Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Tim, oh no. Don't tell me I should do the same actions as you have done...
Only if you enjoy working on 'stuff'. Of course your LBS would be happy to do this annual ritual for you in exchange for $. I find it a relaxing way to spend a rainy afternoon...😎...and be sure my drivetrains are at their peak for the start of the 'season'...

I will say that others have reported more miles on their chains before replacement, but chains are relatively cheap. Replacing them each Spring, with regular cleanings in the interim, has guaranteed no drivetrain issues for decades now. I like those odds...😉

Ride on!

See you in Mazovia. Have that toaster ready! 🤣

Tim, I often talk about my brother Jacek, "the brotherly love re-discovered". He is of the rare type who really loves riding but his second (or first) favourite pastime is his workshop. I've lent him one of my e-bikes, the bike that was just after a complete and expensive re-haul, and he could still find some imperfections and fix them 🤣 When I am in the position to do next maintenance on any of my ebikes, I'd give him the entertainment of doing that for sure!

Not exactly the toster; how would that be called in English?
1590901825625.png

Beware: It comes with the Euro electrical plug!

When should I call the cleaning woman to come, then? :D

Tim, I often talk about my brother Jacek, "the brotherly love re-discovered". He is of the rare type who really loves riding but his second (or first) favourite pastime is his workshop. I've lent him one of my e-bikes, the bike that was just after a complete and expensive re-haul, and he could still find some imperfections and fix them 🤣 When I am in the position to do next maintenance on any of my ebikes, I'd give him the entertainment of doing that for sure!

Not exactly the toster; how would that be called in English?
View attachment 53898
Beware: It comes with the Euro electrical plug!

When should I call the cleaning woman to come, then? :D
We in the States call that a waffle iron. I am particularly fond of what we call 'Belgian Waffles'; very soft sweet centers with a crunchy crust...🤤.

Hey, changing a euro plug for a north american version is a 'piece of cake'...😂, esp when there's a free 'toaster' at stake!

Finalizing our trip arrangements now, if we can ever get out quarantine orders lifted...stand by...😎.. stranger things have happened!

Finalizing our trip arrangements now, if we can ever get out quarantine orders lifted...stand by...😎.. stranger things have happened!
It would be really funny if you landed in Warsaw Poland at the same time I'd arrive to San Francisco CA 🙃

It would be really funny if you landed in Warsaw Poland at the same time I'd arrive to San Francisco CA 🙃
I recently had a conversation with a member on this forum and he had been visiting Sweden many years ago. I told him I had been cycling in California (1 day) in the summer 1980. He then told me 1980 was the summer he visited Sweden. Maybe not an extraordinary coincidence but still funny that the two of us end up discussing ebikes exactly 40 years later.

Rode my Como up a
87063329-8A59-4F95-90A1-36FC4B27F674.jpeg
mountain today. It’s a pass I have climbed many times on other bikes. Wanted to see how the Como did on a 3 mile sustained climbing of 6-8% grade. It did great. I climbed most of the way in sport mode but switched to turbo the last quarter mile. Rode 6-8 mph. I did the climb after I had ridden 10 miles. Got home with 16.7 miles for the ride and 56% on the battery. Weirdly the battery read 53% at the top of the mountain and 56% when I got home. The earlier part of the ride also had a bit of climbing.

For some people at EBR, e-bikes are like a collection of baseball cards. Personally I don't have enough room for more than 1 bike. I've often debated on whether I'm fortunate or not to live with that predicament. I tend to lean on the side of fortunate. I think it would drive me nuts to have to maintain multiple bikes! :)
We're down to 4 bikes; 1 mech and 1 ebike each for my wife and I. Before the kids went off to college we had up to 10 bikes in the shop, plus whatever bikes the MTB Team members would bring by to work on!

OK, we built a separate bldg for the bike shop, ski boat, kayaks & canoes, SCUBA gear, backpacking, camping, etc. You might say that it was out of control, but what fun..😂

Now that we're in our 70's and all the kids have their own families we have cut back, but the grandkids need these experiences, too..😎

I would probably be most happy with a single e-bike but a single e-bike cannot serve such multiple purposes as fast touring and offroad riding at the same time... Also, I keep two touring-capable e-bikes (Vado & Lovelec) to be able to have e-bike rides with another person (eventually that would be my gf when the lockdown is really over, now it's my brother).

1590980730818.png

Vado (and Lovelec) hopelessly stuck in sand.

Well, OK, JV, I understand your position.
In my case:
  • Class 3 Vado is perfect for roads. I could understand it on yesterday's 100-km ride. My brother riding the Lovelec is extremely fit but after 60 km of fighting the headwind (which I took lightly on the Vado) he started falling behind on the road while my Vado cut the small hills like a knife cutting butter. Given enough of electrons, Vado zooms steadily regardless the outer circumstances, and bear in mind my legs are fairly weak;
  • Lovelec is perfect for comfortable riding on long tours under heavy load as long as you accept it is not a speed demon and you travel in the flatland. It is very economical on the battery. And I can legally use it as any other bicycle, specifically on bike paths;
  • Giant Trance E+ is purely a trail machine and is better not used on-road (tyre noise, low speed) unless serious hills are involved. (The Trance does more than OK on very steep hilly roads).
Now, luckily I own a car large enough to transport my bikes (one at a time). The only sense to own the Trance E+ is to transport it to offroad terrain. Then what a pleasure to ride where many bikes even don't dare to enter ;) Had I my Trance yesterday, I would be flying through the sand but I wouldn't make 100 km with it.

Different life positions, different needs. I've never been a collector; I've always been buying things I intended to use.

The Vado Metric Century Ride

Last edited:
By collector, I didn't mean that people don't use them.
You are very right JayVee but the collector thing is a universal phenomenon. I laughed loudly seeing some American bassists buying, say, ten different Chinese electric basses (crap but looking nice and in different colours), putting them all on a sofa and proudly presenting the instruments on a forum photo :D Or, music collectors who will never find time to listen to hundreds if not thousands their vinyls or CDs. Let them have it.

I honestly admit I've got one e-bike too many but will need it in the future. Presently, my brother rides that bike, which is good for him and for the bike as well. An un-ridden e-bike breaks from standing idle. And I agree with you the maintenance cost of multiple e-bikes is high.

I reckon a single well-equipped FS HS R&M e-bike might perform its role as a single e-bike but... It is heavy. And you need to lift your e-bike upstairs :D

A Vado or a more recent Haibike Trekking is probably a better option. I have 30,000 kms on my current bike. If the drive breaks, I'll buy a new bike immediately. So I might actually have two bikes at one point. I'll have to rent some "temporary storage" if that happens. :D
Funny that you should say this.

As my wife and I were out riding our matching Haibike Trekking 7.0's yesterday I was thinking to myself that if I could only have 1 e-bike, it would be the Haibike Trekking.

There is no doubt in my mind that my Vado is an incredible bike. However it does seem to use its battery faster, and is just not quite as multi-purpose as the Trekking 7.0. Plus the riding position on the 7.0 is just so comfortable.

Picked up the Vado today with new chain and new chain ring. No more chirping noise. Ahhhh that quiet sound of Vado is back.
Took two weeks to get the chain ring and had to ride it with the noise of new chain and old chain ring...
They even installed the narrow wide correctly. Hoooraaaaa...@sierratim

Attachments

• CC52C0B8-BA93-4BF6-A2C4-0C00B8B0FAA6.jpeg
    CC52C0B8-BA93-4BF6-A2C4-0C00B8B0FAA6.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
I’ve been lurking here for a bit but today I finally joined the club. I bought a Como 5.0 a week ago and today the shop called me to say it was in and ready. My LBS allowed be to switch out the pizza rack for a Topeak trunkbag. I also have some RaceFace pedals on order. I was able to take a short 10 mile ride today. LOVE it so far. One issue with Mission Control. I tried to record my ride. It seems to have all the right info (time, distance, etc), but for some reason the map view was completely wrong. It just showed a triangle route like I had just ridden down the street and back, not sure why. Attaching a few pics.

Attachments

• A38507DA-1CE2-4717-912F-503FC9FC549B.jpeg
    A38507DA-1CE2-4717-912F-503FC9FC549B.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 376
  • E265C4FD-52DA-41E3-9BED-EA943F70C03B.jpeg
    E265C4FD-52DA-41E3-9BED-EA943F70C03B.jpeg
    504.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 1097276A-ABD6-431B-A3ED-6285AF377477.jpeg
    1097276A-ABD6-431B-A3ED-6285AF377477.jpeg
    620.8 KB · Views: 376
I’ve been lurking here for a bit but today I finally joined the club. I bought a Como 5.0 a week ago and today the shop called me to say it was in and ready. My LBS allowed be to switch out the pizza rack for a Topeak trunkbag. I also have some RaceFace pedals on order. I was able to take a short 10 mile ride today. LOVE it so far. One issue with Mission Control. I tried to record my ride. It seems to have all the right info (time, distance, etc), but for some reason the map view was completely wrong. It just showed a triangle route like I had just ridden down the street and back, not sure why. Attaching a few pics.
Beeeeeyouuuuuteeeee
Enjoy. The journey begins. Love

Ordered 14 May, arrived 2 June, delivery taken 3 June. The Dove has alighted. Walked to my LBS in 90°F heat with helmet in hand. Giddiness / absentmindedness made me forget the needed pannier. LBS suggested a test drive. I rode home and picked up the pannier. Rode back to the LBS to collect the charger and paperwork. And a Z-cage. It was 100°F for the final ride home, but I took it to 27mph on the flat ... for the breeze. It’s only hot when you stop.
E4D0ECDD-3E65-4139-BEBA-3BE1FB306BF8.jpeg

Back