Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

A remark on tyres for Vado. The underinflated Smart Sams made a 75 mile ride in mixed terrain doable but at the cost of the road speed! I'll try to properly inflate these new tyres and test. So far, the Electraks 2.0 seem to be unbeatable when it comes to the rolling resistance... :)

A remark on tyres for Vado. The underinflated Smart Sams made a 75 mile ride in mixed terrain doable but at the cost of the road speed! I'll try to properly inflate these new tyres and test. So far, the Electraks 2.0 seem to be unbeatable when it comes to the rolling resistance... :)

Stefan, do you run any tire liners?

Not needed, Brendon. Roads in Poland are surprisingly clean, and it is rare to experience a flat here.

Ah, lucky you are! Here in the Pacific Northwest they only sweep them before the "summer"

I think you'd like the Tannus liners, I've installed them on my bike and have been pleased with the outcome. Granted that's with some better wheels too, something else to consider too;)

Lighter carbon wheels will really help your range, food for thought! Might seem like a small benefit to others but based on the miles you ride it could prove worth it.

Brendon, if you could recommend some nice suspension fork for Vado, one available in aftermarket, I would be grateful. NB: It shouldn't change the geometry and be compatible with 100 x 15 mm thru-axle.

Brendon, if you could recommend some nice suspension fork for Vado, one available in aftermarket, I would be grateful. NB: It shouldn't change the geometry and be compatible with 100 x 15 mm thru-axle.

As luck would have it I've got the fork we removed from my business partner's Vado 3.0 (2019 which is the same as 2020 specs). Any interest in that? I have searched for a "decent" fork in the 60mm travel range listed for our bikes and it seems that the stock fork on the 2020 Vado 5.0 is as good as it gets. Having said that the 3.0/4.0 fork would be a welcome upgrade.

As luck would have it I've got the fork we removed from my business partner's Vado 3.0 (2019 which is the same as 2020 specs). Any interest in that? I have searched for a "decent" fork in the 60mm travel range listed for our bikes and it seems that the stock fork on the 2020 Vado 5.0 is as good as it gets. Having said that the 3.0/4.0 fork would be a welcome upgrade.
(Mine is 2017 Vado, fixed fork, you certainly realise that).
Do you think DHL still operate between the U.S. and Europe during the pandemics?

(Mine is 2017 Vado, fixed fork, you certainly realise that).
Do you think DHL still operate between the U.S. and Europe during the pandemics?
When I ordered my Brooks saddle direct from them in UK (no one in U.S. had one) it came out of Italy via DHL direct to my place in the middle U.S. via DHL. One week. And the Selle Royale name was in there somewhere and they are in California?

route was actually Italy-UK-LGA.

Last edited:
Let me help clear a few things up!

2019 Vado and Como 3.0 are both class 3 bikes with the 1.2 motor, 460wh battery. Identical to the 2020 Vado and Como 4.0 (como now comes with fenders), save for a larger battery.

2020 Vado and Como 3.0 are basically the 2019 2.0 models, all class 1. The 2020 model gets the 1.2e motor which isn't as powerful as the 1.2 motor

Does that help?
I have spoken with two bike shops in my state (Oregon) who both say that the 2020 vado is a class 3 bike.

I have spoken with two bike shops in my state (Oregon) who both say that the 2020 vado is a class 3 bike.
As a 4 month owner of the 2020 Vado 3.0, it is definitely a class 3. I live in US/Massachusetts.
Interesting is that a class 1 sticker came with the bike, but class 3 sticker on bike. On the flats reasonably easy to hit 21-22 mph in eco mode with factory settings. 25 + requires a jump to sport or turbo in 9th gear for this 74 year old & you are working @ it. Love to overtake the youngsters on road bikes spinning @ a furious rate....a real equalizer & a reminder of younger days before eBikes.
With eBike, no excuse to ride on windy days, heat, etc. Brose motor does encourage spinning over 80 rpms for best efficiency as stated by Stephan Mike. Thanks again to all on this forum as it has been very informative across so many areas!!!

Perhaps a suspension stem could provide some comfort?

I rode a Specialized Creo Carbon Comp Evo with a Future Shock 2.0 stem for a day. Didn’t do any ”offroad” but the short suspension travel smoothed the ride.
For all Vados the suspension fork seems to be the same Suntour NCX 25 with 50mm travel.

Perhaps a suspension stem could provide some comfort?

It's a tempting idea, Peranders, as the front wheel in my Vado is the unusual (read: specialized) 12x100 thru-axle. It looks nobody makes matching suspension forks, and replacing or rebuilding the front wheel appears impractical. I need to look to the suspension stem very carefully. Luckily, the headlamp and the TCD-W are handlebars-mounted now, and the Specialized stem looks replaceable...

P.S. Forget it. TCD-W is integrated with the Specialized Stealth stem in the Vado 6.0-style e-bike.

It's a tempting idea, Peranders, as the front wheel in my Vado is the unusual (read: specialized) 12x100 thru-axle. It looks nobody makes matching suspension forks, and replacing or rebuilding the front wheel appears impractical. I need to look to the suspension stem very carefully. Luckily, the headlamp and the TCD-W are handlebars-mounted now, and the Specialized stem looks replaceable...

P.S. Forget it. TCD-W is integrated with the Specialized Stealth stem in the Vado 6.0-style e-bike.
Maybe your forgot this :

Maybe your forgot this :
Quote: 15x100 Qloc2 axle design only. Unquote.

My front wheel is 12x100. Ye Goode Olde Specialized...

As a 4 month owner of the 2020 Vado 3.0, it is definitely a class 3. I live in US/Massachusetts.
Interesting is that a class 1 sticker came with the bike, but class 3 sticker on bike. On the flats reasonably easy to hit 21-22 mph in eco mode with factory settings. 25 + requires a jump to sport or turbo in 9th gear for this 74 year old & you are working @ it. Love to overtake the youngsters on road bikes spinning @ a furious rate....a real equalizer & a reminder of younger days before eBikes.
With eBike, no excuse to ride on windy days, heat, etc. Brose motor does encourage spinning over 80 rpms for best efficiency as stated by Stephan Mike. Thanks again to all on this forum as it has been very informative across so many areas!!!
I would love to get an idea of the "range" you get on the 3.0. I'm thinking I could overcome the torque and hill climbing by using a higher assist level, but that would definitely impact range. Thanks in advance.

I would love to get an idea of the "range" you get on the 3.0. I'm thinking I could overcome the torque and hill climbing by using a higher assist level, but that would definitely impact range. Thanks in advance.
I'm not Rando but I can tell you the battery range mostly depends on the rider's power input and on too many factors to give the definitive answer. Yet, for anybody concerned with the Vado range, the UI-600 Specialized battery (including a separately ordered cover) is available for less than US$1000, it fits all Vados and Comos, and solves the range issue for good :)

P.S. To illustrate the issue, I can only tell you my brother rode for 75 miles using 450 Wh of battery but it is something not doable for most of us mortals...

What Stephan said is true. I have done some 20 & 30 mile rides with a mix of usage (settings) depending on weather( wind), hills, time allotted for ride & never worried about enough battery. Also used to electric battery usage as I drive a Model 3 Tesla. Range anxiety is lessened with prior planning. Extra battery as expressed by Stephan Mike is a good plan B to probably ride further than you might want with both batteries.

Back