Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I'm not Rando but I can tell you the battery range mostly depends on the rider's power input and on too many factors to give the definitive answer. Yet, for anybody concerned with the Vado range, the UI-600 Specialized battery (including a separately ordered cover) is available for less than US$1000, it fits all Vados and Comos, and solves the range issue for good :)

P.S. To illustrate the issue, I can only tell you my brother rode for 75 miles using 450 Wh of battery but it is something not doable for most of us mortals...

For sure. I rode 33.5 miles on my Como 4.0 last week using only about 25% of the battery. But....I had dialed down assist to 15% (was riding with a friend on an analog bike) with minimal climbing. Only 171Wh were used.

Attachments

• 1600739616997.png
    1600739616997.png
    743.6 KB · Views: 313
Extra battery as expressed by Stephan Mike is a good plan B to probably ride further than you might want with both batteries.

I even meant just replacing the 460 Wh battery with the 604 one, with the immediate extension of the range. Of course, the best strategy would be rotating both batteries (one for shorter and another for longer rides) that would result in the batteries' longevity.

But....I had dialed down assist to 15% (was riding with a friend on an analog bike) with minimal climbing. Only 171Wh were used.
Exactly my experience, only I set the assistance to 25/25 to finally get down to 20/20 at the end of the ride. 375 Wh of battery were used for 77.5 km (48 miles).

Am I seeing new carbon wheels in your future so you can also use a 15mm through axle? I do love spending other people's money, should have a politician...🤣
Haha! And an air fork for sure!

Flat tire on a carbon rim=ugh!
This! :)

I even meant just replacing the 460 Wh battery with the 604 one, with the immediate extension of the range. Of course, the best strategy would be rotating both batteries (one for shorter and another for longer rides) that would result in the batteries' longevity.

Exactly my experience, only I set the assistance to 25/25 to finally get down to 20/20 at the end of the ride. 375 Wh of battery were used for 77.5 km (48 miles).

But I'd heard cyclists don't get flats in Poland? Clean streets and thornless trails...😎

@Stefan Mikes what do you think it takes to add a range extender to turbo Vado? Like the one turbo Vado SL has? I know for one you need an inlet to the motor.

@Stefan Mikes what do you think it takes to add a range extender to turbo Vado? Like the one turbo Vado SL has? I know for one you need an inlet to the motor.
Can't be done. The SL is differently designed. Besides, the SL rider can take 320 + 160 = 480 Wh on board, and the main battery cannot be replaced, while we may have 604 Wh in the frame and carry as many batteries in panniers as the panniers can withstand :)

At least in the USA Good luck even finding an extra battery : Unless I am doing something wrong . I can't even locate Batteries on the Specialized Webpage for USA

It appears just like the Bike You can't order a Battery from a different state : Even if you pay the Hazmat Fee : That is Ludacris :: For cripe sake I talked to a Dealer who tells me he has batteries in Stock he hasn't moved : Yet can't ship one ??? That is Utterly Stupid :

Last edited by a moderator:
At least in the USA Good luck even finding an extra battery : Unless I am doing something wrong . I can't even locate Batteries on the Specialized Webpage for USA

It appears just like the Bike You can't order a Battery from a different state : Even if you pay the Hazmat Fee : That is Ludacris :: For cripe sake I talked to a Dealer who tells me he has batteries in Stock he hasn't moved : Yet can't ship one ??? That is Utterly Stupid :
I’m still waiting for the Como battery that got hijacked by usps.

Brendon has to figure out a way to get it from OR to KS.

I’m still waiting for the Como battery that got hijacked by usps.

Brendon has to figure out a way to get it from OR to KS.
My season for riding will likely end in 6 weeks or less : Unless we have a snowless winter I won't really need a battery until Spring 2021 : if the world economies make it that far ;)

What a frustration! Find the right replacement chain for Vado 5.0... I counted the links in the existing chain and it turned out there were 132 links in total. A lot. It is the 11-speed cassette. Finally, I found the Shimano CN-E8000 11-sp with 138 links. Six links to be removed.

Next (@RandallS!), I needed a replacement chain for the Trance E+. 124 links needed for the 12-speed cassette. The only matching chain was Shimano CN-M8100 with 126 links. Two links to remove...

Tough luck to own an e-bike, eh?

What a frustration! Find the right replacement chain for Vado 5.0... I counted the links in the existing chain and it turned out there were 132 links in total. A lot. It is the 11-speed cassette. Finally, I found the Shimano CN-E8000 11-sp with 138 links. Six links to be removed.

Next (@RandallS!), I needed a replacement chain for the Trance E+. 124 links needed for the 12-speed cassette. The only matching chain was Shimano CN-M8100 with 126 links. Two links to remove...

Tough luck to own an e-bike, eh?

Shimano CN-E8000
Is that the 'preferred' replacement chain or is the OEM Shimano HG601?
For better or worse, opinion, reasoning for which is better or worse?
And those 'spare' quick links we should all have some of, are those chain specific or universal?

Shimano CN-E8000
And those 'spare' quick links we should all have some of, are those chain specific or universal?

Both the Shimano and KMC chains, the e bike specific ones, are both very good. I like KMC, I've had them on my race bikes for years.

Spare quick links can be specific but not really in 11s applications. Make sure it's not a "one time use" quick link though. They'll work fine but I like to use the reusable ones so I can remove the chain to clean it.

Both the Shimano and KMC chains, the e bike specific ones, are both very good. I like KMC, I've had them on my race bikes for years.

Spare quick links can be specific but not really in 11s applications. Make sure it's not a "one time use" quick link though. They'll work fine but I like to use the reusable ones so I can remove the chain to clean it.

Thanks Brendon

I also have KMC with rust proof.

Shimano CN-E8000
It's simple: I cannot buy the CN-HG601 or a KMC chain that is long enough here. It is very hard to find anything that is good for 11-speed cassette and at least 132 links here. Not sure how it is in America.

That reminds me of the time when the Vado chain was being replaced by the LBS in May: The guys were overworked and the bike was waiting for two weeks in the line. Eventually, I got a phone call I could collect the Vado. When I came in the shop, the extremely irritated mechanic asked me to wait for a quarter more. It turned out the guy discovered late the cassette should be 46T at the wide end (not 42T) and it needed to be delivered from another store of the company. When the cassette was installed, the guy called me to come, and then he discovered the replacement chain had been too short... (next delivery necessary).

P.S. In order the troll @TForan could understand anything, the shop visit was related to upgrade the Vado electronics from 2017 to 2020 done under warranty, free, and which overhaul required dismantling half of the bike. The cassette and chain replacement were an addition.

Last edited:
Shimano CN-E8000 Is that the 'preferred' replacement chain or is the OEM Shimano HG601?

Shimano CN-HG601-11 or CN-HG701-11 do the job as well and cost less. Your choice.
Some more chain info here:

Quick links aren't chain specific. I would choose a reusable one. Some need a special tool to remove.

Stefan Mikes said:
I cannot buy the CN-HG601 or a KMC chain that is long enough here. It is very hard to find anything that is good for 11-speed cassette and at least 132 links here.
Lots of shops in Germany stock the Shimano HG601, HG701 or E8000 chain with 138 links and could send to PL for 10€ immediately.

Why not have a chain in your "spare parts department" ready at hand, together with other spare parts. Order parts in bulk to save postage.
That's my policy. And I think it's wise because parts tend to be out of stock from time to time.

Lots of shops in Germany stock the Shimano HG601, HG701 or E8000 chain with 138 links and could send to PL for 10€ immediately.

Why not have a chain in your "spare parts department" ready at hand, together with other spare parts. Order parts in bulk to save postage.
That's my policy. And I think it's wise because parts tend to be out of stock from time to time.
I will certainly ask you next time, thank you! Finally, I bought from CentrumRowerowe.pl Some benefits are free shipment and next day delivery. Yet the availability is spotty. (Poland is somewhat backwards country compared to Germany, I admit that).

Regarding the chain model, I would certainly be well-off with the HG601-11-138. I don't think a more expensive chain would last much longer on a mid-drive motor e-bike...

Back