Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Greetings from Washington state USA. I am a new member. I so appreciate all the valuable information from from all of you. I feel like I know my bike inside and out. I have particularly enjoyed Stephan Mikes knowledge of the Specialized ebike models. I ordered a Vado 4.0 and my wife ordered a Como 3.0 in November 2020. Took delivery of the bikes in May 2021. It was a wait but worth it. Don't despair to you who are waiting for ordered bikes, my LBS tells me production is improving. My wife loves her Como. I have Comoized the Vado. At 71 my aggressive biking posture days have passed.

Greetings from Washington state USA. I am a new member. I so appreciate all the valuable information from from all of you. I feel like I know my bike inside and out. I have particularly enjoyed Stephan Mikes knowledge of the Specialized ebike models. I ordered a Vado 4.0 and my wife ordered a Como 3.0 in November 2020. Took delivery of the bikes in May 2021. It was a wait but worth it. Don't despair to you who are waiting for ordered bikes, my LBS tells me production is improving. My wife loves her Como. I have Comoized the Vado. At 71 my aggressive biking posture days have passed.
Welcome, from a Seattleite. I went with the road Aluminum Creo. I wanted the lighter weight and still like the additional hand positions but don't use the drops all that often.

Welcome. What was your approach to Comoizing the Vado?

Hi All - I own a Como 4.0 2020 Model. Love it, no big issues and at the point where I'm starting to think about upgrading to the shock seat post. Went to the LBS and noticed the 2021 Comos have the nice new fenders and tail light mounted on the rear fender. Asked the LBS and they said they can't order those yet. Has anyone been able to order those?

Another thought is I would just upgrade to a Como 5...but the Como 5 doesn't seem to have the nice new fenders. Specialized website is trash and offers nothing but older info from what I can tell. Anyone have a good link to somewhere that offers up the latest info on the new models?

I've also considered upgrading to a Vado 5.0 and "Como"izing it. Only issue I have there is the rear rack...I have a Topeak MTX Trunk bag with fold out Panniers. Looks like thats a no-go without some custom modifications. Correct me if i'm wrong.
You are wrong, all you need to use Topeak MTX bags/baskets with non MTX racks is the Omni Quicktrax Adapter shown below, also out of stock at the moment.

Take it easy with the Specialized site, things are crazy right now, little patience goes a long way. 2021 Fenders will likely be available this fall, right now through the month of July is when 2022 stuff is planned, hence the site not being updated and fenders unavailable.

You can change out a number of parts on the Vado, IE handlebars, even swapping wheels to the Como 27.5 wheels (that's what I run my studded tires on), it's all lego pieces at that point.

1624815047065.png

You are wrong, all you need to use Topeak MTX bags/baskets with non MTX racks is the Omni Quicktrax Adapter shown below, also out of stock at the moment.

Take it easy with the Specialized site, things are crazy right now, little patience goes a long way. 2021 Fenders will likely be available this fall, right now through the month of July is when 2022 stuff is planned, hence the site not being updated and fenders unavailable.

You can change out a number of parts on the Vado, IE handlebars, even swapping wheels to the Como 27.5 wheels (that's what I run my studded tires on), it's all lego pieces at that point.

View attachment 91434
Thank you for the info. Good stuff!

One thing I'd like to point out is the website. I have no issue with ordering. When I say the site is trash...perhaps that's too harsh... I mean it's generally not very well updated and maintained. It looks nice and seems to function fine but has old Vado photos, Vado images on Como info sites and vice versa. I have plenty of patients for waiting for stock and manufacturing, I have little to none for major companies not updating their websites appropriately. It's the bare minimum to keep a consumer base well informed with the appropriate information about their products.

Interesting, hadn't seen that about the wheels. Anything special there to accomplish this or just plug and play? I love the wider tires. Although if I stick with Como I had though about swapping to something with a bit more grip.

@Brendon@TBSM: The Racktime rack of Vado SL is obviously narrower than the one found on the "full" Vado. What would you recommend for reusing existing RackTime accessories?

@Brendon@TBSM: The Racktime rack of Vado SL is obviously narrower than the one found on the "full" Vado. What would you recommend for reusing existing RackTime accessories?
My Allant+7 has the narrow Light-It rack. If you have the Snap-It adapter you can adjust the prongs from narrow to wide. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 80384067-94B0-42D0-85DB-F341C36E2585.jpeg
    80384067-94B0-42D0-85DB-F341C36E2585.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 127
I used a crescent wrench but a 12mm should work. It’s kind of a tight thing to move.
I got an Odin trunk bag for my Vado SL 5 EQ. I did get the mounting prongs moved inward and it mounts fine. However, because the rack is narrow, the bag tends lean in the direction of the rails. It is securely attached, but I'm not too fond of the floppy look.

I got an Odin trunk bag for my Vado SL 5 EQ. I did get the mounting prongs moved inward and it mounts fine. However, because the rack is narrow, the bag tends lean in the direction of the rails. It is securely attached, but I'm not too fond of the floppy look.
It helps to adjust the prongs evenly. My Odin is relatively full with a light rain jacket, air pump, patch kit, extra tube, etc, which evens the load for the most part.

I don't know your rack shape/configuration but I had a Jandd rear bag on a too narrow rack on my road bike. I cut a small aluminum rod the width of the bag and attached it to a cross piece on the rack to support it where it overlapped the rack (and was floppy). I attached the aluminum rod with a metal tape meant to tape seams on heating duct work in my basement. More secure than regular duct tape. It worked fine. I rounded off the sawed ends with a file.

I have studied this a little more. The mounting pins under the bag are evenly spaced. The seams between the bottom and sides of my Odin bag are not very stiff, especially at the corners. When the bike is leaning on the kickstand, gravity takes over and the bag flops a bit to the side. Even when the bike is perfectly upright, the bag tends to lean because the corners are not very stiff and the bag is wider than the rack. I'll look for some thin plastic to insert around the inside perimeter of the bag to stiffen the sides at the corners. @kahn's fix would probably work too. A wooden paint stirring stick jammed diagonally between the bottom of the bag and the rack seems to help :cool:

Interesting, hadn't seen that about the wheels. Anything special there to accomplish this or just plug and play? I love the wider tires. Although if I stick with Como I had though about swapping to something with a bit more grip.

You can run a pretty wide tire on the stock 700c rim, before coming with the Trigger tires they cam with the huge Electrak. The stock Como wheels with stock 2.3 tires are, as a whole, smaller overall, there's room to run even a larger tire, maybe 2.6?

Yep, just use a wrench for leverage to move the prongs over. That said there are some Racktime bags and baskets that are only offered in the wide setting.
The racktime adapter that I use on my Vado 4.0 is already set to the narrow position. Are you saying that the SL's rack is even narrower?

@Stefan Mikes It is? The adapter for my Vado 4.0 is already set to the narrow position. If the SL is indeed narrower, it's not compatible with what I have and one more reason for me to remove the rack & fender and get a rack that works with my stuff.

Back