Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Our Vado 5s were equipped with 120 link chains, the CN-HG601 as I recall. They shift smoothly with a good range of movement in their medium cage derailleurs. I used the CN-HG701 for their first replacement chains, purchased through an online Euro bike shop. Mine has been modified with a wider range cassette and longer chain, but my wife's is still a 120 link chain.

Many Asian manufactured bike components seem unreasonably expensive here in the states...😕
Prices are higher because Our President got us a better trade deal. Unfortunately with Specialty items like specific Chains not made in USA ,We have to pay more . Amazon doesn't help either . They have such control of Googles first page. Also control of what they will allow sold etc. That the small guy has to charge more because they are paying more in Cost.

I find that in some cases if I search Google pages 3, 4 5 --------etc . I often find deals . Like My Helmet from Smith : $260.00 But found a retail listing from Moosejaw on page 3 of google . Where previous year colors were 1/2 off . I also Got another Fall Close-out of 15% off . Free shipping in 2 days . $112.00 delivered . Got in Friday . Same thing with KMC Chains for the 10E size I need : Buy 1 get the 2nd 50% off . So I got 2 chains that were listed at 48.00 each @ $75.00 for both . Turned out they were located just on the Other side of Lake Michigan from Me . So Regular shipping was free and I got them overnight, I found that deal on page 8 of google. Searching the Stock number vs name. I might add that this retailer is actually high. But in this chain case it was a fair deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices are higher because Our President got us a better trade deal. Unfortunately with Specialty items like specific Chains not made in USA ,We have to pay more . Amazon doesn't help either . They have such control of Googles first page. Also control of what they will allow sold etc. That the small guy has to charge more because they are paying more in Cost.

I find that in some cases if I search Google pages 3, 4 5 --------etc . I often find deals . Like My Helmet from Smith : $260.00 But found a retail listing from Moosejaw on page 3 of google . Where previous year colors were 1/2 off . I also Got another Fall Close-out of 15% off . Free shipping in 2 days . $112.00 delivered . Got in Friday . Same thing with KMC Chains for the 10E size I need : Buy 1 get the 2nd 50% off . So I got 2 chains that were listed at 48.00 each @ $75.00 for both . Turned out they were located just on the Other side of Lake Michigan from Me . So Regular shipping was free and I got them overnight, I found that deal on page 8 of google. Searching the Stock number vs name. I might add that this retailer is actually high. But in this chain case it was a fair deal.
Good suggestions... another strategy is to search for like-new used items. ;)

Last edited:
Good suggestions... another strategy is to search for like-new used items. ;)
Call me old fashioned but giving your local shop a call before going online is a nice gesture even if they don't have what you're looking for. Those lights are expensive to keep on and every dollar helps. Totally understand if it's not in someone's budget but the gesture of giving the brick and mortar the chance is worth something.

It really stings when someone shows up with something new, especially if you can get your hands on it. I don't get offended when someone wants to price match, at least they're giving me a crack at a sale.

It's raining. The rear wheel of my Vado is ready to be collected at LBS. It needed trueing, and the mechanic told me the wheel must have got a massive hit some day (not easy to true it). Meanwhile, I replaced the front tyre with the original Electrak 2.0. Why? The Specialized tyre is slick but it remains soft and grippy even at low temps, which cannot be said about Smart Sam. Moreover, Electrak has very very low rolling resistance; I had issues to accelerate my Vado to really high speed on Smart Sams. Since I plan no off-road travels with my Vado during the cold season, I welcome Electraks back!

Electrak 2.0 Again.jpg

For friends who worry too much :) The clamp is only touching the rubber here, not the rim!

I'm showing from German threads two Brose drive S motors opened due to a torn belt.
Both times the belt was torn again shortly after replacing the first belt with a new 'normal' Gates belt you can buy and which has the correct size. P.S.: the pictures were taken after the exchanged belt was torn, one of them reporting he had only four riding starts after the exchange until the belt broke!
Just as a warning because this happenend several times to riders who bought the 'normal' Gates belt for app. 10-12€ to save cost, Vado out of warranty.
So please don't try that. There is a set from Brose with a special Gates belt which is much stronger.

Attachments

• Brose S belt torn.JPG
    Brose S belt torn.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 307
  • Brose S belt torn 2.JPG
    Brose S belt torn 2.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
There is a set from Brose with a special Gates belt which is much stronger.
Would you know if the stronger special gates belt is also stiffer or has greater resistance? I ask because my new Como 5.0 motor seems to not have the power to help get me up to the 28mph which I could do on the previous motor.

I'm showing from German threads two Brose drive S motors opened due to a torn belt.
Both times the belt was torn again shortly after replacing the first belt with a new 'normal' Gates belt you can buy and which has the correct size.
Just as a warning because this happenend several times to riders who bought the 'normal' Gates belt for app. 10-12€ to save cost, Vado out of warranty.
So please don't try that. There is a set from Brose with a special Gates belt which is much stronger.
Good to know... I understand that the belt drive is the Achilles heel of the Brose motor.

1604544218430.png

Just bought the Como 4.0 OMG what a bike. I will need to up a trunk bike rack for 2 of these bikes any suggestions?
A generic topeak rear rack fits my Como3 perfectly and there are lots of bags that fit topeak racks, if that's what you're asking. I use a frame bag in the triangle myself, not a trunk bag.

If you mean a rack on your car trunk to carry the bikes, it's complicated. Search for "Carry Como" thread, and expect to read a lot ...

A generic topeak rear rack fits my Como3 perfectly and there are lots of bags that fit topeak racks, if that's what you're asking. I use a frame bag in the triangle myself, not a trunk bag.

If you mean a rack on your car trunk to carry the bikes, it's complicated. Search for "Carry Como" thread, and expect to read a lot ...
Good point. The question could go either way...😕

Just want to boast a little :) The rear-wheel of my Vado has been expertly trued by an LBS in my town. These guys are good even if they are arrogant a little bit (but many of them roadies are) :) Put new Michelin Protek Max tubes on and re-used the original Electrak tyres. This time, I used a lot of talcum to make the work easier, and surprised myself how easy the work had been :) After having the wheels cleaned, I'm surprised how little wear is on the tyres... How nicely and black they look like!

Can't wait for better weather to ride out!

A question: Do you think it would be reasonable to reduce tyre pressure for cold season conditions?

Just want to boast a little :) The rear-wheel of my Vado has been expertly trued by an LBS in my town. These guys are good even if they are arrogant a little bit (but many of them roadies are) :) Put new Michelin Protek Max tubes on and re-used the original Electrak tyres. This time, I used a lot of talcum to make the work easier, and surprised myself how easy the work had been :) After having the wheels cleaned, I'm surprised how little wear is on the tyres... How nicely and black they look like!

Can't wait for better weather to ride out!

A question: Do you think it would be reasonable to reduce tyre pressure for cold season conditions?
Tire pressures usually drop 1psi for every 10'F temp decrease in winter conditions. You may want to maintain your normal pressure. ;)

Last edited:
Test Ride on Electrak 2.0

A standard test route, 2 x 800 m along our Hunters' Street. The street is full of mild speed humps :) I rode in 70/70 Sport mode. My Vado rode as a dream. Plush ride, and the Vado felt like a nimble steed ;) The rolling resistance of the Electrak 2.0 feels like non-existent... And Vado is a road animal!

1604563337754.png

RideWithGPS (original tracking) gave Avg Speed of 25.1 and Max Speed of 38.3 km/h :)

Electrak 2.0 Test (1 of 2).jpg

So happy!

Electrak 2.0 Test (2 of 2).jpg

All ordered brake pads for my TRP Zurich have just arrived. A set from Germany (thank you @TS25!), and a set from UK.

Good to know... I understand that the belt drive is the Achilles heel of the Brose motor.
Well, it is both.
The sweet spot and the weak spot of the Brose motor.

The belt driven motor makes it the silent motor to be enjoyed. No other motor in the market is that silent.
But it seems that Brose is still struggling hard to figure out how to make it more reliable. That's why Brose asks all failed motors back during warranty and doesn't allow the LBS to open the motor before.

Brose says the belt should be exchanged after 15.000 km. But it is advised to change earlier. Trained LBS are allowed to belt exchange. The motor has to be taken off the bike for that, you need a special torque wrench for the tensioner (0,25 Nm only!), the little tensioning screw and the gasket should be changed. All this (but not the special wrench) is in the Brose belt replacement set.

Belt lifetime also depends on the stress the rider puts on the belt. Not shifting down before stopping so starting with high pressure shortens the life not only of the drivetrain components but of the belt too. So riders have reported torn belt after 4.000 km and others haven't had a belt problem until regular service (exchange).

Last edited:
Back