Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Meanwhile...

View attachment 88075
One of the derailleur pulleys in my Vado has worn out. As it is difficult for me to describe what the "wear" means in this case, I'll try to show a photo of the bad pulley once I have replaced it.

Did you notice that the two pulley wheels are different and marked accordingly: guide pulley and tension pulley?
And they are directional.
So one should watch out when replacing them.

Did you notice that the two pulley wheels are different and marked accordingly: guide pulley and tension pulley?
And they are directional.
So one should watch out when replacing them.
I'm aware of it, TS25, thank you! Besides, long time no see!

So, I had my bike shop sell my Creo E5 and my Vado to buy my Creo Carbon Comp Evo. Bought that when the E5 sold and now that the Vado sold, I am getting a small Como step through as a “visitors bike” or for when my wife or I just feel like riding a cruiser. I test rode one and they are quite fun!

So, I had my bike shop sell my Creo E5 and my Vado to buy my Creo Carbon Comp Evo. Bought that when the E5 sold and now that the Vado sold, I am getting a small Como step through as a “visitors bike” or for when my wife or I just feel like riding a cruiser. I test rode one and they are quite fun!
awesome! trying to talk my wife into something similar (i also ride a creo comp carbon!) but not really sure if it'll carry her and our 3 year old up a 20% hill. she's pretty active and fit but hasn't ridden a bike... ever, really.

Como is Great Cruiser bike . My wife's ride. Do you know if you can share batteries with your guest bike?

Como is Great Cruiser bike . My wife's ride. Do you know if you can share batteries with your guest bike?
No, if I still had the Vado I could but is OK, it will likely get short mileage use. If I am going any distance, the Creo and range extender should get me near 100 miles based on the current use I am seeing.

I’m heading over to my LBS to see if they know anything about Abus keyed alike system. We have a Trek and a Specialized shops nearby and hopefully one of them will know what to do.

Exactly what I did, have both the Vado and Como 5. Crazy how much different they are because of the riding position. Both of mine have been great reliable bikes.

I’m heading over to my LBS to see if they know anything about Abus keyed alike system. We have a Trek and a Specialized shops nearby and hopefully one of them will know what to do.
i had great service ordering keyed alike locks online from propel.

found them after much screwing around calling local “dealers” and emailing online distributors. not sure if the battery lock on the bike is compatible.

i had great service ordering keyed alike locks online from propel.

found them after much screwing around calling local “dealers” and emailing online distributors. not sure if the battery lock on the bike is compatible.
So the stuff will be shipped to your home?

i received it a few weeks ago - it took 2-3 weeks, locks have to get made in germany. i got a u-lock and a very heavy chain with integrated lock to match an existing u-lock i have, all the same keys. nice !
I checked online and I can't order a frame lock. Bummer. May have to go this route. Maybe a Bordo twin pack.

NVM, it's called Shield.

I ended up ordering the Pro Shield 5950 NR BK. I know I’ll need the frame mounting kit for this bike.

Last edited:
I did not realize there was a way to order the ABUS keyed-alike locks on Propel's website so I called them and left a voicemail. It took a couple of tries, but they did call me back and I have now ordered a frame lock, a chain to add a bit more security, and a Bordo 6000 folding lock with the alarm through Propel. I purchased my 2019 Vado 3.0 in April (it was still new in the box) with the idea that I would start doing all my around-town errands on my bike. I live in a small town and even though we don't have big-city crime problems here, I can't replace it so until my locks arrive I am using it for pleasure riding only.

Stefan, I only realized e-bikes were a thing a few months ago. I needed something like this 20 years ago when I was commuting by train to the San Francisco Bay Area, but there was nothing like this available. The best I could do back then was a 10-year old, and very banged-up, Toyota that I left at the train station. I spent about a month doing research (thanks to you and everyone else here for all your input, by the way) and decided mid-drives were the way I should go. Once that was decided, I then settled on Specialized's Turbo Vado 3.0 as my first choice, and preferably the 2019 because of the power and slightly better components than on the 2020. I was surprised to find my bike on e-bay at the end of March. It was brand new and was being offered by a bike shop that had 5 of them in stock. I hesitated at $2,999, but about a week later they dropped the price another $200, plus free shipping, so I decided to grab it. I am really enjoying it and am now planning some fun trips to do with it here in central California. I do most of my riding in Eco, although I do step it up to Sport when crossing busy highways, but I have only had it in Turbo once and that was to see how fast I could go. I was only get it up to 25mph, but I am sure it was because I am not in shape, not because the bike won't go faster. A friend of mine who rides regularly and is very fit got it up to 30mph in Turbo as soon as he was on it, and did so in only about 50 meters, so it is definitely capable. Now I just have to get in shape, but that was the reason I decided to get it.

I learned Jim about "speed" Vado by Court's review and video on EBR, and started dreaming of such e-bike. The EU S-Pedelec Vado I bought was a terrific bargain and the e-bike has turned out my "best" one. That is, one I like riding the most.

Regarding the top speed, reaching -- and maintaining -- 28 mph requires tremendous power (practically maxing the motor out -- which requires quite a lot of own input). Honestly, I can ride faster than 25 mph only in Turbo mode and downwind (slight decline helps, too), and it is nothing wrong with the ebike; the motor assists you to the maximum rated speed.

I learned Jim about "speed" Vado by Court's review and video on EBR, and started dreaming of such e-bike. The EU S-Pedelec Vado I bought was a terrific bargain and the e-bike has turned out my "best" one. That is, one I like riding the most.

Regarding the top speed, reaching -- and maintaining -- 28 mph requires tremendous power (practically maxing the motor out -- which requires quite a lot of own input). Honestly, I can ride faster than 25 mph only in Turbo mode and downwind (slight decline helps, too), and it is nothing wrong with the ebike; the motor assists you to the maximum rated speed.
I’m having trouble getting past 17 mph even at turbo mode. Must be the wind.

Back