Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

@Stefan Mikes It is? The adapter for my Vado 4.0 is already set to the narrow position. If the SL is indeed narrower, it's not compatible with what I have and one more reason for me to remove the rack & fender and get a rack that works with my stuff.
Don't forget figuring out what to do about a rear light and associated wiring including possible dropping the motor to fish the wire out.

If the SL is indeed narrower, it's not compatible with what I have and one more reason for me to remove the rack & fender and get a rack that works with my stuff.
Why didn't you go with the non-EQ?
If I lived in dry climate, I would have done that myself.

P.S. Vado SL Racktime is 3.5" wide.

Don't forget figuring out what to do about a rear light and associated wiring including possible dropping the motor to fish the wire out.
I don't need the rear light so it would be a matter of removal, at a minimum cutting and taping off the wires and sealing the hole where they come out.

I don't have the bike yet, but the 5.0 ST only comes as EQ.
Our US 2020 Vado 5's are equipped with narrow Racktime racks. Our mech bikes have standard/wider Racktime racks. We can use our Racktime accessories on either rack width by moving the prongs/pins as detailed by @Dallant . Perhaps @Stefan Mikes Euro Vado is equipped with the wider rack?

Well that went... Half decent! He didn't manage to find the right cylinder but he helped with open and remove the lock.

Here's the cylinder I'm looking for, it seems.to be pretty common on US stores but I haven't yet found a european reseller that offers just the cylinder, not the whole reciever.
Huh. Whaddya know. I called the local specialized store, e-mailed the picture and they talked to ABUS who sent a replacement, should be here any day now. 30 EUR instead of the 110+ EUR option of replacing the whole top battery reciever.

As soon as I have the new cylinder and card I'll order a cafe lock and chain with matching keys. My plan is to do café lock and chain in combination with a D-lock for longer stays.

I've also been looking at ABUS alarms, anyone with experience on those?

Huh. Whaddya know. I called the local specialized store, e-mailed the picture and they talked to ABUS who sent a replacement, should be here any day now. 30 EUR instead of the 110+ EUR option of replacing the whole top battery reciever.

As soon as I have the new cylinder and card I'll order a cafe lock and chain with matching keys. My plan is to do café lock and chain in combination with a D-lock for longer stays.

I've also been looking at ABUS alarms, anyone with experience on those?
Good news, Robbin! Being owners of a Specialized e-bikes, we should always talk to a Specialized dealer. They are there to help.

Regarding your question on security: I own Abus Alarm 440 U-lock and use it. It works, although web reviews clearly demonstrate it is easy for the thief to muffle the alarm unless he's taken by surprise and escapes.

I recently purchased the following item. I have only tested it at home and so far no REAL field tests. It gives an initial alert and then goes very loud. I figure I will leave the unit in a front bag or pannier where it would not be noticed (no muffle). But then it is not a visible dissuasion to a potential thief.

SURPRISE! Full-power Vado is equipped with a 93 mm wide Racktime, and Vado SL comes with 89 mm rack.

How does one adjust the Snap-It or KlickFix adapter?!

SURPRISE! Full-power Vado is equipped with a 93 mm wide Racktime, and Vado SL comes with 89 mm rack.

How does one adjust the Snap-It or KlickFix adapter?!
That's the outside width of the rack, but the important measurement would be the distance between the slots that the pins fit into when you attach the adapter. The easiest thing would be to try a bag that fits on a regular Vado on a Vado SL and see if it works.

That's the outside width of the rack, but the important measurement would be the distance between the slots that the pins fit into when you attach the adapter. The easiest thing would be to try a bag that fits on a regular Vado on a Vado SL and see if it works.
I have tried a box that fitted the "big" Vado. It does not fit the SL!

...because I didn't understand how it worked :D
Once I found the adapter name was Snapit, it was easy to find the video showing how to adjust the adapter. You just need a wrench. Snapit adapter can be adjusted to both rack widths.

Racktime Box.jpg

Video:

...because I didn't understand how it worked :D
Once I found the adapter name was Snapit, it was easy to find the video showing how to adjust the adapter. You just need a wrench. Snapit adapter can be adjusted to both rack widths.

Video:
There must be a difference in the European rack then because the Snap-It adapter that I use on my Vado 4.0 is already set to the narrower position.

I recently purchased the following item. I have only tested it at home and so far no REAL field tests. It gives an initial alert and then goes very loud. I figure I will leave the unit in a front bag or pannier where it would not be noticed (no muffle). But then it is not a visible dissuasion to a potential thief.

Please let us know how this works out!

Please let us know how this works out!
Actually, the paranoia is probably worse than the chance of theft since I rarely leave the bike out of sight. Two weeks ago, we went on a out-of-town trip with the bike on a hitch rack. That was when I felt most vulnerable and I did not have the device then. The bike was on the rack when we walked away twice to check out restaurants and I admit I was uncomfortable but did not have this device yet. But then again, the bike was still there. It is a Kuat rack and has a cable which did wrap the bike. But we know how durable cables are - NOT! Then closer to home we stopped at an art gallery and the bike was out on the street and boy, was I uncomfortable. So I added a chain and u-lock :eek:

The last bike I had stolen was when I was about 15 and it was in an apartment building basement in the Bronx! That was many, many years ago.

Back