Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

ordered a srsuntor seat post for the sl, 27.2 on the sl and 30.9 on 20 vado

cover of the rear tail light feel off, had to super glue it back on

looks like the stock tires are continental, cause have a new set for the 20 vado the tread pattern looks the same

215 miles so far
My rear cover light has fallen off 2x as well. When I re-applied it the first time I did not use adhesive and now it's off again. Hopefully it is in the garage somewhere. How's the glue working?

So... The Trance E+ smallest cassette cogs have been replaced, nice!

Now this: It has turned out the Vado smallest cogs are damaged, too, and these need replacement. That's the weak point of owning N+1 e-bikes... I lost my patience and intend to ride my Vado in gears 1-9, leaving the 10-11 aside for a while. The expensive lesson learnt: Inspect your chain for wear (stretch) with a digital caliper and replace the chain when necessary before the sprocket disaster happens...

Great point Stefan.
This last Spring the lbs mechanic showed me that the chain had stretched a bit. Roughly 2600 mi (4200 km) but still shifting as smooth as butter. I went ahead with a new chain. It’s interesting because previously on non-powered bikes I never replaced chains unless there was a problem. Guess I’m more proactive not reactive these days.

Como 5.0. I inspect the chain and replace when it reaches .5. So, chain replaced at 1700 miles and again at about 3200 miles. At the second chain replacement the two smallest cogs needed replacement. Now watching chain stretch and cog wear more closely. To early to tell but it seems that the small cogs may not be well matched for the motor's torque.
Some of the excessive wear is due in part to they are just cramming to many sprockets in : Obviously things have to be made lighter thinner etc .To accommodate it all My Roadie Friends are having the same Issues We are having I'm sure the Motor adds to it as well. But it's not all the Motors fault. The same can be said for these mission control units : Computers are delicate : You knock a laptop off chair height and you'll likely damage something : We are riding Bikes up to 30Miles and Hour : Buying Seat springs to save our backs and Butts : These tiny units on the E-bikes technically take a lot of harsh treatment : They are delicate : I have 2 friends that have Phones mounted on Bikes : They both have had phone issues : Technology is Great : Unfortunately it's not very durable against the harshness of banging it constantly riding :

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the excessive wear is due in part to they are just cramming to many sprockets in : Obviously things have to be made lighter thinner etc .To accommodate it all My Roadie Friends are having the same Issues We are having I'm sure the Motor adds to it as well. But it's not all the Motors fault. The same can be said for these mission control units : Computers are delicate : You knock a laptop off chair height and you'll likely damage something : We are riding Bikes up to 30Miles and Hour : Buying Seat springs to save our backs and Butts : These tiny units on the E-bikes technically take a lot of harsh treatment : They are delicate : I have 2 friends that have Phones mounted on Bikes : They both have had phone issues : Technology is Great : Unfortunately it's not very durable against the harshness of banging it constantly riding :

Good points Barry.
That's why I have no intention of mounting my phone onto the handlebars. All the thousands of small bumps and vibrations will certainly have a negative effect on the device.

This. But I would be tempted to try to mount a phone cage in the lower water bottle boss in the step thru model. Side opening and secured use of the boss. But mine is in the bike bag's padded pocket.

This. But I would be tempted to try to mount a phone cage in the lower water bottle boss in the step thru model. Side opening and secured use of the boss. But mine is in the bike bag's padded pocket.
You see, each and every of my e-bikes is equipped with a Spigen Gearlock smartphone mount (it is based on the principle similar to the popular Quad Lock). Yet the phone I carry is certainly not any expensive iPhone. I stick to Honor phones (Android, by Huawei), which are relatively inexpensive (around 300 dollar), and surely unavailable in the U.S. (you know why) :) I admit I lost a single Honor: I didn't notice the mounting screw loosened in one of these mounts. Quad Lock with integrated iPhone case is certainly better but I would indeed hesitate to put a one-thousand-dollar smartphone on the handlebars...

1602993680486.png

Not a Vado, not a Como. In the defence of smartphone mounts I might say these handlebars are supported on a 150 millimeter travel suspension fork, and my smartphone sees a lot of rough terrain together with me :) Sometimes I think e-MTB handlebars have come from the Outer Space...

Last edited:
You see, each and every of my e-bikes is equipped with a Spigen Gearlock smartphone mount (it is based on the principle similar to the popular Quad Lock). Yet the phone I carry is certainly not any expensive iPhone. I stick to Honor phones (Android, by Huawei), which are relatively inexpensive (around 300 dollar), and surely unavailable in the U.S. (you know why) :) I admit I lost a single Honor: I didn't notice the mounting screw loosened in one of these mounts. Quad Lock with integrated iPhone case is certainly better but I would indeed hesitate to put a one-thousand-dollar smartphone on the handlebars...
But you always have a bag on your bike. And so do I. Not my wife . She doesn't want to take her phone or purse, so that empty lower boss would be a visable reminder.

With The Stems on The Vado The best mount I found was Rokform : I think that's what it's called : It mounts using the stem bolt : And a Super strong Magnet : But these days riding around with a $1000.00 Phone on the bike isn't the Best idea : Pocket or even in a Trunk bag to the best idea it seems. Or you could just not bring it and not worry about all that DATA > ;)

An Expensive Lesson Learnt

1603113021212.png

"You better care of the drive-train". (The photo is rather symbolic. The cassette is to be cleaned with the rear wheel removed). Yet the chain is to be de-greased, wiped, lubed and wiped again often.

Ta-dah!

Exactly one year ago, I prepaid 25% of the price of my Vado 5.0. The great adventure was to start on November 1st, 2019. 4247 km (2648 mi) ridden so far.

Taken into account so many negative reports on Vados, I shudder to think what might have happened to me :)

There's so much talking about the "motor noise". What's that? :D

I can hear road noise, wind... Where's the motor?!

Anyone of you riding Vado 5.0 with the Specialized 1.3 motor: Does your motor produce any noise?

There's so much talking about the "motor noise". What's that? :D

I can hear road noise, wind... Where's the motor?!

Anyone of you riding Vado 5.0 with the Specialized 1.3 motor: Does your motor produce any noise?

Of course, usually at full load of the motor there's always going to be noise, it's just a heck of a lot less than any other motor out there.

At the lower assist levels it's much quieter, but in full turbo you can definitely hear the motor work. Much like hearing the rider pant during efforts!

Back