Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I got my Como 4.0 about a month ago. Already 500 miles on it. Fabulous bike! I’ve had several ebikes going back to 2007, and I’ve had many other bikes. Some very high quality bikes. This Como is just superb. Very smooth and solid feeling. Rides like a truly high quality bike. I do have a couple of nits. Such a refined bike and the stupid cheap battery connector cover. The derailleur is a little rough on upshifts. i upgraded the pedals an added a thudbuster seatpost. The front fender rattles on rough spots. Kickstand is too long. An incredibly fun and satisfying bike to ride. Fun to ride slow or fast. Just feels great.

I got my Como 4.0 about a month ago. Already 500 miles on it. Fabulous bike! I’ve had several ebikes going back to 2007, and I’ve had many other bikes. Some very high quality bikes. This Como is just superb. Very smooth and solid feeling. Rides like a truly high quality bike. I do have a couple of nits. Such a refined bike and the stupid cheap battery connector cover. The derailleur is a little rough on upshifts. i upgraded the pedals an added a thudbuster seatpost. The front fender rattles on rough spots. Kickstand is too long. An incredibly fun and satisfying bike to ride. Fun to ride slow or fast. Just feels great.
Some pics please, Katy!

Could be a good option for the spare bottle indeed.
NOW! After 7 months of waiting, I got the TCD-W upgrade. They even had to replace the rear mudguard and the rack! Can you see something peculiar in my Tune settings?

View attachment 53766
Also ECO has 50% support while SPORT has just 35%. Reversed from my settings. @Stefan Mikes, is this what you intended or is it a glitch?

Could be a good option for the spare bottle indeed.
NOW! After 7 months of waiting, I got the TCD-W upgrade. They even had to replace the rear mudguard and the rack! Can you see something peculiar in my Tune settings?

View attachment 53766
OK, I have to admit that I do also find it odd that the Tune setting titles are in english while the rest of the display is in Polish (just assuming, but it's not English!).

the Tune setting titles are in english
Eh? Only Eco, Sport and Turbo are in English!
The riddle solved: I have made low-power settings for Sport and medium-power settings for Eco. Therefore, the default Assist Mode is "Sport" but with low-power assistance! So, Tim, you were right!

Art: I need power while riding with my brother. If I ride leisurely myself, 35/50 is fine with long range. However, Jacek is a mighty rider and he's got my Lovelec now. He + the PAS 1 of Lovelec are about as much as my legs with 50/100 Vado support!

Finally, I have found the right water-bottle-cage for my Vado (Topeak DualSide Cage). The benefit is I can remove and replace the battery even with the cage on (had problems with other cages before); even long bottles fit, and I can manipulate the bottle from a side. The drawbacks are I actually need yet another cage for the spare battery, and the battery wouldn't fit in the Ortlieb E-mate pannier anymore.

Is that kind of a disposable water bottle popular in your area?

View attachment 53762
I had originally put a side pull cage on my wife's Vado and found that it did make removing the battery a bit more difficult. As it turns out, she prefers to keep her bottle(s) in her handle bar mounted 'feedbags'. I mounted her folding Abus lock on the battery. Problem solved, and a happy wife. A two-fer, as they say...😎

blackburn-outpost-carryall-handlebar-bag-.jpg

The riddle solved: I have made low-power settings for Sport and medium-power settings for Eco. Therefore, the default Assist Mode is "Sport" but with low-power assistance! So, Tim, you were right!

Art: I need power while riding with my brother. If I ride leisurely myself, 35/50 is fine with long range. However, Jacek is a mighty rider and he's got my Lovelec now. He + the PAS 1 of Lovelec are about as much as my legs with 50/100 Vado support!
Is there a prize?....🤣

So is Jacek keeping the Lovelec? If so, maybe you could get yourself another ebike to replace it. 🙂
One can never have too many ebikes!!

Solves the issue of default staring in sport. I see.

I've got a couple of water bottle holders ordered from Amazon which seem to allow for more flexibility of mounting position:

61%2BQo8wjh1L._AC_SL1389_.jpg

51PoMwFzjCL._AC_.jpg

These may work for stem, bar or other bottle positioning on more casual bikes, like the Haibike Trekking. Don't yet know whether mounting a bottle up front will cause the cockpit to become too cluttered, but they were relatively inexpensive and I figured worth a try.

Is there a prize?....🤣
Yep, a toster. Collectable in Brwinów, MZ, Poland, Europe 🤣

So is Jacek keeping the Lovelec? If so, maybe you could get yourself another ebike to replace it. 🙂
One can never have too many ebikes!!
The Lovelec has got so many expensive upgrades (and an air shock fork's coming) I would rather not part with it ;) It would be hard to get another factory-unrestricted e-bike here... I'd rather wait until the economy improves post-covid and Jacek starts earning his good money again! Then I would convince him to buy a good e-MTB himself (and de-restrict it!) In all honesty, @Marci jo, I cannot find yet another e-bike to dream about :D I've got an S-Pedelec; an e-MTB, and e-touring bike. What's remaining? e-road bike, but I don't like riding road bikes! What else? Inspire me!

I've got a couple of water bottle holders ordered from Amazon which seem to allow for more flexibility of mounting position:
Oh, I got me yet another side-grab cage and mounted it on the spare Vado battery... Surprisingly, the Bontrager is even better than the Topeak one. Besides, could anyone explain:
What is the "Trek Black"colour? Is it blackestest?! 🤣

Solves the issue of default staring in sport. I see.
Precisely!

No need to apologize. It's just me expressing my frustration with all of it.
I sympathise with you ❤

Well, what I had meant to post was;

@Stefan Mikes , be careful. With incentives like this, you never know who may show up at your door...😎

My wife is looking at a bike tour catalog with the Poland tour bookmarked!

61%2BQo8wjh1L._AC_SL1389_.jpg

51PoMwFzjCL._AC_.jpg

These may work for stem, bar or other bottle positioning on more casual bikes, like the Haibike Trekking. Don't yet know whether mounting a bottle up front will cause the cockpit to become too cluttered, but they were relatively inexpensive and I figured worth a try.
We carry extra water bottles in cages attached to the fork arms with Two Fish adapters.
71K6dBiVDNL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Very secure on pavement. They do tend to move on rougher surfaces like rutted gravel. I added blackened worm drive clamps over rubber isolates under the adapters that resolved this.

So this AM was cool and very wet with thunder, lightning and hail. A good day for the annual chain replacements.

Removed the originals chains and cleaned and lubed the rear derailleur and the chain ring.

On the Vados I installed 126t Shimano CN-HG701-11 chains shortened to 120t with their matching master link. Made sure to match the alignment graphic on the inside of the chain ring to get the chain correctly aligned with the wide/narrow teeth. Their master links are a bit of a challenge to get them to snap closed. After checking with my consultants (MTBer sons), I positioned the partially closed master link at the top of the chain, pulled hard on the rear brake and pushed on the pedal. The link clicked closed after applying more pressure on the pedal than I would have thought necessary, but, hey it worked, with no special tools!

On to the cassette. I have cleaned this in place several times over the past year but after ~1,000 miles it was ready for deep cleaning. I was surprised that it breaks down into 16 pieces when removed from the wheel😯.
20200530_135442.jpg

I made sure to keep all the parts in their relative reassembly order, observing front/back for each cog as well. This pic was after cleaning and wiping down with a WD40 soaked rag. Here's the grime that came off;
20200530_135522.jpg

The fluid in the bottle was what it was like before cleaning the cassette😖.

Reassembled the cassette on the hub with a bit of anti-sieze compound on the splines.
20200530_141435.jpg

Reinstalled the tire with the new thorn strips, cleaned the rotor, blowout the brake caliper and mounted the wheel.

20200530_143022.jpg

Shiny and ready for another year..😀

Repeated 3 more times. Who says you can never have too many bikes🙄

Done. It must be beer-30 somewhere.

Hey, the sun came out! Spring in the Sierras.

Tomorrow will be a great day to ride...😎

So this AM was cool and very wet with thunder, lightning and hail. A good day for the annual chain replacements.

Removed the originals chains and cleaned and lubed the rear derailleur and the chain ring.

On the Vados I installed 126t Shimano CN-HG701-11 chains shortened to 120t with their matching master link. Made sure to match the alignment graphic on the inside of the chain ring to get the chain correctly aligned with the wide/narrow teeth. Their master links are a bit of a challenge to get them to snap closed. After checking with my consultants (MTBer sons), I positioned the partially closed master link at the top of the chain, pulled hard on the rear brake and pushed on the pedal. The link clicked closed after applying more pressure on the pedal than I would have thought necessary, but, hey it worked, with no special tools!

On to the cassette. I have cleaned this in place several times over the past year but after ~1,000 miles it was ready for deep cleaning. I was surprised that it breaks down into 16 pieces when removed from the wheel😯.
View attachment 53868

I made sure to keep all the parts in their relative reassembly order, observing front/back for each cog as well. This pic was after cleaning and wiping down with a WD40 soaked rag. Here's the grime that came off;
View attachment 53865
The fluid in the bottle was what it was like before cleaning the cassette😖.

Reassembled the cassette on the hub with a bit of anti-sieze compound on the splines.
View attachment 53866
Reinstalled the tire with the new thorn strips, cleaned the rotor, blowout the brake caliper and mounted the wheel.

View attachment 53867
Shiny and ready for another year..😀

Repeated 3 more times. Who says you can never have too many bikes🙄

Done. It must be beer-30 somewhere.

Hey, the sun came out! Spring in the Sierras.

Tomorrow will be a great day to ride...😎
Very impressive!

Back