Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

To get exercise you just have to change your expectations...instead of getting up a hill at all, going up the hill at 20 mph. Or, instead of getting to where your going in 45 minutes without any effort, get there in 35 minutes. That's me on my commute, challenging myself to get a workout, and I definitely get a workout. Have fun...get used to smiling. :)

(not to you specifically, but your comment reminded me of an item on my to-do list...)

Anybody have a suggested list of tools to be able to change tubes on the road? I'd like to put together a tool kit for common repairs (quick link for chain, etc). Also, can anybody link to what size spare tube?

Tools and tube will live in my pannier.
Your spare tube should match your tire size printed on the tire sidewall. Comos & Vados have different size tires, so different tubes.

My flat kit includes a spare tube, tire levers, patch kit, tire boot, mini-pump, CO2 inflator with 16g cartridges (1-1/2 cartridges per tire fill), and a cleanup wipe. I also carry a mini-tool which has the hex wrench necessary to remove the Como/Vado through axles for a flat repair. I put talc on all my tubes and store them in zip locks to minimize deterioration.

I've never had a chain fail on a ride so I don't carry a master link on day rides. I do carry more 'stuff' for out of the area rides.

My younger sons have been avid MTBrs since high school so I ended up with a fully equipped home bike shop. I'm probably not the best person to advise on what other tools to get 'cause my answer is usually all of these;
Shop_Tools_wall.jpg

There's also a tool chest with smaller tools on the workbench opposite the pegboard, an air compressor on the floor to the right, and a wall-mounted bike stand to the right about a bike length away.

Your spare tube should match your tire size printed on the tire sidewall. Comos & Vados have different size tires, so different tubes.

My flat kit includes a spare tube, tire levers, patch kit, tire boot, mini-pump, CO2 inflator with 16g cartridges (1-1/2 cartridges per tire fill), and a cleanup wipe. I also carry a mini-tool which has the hex wrench necessary to remove the Como/Vado through axles for a flat repair. I put talc on all my tubes and store them in zip locks to minimize deterioration.

I've never had a chain fail on a ride so I don't carry a master link on day rides. I do carry more 'stuff' for out of the area rides.

My younger sons have been avid MTBrs since high school so I ended up with a fully equipped home bike shop. I'm probably not the best person to advise on what other tools to get 'cause my answer is usually all of these;
View attachment 65378
There's also a tool chest with smaller tools on the workbench opposite the pegboard, an air compressor on the floor to the right, and a wall-mounted bike stand to the right about a bike length away.

Well done!

View attachment 65378
@Sierratim remember TMI ? That's TMT ...Too Many Tools ... :oops:

I'm trying to pick between getting a Vado, Como or Vado SL.
Choose:
  1. Como, if you prefer the comfort of Rolls-Royce;
  2. Vado, if Ferrari is what you like;
  3. Vado SL if you are a healthy person, need exercise, and would like to be able to carry the bike in your hands if you need (I'm serious here).
I'm a Ferrari fan :)

Choose:
  1. Como, if you prefer the comfort of Rolls-Royce;
  2. Vado, if Ferrari is what you like;
  3. Vado SL if you are a healthy person, need exercise, and would like to be able to carry the bike in your hands if you need (I'm serious here).
I'm a Ferrari fan :)

What makes the Vado a Ferrari versus the Como exactly? To extend the metaphor, in this case the Rolls-Royce has the same engine as the Ferrari, and is a little lighter which helps output and range. It has most of the same major components -- brakes, gears, etc. It basically seems to come down to tires and rider orientation, right?

Last edited:
According to what Como owners say, that e-bike is just very comfy. As I own a Vado, I can only say it is a very sporty e-bike. (I had to rise the handlebars a little though for more comfort).
P.S. All my e-bikes are fast. Only the Vado gives the feeling of being a sports e-bike, good for zooming around...

Help me decide! I’m torn between the Vado 3.0 and the 4.0. I can’t find a 4.0 in stock anywhere. I am concerned that the 3.0 being a class 1 will get annoying when the motor tops helping, but tbh I don’t often go above 20 mph actually peddling..more like just hitting that speed on the downhills. Any thought on range of the 460wh battery, hitting the 20mph “wall” and the lower specs on the components?

And wear a helmet...
I have a helmet because My Brotehr-in-law works where I was able to get a steal on an Parachute Otherwise Helmets are way way way over-priced for what you get vs Motorcycle helmets
Help me decide! I’m torn between the Vado 3.0 and the 4.0. I can’t find a 4.0 in stock anywhere. I am concerned that the 3.0 being a class 1 will get annoying when the motor tops helping, but tbh I don’t often go above 20 mph actually peddling..more like just hitting that speed on the downhills. Any thought on range of the 460wh battery, hitting the 20mph “wall” and the lower specs on the components?
Vado 4 I would wait to long I see they have raised prices on teh website :

Any thought on range of the 460wh battery, hitting the 20mph “wall” and the lower specs on the components?
Perhaps it is better to wait for the 2021 models? I can tell you nothing is wrong with Class 1 but the 460 Wh battery is really limiting. You would also like to have thru-axles, better brakes, etc., etc.

I have a helmet because My Brotehr-in-law works where I was able to get a steal on an Parachute Otherwise Helmets are way way way over-priced for what you get vs Motorcycle helmets
I can remember the only day I rode out helmet-less and had a bad fall at high speed. Not anymore! Always helmeted rides!

The Vado 3.0 is class 3. I saw the sticker myself on the one I test rode, the LBS tech said it and its in a bunch of the reviews.

Perhaps it is better to wait for the 2021 models? I can tell you nothing is wrong with Class 1 but the 460 Wh battery is really limiting. You would also like to have thru-axles, better brakes, etc., etc.

I can remember the only day I rode out helmet-less and had a bad fall at high speed. Not anymore! Always helmeted rides!

2021 Vado 3.0 is already in stores. The L is actually the only Vado right now that's not out of stock on Specialized website online too. It is Class 3 and still has the 1.2e motor and 460Wh battery.

What makes the Vado a Ferrari versus the Como exactly? To extend the metaphor, in this case the Rolls-Royce has the same engine as the Ferrari, and is a little lighter which helps output and range. It has most of the same major components -- brakes, gears, etc. It basically seems to come down to tires and rider orientation, right?
Diferent chainring that gives more torque in the Vado, along with a geometry that is made to standup on pedals easily makes Vado a better climber. Long fixed fork angle with soft tires and cushy seat and grips makes Como a better crusier. Maybe. :D

I'm not 100% certain that the 3.0 is a class 3 bike. Even on the Specialized website the 3.0 step over frame specifies the top assist speed is 28 mph, the step over doesn't list, a top assist speed. Others on this forum have said the 3.0 is a Class 1 bike. I'm completely unsure.

My 2019 Como3 and the 2019 Vado3 were class1 bikes, the 2021 Como3 still is but I was told the 2021 Vado3 is a class 3. Specialized changes the class with the model year.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% certain that the 3.0 is a class 3 bike. Even on the Specialized website the 3.0 step over frame specifies the top assist speed is 28 mph, the step over doesn't list, a top assist speed. Others on this forum have said the 3.0 is a Class 1 bike. I'm completely unsure.

I can only say that the Vado 3.0 I test road last week definitely had a Class 3 sticker and that the LBS said it was Class 3, plus the reviews. Perhaps it changed with model year?

My 2019 Como3 and the 2019 Vado3 were class1 bikes, the 2020 Como3 still is but I was told the 2020 Vado3 is a class 3. Specialized changes the class with the model year.

It is interesting if the Como is Class 1 and the Vado Class 3 with the same motor. Does that mean they are software-suppressing its capacity on the Como 3.0?

Back