Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

When I responded I had no way to know your level of experience, which is obviously very high. It's just that a lot of people buying e-bikes haven't ridden a bike in years (maybe since they were a kid) and seem unfamiliar with what to do. These are some of the people that I see with their seats way too low that I always want to stop and explain why that's a bad idea. :rolleyes:

That said, I agree that your dealer's behavior is inexcusable and he should be reported to a higher level.

As for misogyny being a factor, when I went with my wife, who has owned a bike most of her life, to a local Trek store when she was ready to buy her first e-bike, the salesman kept looking at me when he was talking up the bike and I had to say to him "talk to her -- it's her decision!" That said, this was an isolated incident by an older part-time employee (happened to be ex-military) and everyone else we've dealt with there couldn't be nicer to both of us.

@rochrunner I agree with your explanation of the cause for hard shifting, backing off on the pedaling before shifting and for a longer time is of much greater importance on an ebike because there is a delay from the time you backoff on the pedaling and the time the motor assist cuts off, during that time, even though you have backed off or stopped pedaling the motor still has the drive train under a heavy load. In another post I mentioned backing off on the pedaling until you hear the freewheel ratcheting so you know the motor has cut off. It sounds like the clunking that @GaleL may be more serious that that, but it is something to try. That said, I still get a clunk every now and then on my Vado 4.0 when shifting, especially when shifting to a smaller cog in the rear, but making sure to back off on the pedaling with a longer pause than on a conventional bike has helped me reduce the hard shifting. I even swapped out my rear derailleur to an XT and tuned it precisely myself, but still have to back off pedaling with a longer pause to avoid it. My wife’s Vado 5.0 has the same condition occur if she shifts while the motor still has the drivetrain under load, so does my Trek Super Commuter.
@GaleL As for the damaged seat post, that seems like an “amateur hour“ salesman, vs. an experienced bike mechanic, mistake. He didn’t loosen the seatpost clamp enough before twisting the seat to try to raise it. Also on the new seat post they need to be sure to grease it properly before installing it.

Last edited:
@GaleL As for the damaged seat post, that seems like an “amateur hour“ salesman, vs. an experienced bike mechanic, mistake. He didn’t loosen the seatpost clamp enough before twisting the seat to try to raise it. Also on the new seat post they need to be sure to grease it properly before installing it.
Exactly! He didn't loosen it enough. He thought he could get away with it. As well, I didn't see any evidence of grease on it - not that I should.

So what’s wrong with an older or ex-military person?
Didn't mean any offense. I had actually met him once over lunch with a friend. He was a retired Colonel and had a macho attitude that rubbed me the wrong way. As for being older, I'm 74 and will admit to having friends with outdated attitudes toward women (watch most any movie from the Mad Men era to see what I mean).

When I responded I had no way to know your level of experience, which is obviously very high. It's just that a lot of people buying e-bikes haven't ridden a bike in years (maybe since they were a kid) and seem unfamiliar with what to do. These are some of the people that I see with their seats way too low that I always want to stop and explain why that's a bad idea. :rolleyes:

That said, I agree that your dealer's behavior is inexcusable and he should be reported to a higher level.

As for misogyny being a factor, when I went with my wife, who has owned a bike most of her life, to a local Trek store when she was ready to buy her first e-bike, the salesman kept looking at me when he was talking up the bike and I had to say to him "talk to her -- it's her decision!" That said, this was an isolated incident by an older part-time employee (happened to be ex-military) and everyone else we've dealt with there couldn't be nicer to both of us.
That's misogyny! Men who might become misogynists include:
- young and old
- those who hate or do not respect their mothers
- those who have a long-time grudge against even one woman
- those who lack confidence or are socially inept
- those who hate people in general
- those who are impotent
- those who think women are stupid

Some men might exhibit misogyny to older women like me, but not towards younger women.

It might be true that the older generation assumes that in a husband and wife team, the man has the money or more money than the woman, so the salesman talks to the man and ignores the woman. Very rude and ignorant! I would snap my fingers and say, "Hey, guy, I'm over here! Don't ignore me!" I did, by the way, raise my voice to the store manager because of his bad attitude and childish behaviour.

If my seat is a little too low right now, it's because I was worried that I might lose my balance due to my current recovery from hip replacement surgery. I know it needs to be higher, but that will happen when I'm ready for it.

In any case, the manager of the store who served me was a misogynist who treated me like a third-class customer.

To be honest, I haven't ridden a bike for over 2 years due to the pain leading up to the surgery, which is due to an misdiagnosis by my new (at that time) MALE doctor, since I brought up the topic of misogyny, incompetence,
That’s something you should report to Specialized via an email, and perhaps a post on their social media! They should be changing your service location immediately. I think Canada might have a reasonable Consumer Affairs bureau too.
Thank you! I will contact Specialized and look into contacting the Consumer Affairs Bureau, if there is one.
and lack of diligence.

I haven't been having much luck with men lately! Hahahahahaha...

Didn't mean any offense. I had actually met him once over lunch with a friend. He was a retired Colonel and had a macho attitude that rubbed me the wrong way. As for being older, I'm 74 and will admit to having friends with outdated attitudes toward women (watch most any movie from the Mad Men era to see what I mean).
Definitely no offence taken here, rochrunner. I'm sure you didn't mean to offend him either. All is good. Thank you for your thoughtful replies. Honestly, I really do appreciate the effort you made in making your replies and ensuring that I didn't misunderstand them. And I also appreciate your understanding and commiseration. I have been feeling very upset since Friday when I picked up the bike, and also Saturday when I discovered something wrong with the gears / shifter. Although I don't know the technical details of how bicycles work, (I've never had time to look into it.) I know how to use them. Perhaps e-bikes are a different "animal." This is my first experience with them. I'm 71. Thank you.

Well for anyone who's struggling to find the right axle for a Thule baby carriage for the Turbo Vado 3.0 2020 it is "20110733". I learned that on my third attempt, but now closed my first project on the bike.

And one surprise; it's made by the Robert Axle Project but sold as a Thule original part.

That’s something you should report to Specialized via an email, and perhaps a post on their social media! They should be changing your service location immediately. I think Canada might have a reasonable Consumer Affairs bureau too.
Report? OK, a very, very brief summary of a recent telephone conversation I had with "Rider Care" of Specialized.
"Each and every dealer of our product is an independent dealer who carries our products. Although they are authorized Specialized Dealers, we have no control over their business practices. If there were to be numerous complaints lodged against the same dealer, we would need to review those dealer's business practices and adjust our authorization of that specific dealer to carry our brand".

Those are almost verbatim the very same words used by a previous experience with a "Big 3" auto manufacturer with issues specific to a dealership's poor performance and abuse of my car. That in the end, I was told, "You'll need to go to an alternate dealership if the one you used is problematic".

I went to 4, no resolve, Lemon Law enacted, monies refunded, end of the story.

Same with ANY bike dealer (LBS), as a matter of fact, any business. The proprietor may be the most efficient, diligent, professional, and capable person you ever met, but how can those desired traits be cloned and mirrored to the employees he/she hires to continue the reputation built? Next to impossible in this day and age, very, very rare.

We might all be able to share similar experiences and trade war stories, good and bad, but the reality is consumers need to be as proactive as possible to protect their rights, otherwise, we potentially get screwed and in a losing proposition. Sure, lots of you (and me) have phenomenal stories about the most positive of experiences and we all are happy about those good ones, but it sure seems like nobody gives two flying fx**$)@ about customer service anymore.....or I'm becoming a cranky old fart.

Report? OK, a very, very brief summary of a recent telephone conversation I had with "Rider Care" of Specialized.
"Each and every dealer of our product is an independent dealer who carries our products. Although they are authorized Specialized Dealers, we have no control over their business practices. If there were to be numerous complaints lodged against the same dealer, we would need to review those dealer's business practices and adjust our authorization of that specific dealer to carry our brand".

Those are almost verbatim the very same words used by a previous experience with a "Big 3" auto manufacturer with issues specific to a dealership's poor performance and abuse of my car. That in the end, I was told, "You'll need to go to an alternate dealership if the one you used is problematic".

I went to 4, no resolve, Lemon Law enacted, monies refunded, end of the story.

Same with ANY bike dealer (LBS), as a matter of fact, any business. The proprietor may be the most efficient, diligent, professional, and capable person you ever met, but how can those desired traits be cloned and mirrored to the employees he/she hires to continue the reputation built? Next to impossible in this day and age, very, very rare.

We might all be able to share similar experiences and trade war stories, good and bad, but the reality is consumers need to be as proactive as possible to protect their rights, otherwise, we potentially get screwed and in a losing proposition. Sure, lots of you (and me) have phenomenal stories about the most positive of experiences and we all are happy about those good ones, but it sure seems like nobody gives two flying fx**$)@ about customer service anymore.....or I'm becoming a cranky old fart.
Thank you! Yes, we do get screwed. I realized that I was vulnerable due to severe sleep deprivation when I entered the store to pick up my bike. I had been nervous about it for two weeks. That day. That manager's bad attitude. It was nothing to look forward to. He didn't disappoint. I feel sorry for the owner because, as you put it, he may be the most conscientious, diligent, and professional person anywhere whose dealership's upward success and reputation has been undermined by one or two unprofessional employees.

I'm glad you got your money refunded on your car after what must have been a lot of your time lost by attempting to get customer satisfaction and nothing but hassles and stress. And that's after they screwed up. Sheesh!

I will contact my credit card company if this isn't resolved by the proprietor on Tuesday, their next day open.

Customer service has gotten worse. Striving for personal and professional excellence seems to be an interest of older generations. Bored, blasé, discourteous 30- and 40-somethings abound in customer-service-oriented positions and, unfortunately, they dislike their jobs and serving the public. You can't get a "Hello, how are you?" or even a smile out of them. They're so wrapped up in themselves. This kind of attitude has become pervasive, like a plague. Bad vibes everywhere. It's too common. Don't get me started on human error. The public has no choice but to accept it, so the perpetrators get away with it. Nobody knows what good customer service is anymore.

Thank you again for the commiseration. This kind of thing is a terrible experience to go through alone.

Last edited:
Well for anyone who's struggling to find the right axle for a Thule baby carriage for the Turbo Vado 3.0 2020 it is "20110733". I learned that on my third attempt, but now closed my first project on the bike.

And one surprise; it's made by the Robert Axle Project but sold as a Thule original part.
Hey great to post info like this! - deserves it’s own thread to make it easy for others perhaps. I’ll start posting mine as well for example “Project: Turbo Vado SL Roof Rack / Carrier”. I’ve spent considerable time eliminating parts options. Actually the “Boost” axles on the Specialized bikes bit me also , leading me to Robert Axle Project as well for 12mm X 110mm. The only hiccup is I couldn’t verify the pitch bc I don’t have the bike yet.

I guess you need a longer rear axle to attach the hitch ?

Hey great to post info like this! - deserves it’s own thread to make it easy for others perhaps. I’ll start posting mine as well for example “Project: Turbo Vado SL Roof Rack / Carrier”. I’ve spent considerable time eliminating parts options. Actually the “Boost” axles on the Specialized bikes bit me also , leading me to Robert Axle Project as well for 12mm X 110mm. The only hiccup is I couldn’t verify the pitch bc I don’t have the bike yet.

No, you need the threaded bit on the non drive side of the bike so you can attach the hitch to the bike, like this:

Attachments

• FS0603.jpg
    FS0603.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 154
No, you need the threaded bit on the non drive side of the bike so you can attach the hitch to the bike, like this:
Interesting they attach in that manner. It’s illegal here to carry kids in those here in Japan, but we do have huge cargo trailers. The attachment point is dead center over the top of the rear wheel though, I think they have a tighter turning radius. These baby trailers would be good for touring in certain areas though.

Interesting they attach in that manner. It’s illegal here to carry kids in those here in Japan, but we do have huge cargo trailers. The attachment point is dead center over the top of the rear wheel though, I think they have a tighter turning radius. These baby trailers would be good for touring in certain areas though.
That's like the Burley Travoy, I think that's what you're describing?

Attachments

• 1-Travoy-Black-MAIN-900x900.jpg
    1-Travoy-Black-MAIN-900x900.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 151
@GaleL: Let me only talk about the derailleur "clunk". Please try this technique: While riding, stop pedalling momentarily, shift, restart pedalling lightly. There should be no clunk whatsoever. Only if it is when you have not pedalled - something is wrong. Bear in mind the motor acts with enormous torque on the drive-train, and it is the "loading". Suspending pedalling for a brief moment before shifting should make things work quiet. (Despite of my riding experience, there are situations when I cannot avoid derailleur clunking, and I know I did it wrongly again). Good luck!

@robbin: all such things can only be serviced by a Specialized dealer. The TRP Zurich brake shifters on Vado 6.0 are equipped with braking sensors, so depressing the brake lever sends a signal to the STOP indicator. Many things could have happened there, and only trained technician can detect the failure. (That's why I buy bikes from authorized brand LBS; you are free to ask for service at any Specialized LBS but you're going to pay for it).

The pitch on the thule

As mentioned above the Thule axle incorporates a nut and bolt for me to fasten the trailer hitch to. In my case the pitch was 1.0 and the total length 199 mm.

I've asked the locksmith to order the lock, let's see in 2 weeks when it arrives. I'm based in Stockholm, which is slowly turning into quite a great bicycle city.
Well that went... Half decent! He didn't manage to find the right cylinder but he helped with open and remove the lock.

Here's the cylinder I'm looking for, it seems.to be pretty common on US stores but I haven't yet found a european reseller that offers just the cylinder, not the whole reciever.

Attachments

• IMG_20210622_123422.jpg
    IMG_20210622_123422.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 147
Well that went... Half decent! He didn't manage to find the right cylinder but he helped with open and remove the lock.

Here's the cylinder I'm looking for, it seems.to be pretty common on US stores but I haven't yet found a european reseller that offers just the cylinder, not the whole reciever.
Are these possible to use unlocked, or do they lock automatically when inserting the battery?

Hi All - I own a Como 4.0 2020 Model. Love it, no big issues and at the point where I'm starting to think about upgrading to the shock seat post. Went to the LBS and noticed the 2021 Comos have the nice new fenders and tail light mounted on the rear fender. Asked the LBS and they said they can't order those yet. Has anyone been able to order those?

Another thought is I would just upgrade to a Como 5...but the Como 5 doesn't seem to have the nice new fenders. Specialized website is trash and offers nothing but older info from what I can tell. Anyone have a good link to somewhere that offers up the latest info on the new models?

I've also considered upgrading to a Vado 5.0 and "Como"izing it. Only issue I have there is the rear rack...I have a Topeak MTX Trunk bag with fold out Panniers. Looks like thats a no-go without some custom modifications. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Back