Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Let me explain something. My support settings are the outcome of careful and long-time tuning. I and my brother Jacek are setting off for a 109-km ride today. He will be riding my Lovelec e-bike in PAS 1 the whole way; his intention is to prove he can make it (and even more) on a single 576 Wh battery with pretty strong headwind for 60% of the trip. I'm a far weaker rider and must be absolutely sure I could make the same trip on two 600 Wh batteries of my Vado while maintaining Jacek's speed. (He's a cycling demon and rides fast).

My default customised settings allow me riding with the average speed of 28 km/h (17.45 mph) with the stronger "Eco" mode upwind and with the weaker "Sport" mode downwind. Since there will be several stops en route, I don't want to think of changing the support mode on any re-start. Hence the settings as shown before.

Besides, I like things to be complicated. When a feature's there, why not to use it? "It is not the rocket science" :D

Oh, Tim, how you like teasing ;) I shall change my forum handle to "Mr. Serious"!

1591417773888.png

Can anyone tell me clearly if the Como 3.0 is a 28 mph class bike. I’ve seen several places that say that it is but Ive seen some things that say it is not. I can’t find a clear statement on the Specialized site, and Specialized takes a couple of days to get back to you. A friend wants to buy one but only if it is Class 3.

It's a little confusing, the 3.0 last year is now the 4.0 this year. The 2019 3.0 is a class 3, whereas the 2020 3.0 is a class 1

Stefan,
Excellent challenge!
Not sure sure I could do that. Leg strength is one thing but for me it would be having the patience to not fight the headwind. I would be tempted to ride in turbo and consequently run out of battery.
You and Jacek enjoy the ride. 🚴🏼‍♀️😎😊

I have not reversed my eco and sport mode positions, however I have more differential of assists between to two modes than Stefan so I notice immediately if I forget to set it to eco when starting off.

Wondering, re the Brose 1.2 and 1.3 motors, I've seen videos that compare the two motors, they are identical. Really doubt Brose runs two different assy lines to make this motor, and I think they are the same. And maybe the increased torque rating is due to the larger battery? And possibly different tune, but the updates are the same across the line so even doubt there are different 'tunes'. So the difference would be just bigger batteries to provide more 'gas'.

Maybe?

Wondering, re the Brose 1.2 and 1.3 motors, I've seen videos that compare the two motors, they are identical. Really doubt Brose runs two different assy lines to make this motor, and I think they are the same. And maybe the increased torque rating is due to the larger battery? And possibly different tune, but the updates are the same across the line so even doubt there are different 'tunes'. So the difference would be just bigger batteries to provide more 'gas'.

Maybe?
The Como/Vado batteries are all 36V. The total energy capacities vary by model. You can think of voltage as the electrical equivalent of water pressure and energy capacity as the equivalent of the size of a water tank. The 36V batteries then all provide the same 'pressure', but higher capacity batteries can provide this pressure for a longer time before the tank empties. So, a higher capacity battery at the 36V output won't impact motor torque, just how long it can deliver torque.

Vado batteries are interchangeable between models, regardless of capacity. Putting a 600Wh Vado 5 battery in a Vado 4 won't change the motor torque in the Vado 4, just how long it can provide torque.

Motor torque can be impacted by small changes in design, such as reducing the number of turns of wire. Same assembly line, just a small code change in the winding machine setup. Torque can also be impacted by firmware in the motor. Hard to say which approach Specialized uses, but they do say they 'tune' their motors for street, etc.

Have you seen any specs that compare the weight for the various motors? This could help understand any physical differences between the models.

Reactions: TMH
Have you seen any specs that compare the weight for the various motors? This could help understand any physical differences between the models.

The video I saw showed the two motors exactly alike, just different part numbers. Why are people reporting less power when the battery is at 100% vs. 50%, or whatever number they are using? The power doesn't appear to be the same throughout the battery charge.

The video I saw showed the two motors exactly alike, just different part numbers. Why are people reporting less power when the battery is at 100% vs. 50%, or whatever number they are using? The power doesn't appear to be the same throughout the battery charge.
It would be very difficult to see changes in motor construction that could make a 20% difference in motor torque, 75Nm vs 90Nm, esp if motor firmware 'tuning' is a part of the torque output.

The batteries are 36V nominal output. The voltage is higher when the battery is at full charge and slowly drops as it discharges. Using the water pressure analogy again, the battery output 'pressure' does slowly drop as the water tank is emptied. This could impact motor torque, depending on 'tuning'. I could see where riders might describe this as drop in power as the charge level drops.

Maybe?

BTW, I've noticed the battery charger seems to be getting really warm, almost hot, when I charge the Como (brand new - got it in April). Anyone else notice that with their specialized chargers? (my chargers for my other bike/battery only get mildly warm if that).

DAMN, Stefan, look at you go! Bet you never saw this coming when you climbed on the ebike for that first ride. You're a monster!
Thank you very much, Dave! I need to give a credit to my first cousin ("brother") Jacek Mikulski who is an unrivalled ride companion, constantly inspires me to make longer and longer rides, and encourages me for more effort on our trips. Jacek (56) rides my 250 W hub-drive motor e-bike on a single 576 Wh battery and he's returning from the 70 mile ride still with more than 30% battery and he's riding constant 20 mph wherever possible. He is a monster! :D

1591469598091.png

Last edited:
BTW, I've noticed the battery charger seems to be getting really warm, almost hot, when I charge the Como (brand new - got it in April). Anyone else notice that with their specialized chargers? (my chargers for my other bike/battery only get mildly warm if that).
It's fairy normal. The charger is 4 A and can get very warm when it pours the juice into the battery. Just don't cover the charger.

It's interesting. Just for comparison, the Specialized 1.2s (Brose TF) delivers 520 W peak power but the max torque is 72 Nm against 90 in the Brose S. The Specialized 1.3 motor is the standard in e-MTB such as Turbo Levo. It is also used (with different tuning) in the new Vado 5.0.

An interesting observation from our 70-mile ride.
The 45% support/80% max motor power motor setting was appropriate for riding against a 25 km/h headwind. The range with the average speed over 28 km/h was 58.5 km. Riding downwind allowed reducing the support to 40% and such ride gave the potential range of 70 km. It was a lot of fun to be able to manipulate the pedalling-assistance parameters with Mission Control while riding!

Last edited:
An interesting observation from our 70-mile ride.
The 45% support/80% max motor power motor setting was appropriate for riding against a 25 km/h headwind. The range with the average speed over 28 km/h was 58.5 km. Riding downwind allowed reducing the support to 40% and such ride gave the potential range of 70% km. It was a lot of fun to be able to manipulate the pedalling-assistance parameters with Mission Control while riding!
Curious about the smart function in mission control. Aparently it maximizes battery life ? Perhaps at the expense of the chain ...

Back