Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

@TS25 or anyone who can answer that: Are these advanced chains directional? (I know what Wide-Narrow is but now I wonder about the rotation direction).
My Shimano chains are directional. The instructions say to install them with the plates with the part number facing out and reading left to right as the chain feeds into the chain ring, i.e. the 'top' of the chain when installed.

BTW - My 2020 (US) Vado 5 uses a 120 link chain. It's a "men's" medium frame with an 11-speed 11-42t cassette and a 48t chain ring. I buy 126 link chains and shorten them.

A cover to install on bike without battery would be nice.
Would be handy for transporting the bike, to cover the battery cavity from dust and rain.

Such covers exist, for example this one:
or

(I use that one on my Giant but it fits Specialized e-bikes, too).

or

It doesn't need to be a Fahrer-Berlin product. Any large neoprene mat with Velcro can be used to cover the battery cavity.

Since my Giant's larger battery is missing the skid-plate (because of the supply-chain issues of Giant), I regularly use the neoprene cover on the Trance's frame. You wouldn't believe Marcela how much dirt could be accumulated on the cover... (it is washable, though).

Friends,
The question whether a Vado (so, the Como, too) caused resistance while pedalled unpowered seems to be answered for good now: Not more resistance than with a traditional bike's bottom bracket. I've made a simple test: After having removed the chain, I simply rotated the cranks forward with the motor off then on. No resistance experienced. It looks that the double clutch used in Brose motors really works. (Reportedly, some other motors resist pedalling when not powered; I'll do a test of the Yamaha PW-X2 this afternoon).

I think the impression an unpowered Specialized e-bike resists pedalling is just an impression, after the rider was suddenly deprived of pedalling assistance... Vado/Como without power should behave as a heavy traditional e-bike. That's it.

What a frustration! Find the right replacement chain for Vado 5.0... I counted the links in the existing chain and it turned out there were 132 links in total. A lot. It is the 11-speed cassette. Finally, I found the Shimano CN-E8000 11-sp with 138 links. Six links to be removed.

Next (@RandallS!), I needed a replacement chain for the Trance E+. 124 links needed for the 12-speed cassette. The only matching chain was Shimano CN-M8100 with 126 links. Two links to remove...

Tough luck to own an e-bike, eh?
LBS just chopped out the stock chain on my 2020 Como 5.0 and guesstimated the replacement length. Later Specialized rider care told me my bike was stock with 126 links.

LBS just chopped out the stock chain on my 2020 Como 5.0 and guesstimated the replacement length. Later Specialized rider care told me my bike was stock with 126 links.
U.S. Como 5 is equipped with 11-42t cassette and uses 650b wheels. My Vado is on 700c wheels and has the 11-46t cassette. All these parameters affect the chain length.

Do you have an elevation reference? (like maybe Strava?)
Only because that seems like a lot of distance unless you are in Florida (where the land is about as flat as a piece of paper...except for the bridge : )
No I'm not hooked up with Strava or anything like it yet : I am in Michigan Over by Lake Michigan : Definitely not flat : Most of the Trails are Combinations of flats hills and alot of stretches of 3 miles o more that are subtly uphill grades. Alot of rough paths, where the road grade in a gravel blacktop. Which on a Regular bike is easy to feel it's a harder ride then smooth city blacktop is. Just
Do you have an elevation reference? (like maybe Strava?)
Only because that seems like a lot of distance unless you are in Florida (where the land is about as flat as a piece of paper...except for the bridge : )
Not sure : There's some flat areas But just as many hilly areas :Live along the Lakeshore of Lake Michigan > I can see that I should average at least 70 Miles a Charge : Maybe it's because it's New : My first ride Was headed North : Almost all uphill all 25 miles : A gradual incline so benefited on the way back : Road 53 Miles All in Eco Mode The very next day went West to east and back Round trip was 35 miles : All on the original Charge That night Gave it a Full Charge : Went 40 miles with some really steep hills : One area was a Good 1/2 mile of straight up climb : Steep as well : You barely make it on a Standard Non E bike : But you can It's just really hard. On the way back I had 2 occasions I had to stop and fix the Bag in the back which fell off : I used Turbo in both cases to catch up and used turbo 1 more time racing someone a Mile :

I have 5 Bars left : I am going on a 25 mile road today without Charging : SO I will see : I plan to test the Turbo and sport to see just how much battery I eat up

Living in Michigan The Longest I'll ride or be able to is 6 months : that's probably 60 full charges : I don't have time to ride more then 3 times a week : Even if I did I don't see riding more then 60 miles a Trip > Considering I have 300 charges or 2 years whichever comes first : I'll be happy if I average 60-70 miles per charge

I also realize the battery will lose power quicker as it ages :

The chains on my Vado (132 links, 11-speed, CN-E8000) and on my Trance E+ (122 links, 12-speed CN-M8000) have been successfully installed by my brother. Chainrings, derailleurs, cassettes were de-greased and cleaned prior to the replacement. We were baffled by the fact it would be the best to own the Shimano Quick-Link pliers but Jacek was capable to connect the chain without the tool. (After he assembled the Quick-Link with pliers, he pressed the rear brake lever and stomped very hard on the right pedal; the Quick Link snapped into place).

Last edited:
The chains on my Vado (132 links, 11-speed, CN-E8000) and on my Trance E+ (122 links, 12-speed CN-M8000) have been successfully installed by my brother. Chainrings, derailleurs, cassettes were de-greased and cleaned before the replacement. We were baffled by the fact it would be the best to own the Shimano Quick-Link tool but Jacek was capable to connect the chain without the tool. (After he assembled the Quick-Link with pliers, he pressed the rear brake lever and stomped very hard on the right pedal; the Quick Link snapped into place).
I used the same technique to install a replacement chain on my Vado. I was surprised how much pressure it took on the pedals to get the master link to 'click' closed! For my 9-speed mech bike it's much easier...😎

The chains on my Vado (132 links, 11-speed, CN-E8000) and on my Trance E+ (122 links, 12-speed CN-M8000) have been successfully installed by my brother. Chainrings, derailleurs, cassettes were de-greased and cleaned before the replacement. We were baffled by the fact it would be the best to own the Shimano Quick-Link tool but Jacek was capable to connect the chain without the tool. (After he assembled the Quick-Link with pliers, he pressed the rear brake lever and stomped very hard on the right pedal; the Quick Link snapped into place).

How many miles were on the components prior to replacing them?

Back