Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

What are you guys babbling about and what’s it got to do with ebikes.
Another thread down the rabbit hole.
Sorry but my brain has been numbed by the crazy cold weather here in the twin cities. Too cold to ride my bike so I end up babbling on internet forums instead. I'll try to show some restraint from here on out in hopes that this thread can climb out of the🐇hole it's fallen into.😉

Sorry but my brain has been numbed by the crazy cold weather here in the twin cities. Too cold to ride my bike so I end up babbling on internet forums instead. I'll try to show some restraint from here on out in hopes that this thread can climb out of the🐇hole it's fallen into.😉
I'm with ya Tedd, it got down into the 50's last nite and I wore a sweater this am to walk the dog...

I'm with ya Tedd, it got down into the 50's last nite and I wore a sweater this am to walk the dog...
I'm told that those in Minnesota consider temps in the 50's to be sun bathing weather...🤣

Now back to out regularly scheduled programing...

Here's the question from the OP: What Specialized e-bike do you ride? Pictures, please! :)
I want to own a Vado/Como so I can be part of the club...am I not allowed to post here o_O

Does everyone posting here have to have a Como/Vado? I doubt thats the case, especially now that it seems to evolved into a winter riding thread which you also police ;)

Im trying to follow the standards you have set forth but apparently there are two, its too confusing:rolleyes:

FWIW, I have owned several specialized bikes which I have loved (great customer support), I have 2 brose bikes and LOVE the turbo levo as well as the giant trance(both on my short list of my next FS eMTB)

Here is my specialized e-bike...gotta love the stem riser:cool:. and the 'ultimate' smart sams to boot:D:D
IMG_20201027_235130550_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Just to keep you informed: A Forum member from San Francisco asked me what Vado to buy in June this year. I told him: "If you can afford it, buy Vado 5.0, and you'll never regret it in your hilly city, for these reasons...". He thanked me today in a PM because he's just got his Vado 5.0 and can zoom up the biggest hills in SF without slightest trouble.

Now, if you are interested in a Vado/Como purchase, ask questions freely. Stay on-topic please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to keep you informed: A Forum member from San Francisco asked me what Vado to buy in June this year. I told him: "If you can afford it, buy Vado 5.0, and you'll never regret it in your hilly city, for these reasons...". He thanked me today in a PM because he's just got his Vado 5.0 and can zoom up the biggest hills in SF without slightest trouble.

Now, if you are interested in a Vado/Como purchase, ask questions freely. Just bear in mind, you are not the Club member yet, so stay on-topic please.
FWIW, Im a HUGE specialized fan and wouldnt hesitate to recommend a Vado (and actually have FWIW) but I would tell them about potential Brose Issues(which I have). Everyone I have met with a Vado LOVED it

Im also a huge Brose fan (own 2)

Last edited by a moderator:
The First Anniversary of My Vado

My traditional e-bike, Lovelec, which I bought in August 2019 was broken and awaiting in a shop for a new derailleur hanger to be sent from the manufacturer in October. I spent good part of the month shopping for a "Speed" Vado 5.0, of which I had read in @Court's review and which I could see in his videos. I was green at that time, no knowledge whatsoever save the experience I had gathered for two months of riding my hub-drive motor Czech e-bike. Yes, I had been watching the Electric Mountain Bike Network videos, and there was where I heard names of "Specialized", "Turbo", and "Levo/Kenevo" and learned about Brose motors and "minimalism and elegance" of Specialized designs. Yet it was Court's video that made me hungry and obsessed with Vado. Especially as I learned about the 28 mph/45 km/h capability.

I was green and knew nothing. I was not aware how rare the 45 km/h e-bikes had been in Europe. I didn't know the "2019" Speed Vado 5.0 e-bike offered with huge discount by the Warsaw LBS was actually a 2017 model on a clearance sale. I could not understand why the 2019 Vado 6.0 was so different. I was studying the Road Code and the Driver's Code to understand how I could register, insure and use a 45 km/h e-bike in my country.

October 30th, 2019 was the day. I went to the Specialized LBS in Warsaw by a local cab with a driver that is a friend of mine and could return home on my new Vado.

1604034074818.png

The October 30th, 2019 ride. 27 km at cold but sunny conditions.

Vado First Ride.jpg

On the first ride. My Vado was very different from what it is now at that time...

I was positively shocked with my first experience. It was the first time in my life I got a totally modern e-bike. It was so fast. The 2" tyres ensured good absorption of rapid ride vibrations. I went on a long trip of learning and modding my favourite e-bike. I admit the older BLOCKS display was a disaster that made my first 7 months of Vado rides somewhat sour. After total warranty-based overhaul of electronic in May 2020, my Vado became the best of the best! 4400+ km ridden so far and no single issue, really :)

I need to say I found good advice on the EBR Forum (a lot of good advice!) and gathered friends here. I want to thank you all for the year together!

Ever curious how the Specialized motor looked like?

1604061593044.png

A look under the skid-plate. The only label visible is "BROSE Antriebstechnik. Do not open." The motor was surprisingly clean, with only some dust. The frame was not cracked, and mounting bolts looked fastened properly :) The big black cylinder at the left hand side in the top motor is the horn.

Ever curious how the Specialized motor looked like?

View attachment 70049
A look under the skid-plate. The only label visible is "BROSE Antriebstechnik. Do not open." The motor was surprisingly clean, with only some dust. The frame was not cracked, and mounting bolts looked fastened properly :) The big black cylinder at the left hand side in the top motor is the horn.
So when I land in Warsaw....

Back