Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

As a relatively new member of the Specialized Bike group, I'm not exactly clear on the differences or similarities of their wide range of e-bike offerings.

I'm not a member of the Vado/Como set. I opted for an Aluminum Creo. But I'm still trying to figure out what's what. So be easy on me. I come from mostly a road bike history and have not used the mt bike in quite a while and have not done anything really gnarly since Moab many years ago.

Is the Vado pretty much a similar (same) geometry as the Creo but aimed at those wanting a more upright position or are there other things or am I completely offbase. I also realize that there are more powerful motor options in both the Vado and Como families. There have been hills where I've wanted a bit more oomph and maybe I should consider one of these other options.

Thanks for any info.

Road cycling world is a very specific thing to me; as far from my thinking as Vado is for you. It is hard to assign a simple bike category to Vado. "Hybrid" (between road bike and MTB), "Active Lifestyle", or "General Purpose" bike descriptions might come helpful. Vado belongs to the same category as its direct competitor, Trek Allant+. These e-bikes have been conceived from the very start as the pure form of an integrated battery/mid-motor e-bike, not really reflecting existing categories such as road bike or MTB.

Let us look to Vado SL first. The lightweight cousin of both Vado and Creo is in fact a "fitness e-bike" that may be ridden unequipped and has no suspension (if we do not count the Future Shock stem on the 5.0). Yes, Vado SL can be ridden for long distances on the same internal battery and range extender as in Creo. Provided you are a fit person, it gives you similar performance as the Creo does.

Full power Vado is a different animal. It is beefier, equipped with a strong motor (Vado 5.0 is equipped with a MTB motor, Vado 4.0 has a pretty strong motor, too, and 3.0's motor is still far more powerful than the SL 1.1). More powerful motor means more battery charge is needed. All Vado/Como e-bikes share the same format of removable battery (460, 500 or 600 Wh, depending on the model); the replacement or spare battery is always 600 Wh and can be used on any Vado or Como. What is different to Creo is the wired TCD-W display giving you five pages of configurable ride data (including cadence, rider's power, calories burnt, etc); and a handlebar remote.

Mid-drive motors of Vado/Como are from Brose, modified, equipped with electronics, firmware and software, and branded by Specialized. You own a Creo with Specialized branded Mahle motor, and the electronics and software are similar for Vado/Como so it is something you are familiar with already. Special thing about Specialized/Brose motors is these are virtually silent (no whirr you experience on Creo whatsoever!), and these are the only silent mid-drive motors present in the market. Performance ranging from 90 Nm torque/550 W peak power/380% assistance (5.0) through 72 Nm/520 W/320% (4.0) to 50 Nm/280% one found on 3.0 (not sure about the peak power of that 1.2E motor).

I'm not an expert on bike geometry. Unmodified Vado requires a sporty, forward riding position; for that reason many of us have raised their handlebars with a stem riser for increased ride comfort.

Vado feels to me like e-bike Ferrari. Don't expect to ride it unassisted (it is a heavy e-bike, some 53 lb) but once powered, it is very nimble and can accelerate like a rocket as long as you put a little more energy in pedalling and use the derailleur in wide range from cold start to high speed. I often enjoy that game: while I'm riding my Vado slowly, I'm overtaken by a fast traditional roadie. Almost automatically, I switch the assistance to Turbo and start pedalling vigorously at high cadence, gradually shifting up. I could overtake the roadie just for fun but I only follow him instead. Typically, the guy cracks at the first ascent encountered :)

Many Vado owners claim the e-bike gives them too much of assistance, so many of us play with Mission Control or BLEvo app to dramatically reduce the assistance and save on battery for long rides. (If you rode Vado 5.0, you would need to halve the assistance to get to the Creo level).

Purpose. Anything from grocery shopping through leisure riding through touring to riding mild off-road such as forest fire-roads or even easy trails. Standard issue Vado is a road machine: replacing the stock tyres with, say, Schwalbe Smart Sam enables Vado to ride on-road and off-road. It is important to say Vado (especially 4.0 and 5.0) has inherited many MTB components, such as thru-axles, powerful brakes or drive-train.

Now I have talked a lot. Is it possible for you to organize a Vado demo ride in your area?

Me on a touring trip.

Last edited:
Now I have talked a lot. Is it possible for you to organize a Vado demo ride in your area?

Me on a touring trip.
Thanks for all that info and background. Amazing that they still offer the Vado 3/4/5 at the same time.

And I checked the local shop the other day and all the Vado's are backordered. I don't know if they have any demo models for test riding. When I tested the Creo, it was a for-sale bike and after two test rides, I purchased it. I tested on some steep hills near the shop and home and I knew it was not a super powerful motor but I figured I could work with it. And I have. But for longer, hilly rides, I do need the Range Extender (which fortunately I found about 40 miles away).

It is probably a good thing I got the Creo when I did. Those, too, are backordered. Stock DEPLETED!

@PaD, are you around?
@Stefan Mikes
Check out my new bike. Has password protection to lock the bike. Cruise control, battery regen(I-PAS Technology), throttle max speed 25.9 mph. Measured against police radar. Only 1 mph off. Radar says 24/25 mph.
Yamee XL 750w. Has 48V 14.5 ah battery hidden in the frame. Great range and very fast. Hydraulic disc brakes 180 mm front and back and 8 Speed Shimano Shifter. Very smooth shifting and easy to adjust. Front suspension 20" by 4" Fat tires. Front light, and brake light. Also USB port that will charge your phone located neat the handle bars.

Attachments

• 20210614_122629.jpg
    20210614_122629.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 20210614_122610.jpg
    20210614_122610.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 178
I made a tentative booking of a Vado SL ST 4.0 EQ size M, color White Sage as of today. Expected delivery: This December :D
The long delays on delivery remind me of an event when I worked in a NYC pro camera shop in the 80’s. We were a dealer for an industrial photo print dryer. One designed for higher volume photo labs. They were built to order and it took 6 months to get.

One day fashion assistant came in. To inquire about acquiring one of these dryers. I told them that it would take six months from time of order. When asked to double check I called the manufacturer while they were still there. Yup. Six months. This was before t(e days of cell phones, so they left I presumed to discuss it.

Six months later whey were back and asked to buy the print dryer. I told them, again, that it wou”d take six months. They said, “Isn’t that what you told us six months ago?” “Yes”, I said. “You asked, but didn’t make an order.“ To my Monty Pythonesque joy, I said, “Would you like to place your order? I can have the dryer for you in six months.”

Stefan, you are doing it it the right order. The shop won’t have a laugh at your expense. I’ve been telling this story for more than 35 years. You’ve taken that joy away from the LBS. Congrats

@Stefan Mikes
Check out my new bike. Has password protection to lock the bike. Cruise control, battery regen(I-PAS Technology), throttle max speed 25.9 mph. Measured against police radar. Only 1 mph off. Radar says 24/25 mph.
Yamee XL 750w. Has 48V 14.5 ah battery hidden in the frame. Great range and very fast. Hydraulic disc brakes 180 mm front and back and 8 Speed Shimano Shifter. Very smooth shifting and easy to adjust. Front suspension 20" by 4" Fat tires. Front light, and brake light. Also USB port that will charge your phone located neat the handle bars.

Kam, bro: unavailable and illegal in Europe. Now I'm looking for a low powered ebike 🙂

Stefan, you are doing it it the right order. The shop won’t have a laugh at your expense. I’ve been telling this story for more than 35 years. You’ve taken that joy away from the LBS. Congrats

Stefan:

Congratulations! I knew you'd like it once you took it for a test ride.

Jeff C
Guys, the email from Specialized Warsaw was signed by Mateusz M, whom I personally know and like. He is an MTBer, and it makes him different to haughty roadies who also work there. He wrote me other parts I requested (TCD, Range Extender, 220 mm RE cable and SL Y cable) would be easily obtainable. I was promised to get a discount as a regular, and return of any fees I brought for demo ride ebike rental.

I was sure Specialized Warsaw Brand Store was the best in the city. Even their servicing has been excellent.

Kam, bro: unavailable and illegal in Europe. Now I'm looking for a low powered ebike 🙂
Not street legal here in USA either. I seen a video of a guy riding one in the UK. $1700.00 here in USA. That's including taxes + S&H. Great for off road riding. Loving them Fat tires too. None compare to my Vado though. Still it's a really fun bike to ride. Cruise control is sweet.

Thanks for all that info and background. Amazing that they still offer the Vado 3/4/5 at the same time.

And I checked the local shop the other day and all the Vado's are backordered. I don't know if they have any demo models for test riding. When I tested the Creo, it was a for-sale bike and after two test rides, I purchased it. I tested on some steep hills near the shop and home and I knew it was not a super powerful motor but I figured I could work with it. And I have. But for longer, hilly rides, I do need the Range Extender (which fortunately I found about 40 miles away).

It is probably a good thing I got the Creo when I did. Those, too, are backordered. Stock DEPLETED!

interestingly the creo and vado SL both seem readily available here in northern california, the stock finder on specialized's website shows most combinations available somewhere within 50 miles.

maybe supplies are starting to open up!??!

some of the more exotic acoustic bikes can only be found hundreds of miles away.

Back