Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

My opinion is that you don’t want motor support while shifting and I don’t find 7.1.1 better for shifting while applying pressure on pedals.
Stop pedaling just a little bit longer and shift earlier.
I want 5.0.4 back in my Vado. Felt more natural.
thanks for the advice, PaD. I’ll go through early August with 5.0.4 then I’m due my first tune up. The shop suggested doing the upgrade at that time. I may just ask them to leave me with 5.0.4. The Vado 5.0 is overall amazing. Last Saturday took it for an early morning spin here in North Carolina. 15 miles out through rolling countryside, saw maybe 20vehicles. Stunning views; horse country. Outbound 55 minutes. Power Level 1, no rush, learned how to finesse the gears. Homebound I figured why not cheat a little. Put it in Power 3 mode and pulled into the driveway less than 40 minutes later. Bug splats on my aftermarket wing mirror - how about that! Minimal issue with gear change noise at high speed as the momentum creates a smooth gear change, sometimes totally silent and seamless. in some ways the bike responds best to being ridden hard.

I learned something new today. I am sure not new to many of you.
I will share as I have learned so much from all of you.
As you know on Vado (and might be the case for other ebikes) reverse pedaling does not reverse the chain direction and pedal and crank turns backward idle.
I have been cleaning my chain pedaling forward for this reason. And the rear wheel was turning while I was cleaning and lubing Not a big deal.
I learned that I could tie a zip tie to crank and the casing of chainring and this enables you to reverse pedal with chain moving in reverse direction.
this way no need for the rear wheel to turn when cleaning and lubing my chain.
👍😎

thanks for the advice, PaD. I’ll go through early August with 5.0.4 then I’m due my first tune up. The shop suggested doing the upgrade at that time. I may just ask them to leave me with 5.0.4. The Vado 5.0 is overall amazing. Last Saturday took it for an early morning spin here in North Carolina. 15 miles out through rolling countryside, saw maybe 20vehicles. Stunning views; horse country. Outbound 55 minutes. Power Level 1, no rush, learned how to finesse the gears. Homebound I figured why not cheat a little. Put it in Power 3 mode and pulled into the driveway less than 40 minutes later. Bug splats on my aftermarket wing mirror - how about that! Minimal issue with gear change noise at high speed as the momentum creates a smooth gear change, sometimes totally silent and seamless. in some ways the bike responds best to being ridden hard.
Nice to hear you’re having a good time with your ebike!
About firmware upgrade - or not.
It’s difficult ( and maybe not right) to tell others not to update. I don’t have information about what these updates really do. It’s a bit like e.g. Apple updates to your phone - they tell you about some of it but not all.
I still think I should tell you about my experiences but ask your bike shop about what they know.

Nice to hear you’re having a good time with your ebike!
About firmware upgrade - or not.
It’s difficult ( and maybe not right) to tell others not to update. I don’t have information about what these updates really do. It’s a bit like e.g. Apple updates to your phone - they tell you about some of it but not all.
I still think I should tell you about my experiences but ask your bike shop about what they know.
Absolutely, I will enjoy chatting to the bike shop about the upgrade during August. I’m not much of a rebel, so I expect I’ll take it to 7.1.1 If that’s what they recommend 😊

I absolutely love my Como 5, had it a little over 2 weeks at 150 miles. The bike is a dream, I rode the Como 4 and it was very impressive but I loved the 5's paint and standard front rack and a bigger battery. I also ride a Yamaha Cross Core Fitness bike daily so this one is my pleasure and errand bike. I can't imagine a better bike for this application.

Added the Specialized Roll Rack, Brooks B67 Seat, Brooks Large Tool Bag (Phone and Tools), Brooks Taillight, Ergon Cork Grips, and Shimano XT Platform Pedals.

IMG_7869.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutely love my Como 5, had it a little over 2 weeks at 150 miles. The bike is a dream, I rode the Como 4 and it was very impressive but I loved the 5's paint and standard front rack and a bigger battery. I also ride a Yamaha Cross Core Fitness bike daily so this one is my pleasure and errand bike. I can't imagine a better bike for this application.

Added the Specialized Roll Rack, Brooks B67 Seat, Brooks Large Tool Bag (Phone and Tools), Brooks Taillight, Ergon Cork Grips, and Shimano XT Platform Pedals.

View attachment 60472
Sharp tool bag, esp with the saddle!

View attachment 60472
Great looking bike and nice upgrades. Two questions: where Is the tail light now mounted? How do you like the front rack? Some have said it makes steering feel a bit too heavy...

Great looking bike and nice upgrades. Two questions: where Is the tail light now mounted? How do you like the front rack? Some have said it makes the steering feel a bit too heavy...

Thanks! ...The front rack is just fine for me... The Brooks Light is on the back of the rack..kinda hard to see in this picture. It works great.

1595967604115.png

Beautifully staged photo. Really looks professional!

And the hits just keep on coming, folks. I went out for a ride last night, intending to make some pressure adjustments as required on my PNW Coast Suspension Dropper post. A few miles out, I stopped and hooked up my pump, only to see the pressure as only 100psi and dropping. The pump, which I had only used once with limited success, is now not only non-functional but it let all of my pressure out!

So as soon as I got back on, the post immediately dropped all the way and stayed that way. !@#%$. After ascertaining that the pump indeed did not work, I pulled a save by loosening the clamp and pulling the main section of the post up to get my seat at the correct level so I could ride it home without my knees up in my chin.

Then I found today that good shock pumps are yet another bike-related item that is in short supply. I tried three local shops before finding a Trek dealer that had a couple left, so went out and grabbed one.

That was followed by our refrigerator going out, and the appliance pipelines are not restocked yet after the early pandemic panic-buying, so the best we could do on that score is wait for one that's due the middle of August. Aargh! At least in this case we have a refrigerator and large freezer in the basement so it's just a matter of doing a lot of stairs...

And the hits just keep on coming, folks. I went out for a ride last night, intending to make some pressure adjustments as required on my PNW Coast Suspension Dropper post. A few miles out, I stopped and hooked up my pump, only to see the pressure as only 100psi and dropping. The pump, which I had only used once with limited success, is now not only non-functional but it let all of my pressure out!

So as soon as I got back on, the post immediately dropped all the way and stayed that way. !@#%$. After ascertaining that the pump indeed did not work, I pulled a save by loosening the clamp and pulling the main section of the post up to get my seat at the correct level so I could ride it home without my knees up in my chin.

Then I found today that good shock pumps are yet another bike-related item that is in short supply. I tried three local shops before finding a Trek dealer that had a couple left, so went out and grabbed one.

That was followed by our refrigerator going out, and the appliance pipelines are not restocked yet after the early pandemic panic-buying, so the best we could do on that score is wait for one that's due the middle of August. Aargh! At least in this case we have a refrigerator and large freezer in the basement so it's just a matter of doing a lot of stairs...
Tough luck!
I sympathise with you.

Arrg is right! Ouch.

The Como 5 Hauls!

Specialized Pizza Bag + Public Bikes Crate on the Rear = 2 full bags of groceries

Locked up via Otto lock inside the store :)

Love the Public Bikes Crate - Spring Loaded for easy on/off

View attachment 60558View attachment 60559View attachment 60560
@jcolbyc: It looks like you’ve got your Como dialed in. Since the Como is rigid, I wonder if you’ve considered adding a suspension stem and or seat post? Here is a picture on the new Kinekt Suspension Stem I mounted on my rigid Trek Super commuter. With the suspension fork, we don’t really need them on the Vados.

Attachments

• 4D44D961-70C8-4552-AF0A-D920E23EE8EE.jpeg
    4D44D961-70C8-4552-AF0A-D920E23EE8EE.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 341
@Papa G, as I have explained in another thread, replacing the stem on an e-bike is a risky business because it might get in conflict with, e.g., the display. I recommend Baramind BAM Trek shock handlebars instead.

Sounds like there was a surplus of bad luck yesterday. I got stuck by a wasp on my face on my commute into work, then when I got home I accidentally walked off the edge of one of our retaining walls and busted up my leg & hip. Good times! :)

I left my car at the vet two days ago to pick up my cat from the pet hotel. Although the place looked flat, it wasn't. I haven't pulled the hand brake properly. When I went back to the parking lot, the car was not there. It rolled back and fell into a deep ditch! 😄

Count me lucky. No slightest damage on the car when it was towed up the road, and Coke left in an open can didn't even spill!

I call such events "good luck". Look to @rochrunner situation. He had no accident, bought a new shock pump and can ride again. He has a spare refrigerator. Lucky man! 😊

Back