanic now.

What was your decision about the chainring eventually @Marcela?
I can only tell you my 13t cassette cog has worn out in 2,000 kms with the 38T chainring. That's because I'm mostly staying in the 10th (of 11) gear with the small chainring. My Vado is at a mechanic now.
I like the 36t for my use, which is a lot of unassist. With the assist it could be a little small but manageable. For a straight chainline, the 4th from smallest cog is inline with the chainring or one either side. That is going to help the chain I believe if you can keep the chainline straight. So if you move up a couple teeth on your chainring it is going to move it to a smaller cog and possibly inline with the front chain ring. Don't know how many you'd have to add to move it, then you compromise your large cassette gear useage. Moving from the 48t to the 36t via the calculator changed my cassette useage 2 cogs without considering easier pedalling which might have added another. (edited, thinking backwards)

This is all just bandaid on bandaid. The whole thing needs to be redesigned for the power of an ebike. I don't know if anybody has ever verified if it is the lubrication, lack of chain strength, or gear teeth issue.

This is the calculator I like. you can see what effect changes have.

'Cadence at speed' is the one I like.

Last edited:
Stefan, what is your solution? You're going through drivetrain like potato chips.
Marcela: As I am really happy with the 38T chainring, I took a manly decision. I bought several spare 11 and 13T cogs. Actually, it is the 13T cog that gets worn first on my Vado 5.0. And that's the cog that allows me to stay with my gravel cycling groups at the proper speed. My Vado rear wheel is at the LBS right now for the cog replacement, to be collected on Wednesday.

My last gravel group ride was disastrous a little bit. All six guys were strong cyclists. I should have taken a spare battery on the ride. However, the most frustrating part was the worn 13t cog. My cadence in the 15th was too high, and it was too low in the 11th! I cannot always count on my brother to do the service for me! Fortunately, the closest competent LBS (a Cannondale dealer) is just 4 km away!

Now this! :)
I have been always afraid to lose the charging port plug on a Vado battery, and that happened on last Sunday. Frustrated, I came back home to find the magnetic plug on the floor. Damaged? No! Actually, that little charging port cover is of very nice design! The "floating" part is mounted in its hole by a tiny plastic anchor. Just a short while, and the plug got fastened again! It is a miracle design as I have never actually lost any of the charging port plugs in two years!

Stefan, you can get those port plugs really cheap like less than $5 usd.

Here is some info on chain sizing, thought interesting to share. If I was to get another ebike or heavier cargo bike I'd certainly investigate larger chain solutions.

• 1/8″ (3.2mm) – some of the bikes with a single rear sprocket
  • 3/32″ (2.4mm) – some of the bikes with a single rear sprocket, bikes with 5-8 rear sprockets, and derailleurs
  • 11/128″ (2.2mm) – bikes with 9-12 rear sprockets and derailleurs
  • 5/32″ (4.0mm) – freight bicycles and tricycles.
In other words, if you have a heavy-duty cargo bike or tricycle, you need a 5/32″ chain.

Drivetrain*External Width, inExternal Width, mmInternal Width, in
5 / 6 / 7 / 8 speed9/32″7.1 – 7.3mm3/32″
9 speed1/4″ – 9/32″6.5 – 7.0mm11/128″
10 speed1/4″ – 9/32″6.0 – 7.0mm11/128″
10 speed narrow7/32″5.88mm11/128″
11 speed7/32″5.5 – 5.62mm11/128″
12 speed13/64″5.3mm11/128″
And everytime you increase the number of gears available the width of the teeth are reduced....

Last edited:
Stefan, you can get those port plugs really cheap like less than $5 usd.
Where?

And everytime you increase the number of gears available the width of the teeth are reduced....
Yes. However, changing the number of speeds requires replacing the drivetrain, which is very expensive. Therefore, I'm not going to replace my 11-speed SLX/Deore XT (Vado) or 10-speed Deore/Deore XT (Vado SL).

Besides, just collected my Vado from a local bike mechanic with the 13t cog replaced. Planning long rides for the coming weekend!

See mission control app has an update v2.9.0. Hope it’s something good like ability to order take-out of something.
My Mission Control (which I hardly use) is being updated automatically from Google Play Store. Is there any possibility to see the app version number in the app itself?

Open the app, under settings under contact in little light colored letters. ver 2.9.0 build 108 looks like what mine says.
That is what mine shows, too. I see Play Store says that version was released on Jan 11, 2022. I'm not sure that I remember updating it within the last week!!

I'm looking for a rear fender off a Vado with the tail light and rack if anybody has one they are looking to rid themselves of, or trade for something.

Open the app, under settings under contact in little light colored letters. ver 2.9.0 build 108 looks like what mine says.
Thank you Marcela!
Same on my phone.
No objections ... but it's your thread, so you'll need a Tero now. Just for research purposes, of course. 😄
Art, you must have missed my Tero 3.0 demo ride & review :) My verdict is the following:
-- Don't go with the 3.0, it is too limited. Unless your budget is really limited; the 3.0 is still an excellent e-bike. I only hated the Suntour coil fork and smallish battery.
-- If I were to buy a Tero that would be the 5.0 EQ
-- If I were to buy a mountain e-bike that would be Turbo Levo Comp Alloy :) Or, a heavily discounted Turbo Kenevo! (My wet dream).

Fortunately enough, I have no storage space for any N+1! :D

Back