Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

For sure. I rode 33.5 miles on my Como 4.0 last week using only about 25% of the battery. But....I had dialed down assist to 15% (was riding with a friend on an analog bike) with minimal climbing. Only 171Wh were used.
I enjoy riding my Vado in the 10-12 Wh/mile range. I adjust the power for enjoyment of the extra speed whenever I feel like it. This gives my Vado 5 a 50 mile range. My ‘Saturday ride‘ is approx 25 miles. Can’t fault the flexibility and power. This is in the US where I have a 28 mph support limit.

Looking at the KMC site, the only ebike chains I see are both 126 links. I to am looking for a spare chain for my Vado 5.0 for when the inevitable comes.

Shimano CN-HG601-11 or CN-HG701-11 do the job as well and cost less. Your choice.
Some more chain info here:

Quick links aren't chain specific. I would choose a reusable one. Some need a special tool to remove.

Lots of shops in Germany stock the Shimano HG601, HG701 or E8000 chain with 138 links and could send to PL for 10€ immediately.

Why not have a chain in your "spare parts department" ready at hand, together with other spare parts. Order parts in bulk to save postage.
That's my policy. And I think it's wise because parts tend to be out of stock from time to time.
This is what I use:

Attachments

• EC4FD690-85C4-4678-BCB8-2945A8EAC0B3.jpeg
    EC4FD690-85C4-4678-BCB8-2945A8EAC0B3.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 264
@TS25 or anyone who can answer that: Are these advanced chains directional? (I know what Wide-Narrow is but now I wonder about the rotation direction).

Talk with your LBS Barry.
Yes just wanted to share my local shop was recently able to order a 2nd battery (604) for my como and it arrived in about a week. I live in NC. I This has definitely cures my range anxiety 😊 and am definitely enjoying the extended range. One small gotcha was it did not come with the battery cover which I am now waiting for.

Really loving this bike and the community! First post 😊

One small gotcha was it did not come with the battery cover which I am now waiting for.
@Stealph, interestingly, I was informed about the necessity of ordering the battery cover by kind members of these Fora in advance ;) That's one of the gains of being here. I assure you you would feel no range anxiety since even the Turbo mode allows riding for 25 miles (on the flat), and lower support modes give far far greater range.

I used to carry the spare battery in a prepared pannier (again, the outcome of the Forums talk), and I still carry the spare battery on trips exceeding 50 miles. With my growing body strength, I gradually reduce the assistance, especially as I've learnt to ride slower than before :) A single 604 Wh battery is now good for most of my rides. I wouldn't take the risk with a smaller battery though.

I'm glad we have got another Club member!

so the e8000 works with the 2020 5.0?

use the oem chain, 105 hg601, and with part of another chain too

The Shimano E8000 chain works with a 2019 Vado 4.0, according to @bellandbottle reporting in this thread here:

Stefan Mikes said:
Are these advanced chains directional?

The three Shimano chains HG601, HG701 and E8000 are directional and coded, the KMC E11 is bi-directional.

It's quite a common understanding of German users that the "special" Ebike chains aren't worth the extra money at all as they do not last that much longer - if even! According to some frustrated reports they didn't even last as long as the "normal chains". Anyone here who could report about his range experience? My HG601 is still way off from wear exchange after 1.500 miles presently; I don't think I'll exchange it before 2.000 miles. As the special ebike chains are about twice the price: anyone with more than 3.000 miles usage on them?

Last edited:
Re chains

I would stay away from anything that touts rust proof or stainless. Stainless steel is a low carbon steel that is 'dry'. Without the higher carbon content of normal steels it will tend to gall if it contacts metal without any lubricant, more so than other steels. People think because stainless is hard to drill it is a hard steel, not so, it is because it is low carbon. Unless it is heat treated it is usually a soft steel.

I would investigate the type of steel used for chains. Which I have not seen advertised.

I enjoy riding my Vado in the 10-12 Wh/mile range. I adjust the power for enjoyment of the extra speed whenever I feel like it. This gives my Vado 5 a 50 mile range. My ‘Saturday ride‘ is approx 25 miles. Can’t fault the flexibility and power. This is in the US where I have a 28 mph support limit.
50miles ?? I have a Vado 4 I've ridden 90 miles on a charge . Averaging probably 17 or more MPH. I rode yesterday 31.5 miles Using Turbo twice when I stopped to take a Phone call . Leaving me about a mile behind everyone else . I used it to catch them. Mostly riding in ECO . Yesterday was a Fast ride : We were averaging 22 mph : I have 5 bars of 10 left and 3 lights out of 5 on the battery still. So far I have left the Factory setting alone : I also used the Sport mode for 4 miles : Just to see how much more Juice I used : The 90 miles I mentioned still left me 2 bars of Power : I was going on another longer ride of 50 miles the next day so I charged it up. Had that not been the case I was going to ride around My Block which is 7.5 miles . Just to see if I could get to almost 100 miles with one charge : Granted my bike is just a week and 2 days old .

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes just wanted to share my local shop was recently able to order a 2nd battery (604) for my como and it arrived in about a week. I live in NC. I This has definitely cures my range anxiety 😊 and am definitely enjoying the extended range. One small gotcha was it did not come with the battery cover which I am now waiting for.

How much did it cost ? Are the covers additional?

Why is a cover necessary? Wiill the battery still work without a cover? I planned to move my cover to the new battery and keep the old one as a backup without a cover.

We are not made equal, Barry 😊 Or equally healthy. Would you guess why I bought my e-bikes?

How much did it cost ? Are the covers additional?
Yes, it is an extra item for US$25.

@Ebiker53:
Not sure if you could ride without the cover. Certainly it wouldn't look good. Besides, I am of the opinion batteries should be rotated as it gives both greater longevity.

50miles ?? I have a Vado 4 I've ridden 90 miles on a charge . Averaging probably 17 or more MPH. I rode yesterday 31.5 miles Using Turbo twice when I stopped to take a Phone call . Leaving me about a mile behind everyone else . I used it to catch them. Mostly riding in ECO . Yesterday was a Fast ride : We were averaging 22 mph : I have 5 bars of 10 left and 3 lights out of 5 on the battery still. So far I have left the Factory setting alone : I also used the Sport mode for 4 miles : Just to see how much more Juice I used : The 90 miles I mentioned still left me 2 bars of Power : I was going on another longer ride of 50 miles the next day so I charged it up. Had that not been the case I was going to ride around My Block which is 7.5 miles . Just to see if I could get to almost 100 miles with one charge : Granted my bike is just a week and 2 days old .

Do you have an elevation reference? (like maybe Strava?)
Only because that seems like a lot of distance unless you are in Florida (where the land is about as flat as a piece of paper...except for the bridge : )

Went down to the LBS to adjust the Como wheel circumference. What I measured indicated 2103 so we put it in. On the measured mile I turned over 1 mile short of the distance, but closer than it ever has been, I did cross the marker at 1.1. It feels like the mph is more indicative of what I'm doing anyway. So the number would have to be less yet. I have to wonder how in this day and age they couldn't get something a little closer. Wonder if it effects the power, or maybe it's my big humongous legs:).

Also checked for chains. They didn't have any in the 138 length and showed out of stock wherever they get their Shimano stuff which is what the guy recommended though I've got the KMC out there for other applications. I'm thinking of getting two shorter chains and a couple master links. Those long chains are expensive! Not that I need any at the moment but thought I'd beat the crush.

Also did almost 26 miles with only 4 watt hours avg. 13.5 mph. Hence the big humongous legs:). Won't do it tomorrow though.....

Back