Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Decided to "pimp-out" one of the ebikes with neon pink accents. None of it is permanent so the bike can be returned to its boring gray color at anytime.
The shirt is from a cycling trip through part of Slovenia-Austria-North East Italy.
Europe rocks for cycling and I can't wait to return!!

1591537895874.png

1591537962146.png

1591538250822.png

Good day,
My wifes bike battery 2018 Vado, after charging and disconnected from charger, displays all green indicator lights when I turn on. Normal.
The bike display illuminates, then goes dark except for only the lowest battery cell illuminates and pulses on and off while all the green battery lights remain on steady.
I swapped battery to identical Vado of my bike and the issue followed the battery, to this bike.
Tried to ride to see if motor would respond to speed selection, up or down. No active motor assist.
Sent email Specialized RideCare, no response in a week.
Took to LBS (Specialized Dealer) had firmware updated, did not help. The LBS is talking to Specialized Vado engineer, he thought wiring harness until informed the issue followed battery between bikes. He is too research and contact LBS sometime.
Talked to two Specialized bike shops owners I know, they also are stumped.
Can not find Specialized instructions to properly / fully discharge the battery, or perform a reset.
Known solution or if you know a resource that can help I would appreciate a response.
I have posted to maintenance form section and hope this is a connection to Vado section. Yes, I am new to forum.

Finally we can see you in person, @Marci jo! ❤

Great. Going Stefan, pretty sure my backside would not handle that distance even if my legs could.
Not easy for me either. The Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat-post, the Ergon ST Core Prime and chamois help. As well as pretty frequent stops. Additionally, I suffer from aches in the small of the back and nothing can be helped until my large stomach gets reduced...

Good day,
My wifes bike battery 2018 Vado, after charging and disconnected from charger, displays all green indicator lights when I turn on. Normal.
The bike display illuminates, then goes dark except for only the lowest battery cell illuminates and pulses on and off while all the green battery lights remain on steady.
I swapped battery to identical Vado of my bike and the issue followed the battery, to this bike.
Tried to ride to see if motor would respond to speed selection, up or down. No active motor assist.
Took to LBS (Specialized Dealer) had firmware updated, did not help. The LBS is talking to Specialized Vado engineer, he thought wiring harness until informed the issue followed battery between bikes. He is too research and contact LBS sometime.
Can not find Specialized instructions to properly / fully discharge the battery, or perform a reset.
Known solution or if you know a resource that can help I would appreciate a response.
I have posted to maintenance form section and hope this is a connection to Vado section. Yes, I am new to forum.
Do I understand you correctly this specific battery misbehaves? Could you try another battery in your wife's Vado to eliminate other problems? How many recharge cycles might be applied on he problematic battery so far?

Good day,
Please check the battery in the display unit as well. I saw something like your symptoms in the Como Vado manual. The display controls the BMS apparantly.

Do I understand you correctly this specific battery misbehaves? Could you try another battery in your wife's Vado to eliminate other problems? How many recharge cycles might be applied on he problematic battery so far?
Swapping batteries between identical bikes proofed the problem followed the battery.
Cleaned all contacts with no improvement with problem.
So, as I learn more about Vados it sounds like there is a Battery Management System mother board in the battery housing. If this flakes out or fails for any reason I have $1K paperweight.
What information does the connection to Specialized diagnostics tool provide? Anything about the BMS?

Please check the battery in the display unit as well. I saw something like your symptoms in the Como Vado manual. The display controls the BMS apparantly.
Is there battery there? I will look into that too.
I can only ask you if your bike is still covered by the warranty...
I am outside of warranty. Attempting to locate replacement battery from LBS. Battery nameplate is Made in P.R.C. with current problems with China this could add to missing great riding weather here on the Mississippi River.
I have read a few post about USA third party battery suppliers, the issue that Specialized does not sell mother boards separately, challenges with repackaging batteries in Vado housing, etc.
So thoughts on a replacement smooth path are appreciated.
I am going to call EBS(s) to see about battery deliveries. Plus talk to the local EBS to reset display, if they have not performed that yet. Looks like a small silver button on the back, or if i remove a couple minature screws and associated cover I might find a battery to replace there.
Step by step troubleshooting will make me a better owner, is the positive throughout this event.

@usammartin, the thing is probably beyond the repair. The only choice is to replace a new battery bought from Specialized. They only sell the UI-600, the 600 Wh battery that fits all Vados for US$900. It is done the way they have put high energy-density cells into their standard battery case together with the BMS, the switch/LED panel and whatnot. You simply remove your existing battery cover (it is attached to the battery by small latches) and re-attach it to the new battery. (A new cover is an extra item worth $25).

Contact FTH power. When one of my batteries (not Specialize) went bad I took it to them. It turns out a faze had blown and they fixed it for $60.

Contact FTH power. When one of my batteries (not Specialize) went bad I took it to them. It turns out a faze had blown and they fixed it for $60.
Funny. I had just watched a video on FTH of Southern California. I will have to look them up, see what they do about the BMS if that is the problem.
I was thinking they might be a solid solution to investigate or use if new battery lead time is long.
I just talked to LBS and the tech is off today on a 3 day weekend, yet the owner stated Specalized was shipping replacement part(s). I will wait another 24 hours and see what the local can accomplish.
Oh yea, shipping batteries requires special shipper/handling.
Enjoyed a wonderful ride yesterday across the rolling hills (some pretty long and steep) of SW WI and NW IL with other ebikers while I rode under my own power. Dang, can not wait for my ebike to come home from the shop. Sure was a beautiful trek what ever one rides.

Is there battery there? I will look into that too.

I am outside of warranty. Attempting to locate replacement battery from LBS. Battery nameplate is Made in P.R.C. with current problems with China this could add to missing great riding weather here on the Mississippi River.
I have read a few post about USA third party battery suppliers, the issue that Specialized does not sell mother boards separately, challenges with repackaging batteries in Vado housing, etc.
So thoughts on a replacement smooth path are appreciated.
I am going to call EBS(s) to see about battery deliveries. Plus talk to the local EBS to reset display, if they have not performed that yet. Looks like a small silver button on the back, or if i remove a couple minature screws and associated cover I might find a battery to replace there.
Step by step troubleshooting will make me a better owner, is the positive throughout this event.
If the main battery fails on both bikes displays, that means the small display battery is probably a red he
Do you think someone 5’8” who wanted a Como would be better off with the small or medium low entry frame?
My wife is 5 foot 5 and the small low step fits her well. I am 5 foot 8 and it is comfortable for me if I put the seat up a few inches.

If the main battery fails on both bikes displays, that means the small display battery is probably a red he

My wife is 5 foot 5 and the small low step fits her well. I am 5 foot 8 and it is comfortable for me if I put the seat up a few inches.
My bride is 5'8" and rides a mens large Vado, same as i do. I am same height. We are in our 60s, having a great time each ride.

My bride is 5'8" and rides a mens large Vado, same as i do. I am same height.
It means you both have exceptionally long legs. I'm 5'8", 32" inseam and I wouldn't be able to straddle the Vado High-Step L top tube.

My bride is 5'8" and rides a mens large Vado, same as i do. I am same height. We are in our 60s, having a great time each ride.
Back to the battery issue -
the LBS has talked to Specialized Vado/Como support techs. Techs are pointing to a wire harness known problem with described symptoms. LBS has to fill out and send paperwork/photos as working to make warranty replacement. I will be super suprised if it is a harness, more surprised if warrantied. As the problem followed the battery to our second Vado, does that mean it's wiring harness is bad too. No riding it this week!

Back to the battery issue -
the LBS has talked to Specialized Vado/Como support techs. Techs are pointing to a wire harness known problem with described symptoms. LBS has to fill out and send paperwork/photos as working to make warranty replacement. I will be super suprised if it is a harness, more surprised if warrantied. As the problem followed the battery to our second Vado, does that mean it's wiring harness is bad too. No riding it this week!
On the height topic -
Inseam is 32 for me. My bride has the legs. There is a major form/fit/comfort/handling difference between Vado and Como.
Buy what fits your form, and provides comfort with safe handling for the riding you do. We ride fast on level grade and faster on uphill runs.
Love our Vados. 8 other couples eride with us from time to time, they all wish they had bought Specialized Vados. For performance and looks.

Back