Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

@Papa G, as I have explained in another thread, replacing the stem on an e-bike is a risky business because it might get in conflict with, e.g., the display. I recommend Baramind BAM Trek shock handlebars instead.
Thanks Stefan. The Kinekt Suspension Stem has a short travel and doesn't conflict with the Bosch Purion display on the Trek Super Commuter +7. I am mainly riding the 2020 Vado with suspension fork but thought this might be of interest to some rigid fork riders. The Baramind BAM Trek shock handlebars look interesting. Does it change the grip angle when depressed?

@jcolbyc: It looks like you’ve got your Como dialed in. Since the Como is rigid, I wonder if you’ve considered adding a suspension stem and or seat post? Here is a picture on the new Kinekt Suspension Stem I mounted on my rigid Trek Super commuter. With the suspension fork, we don’t really need them on the Vados.

I decided to go with the sprung Brooks saddle versus the post-suspension. So far so good. I added a RedShift suspension stem to my Yamaha Cross Core and that was a very nice upgrade as it only has 37C tires. No plans yet for that on the Como but I'm sure stem suspension works great on the Como. The Kinect looks great too.

I decided to go with the sprung Brooks saddle versus the post-suspension. So far so good. I added a RedShift suspension stem to my Yamaha Cross Core and that was a very nice upgrade as it only has 37C tires. No plans yet for that on the Como but I'm sure stem suspension works great on the Como. The Kinect looks great too.

I put a Redshift stem on my Como and it's great, a little extra handlebar height and a smoother ride.

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_132859329.jpg
    IMG_20200705_132859329.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 459
Does it change the grip angle when depressed?
Nothing I would be aware of. Actually, these handlebars normally feel pleasantly rigid. Yet when you ride on an obstacle, they rapidly work (that's the whole secret behind the patent). The suspension handlebars work nicely for all obstacles creating slow vibration but do very little on gravel washboard sections. No type of suspension is good for such a surface. Yet the 2020 Comos are equipped with 2.3" tyres, and these inflated to the mid-range pressure dampen "washboard" very well.

I put a Redshift stem on my Como and it's great, a little extra handlebar height and a smoother ride.
How did you mount the TCD-W display on the new stem, @Teddcl? I'm asking, because it is how the 2020 specialized stem is used to support the TCD-W display. I wouldn't recommend stem replacement to most of Vado users (Como might be different, not sure). Besides, you can see the grey elastomer inserts of the Baramind handlebars in the picture.

1596081516566.png

Last edited:
Can someone tell Me Why at least in this Forum The Como and Vado Seem to be the Most Popular E-bikes Overall ? I've been researching for about 6 months : It really seems like it boils down to Opinions based on Experiences : I can't help notice in the Forum by Brands Specialized seems to carry the majority of Posts :

What's so Great about These 2 Bikes over others ?

We're a Specialized dealer but also sell Bulls, Yamaha, and Scott. Specialized has a very robust dealer net work, Trek too. That allows them to get their e-bikes into showrooms pretty effectively. Bulls makes great product but the vast majority of bike shops have no idea who they are since they've never really had a presence in the US before 2017.

That and the Brose drive unit that Specialized worked hard developing has a great ride quality in their bikes. Not to say other Bosch equipped bikes aren't good, just a different outcome. Having most of my experience being with Bosch bikes, I can tell you that I'm STOKED on the Vado 5.0. The 1.3 motor rips, bike rides great. Mission control is very cool for those wanting more technical detail. The TCD display is awesome, there's tons of data available.

Rode my first long trip today on my new 2020 Como 4 on an asphalt rail trail near Chillicothe OH.

Rode 36.4 miles in ECO only and used 55% of battery capacity. The Como 4 has a better range than I expected. Plenty of assist in ECO for most of the trails I’ll be riding.

The ride quality is so much better than my previous bike, a 500W rear hub drive Aventon Pace 500 with a cadence sensor.

I made the right move!

@Sierratim & @Brendon@TBSM, please explain some mystery to me.

Now I can understand that my Vado is equipped with a very specialized Stealth stem, which only belongs to the Euro Vado 6.0. I could see (in a website picture of Vado 5.0) the TCD-W display support does not belong to the Flowset stem, which is good. I can, however, notice that the headlight is mounted near to the stem. Does the lamp support belong to the display support there?

Now I can understand that my Vado is equipped with a very specialized Stealth stem, which only belongs to the Euro Vado 6.0. I could see (in a website picture of Vado 5.0) the TCD-W display support does not belong to the Flowset stem, which is good. I can, however, notice that the headlight is mounted near to the stem. Does the lamp support belong to the display support there?

Can you send a pic of your question? I'm having a hard time picturing what you're talking about.

Can you send a pic of your question? I'm having a hard time picturing what you're talking about.
Here is the Specialized Stealth stem with the integrated display support (the Supernova headlamp is mounted separately on the handlebar):

Here is the Specialized Flowset stem arrangement for Vado 5.0, as seen in the website:
1596172604223.png

The question actually was if the Vado 5.0 Flowset stem could be easily replaced with any other to not affect the display and the lamp.

Here is the Specialized Stealth stem with the integrated display support (the Supernova headlamp is mounted separately on the handlebar):

Here is the Specialized Flowset stem arrangement for Vado 5.0, as seen in the website:
View attachment 60752

The question actually was if the Vado 5.0 Flowset stem could be easily replaced with any other to not affect the display and the lamp.

Ah, good question. Indeed it can! I used leftover Pinarello top cap parts to run a regular stem on mine. Specialized has the correct part too, I just didn't have the patience to wait for it. Here you can see a standard top cap and spacer setup enabling one to use a traditional stem.

You'll also need a mount to put the light on the fork between the fender and the fork crown. Looks like Specialized sells the light with mount, don't see a mount itself. Here's the p/n for the light with mount S195800001

Edit: I can take better pics tomorrow of the parts if needed. The part for the headset is called the "headset top cap" and the part for the light is called the "fork crown mount" I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_174617470.jpg
    IMG_20200529_174617470.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 385

On our Vado 5s the headlamp is mounted to a special stem clamp as shown on the Specialized US web pages.

download (1).jpg

download (3).jpeg

The Supernova headlamp itself is also custom in that the electrical cable enters on ths oppsite side of the mounting bracket so water won't enter the housing when installed on this bracket. The lens is also 'up side down' to keep the beam below eye level.

The TCD-W is supported by its own separate bracket clamped to the handlebar. Mine is located next to the stem clamp positioning the display over the stem. So, the lamp and display supports are separate on my Vados.

View attachment 60752

The dispaly is no problem being on a separate handlebar mounted bracket.

The lamp, however, is a different issue. Lamps that are fork crown mounted don't pose a problem. Lamps mounted to the Specialized stem do in that the electrical cable enters from the side opposite the mounting tab. Moving the lamp from the stem almost always requires the lamp to be rotated 180° as in @Brendon@TBSM example. This puts the cable on the top of the lamp potentially allowing water entry.

My solution to this was to move by stem mounted lamp to a 3D printed extension that moved the lamp up.
0410201356_Film1.jpg

This same bracket can be rotated down to lower, rather than raise, the lamp.

On our Vado 5s the headlamp is mounted to a special stem clamp as shown on the Specialized US web pages.

View attachment 60750

View attachment 60751
The Supernova headlamp itself is also custom in that the electrical cable enters on ths oppsite side of the mounting bracket so water won't enter the housing when installed on this bracket. The lens is also 'up side down' to keep the beam below eye level.

The TCD-W is supported by its own separate bracket clamped to the handlebar. Mine is located next to the stem clamp positioning the display over the stem. So, the lamp and display supports are separate on my Vados.

2020 Vado's that I've had in the shop all have a fork mounted light. That stem mount is leftover from the Blox display as I understand.

Ritchey makes a Supernova Universal Stem Faceplate mount that attaches to your stem faceplate, and the width is slightly adjustable. This is what I needed to mount my Supernova headlight to the Kinekt Suspension Stem faceplate since the Kinekt Suspension Stem faceplate bolts were slightly wider than my original stem (that had a faceplate with an integrated Supernova mount).

The lamp can be mounted on the lower or upper faceplate bolts.

Last edited:
Back