Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Are Brose motors indeed manufactured in Germany?
(Meanwhile, the brake pads haven't come yet, either from Germany or UK).
Brose motor production in Berlin/Germany started 2014:

but rumors spread that Specialized didn't mount the motor bolts with proper Nm causing the frame breaks.

No brake pads arrived yet? Special C19 times, hmm.
Can't ride your bike? Got nothing to do presently? Just pop in and help me gardening. 😇:cool:

Last edited:
Can't ride your bike?
Of course I can. The almost unused rear-brake pads are now in the front brake ;) Regarding gardening, it is you who could come to help me with gardening because I let my forest take care of itself :D

Now I consider going back to Electraks again as I don't plan to ride off-road in the Winter. The Specialized tyres are soft and grippy even at low temperatures. I need to let the mechanic true my rear wheel before (on Monday).

Ever curious how the Specialized motor looked like?

View attachment 70049
A look under the skid-plate. The only label visible is "BROSE Antriebstechnik. Do not open." The motor was surprisingly clean, with only some dust.
The frame was not cracked, and mounting bolts looked fastened properly :) The big black cylinder at the left hand side in the top motor is the horn.
Congratulations on your 1st anniversary. ;)

Glad to hear that all is well with your Brose motor and frame... check the mounting bolt torque specs to be safe.

Last edited:
Got the chain for my Vado 5 as replacement when I need it. Sometimes they are out of stock and one need to wait.

Attachments

• 112556CE-5000-4441-90BF-338906A5E3B0.jpeg
    112556CE-5000-4441-90BF-338906A5E3B0.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 295
  • 552D5A62-2317-4462-B1E4-ABFFC31D7C07.jpeg
    552D5A62-2317-4462-B1E4-ABFFC31D7C07.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 311
Got the chain for my Vado 5 as replacement when I need it. Sometimes they are out of stock and one need to wait.
80$? o_O
There must be something wrong with my screen. I couldn't recognise the gold plating of that KMC chain. :oops:

Are chains that expensive in the U.S.?
Here I'd pay app. 28€ for Shimano XT-chain CN-HG701-11 with 138 links, or 42€ for Shimano XTR-chain CN-HG901-11 with 138 links.

Indeed, the XT CN-HG701 (138 links) costs US$40 here. It is 36 EUR but the store in which I've checked the price is rather expensive.
The KMC chain Nxkharra showed would cost EUR 40 (USD 45) here, and it is silver indeed.

How many links does your chain count, @Nxkharra? It should be 126 links for Vado 5.0 (this is what I determined experimentally).

Last edited:
Indeed, the XT CN-HG701 (138 links) costs US$40 here. It is 36 EUR but the store in which I've checked the price is rather expensive.
The KMC chain Nxkharra showed would cost EUR 40 (USD 45) here, and it is silver indeed.

How many links does your chain count, @Nxkharra? It should be 126 links for Vado 5.0 (this is what I determined experimentally).
Our Vado 5s were equipped with 120 link chains, the CN-HG601 as I recall. They shift smoothly with a good range of movement in their medium cage derailleurs. I used the CN-HG701 for their first replacement chains, purchased through an online Euro bike shop. Mine has been modified with a wider range cassette and longer chain, but my wife's is still a 120 link chain.

Many Asian manufactured bike components seem unreasonably expensive here in the states...😕

Not sure about the links in my bike. The chain I purchased says 128 link (also says 136??). I also checked online prices. They are from $65 and up here in US. My LBS must be in a high side.

Last edited:
Not sure about the links in my bike. The chain I purchased says 128 link (also says 136??). I also checked online prices. They are from $65 and up here in US. My LBS must be in a high side.
You also Got the EPT vs the Standard E11 . That adds $10.00 At least that is what I found in Looking for teh 10 E vs 10 E EPT. Plus the Label the Store put on is Wrong : It's 136 Links Not 128

It turned out my Vado 5.0 with 48T chainring and 11-46T cassette needed 126 links. Your cassette might be 11-42T, meaning 124 links maybe. EDIT: I've read the posts of Sierratim and Marcela now.

Back